Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    Billy_Mix said:
    I’ve mentioned this briefly before but one of the problems is the cost of housing/living in the SE.
    Attracting young unmarried players is not quite so much of a problem, however it does become quite a thing for older married players with families.
    To uproot from elsewhere and move down to the London area is a considerable increase in outgoings.
    Let’s say a three year deal is on offer. What do they do….buy or rent……take into consideration that they probably already own a property elsewhere as well?
    We then are at a distinct disadvantage because the salaries will be very similar wherever they are in the country, but ‘not’ the cost of living.
    Something to think about and certainly a factor to be taken into account.
    These players will be on £200k to £250k p.a.  that easily gets them a mortgage of £800k to £1M if they're even seriously considering buying.  Yes property prices are high in the SE London region but that sort of budget buys plenty to house a family
    If contracts are 3 years or less, they'll be looking to rent and the cost disparity there is much much smaller
    They've all got agents to help out with this sort of thing.  Charlton also has the very best in player support in TJL
    There's a reason houses are pricier hereabouts than in unflushed sewers like Portsmouth, Crewe, Wigan, Ipswich, Peterborough
    Chislehurst or Southsea?  Really  FFS Dartford's a much nicer place to be than any of those mentioned
    If it's any real factor, housing costs are way down a long list of issues.
    Agreed, league 1 players are still living the dream and want success/to play at a higher level. I seriously doubt the cost of a house in Bexley is a serious consideration if you have the choice of playing for Charlton or Fleetwood 
  • Billy_Mix said:
    I’ve mentioned this briefly before but one of the problems is the cost of housing/living in the SE.
    Attracting young unmarried players is not quite so much of a problem, however it does become quite a thing for older married players with families.
    To uproot from elsewhere and move down to the London area is a considerable increase in outgoings.
    Let’s say a three year deal is on offer. What do they do….buy or rent……take into consideration that they probably already own a property elsewhere as well?
    We then are at a distinct disadvantage because the salaries will be very similar wherever they are in the country, but ‘not’ the cost of living.
    These players will be on £200k to £250k p.a.  that easily gets them a mortgage of £800k to £1M if they're even seriously considering buying.  Yes property prices are high in the SE London region but that sort of budget buys plenty to house a family
    If contracts are 3 years or less, they'll be looking to rent and the cost disparity there is much much smaller
    They've all got agents to help out with this sort of thing.  Charlton also has the very best in player support in TJL
    There's a reason houses are pricier hereabouts than in unflushed sewers like Portsmouth, Crewe, Wigan, Ipswich, Peterborough
    Chislehurst or Southsea?  Really  FFS Dartford's a much nicer place to be than any of those mentioned
    yeah, most of Suffolk is a right shithole.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    How do you get a 30 year mortgage on a 3 year contract? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    I see Joe Randall has signed for the Posh this evening. 
    It’s Joel but to be honest it’s the sort of business I expected us to be doing this summer. Young, hungry players with the potential to improve and either take us on to the next level or be sold on for a massive fee. Peterborough have got this down to a tee. And a four year deal too.
    Being in the Championship helps. A lot.
    They’re in the Championship because they’ve had that policy for a number of years. It’s worked and they’re carrying on with it. Sounds sensible to me. As Large said. That’s what a lot of us thought would be Charltons strategy.
    That strategy also took Peterborough 8 years to get out of league 1.
    Peterborough are not a Sheffield Utd or Wednesday. Or a Charlton or an Ipswich or a Wigan. They are a relatively small town club that have found a way to improve their situation. speculate to accumulate. I think it arrogant to assume the teams I have mentioned above have any better chance of promotion from league one in eight years. 
    But they also don't lose 10 million a year just to stand still because they don't have the overheads that a Charlton, an Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday have. 
    That’s our problem not theirs. Their recruiting means they are progressing as a club. They spend quite big and sell quite big. Unless we find a way of getting out of league one we might well swap places with clubs like Peterborough permanently. 
    But very slowly. They were solid and sustainable, not successful. Like Cafc43v3r said, it took them 8 years, I can't see how that proves their strategy worked,  I don't want to be in League 1 for 8 years. 
    They've also had stable, sensible ownership for a lot longer than that where as we have had chaos and crooks.

It takes longer to reclimb a hill than it does to fall down it.
    Absolutely, totally agree. But do we really want to follow their lead and stay in the League for nearly a decade? They are a smaller club than us and have done ok, can't fault the way they have operated. However, if we bought a couple of players every summer for a total outlay of 1mil, then made a profit every summer of 3/4 mil on player sales without that money being reinvested, don't you think there would be uproar?
    I don't think we should follow their model any more than we should follow Brentford's.

