Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    Nothing is set in stone.

You do not know that we won't be promoted with this squad. It's unlikely, but not impossible.
    Well if there was a poll I’m sure not many would think we have a squad enough to go up but yes it’s possible. 
  • sounds like too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
    I think the preferred term now is native Americans.

But two heads are better than one and many hands make light work v too many cooks spoil the broth
    I think the preferred term now is native Americans.

But two heads are better than one and many hands make light work v too many cooks spoil the broth

A stitch in time saves nine.
  • edited August 2021
    There is always a pathway to the first team for a young player at Charlton. More than most clubs. It is basically to play well enough to get into the first team. It isn't to get put in the team because there is nobody else available. 
    Oh no!! Gallen isn’t scouting in India is he?!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    There is always a pathway to the first team for a young player at Charlton. More than most clubs. It is basically to play well enough to get into the first team. It isn't to get put in the team because there is nobody else available. 

Spot on.
    Dempsey, Vennings and Davidson in the Championship and Grant at 17 in the championship. Injuries caused those situations but we were skinny on numbers.

It must be on merit

• paulfox said:
    sounds like too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
    Oh no!! Gallen isn’t scouting in India is he?!! 
    White man speak with forked tongue.
  • supaclive said:
    No recognised left back
    No recognised left midfieldee
    Two centre forwards 

We are a couple of injuries from bare bones

I'm not expecting us to spend millions but fuck me, we'll end up staying in this pub division at this rate.
    Shame the transfer window is shut, hey

I honestly give up with some.

as a smart young man born at Farnborough Hospital once said, ‘the worst thing about supporting Charlton, is other Charlton supporters’, and this summer has fired my patience to its limits   
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Charlton are going to rely on their younger players because that is the argument to make the better kids sign for Cafc in the first place. If they don't see a route through to the first team we will lose out on even more talented youngsters. Catch 22 for Cafc as we need the journey men players as well and the 21-24 age group who may be next Vardy, Holt or Lambert,(Ajose normally)
    So difficult for Steve Gallen 
    In the last 30 years you can probably count on one hand the number of kids that have had to leave Charlton because they didn't get a chance.  Some left because they weren't good enough for where we are and we passed them on the way down.

I think that's a ridiculous argument to not sign players, if it's true, or you think it's true. 

What is true is how difficult it is to hold on to the top talent in the younger age group.
    We held on to Joe Gomez but couldn't with Casey Palmer and this is still happening in the younger groups which you won't even hear about unless you are a parent, guardian or work in youth academies or do the rounds of youth football. I mean the 12 and 13 year olds that we want to possibly play in our first team at 17 or 18 like Joe and Ademola Lookman. They may not progress to men's football but Cafc are trying to nurture them and hope they mature to the first team. We are working so hard to keep this young talent at Charlton.
    Lookman only joined Cafc from Waterloo fc at 16 instead of a couple of other offers he had because his representatives were told if he did well over the next 18 months he would be given a chance to progress. Lots of ifs and buts, but this really is Charlton USP when parents bring their kids to potentially join Cafc. Football clubs are dream sellers; All of them not just Cafc.
    Lookman in Cafc 1st team at 18 and an Everton player sold for 8 million and potential 3 million add-ons.
    From Waterloo in the Tandridge youth league at 16 to Premier League at 19, that's what you call fast track ! 

You win nothing with kids but you need 3 or 4 to give you legs ! Just ask JJ and Watson what happens when your legs go.
    I am not disputing any of that, if they are good enough they will play.  Unless you want us to turn in to a south east London version of Crewe?

Do you honestly think players leave us because they can't see away into the first team?  Did Casey Palmer, an example you used, leave us because he saw a path way to first team football at Chelsea, that he didn't see at Charlton?

Yes our top talent leaves, but it doesn't leave because there is no path to the first team.  They leave because of two reasons, well actually 3, money, they think they will get better coaching and international exposure at a "bigger club" or lastly they don't get on with the staff, for what ever reason.

When was the last time we blocked a young player from the 1st team?  That was good enough? 
  • Wrong as Ronnie Moore is, surprise, surprise, Mumford had a more impressive playing career than Roddy.

But Mumford went into sales and Roddy into coaching.

TS has said it's a four person recruitment team, TS, SG, NA and GR.

Gallen for me is a proven successful recruiter, Roddy not proven but we don't know what he does or doesn't contribute.

I suspect Gallen takes the lead and does all the hard yards and the others contribute based on what Adkins wants
    It’s also plausible that NA as a more experienced manager is saying no to some options (for now)  being put forward and happy to trust the wider squad when in previous years we might have taken what we can get. 
  • edited August 2021
    Amen @bobmunro

The last time we got promoted, we started the first game of the season with a midfield of Mark Marshall, George Lapslie and Darren Pratley. We were unable to fill the bench.

Yes, the front three of Taylor Grant Aribo all turned out to be excellent players but little was expected of Grant and Aribo before a ball was kicked.

Stockley will bag the goals, DJ and Albie will have breakout seasons and Conor Washington is no mug at this level.

