Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Career wise Ben Amos has only really had patchy success. Certainly both spells with Charlton have been good but elsewhere he has often been number two. Actively disliked by the fans at Millwall. If he decides to sign with us I have no doubt that he’ll start as number one and it will be his shirt to lose. Go elsewhere and he could find himself back bench warming. At his stage of his career does he want to be the big cheese or will he be happy to risk being number two again. Championship move could be his big payday and I wouldn’t blame him in taking that. If he moves to Ipswich then it will be because they are prepared to pay a little more than us. I think he’ll sign his contract and stay.
    You would think he had already earnt enough whilst not playing. Wasn't he on a fair whack at Bolton?
  • Options
    As others have have sad , you can't really remember him pulling off any worldy saves.

Safe pair of hands but nothing special, most vocal we've ever had either.
  • Options
    CH4RLTON said:
    As others have have sad , you can't really remember him pulling off any worldy saves.

I'm not a huge fan of Amos but that is harsh.  Some very good one on one stops.
    Cafc43v3r said:
    CH4RLTON said:

Shewsbury away in the play off semi was arguably one of the best save I have ever seen.

I think he won us more points last season than he cost us.  The 2 seasons he has been our number one we have finished 6th and 7th and he wasn't the reason we didn't finish higher in either.

I suspect, where ever Ben does sign, he will want a minimum of 2 years with the guarantee that he will start this season as number 1.  Its probably his last contract as a number 1 with a biggish league 1 club. 

I would like him to stay, it's one less new player to find then bed in.  I don't think there has ever been any issue with his attitude?  I don't think we would, in league 1, be able to attract anyone significantly better.  At the same time if he did leave its not the end of the world because there will be dozens of keepers available that aren't significantly worse either. 

This and this.
  • Options
    Amos form improved under Adkins, looking more reassured but having another first choice level keeper will push him.

Personally think he will go and good luck to him if he does...all keepers make howlers but he has made some outstanding saves aswell.
  • Options
    I don’t think Amos has been too bad, but neither would I be thinking why did NA let him go if he did move on. If we have a reasonable enough budget for our level, I think we will be able to do better in that department and probably should be doing.

The long shot goals from opposition were frustrating to see, but not as frustrating as seeing Amos goal kicking to defenders in our area from restarts. I put any of those f**k ups last season wholly down to him for not telling those in front of him to p*ss off upfield before kicking it long.
  • Options
    Amos form improved under Adkins, looking more reassured but having another first choice level keeper will push him.

Personally think he will go and good luck to him if he does...all keepers make howlers but he has made some outstanding saves aswell.
    Think he knows he not number one next season and perhaps that’s what making him seek a move 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I feel a bit sorry for all this almost anti Amos stuff, he has earned us points as well as cost us a few, but any keeper will have their ups and downs, that's the nature of the beast i'm afraid, should he go, and I hope he doesn't, he will be sorely missed, and who is in the frame really as a replacement, very quite regarding the Pompey guy.
    Still a couple of weeks till players return, so lets hope for some good news regarding in's and retentions, god knows we could do with some.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CH4RLTON said:

Bradford away in his first season and Shrewsbury away in the second leg spring to mind when it comes to worldie saves. 

He was unreal against Sunderland away last season also, good keeper for this level.
  • Options

Think he knows he not number one next season and perhaps that’s what making him seek a move 
    You think he knows he isn't going to be number 1 next season?  If he knows that he won't be signing.  At 31 he isn't going to sign to sit on the bench in league 1.  Maybe in the championship, for more wedge.

Who he think is number one next season? 
  • Options

Is he seeking a move or as he’s out of contract is he just doing the logical thing that most of us would do and that’s see if there’s anything better out there. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Think there will be a good few bits of activity this coming week. With pre-season starting very soon, things are going to get sorted and players will have decisions to make. Expecting a relatively busy week and will be disappointed if it doesn’t turn out to be.
    Not much happens till teams return … 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Think there will be a good few bits of activity this coming week. With pre-season starting very soon, things are going to get sorted and players will have decisions to make. Expecting a relatively busy week and will be disappointed if it doesn’t turn out to be.
    Think this makes sense. A lot of players will want things sorted out before pre season gets going. Not having a proper pre season is usually a disaster for a player. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I think it's worth pointing out Adkins previous comments as referenced in Cawley's story linking Amos to Ipswich.

If Amos signs for us he will be our number 1.  No ifs, no buts.  With that in mind I think it's safe to say we have offered him "proper league 1 money" and probably a multi year deal.

I think the suggestion that we have offered him a contract to sit on the bench is fantasy. 
    Believe we have offered him a 2 year deal or 1 year with the option of another, either way it’s pretty much a 2 year deal. All with the thinking that they hope Maynard-Brewer is our number one in a couple of seasons. It’s why he needs a loan this season and I am sure he will do well out on loan too.
    In an ideal world AMB would spend the next 2 seasons out on loan, the second of which would have to be league 1. 

IMO it takes a keeper about 100 games for them to actually get anywhere near there potential level.   We have seen that with both Phillips and Pope.  The quicker and less risk adverse that is the better. 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Not fussed on Amos, wouldn’t be upset if he left but equally I wouldn’t be unhappy if we kept him, it’s a bit of a weird one. 
    That’s how I feel. I quite like him and wouldn’t be too fussed if he was out GK next season, but I also wouldn’t lose any sleep if he left. I’ve  always been impressed with the Portsmouth keeper and would chose him over Amos. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I think the below is an interesting comment from NA - it looks as though he might be managing expectations a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if we've been priced out of some of our targets if the reports of Wigan offering £10k a week to Sonny Bradley are true.

"We’re looking to progress. We know it is going to be challenging because a lot of other clubs are looking to do the same, and a lot of clubs are potentially paying more money than us."
  • Options
    Amos made plenty of quality saves this season. The goal just took a bashing because of our defence. 

He made a few mistakes yeah, but that’s league 1 for you.
  • Options
    One definite announcement next week with a second looking very likely.
    Incomings or contract renewals?
  • Options
    If Amos and Marshall don’t want to be part of the revolution, it’s their loss 
  • Options
    Out of contract players have 10 days to get a new contract somewhere, or have no money, so expect some to sign or move on by the end of next week. I am not ITK
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Out of contract players have 10 days to get a new contract somewhere, or have no money, so expect some to sign or move on by the end of next week. I am not ITK

Out of contract players also usually get paid in July (for some reason...).
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!