Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Sage said:
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    If Dobson and Mullin are typical of the level of player that we are signing, we ain't gonna "blow this league out of the water."

Sorry, Thomas.

*Mods ... please file under 'Humble Pie' ... which I will be delighted to eat next May.*
    Dobson a very good player and 6”1 is another tall person in the spine of the team . Mullin always a risk had two good seasons in his career .. good age ..5”9 very powerful you hope he the answer no one knows …. Plus he a free so nothing to lose 
    2 good seasons?  When was the other one? 
    When he was at Morecombe scored 22 goals 
    You mean the 3 seasons he was at Morecombe and scored 25 in 122 games with a season best of 9?

Or was it just one really long season? 
    Maybe this is Mullin's strength?

He'll carry on for another 90 or 180 minutes ... long after everyone else has gone home.

That's the way to rack up the goals.
    Reminds me of that season Kevin Lisbie scored 16 goals for us.  It was the 1996-2007 season. 
    At this level Lisbie was an excellent striker for Colchester and Orient.

We often forget that apart from a handful of games he played for us in the Premier League. 
    19 goals for Charlton in about 10 years. 
    That's all I have to say
    But he’ll always have that incredible hat-trick.
    Yes he will 
    One good game in ten years and that's what some people remember him for 
  • Matt tees Eddie firmani Derek Hales to name
     But a few all scored well over 10 goals a season.
  • se9addick said:
    Rothko said:
    Dobson is a signing with a lot of potential upside, Mullin to me is the bigger risk, one hot season doesn’t make a striker you build a promotion around
    Why would be building a promotion around Mullin? He just had a good season in the league below, is available for free and I doubt his wage demands will be insane. We need a squad and not just an XI and he sounds like a player worth taking a chance on, although he’ll start fourth in the pecking order behind Stockley, Washington and Schwartz. 
    And that's the problem, if he is start behind someone who is unselectable......... 
  • Scoham said:
    Dont really remember him from the games against AFC Wimbledon - But then again I didnt remember Dale Stephens against us for Oldham when they finished 17th and expected him to be a fringe player
    Because you thought Mikel Alonso would control our midfield?

Would like to hear Powell’s side of the story on that signing.
    Jimenez signing.
  • How many signings released tomorrow do we think ? I'm going for 2
  • edited June 2021
    AndyG said:
    How many signings released tomorrow do we think ? I'm going for 2
    Ooh, I like this game.

I reckon we will sign 20 - 7 + 43 - 59 + 6 -1. Then divide by 2.
  • AndyG said:
    How many signings released tomorrow do we think ? I'm going for 2
    Have we got them locked up? :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we'll make two signings this week, pure guesswork. I think Dobson is all but done and I think we'll get a winger in soon. 
  • Scoham said:
    Dont really remember him from the games against AFC Wimbledon - But then again I didnt remember Dale Stephens against us for Oldham when they finished 17th and expected him to be a fringe player

Jimenez signing.
    I thought I had read that before, but why didn't he get more game time?

Did Jimenez accept Alonso not playing because we were getting results?
  • Seen a lot of comments about snapping up the best of league 1 and 2, which is what Mullin would be, so, why now do we not want a youngish forward who's hit a top scorer season the the division below.... On a free...

I doubt he'd come in to be the main strike partner for Stockley, see that as a pacey wide forward, Mullin in as the 3rd/4th - depending on formation and Washington being out wide - and it's a worthwhile punt.
  • edited June 2021
    Seen a lot of comments about snapping up the best of league 1 and 2, which is what Mullin would be, so, why now do we not want a youngish forward who's hit a top scorer season the the division below.... On a free...

I doubt he'd come in to be the main strike partner for Stockley, see that as a pacey wide forward, Mullin in as the 3rd/4th - depending on formation and Washington being out wide - and it's a worthwhile punt.
    Because CHARLTON FOOTBALL FANS.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    If Dobson and Mullin are typical of the level of player that we are signing, we ain't gonna "blow this league out of the water."

Sorry, Thomas.

*Mods ... please file under 'Humble Pie' ... which I will be delighted to eat next May.*
    Dobson a very good player and 6”1 is another tall person in the spine of the team . Mullin always a risk had two good seasons in his career .. good age ..5”9 very powerful you hope he the answer no one knows …. Plus he a free so nothing to lose 
    You mean the 3 seasons he was at Morecombe and scored 25 in 122 games with a season best of 9?

He'll carry on for another 90 or 180 minutes ... long after everyone else has gone home.

Reminds me of that season Kevin Lisbie scored 16 goals for us.  It was the 1996-2007 season. 
    Karl Leaburn had a season like that too.
  • Seen a lot of comments about snapping up the best of league 1 and 2, which is what Mullin would be, so, why now do we not want a youngish forward who's hit a top scorer season the the division below.... On a free...

The real answer is Schwartz.  Mullin is a massive gamble at this level, in the sense he has never scored goals at this level, nor before this season.

He isn't an alternative to Stockley.  If you went into the season with Stockley, Washington, Mullin and Schwartz I would be worried. Seriously worried.