We can learn from both but our issue hasn't been having good players to sell, we've had lots, it has been selling them too early, too cheap and then not re-investing that money in either the training ground (to get Cat 1 status as Roland said the Lookman money would be spent) or in other good players.

buy low, sell high is not really a new idea in football or anywhere else.

All true but Peterborough haven’t always “bought low” they have actually bought, for a league one club quite high and then sold on at a profit. 
    And I'm sure there are some they've bought and lost money on but they have had a few big successes buying lower and selling higher.

Indeed ..... Marcus Maddison for example?

They paid an undisclosed fee to Gateshead for him; and once he'd established himself in the Posh 1st team scoring goals and assists for fun, they valued him at over a million quid.

But they never did sell. And then he ran down his contract.
    He left for nothing.

But that was only his re-sale value that Posh lost out on.
    They had their money's worth in what he had brought to their team.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    It’s Joel but to be honest it’s the sort of business I expected us to be doing this summer. Young, hungry players with the potential to improve and either take us on to the next level or be sold on for a massive fee. Peterborough have got this down to a tee. And a four year deal too.
    They’re in the Championship because they’ve had that policy for a number of years. It’s worked and they’re carrying on with it. Sounds sensible to me. As Large said. That’s what a lot of us thought would be Charltons strategy.
    Peterborough are not a Sheffield Utd or Wednesday. Or a Charlton or an Ipswich or a Wigan. They are a relatively small town club that have found a way to improve their situation. speculate to accumulate. I think it arrogant to assume the teams I have mentioned above have any better chance of promotion from league one in eight years. 
    But they also don't lose 10 million a year just to stand still because they don't have the overheads that a Charlton, an Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday have. 
    That’s our problem not theirs. Their recruiting means they are progressing as a club. They spend quite big and sell quite big. Unless we find a way of getting out of league one we might well swap places with clubs like Peterborough permanently. 
    But very slowly. They were solid and sustainable, not successful. Like Cafc43v3r said, it took them 8 years, I can't see how that proves their strategy worked,  I don't want to be in League 1 for 8 years. 
    They've also had stable, sensible ownership for a lot longer than that where as we have had chaos and crooks.

Absolutely, totally agree. But do we really want to follow their lead and stay in the League for nearly a decade? They are a smaller club than us and have done ok, can't fault the way they have operated. However, if we bought a couple of players every summer for a total outlay of 1mil, then made a profit every summer of 3/4 mil on player sales without that money being reinvested, don't you think there would be uproar?
    I don't think we should follow their model any more than we should follow Brentford's.

We can learn from both but our issue hasn't been having good players to sell, we've had lots, it has been selling them too early, too cheap and then not re-investing that money in either the training ground (to get Cat 1 status as Roland said the Lookman money would be spent) or in other good players.

All true but Peterborough haven’t always “bought low” they have actually bought, for a league one club quite high and then sold on at a profit. 
    They have bought high and paid very good wages for attacking players for over a decade.  Then sold them for a profit.  You can go back to Aaron McLean and CMS, or probably even longer.

If we went out and bought 3 or 4 players of the quality Peterborough have historically done, this summer, we would be favourites for promotion.  Due to the fact we pay superior wages, so have better players (in theory) in the other positions and a significantly better academy.

However if we stayed in league 1 for 8 years we would need to generate north of 50 million quid in player sales before we could invest or progress in any way shape or form. If we finished 7th or 8th every season and sold our best 2 players and replaced them from nonleague or league 2 every season it wouldn't be long before there were pigs on the pitch.

Any talk of models and sustainability in league 1 is nonsense.  Unless the model is buy and sell better. Which isn't a ground breaking idea. 
    Dobson, Stockley, Clare and Famewo fit the 3 or 4 players of quality argument? 
    I don't think Stockley has got any great resale value?  The other 3 possibly do in terms of quality but Peterborough made an active decision to almost exclusively invest in attacking players, often well over paying for them and over paying them.  Often at the expense of having a good team. 
    If Stockley is banging in goals for fun, there's every chance a Championship club could think that was exactly what they needed in January?

Silly money could talk, perhaps?

Especially a team recently relegated from the Prem, still with parachute money in their pocket.
    Whether we'd want to sell or even Stockley want to go, is another matter of course.

• edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    How do you get a 30 year mortgage with a job that's not even guaranteed for 3 years and pays 1/10th of 200k per year ? 
  • I see today’s topic for the rumours thread is house prices and mortgages. 
    Obviously. What else is a rumour thread going to be about?
    Don't forget Peterborough's policy of buying players and selling them for big profit.
    The only flaw in that plan, is that it takes you 8 years to get promoted.

The stuff you learn on Charlton Life. :wink:

• We've gone full circle to the takeover thread, God bless. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

They have bought high and paid very good wages for attacking players for over a decade.  Then sold them for a profit.  You can go back to Aaron McLean and CMS, or probably even longer.

