Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Scoham said:
    I see Joe Randall has signed for the Posh this evening. 
    It’s Joel but to be honest it’s the sort of business I expected us to be doing this summer. Young, hungry players with the potential to improve and either take us on to the next level or be sold on for a massive fee. Peterborough have got this down to a tee. And a four year deal too.
    Being in the Championship helps. A lot.
    I thought we were told that it didnt matter if we didnt get promoted last season. I'm sure many posters were saying that. All said that it wasn't a problem when Bows was playing players out of position & we were losing game after game because he had a free hit & we could always get promoted this season instead. Yep.....sure we were told that.
    That was nothing more than people trying to put a positive spin on not going up last season. You’ve always got to go for promotion when there’s a chance and the team did that with only one defeat under NA.

With 46 games left and nearly a month of the transfer window remaining we can still get promoted this season.

Or maybe that’s just more positive spin...
  • Will Randall be signed in time for Saturday?
  • JamesSeed said:
    Will Randall be signed in time for Saturday?

Is the deadline midday Friday?
    Comfortably signed before then.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Is Will Randall another new player?
    Do keep up Daz was mentioned pages ago, plays for Plymouth. 
  • TelMc32 said:
    RedChaser said:
    You’re probably too young to remember this one @TelMc32 but variation on a theme;

Don’t know that at all @RedChaser but this thread’s definitely gonna need more than one song to get through all the dross!!  😉
    https://youtu.be/ISy0Hl0SBfg
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Scoham said:
    It’s Joel but to be honest it’s the sort of business I expected us to be doing this summer. Young, hungry players with the potential to improve and either take us on to the next level or be sold on for a massive fee. Peterborough have got this down to a tee. And a four year deal too.
    I thought we were told that it didnt matter if we didnt get promoted last season. I'm sure many posters were saying that. All said that it wasn't a problem when Bows was playing players out of position & we were losing game after game because he had a free hit & we could always get promoted this season instead. Yep.....sure we were told that.
    That was nothing more than people trying to put a positive spin on not going up last season. You’ve always got to go for promotion when there’s a chance and the team did that with only one defeat under NA.

With 46 games left and nearly a month of the transfer window remaining we can still get promoted this season.

Or maybe that’s just more positive spin...
    I agree.

Not going up was a bad thing and I never thought anything else despite, as @Scoham says, some people trying to find a silver lining to the very big cloud.

Let's not pretend that everyone said it was OK not to go up or even that it was a good thing.

It was that and blind loyalty to Bowyer.  
  • The good news is Margaret the Tea Lady won't be fit to play against Sheffield Wednesday at LB in the League but should be fit to play in the Cup.
  • The up side of not going up is that we have a much bigger chance of having a successful and enjoyable promotion season this year than if we were in the championship as it would mainly be about survival. Of course it would have been better going up but promotion seasons don't come round that often and id sooner not have one watching from the settee when they do. 
  • Let’s all have a guess what page number we will be on by the time we announce the next signing.

Page 674
  • Whenever we get promoted the following season will be about "survival". Whether that had been this season or next, we'll have a massive task of staying up, in fact if we go up this year, then, isn't our entire defence out of contract? 

We won't be signing a shed load of quality players on 3/4 year contracts on the last day of the window, the market just isn't working like that this window. 

Given the much reported constraints around transfers, January window will be interesting, will clubs players take an even harder stance to make up for a poor summer or will it be new year sales... 
  • 706 - Madger gomes in 
  • 706 - Madger gomes in 
    If its on page 706 he won't play Saturday..... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Joe Powell, Burton midfielder linked apparently.
    Guessing that would mark the end for Madger Gomes. Or are they different sorts of players? Can’t say I know too much about Joe Powell.
    But we've trialled Gomes so we should give him a 1 year contract :smile:
    It shouldn't be necessary to try to break this down for you but I'll give it a go. You give a player a trial because you want to see how they might fit in with your plans and they are between clubs. You don't do it for a laugh and to mess the player about. You already know what sort of player he is but you are taking the opportunity to have a closer look how he might fit in in terms of what you need.

