Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f7ec0d4cac2b/ged-roddy-mbe-appointed-as-technical-director

"His primary focus will be planning and implementing the club’s long-term footballing strategy with the initial aim of helping the club stabilise and ultimately getting the club back to the Premier League."

Snap @RedChaser
  • https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5f7ec0d4cac2b/ged-roddy-mbe-appointed-as-technical-director

"His primary focus will be planning and implementing the club’s long-term footballing strategy with the initial aim of helping the club stabilise and ultimately getting the club back to the Premier League."

Snap @RedChaser
    You snooze you lose 😉 Great minds though 😎.
  • Feels like slowly but surely the majority are starting to feel a bit miffed by what we thought was going to be an exciting transfer window turning in to a damp squib 
  • Didn’t TS say signings would be made on the last day of the window?
  • Scoham said:
    Fans losing patience and speculating/sharing rumours on Twitter that we’re doing this badly in the window because Roddy’s interfering and out of his depth.
    Which is untrue .. SG in charge of recruitment and works closely with NA and TS .. Roddy was brought in to rebuild the sponsorship and advertising department and get the clubs name back out there in a good light .. 
    Roddy has nothing to do with sponsorship or advertising etc etc, he’s the Technical Director, overseeing footballing matters. 
  • edited August 2021
    Feels like slowly but surely the majority are starting to feel a bit miffed by what we thought was going to be an exciting transfer window turning in to a damp squib 
    Very Very slowly...in fact 550 rumour pages long!! B)
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Well Bet 365 clearly don’t see us as title challengers 🤷🏻‍♂️
    I talk to Steve Freeth most weeks and he does see us as challengers - I've told him as much! We clearly do not want to lay Charlton!
    But he's a West Brom fan so what does he know!

Seriously, he's a very knowledgeable guy, especially when it comes to lower league football.

• edited August 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Didn’t TS say signings would be made on the last day of the window?
    Yes but that seems to be conveniently forgotten by the trolls and the bed wetters. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Nothing is happening anywhere in league one at the moment. It’s a really strange pre season . 
    Not according to the BBC, the link below shows activity for the last 5 days and it as been that busy for a number of weeks.

League One | BBC Sport
  • edited August 2021
    Feels like slowly but surely the majority are starting to feel a bit miffed by what we thought was going to be an exciting transfer window turning in to a damp squib 
    I mean, some have been miffed since late May.

It is what it is. Would I have liked to have seen more signings by now? Of course. Is there still time in the window to get the right deals done? Yep.

It would've been nice to win the transfer excitement stakes this summer but in terms of what actually matters (results on the pitch), I don't doubt that we are going to be there or thereabouts by May 2022 so sit tight and let's see what the first few results of the new season are.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Yes but that seems to be conveniently forgotten by the trolls and the bed wetters. 
    If he said that then he’s more nieve than we’d hoped he would be. Ever heard the phrase we tried but couldn’t get them over the line in time before ? Getting deals done on the last few days let alone last day is fraught with danger. They fall through and you e nowhere to go. 
    He didn't mean it on the context of we will wait until the last day.  He ment it in the context of a lot of stuff will happen late, for the multiple reason that have been done to death in here for weeks.

I really don't understand why people can't see it. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    JamesSeed said:
    If he said that then he’s more nieve than we’d hoped he would be. Ever heard the phrase we tried but couldn’t get them over the line in time before ? Getting deals done on the last few days let alone last day is fraught with danger. They fall through and you e nowhere to go. 
    He didn't mean it on the context of we will wait until the last day.  He ment it in the context of a lot of stuff will happen late, for the multiple reason that have been done to death in here for weeks.

I really don't understand why people can't see it. 
    They can but it’s boring waiting.

It’ll stop after Saturday when we’ve got games to look back on and ahead to. Especially when we beat Wednesday and realise our first 11 is pretty decent. 
  • Good to see Stockley and Dobson being highlighted in that video. 
    But Ipswich or Wigan didn’t sign them so they must be shit
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Charlton are going to rely on their younger players because that is the argument to make the better kids sign for Cafc in the first place. If they don't see a route through to the first team we will lose out on even more talented youngsters. Catch 22 for Cafc as we need the journey men players as well and the 21-24 age group who may be next Vardy, Holt or Lambert,(Ajose normally)
    So difficult for Steve Gallen 
    In the last 30 years you can probably count on one hand the number of kids that have had to leave Charlton because they didn't get a chance.  Some left because they weren't good enough for where we are and we passed them on the way down.

I think that's a ridiculous argument to not sign players, if it's true, or you think it's true. 

What is true is how difficult it is to hold on to the top talent in the younger age group.
    We held on to Joe Gomez but couldn't with Casey Palmer and this is still happening in the younger groups which you won't even hear about unless you are a parent, guardian or work in youth academies or do the rounds of youth football. I mean the 12 and 13 year olds that we want to possibly play in our first team at 17 or 18 like Joe and Ademola Lookman. They may not progress to men's football but Cafc are trying to nurture them and hope they mature to the first team. We are working so hard to keep this young talent at Charlton.
    Lookman only joined Cafc from Waterloo fc at 16 instead of a couple of other offers he had because his representatives were told if he did well over the next 18 months he would be given a chance to progress. Lots of ifs and buts, but this really is Charlton USP when parents bring their kids to potentially join Cafc. Football clubs are dream sellers; All of them not just Cafc.
    Lookman in Cafc 1st team at 18 and an Everton player sold for 8 million and potential 3 million add-ons.
    From Waterloo in the Tandridge youth league at 16 to Premier League at 19, that's what you call fast track ! 