It’s gonna be a good season for our lads. Believe.
    supaclive said:
    No recognised left back
    No recognised left midfieldee
    Two centre forwards 

We are a couple of injuries from bare bones

I'm not expecting us to spend millions but fuck me, we'll end up staying in this pub division at this rate.
    2 posts from different people, 6 minutes apart, this thread is gold! 
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Charlton are going to rely on their younger players because that is the argument to make the better kids sign for Cafc in the first place. If they don't see a route through to the first team we will lose out on even more talented youngsters. Catch 22 for Cafc as we need the journey men players as well and the 21-24 age group who may be next Vardy, Holt or Lambert,(Ajose normally)
    So difficult for Steve Gallen 
    In the last 30 years you can probably count on one hand the number of kids that have had to leave Charlton because they didn't get a chance.  Some left because they weren't good enough for where we are and we passed them on the way down.

I think that's a ridiculous argument to not sign players, if it's true, or you think it's true. 

What is true is how difficult it is to hold on to the top talent in the younger age group.
    We held on to Joe Gomez but couldn't with Casey Palmer and this is still happening in the younger groups which you won't even hear about unless you are a parent, guardian or work in youth academies or do the rounds of youth football. I mean the 12 and 13 year olds that we want to possibly play in our first team at 17 or 18 like Joe and Ademola Lookman. They may not progress to men's football but Cafc are trying to nurture them and hope they mature to the first team. We are working so hard to keep this young talent at Charlton.
    Lookman only joined Cafc from Waterloo fc at 16 instead of a couple of other offers he had because his representatives were told if he did well over the next 18 months he would be given a chance to progress. Lots of ifs and buts, but this really is Charlton USP when parents bring their kids to potentially join Cafc. Football clubs are dream sellers; All of them not just Cafc.
    Lookman in Cafc 1st team at 18 and an Everton player sold for 8 million and potential 3 million add-ons.
    From Waterloo in the Tandridge youth league at 16 to Premier League at 19, that's what you call fast track ! 

You win nothing with kids but you need 3 or 4 to give you legs ! Just ask JJ and Watson what happens when your legs go.
    I am not disputing any of that, if they are good enough they will play.  Unless you want us to turn in to a south east London version of Crewe?

Do you honestly think players leave us because they can't see away into the first team?  Did Casey Palmer, an example you used, leave us because he saw a path way to first team football at Chelsea, that he didn't see at Charlton?

Yes our top talent leaves, but it doesn't leave because there is no path to the first team.  They leave because of two reasons, well actually 3, money, they think they will get better coaching and international exposure at a "bigger club" or lastly they don't get on with the staff, for what ever reason.

When was the last time we blocked a young player from the 1st team?  That was good enough? 
    Poyet left us to be a reserve when it could be argued he would have been the first name on our team sheet! I can't think of any blockages since then. If they play well enough they will get a chance. 
  • It’s interesting how everyone reacts differently.

Your view @Rothko that the transfer window doesn’t close for another few weeks is of course 100% correct and valid, that’s a fact. 

But equally a view that our squad is as incomplete as it currently stands starting the season is of course subjective, but I really don’t see how anyone can put up a strong argument against it. 
    Has anyone said our squad is complete? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    It’s interesting how everyone reacts differently.

Your view @Rothko that the transfer window doesn’t close for another few weeks is of course 100% correct and valid, that’s a fact. 

But equally a view that our squad is as incomplete as it currently stands starting the season is of course subjective, but I really don’t see how anyone can put up a strong argument against it. 
    I certainly haven’t, I’m just confident that with the remaining weeks of the window the squad will be improved on. 
  • Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    It’s interesting how everyone reacts differently.

I certainly haven’t, I’m just confident that with the remaining weeks of the window the squad will be improved on. 
    Exactly, the divide is obviously between those that know our squad is not complete and don't think we will improve it and those that know our squad is not complete and are confident we will improve it.

I haven't seen a single person say what we have is good enough. 
  • It’s interesting how everyone reacts differently.

I don’t think it’s black and white. Both can be true, and are true for the majority of clubs in this league. From that point, it’s just whether you’re glass half full or half empty.
    I think most if not all of us were hoping that we’d have a squad that puts us ahead of the pack. Maybe not every team but the vast majority. There is of course still time but as of the first game of the season our squad is insufficient and we still need to recruit a minimum of five players, in my view seven. We’re leaving it late. I trust the management team but there is no argument we’re leaving it late. We’re in a pack of eight or nine clubs and that’s not exactly how I expected things to pan out. It is what it is.
  • And if we are talking about the pathway to the first team being a major attraction in attracting kids to our academy, it's worth noting that none of AMB, Clayden, Ghandour, Barker, Harness and Davison are really academy products, as all were signed when 16 or over.
  • And if we are talking about the pathway to the first team being a major attraction in attracting kids to our academy, it's worth noting that none of AMB, Clayden, Ghandour, Barker, Harness and Davison are really academy products, as all were signed when 16 or over.
    Yes but Charlton fans like to claim them they count as academy players, unless their name is Jermaine Defoe. 
  • always makes me laugh when people say this is a pub league - its the 3rd best division in England !!! A good number of the clubs in it could, and probably will swop places with a good number of those currently in the premier league within the next 5 - 10 years -  half the division will probably swop places with those in the championship - i think there is a much bigger gap between the prem and the champ than league 1 and the champ    
  • Two or three of the right players could make a massive difference. It can still happen, wherever those players come from. There were weaknesses in the team/squad at the start of last season and the team is probably a bit stronger and bench weaker. But no way we should be going overboard about our chances as we are now, even if we start ok. We should of course be willing to revise that assessment positively as appropriate as it isn't too late to address shortcomings in the squad. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!