If you went in with Stockley, Washington, Aneke and Mullin it would be OK. In fact it would be good.  

If Mullin was a replacement for Schwartz it would be OK, if Mullin is the replacement for Chuks it would be awful. 
  • Some have gone from yellow to amber... Not sure why Camara is amber on reflection.

• se9addick said:
    Rothko said:
    Dobson is a signing with a lot of potential upside, Mullin to me is the bigger risk, one hot season doesn’t make a striker you build a promotion around
    Why would be building a promotion around Mullin? He just had a good season in the league below, is available for free and I doubt his wage demands will be insane. We need a squad and not just an XI and he sounds like a player worth taking a chance on, although he’ll start fourth in the pecking order behind Stockley, Washington and Schwartz. 
    Unless he’s here for the money; I can’t see him coming in from being top boy to 4th choice.

I just get a bit edgy about buying a player on one good season out 7, it’s like buying that player who’s the break out at a big tournament, the downside outweigh the ups
  • Rothko said:
    se9addick said:
    Rothko said:
    Unless he’s here for the money; I can’t see him coming in from being top boy to 4th choice.

I just get a bit edgy about buying a player on one good season out 7, it’s like buying that player who’s the break out at a big tournament, the downside outweigh the ups
    That’s the problem I agree, was last season a purple patch that he won’t repeat or could it be the start of an upturn in his career. It’s a gamble but if we can do it within budget then there is nothing to lose but possibly everything to gain. 
  • Sponsored links:

I'll trust Adkins and Gallen if they bring Mullin in, but I'm not convinced he's what we need for a few reasons:

- He's had one good season in his career
    - He appears to be a poacher, a type of striker we already have in Schwartz
    - We need to be bringing in players who expect to play, not more squad players to add depth or punts that might do well
    - Budget can be better spent on different types of strikers. We need alternative to Stockley, currently he's the only striker we have who can lead the line. We need more than one striker who can compete in the air and hold up the ball. We could also do with a striker with genuine pace.
  • edited June 2021
    Can’t see Mullin coming to us, Wigan are interested as well and he’s from that way, so will likely go there. Reckon Cawley is right it’s just agent talk!!
  • edited June 2021
    Was told last night by a friend of JFC that he had substantial Championship interest before injury. 

Also told that the contract offer is 12 months but there is haggling over an option for a further 12 months.

Club not keen to be used to get fit for 12 months and for him to leave, JFC not sure 2 years at same wage is a good deal so looking for the 2nd year option to have an increase in salary if key conditions met.

Seen as a bit of a gamble by both parties but expectation is it will be sorted.
    Has to be Birmingham surely.
    In reference to JFC having Championship interest.

Stick me on that spreadsheet @Dazzler21
  • RedRobin said:
    Can’t see Mullin coming to us, Wigan are interested as well and he’s from that way. 
    I wish I had a pound for every time I’ve read this type of comment this last few weeks. Wigan cant have everyone, even if the players do all come from that way!!🤣
  • Scoham said:
    Scoham said:

Jimenez signing.
    I thought I had read that before, but why didn't he get more game time?

Did Jimenez accept Alonso not playing because we were getting results?
    Jimenez was a piece of work but he didn’t pick the team. 
  • Dobson going to cost us £250,000 as he enters last year if his contract 
  • Addickted said:
    shirty5 said:
    shirty5 said:
    Addicks59 said:
    Anybody else heard this Ronnie  has gone.
    Yes he got thrown out of the Clarendon Hotel after a non payment for the room he was staying in. 
    Serious or joke?
    Source?
    @RonnieMoore
    I think it’s @DaveMehmet who still has his certificate showing he contributed to buying Ronnie Moore !!
    I cant remember receiving a certificate, for contributing to buy Ronnie Moore, but a friend said I should be certified.

If memory serves me right, you had to donate a whole pound to get a certificate 😊
    I threw my £1 into a blanket. Never hot a certificate.  
    I could be wrong but I think there was a minimum donation for the certificate but you could donate anything. Not sure if the minimum was a tenner or a fiver. Does anybody else remember or did I dream it!
    It was along time ago now but I am sure I paid £20.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Richard J said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dave Rudd said:

Sorry, Thomas.

At this level Lisbie was an excellent striker for Colchester and Orient.

We often forget that apart from a handful of games he played for us in the Premier League. 
    19 goals for Charlton in about 10 years. 
    That's all I have to say
    But he’ll always have that incredible hat-trick.
    Glad you've popped up @Sage in your expert opinion how long after an ACL injury would you have a good idea it's going to be OK?

I know injury to 1st team football is normally 8-12 months.  But when would have a good idea that its going to be OK?  2, 3, 4 months?  Longer?  Straight after the op? 
    The medical team and doctors would have a good idea right now how likely he’s going to be okay. In an injury like this, you have to be careful though because a set back could be just around the corner.

However, he will have milestones to hit and actually, as he has already had this injury before, the things that went well before he will do, as in turn he knows what didn’t work for him as well.

If he is not getting pain when doing exercises now to build up the strength of the muscles and tissues as well as the ACL itself, that’s a very good sign. Hopefully this answers your question enough.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!