If we went out and bought 3 or 4 players of the quality Peterborough have historically done, this summer, we would be favourites for promotion.  Due to the fact we pay superior wages, so have better players (in theory) in the other positions and a significantly better academy.

However if we stayed in league 1 for 8 years we would need to generate north of 50 million quid in player sales before we could invest or progress in any way shape or form. If we finished 7th or 8th every season and sold our best 2 players and replaced them from nonleague or league 2 every season it wouldn't be long before there were pigs on the pitch.

Any talk of models and sustainability in league 1 is nonsense.  Unless the model is buy and sell better. Which isn't a ground breaking idea. 
    I don't think Stockley has got any great resale value?  The other 3 possibly do in terms of quality but Peterborough made an active decision to almost exclusively invest in attacking players, often well over paying for them and over paying them.  Often at the expense of having a good team. 
    If Stockley is banging in goals for fun, there's every chance a Championship club could think that was exactly what they needed in January?

Especially a team recently relegated from the Prem, still with parachute money in their pocket.
    Whether we'd want to sell or even Stockley want to go, is another matter of course.
    He's played a lot of Championship games and his record is not that good. 

2018-19 - 17 Apps, 4 Goals
    2019-20 - 42 Apps, 4 Goals
    2020-21 - 16 Apps, 1 Goal

I think he'd have to do an awful lot to convince anyone he's worth another punt at that level.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    There are specialist mortgage lenders for footballers via the PFA 
    Thought I was mistakingly reading the Standard for a minute.
  • Personal opinion … I don’t think we’ll see any movement on the transfer front until the last week of August #JustSaying 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Absolutely this. To give yourself half a chance of getting out of this league you have to spend money on players that overall are better than the competition and have a manager that knows how to get promoted. At this point I don’t believe we have a squad any better than at least eight other clubs. I’m very hopeful we’ll be right up there but we’re in the pack not ahead of it. 
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Exactly, why would you choose to live in Chislehurst when you can live in Dartford, the Kensington of the SE suburb.  
  • _MrDick said:
    Personal opinion … I don’t think we’ll see any movement on the transfer front until the last week of August #JustSaying 
    Other clubs have been bringing in players this week. Rotherham have brought in 3 players in 2 days
  • Cowley said last night that he’s still hoping for 5/6 more players. Last couple of weeks of window should be crazy although an opening day loss may also trigger some clubs to move into the market more. 
  • _MrDick said:
    Personal opinion … I don’t think we’ll see any movement on the transfer front until the last week of August #JustSaying 
    Other clubs have been bringing in players this week. Rotherham have brought in 3 players in 2 days
    Don't think TS's offer of a free DVD and as much rodkal and aebleskriver as you can handle is pulling them in...
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

I think he'd have to do an awful lot to convince anyone he's worth another punt at that level.
    To be fair Lyle Taylor's record wasn't great until he joined AFC Wimbledon and it improved even more with us.

Taylor was 27 years old when he joined us, there's absolutely no reason why Stockley can't replicate Taylor's goalscoring record at this level with the right service.
  • Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

To be fair Lyle Taylor's record wasn't great until he joined AFC Wimbledon and it improved even more with us.

Taylor was 27 years old when he joined us, there's absolutely no reason why Stockley can't replicate Taylor's goalscoring record at this level with the right service.
    Give over. Stockley is not even half the player Taylor is/was. Taylor was much better on the floor than Stockley & only marginally worse in the air. 
    You've completely managed to miss my point which wasn't about who is the better of the two but that Stockley joined us at the same age Taylor did and if Stockley scores 20+ goals this season which isn't impossible there's no reason why he can't attract £4m bids from Championship teams either.
  • Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Apart from his far lesser mobility and technique? 
  • Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Again. Not comparing the two players. I'm talking about goalscoring records.

Anyone who scores 20+ goals in this league will attract Championship bids and Stockley would clearly go for far more than what we paid.
  • Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

As well as his far superior aerial threat/defensive attributes?
  • Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Rothko said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Give over. Stockley is not even half the player Taylor is/was. Taylor was much better on the floor than Stockley & only marginally worse in the air. 
    What, 4 goals in 39 apps and 3rd choice for a struggling side Taylor?  
    Said it before and I'll say it again - certain players simply fit certain systems/managers/supply. Change Sunderland's wingers last season and Wyke doesn't get 30 goals. Give Aneke the same time at Charlton statistically there's a good chance he doesn't get you 15 goals. Put Taylor against a better defence and he doesn't get you the same goals either. Charlton method and level suited Taylor well but he very clearly hasn't adapted to Championship life. Stockley didn't either, but that's the point - Taylor is no striking mastermind - great League One player but so is Stockley.
  • We must be negotiating or holding out for some amazing players (hope one is near the line and announced tomorrow) 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!