You win nothing with kids but you need 3 or 4 to give you legs ! Just ask JJ and Watson what happens when your legs go.
  • Sponsored links:

• That’s fair enough but the consequences will be we play until January with what we have. Not the best way of getting to the PL in five years. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Scoham said:
    Fans losing patience and speculating/sharing rumours on Twitter that we’re doing this badly in the window because Roddy’s interfering and out of his depth.
    Which is untrue .. SG in charge of recruitment and works closely with NA and TS .. Roddy was brought in to rebuild the sponsorship and advertising department and get the clubs name back out there in a good light .. 
    Give it a rest you clown.
    We're not interested in your non stop nonsense on here.
    Stick to where they welcome it. Thanks.
    Ronnie will now go quiet for a day or so and then return Saturday with some fresh nonsense.

Cut Bex.. Co.. Ronnie some slack - he's always good for a laugh!
  • 551 AD - the Byzantine army recapture the fortress of Petra, located on the coast of the Black Sea, despite initial worries that the army was weak in attack and hadn't recruited enough soldiers over the summer period.

(Apologies to Happy Valley)
  • That’s fair enough but the consequences will be we play until January with what we have. Not the best way of getting to the PL in five years. 
    The squad isn’t set at 5:30 on Saturday, you know that 
  • 28 Days of transfer window to go.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Charlton are going to rely on their younger players because that is the argument to make the better kids sign for Cafc in the first place. If they don't see a route through to the first team we will lose out on even more talented youngsters. Catch 22 for Cafc as we need the journey men players as well and the 21-24 age group who may be next Vardy, Holt or Lambert,(Ajose normally)
    So difficult for Steve Gallen 
    In the last 30 years you can probably count on one hand the number of kids that have had to leave Charlton because they didn't get a chance.  Some left because they weren't good enough for where we are and we passed them on the way down.

I think that's a ridiculous argument to not sign players, if it's true, or you think it's true. 

What is true is how difficult it is to hold on to the top talent in the younger age group.
    We held on to Joe Gomez but couldn't with Casey Palmer and this is still happening in the younger groups which you won't even hear about unless you are a parent, guardian or work in youth academies or do the rounds of youth football. I mean the 12 and 13 year olds that we want to possibly play in our first team at 17 or 18 like Joe and Ademola Lookman. They may not progress to men's football but Cafc are trying to nurture them and hope they mature to the first team. We are working so hard to keep this young talent at Charlton.
    Lookman only joined Cafc from Waterloo fc at 16 instead of a couple of other offers he had because his representatives were told if he did well over the next 18 months he would be given a chance to progress. Lots of ifs and buts, but this really is Charlton USP when parents bring their kids to potentially join Cafc. Football clubs are dream sellers; All of them not just Cafc 

You win nothing with kids but you need 3 or 4 to give you legs ! Just ask JJ and Watson what happens when your legs go.
    But then we're not a "feeder club" either, existing to bring youngsters on and sell them, which to an extent is how the other CAFC Crewe operate - a team full of academy graduates, who will move on to bigger clubs.

Yes we want to produce academy players and give them a chance, but not at the expense of missing promotion out of L1
  • Rothko said:
    That’s fair enough but the consequences will be we play until January with what we have. Not the best way of getting to the PL in five years. 
    Of course not and I’m sure we’ll sign a few more. What I’m commenting on is that intending to make the bulk of your signings in the last few days has its risks. Fine if it works out but if it doesn’t then the consequences are we don’t go up this season. We won’t go up with what we currently have. 
  • See Mungo Bridge getting a mention. He is my nephew’s best friend. I’ll have a word  ;)

It's good to be ITK.
    But your famous Weegie I've seen you on the TV and heard you on the radio and Zoom.
    Your like our version of Alex Scott or maybe Gabby Logan  :)
  • edited August 2021
    Nothing is set in stone.

You do not know that we won't be promoted with this squad. It's unlikely, but not impossible.

It's incredibly unlikely the squad will be as it is now on the 2nd September.

Realistically we will have supporting options if it's looking like the primary, secondary or even tertiary options aren't working out. 

It's incredibly unlikely that this will be a problem for every position.
  • Rothko said:
    That’s fair enough but the consequences will be we play until January with what we have. Not the best way of getting to the PL in five years. 
    Of course not and I’m sure we’ll sign a few more. What I’m commenting on is that intending to make the bulk of your signings in the last few days has its risks. Fine if it works out but if it doesn’t then the consequences are we don’t go up this season. We won’t go up with what we currently have. 
    And there's also the risk that we end up overpaying because we're desperate to bring players in, and other clubs know that

The brinkmanship works both ways
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!