Said player doesn't impress or display anything you don't already have. The trial is a failure. Said player does really well as some have observed, but more importantly the manager has commented on. Absolutely you sit down with him and talk terms/a contract. Ultimately the driver is the budget or something better presents itself, but we will be looking at the possibility of signing him as why have him on trial in the first place.  
    Gomes is getting

A "free" pre-season programme at a decent L1 club
    A chance to put himself in the shop window - if we don't sign him, other clubs will have been watching our pre-season matches
  • edited August 2021
    I’ve mentioned this briefly before but one of the problems is the cost of housing/living in the SE.
    Attracting young unmarried players is not quite so much of a problem, however it does become quite a thing for older married players with families.
    To uproot from elsewhere and move down to the London area is a considerable increase in outgoings.
    Let’s say a three year deal is on offer. What do they do….buy or rent……take into consideration that they probably already own a property elsewhere as well.
    We then are at a distinct disadvantage because the salaries will be very similar wherever they are in the country, but ‘not’ the cost of living.
    Something to think about and certainly a factor to be taken into account.
    Anyone know how much a 3 bed semi is in Plymouth?  Or Bradford?

Its a massive issue and probably outways the "living in London" bonus. 
  • Should look in getting the young winger/striker from city on loan Edozie. Played lw pre season. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    They’re in the Championship because they’ve had that policy for a number of years. It’s worked and they’re carrying on with it. Sounds sensible to me. As Large said. That’s what a lot of us thought would be Charltons strategy.
    That strategy also took Peterborough 8 years to get out of league 1.
    Peterborough are not a Sheffield Utd or Wednesday. Or a Charlton or an Ipswich or a Wigan. They are a relatively small town club that have found a way to improve their situation. speculate to accumulate. I think it arrogant to assume the teams I have mentioned above have any better chance of promotion from league one in eight years. 
  • edited August 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    They’re in the Championship because they’ve had that policy for a number of years. It’s worked and they’re carrying on with it. Sounds sensible to me. As Large said. That’s what a lot of us thought would be Charltons strategy.
    Peterborough are not a Sheffield Utd or Wednesday. Or a Charlton or an Ipswich or a Wigan. They are a relatively small town club that have found a way to improve their situation. speculate to accumulate. I think it arrogant to assume the teams I have mentioned above have any better chance of promotion from league one in eight years. 
    But they also don't lose 10 million a year just to stand still because they don't have the overheads that a Charlton, an Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday have. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Recent history shows the biggest clubs in League 1 usually get promoted eventually, no surprise as they tend to have the bigger budgets. No guarantee of course and it can take years, as it did with Sheff Utd. There are a few exceptions like Bolton, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see them challenge in the next few seasons.
  • AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I’ve mentioned this briefly before but one of the problems is the cost of housing/living in the SE.
    Attracting young unmarried players is not quite so much of a problem, however it does become quite a thing for older married players with families.
    To uproot from elsewhere and move down to the London area is a considerable increase in outgoings.
    Let’s say a three year deal is on offer. What do they do….buy or rent……take into consideration that they probably already own a property elsewhere as well.
    We then are at a distinct disadvantage because the salaries will be very similar wherever they are in the country, but ‘not’ the cost of living.
    Something to think about and certainly a factor to be taken into account.
    Anyone know how much a 3 bed semi is in Plymouth?  Or Bradford?

Its a massive issue and probably outways the "living in London" bonus. 
    A 3 bed semi in a nice area where I live ( On the Chester/North Wales border ) will cost you approx £180-£210,000. Wages for normal jobs I dont think are much difference, I have a plumbing & heating company and I have to pay my plumbers £35k a year to get them. £750k will get you a 6 bed house in 26 acres with a swimming pool and everything else you could want.

That puts the property market into perspective ! it is bloody mental
    Watched something on Pimlico plumbers on tv the other day - young lady not long finished her apprenticeship was earning £100k a year working for them 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!