Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    For a player of his potential £500k is absolutely nothing. If we want to operate in the same way Brentford do, you have to be prepared to take these gambles. 
    Two things about that… Brentford plays moneyball. CAFC fans seem to hate that concept. Second, Brentford eliminated its academy and spent all that money on transfers and wages. Is this what we want? Cuz that’s what we would need to do to replicate them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts
    The concept of using data to recruit players?

We’re not replicating them, the new ownership admires their recruitment process - that’s all. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    For a player of his potential £500k is absolutely nothing. If we want to operate in the same way Brentford do, you have to be prepared to take these gambles. 
    Who said we do?

East to spend other people's money and if a championship club come in you would expect us not to get him anyway? 
    Sandgaard’s son has said that to me multiple times. Sandgaard is a massive admirer of how Brentford go about their business, particularly their use of data analytics. It will be a little different, but using data to purchase young talent (and sell for profit) is a big part of the recruitment model. 

If a Championship club come in then there’s nothing we can do, but £500k (in reality it will be less with included bonuses) is a reasonable amount of money for someone with Sandgaard’s ambition. 
    It's a perfectly credible long, or medium, term ambition and I would be shocked if we weren't looking at increasing the use of analytical data.  But the reality, here and now, is there is a squad cap (although I expect that will be abolished) and we need to get promoted, this season.

We will probally sign about 4 more before the season starts, plus replacements for any that don't resign.  They need to be 100% first choice players who you are 99% sure will deliver.  In the same vein as Stockley.

We can't afford 3 or 4 gambles, at least I don't think we can, do you?

Being in the championship does allow you a little more wiggle room for "gambles". 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Who said we do?

East to spend other people's money and if a championship club come in you would expect us not to get him anyway? 
    Sandgaard’s son has said that to me multiple times. Sandgaard is a massive admirer of how Brentford go about their business, particularly their use of data analytics. It will be a little different, but using data to purchase young talent (and sell for profit) is a big part of the recruitment model. 

If a Championship club come in then there’s nothing we can do, but £500k (in reality it will be less with included bonuses) is a reasonable amount of money for someone with Sandgaard’s ambition. 
    It's a perfectly credible long, or medium, term ambition and I would be shocked if we weren't looking at increasing the use of analytical data.  But the reality, here and now, is there is a squad cap (although I expect that will be abolished) and we need to get promoted, this season.

We will probally sign about 4 more before the season starts, plus replacements for any that don't resign.  They need to be 100% first choice players who you are 99% sure will deliver.  In the same vein as Stockley.

Being in the championship does allow you a little more wiggle room for "gambles". 
    Every transfer ever made is a gamble, there’s zero guarantees in football. 

I’m not talking about punting on 3 or 4 gambles, I’m talking one specific player who is available for a reasonable amount of money. 
  • Options
    Sandgaard has already said publicly we're not going to replicate exactly what Brentford did.

He's said we're not scrapping our very successful academy for a start.

Does he think there are things they do well and we can learn from? Yes, he does but buying low and selling high isn't anything new.

And it's not moneyball, a different concept from a totally different sport.
  • Options
    Two things about that… Brentford plays moneyball. CAFC fans seem to hate that concept. Second, Brentford eliminated its academy and spent all that money on transfers and wages. Is this what we want? Cuz that’s what we would need to do to replicate them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts
    The concept of using data to recruit players?
    That’s what most football fans think Moneyball is. But it isn’t. Using data is done by every good club in football. Moneyball boils down to buying the best bang for the buck. Period. It is making every dollar count and jettisoning all myths, not buying players based on data. In almost all cases it means buying younger players (age 19-23) with upside that are less expensive because historically this has been proven to be the best way to spend money in football. RB Leipzig is another club that has embraced the true (as opposed to the  laymen’s idea) of the Moneyball concept. But getting clubs to actually do this is like pulling teeth because their fans really have no idea what it is. They watched the movie and think they understand how it works. I admire Brentford because they adopted the true essence of Moneyball and made it work. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Who said we do?

We're going nowhere if we only sign 4 more. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Who said we do?

We're going nowhere if we only sign 4 more. 
    I realised I put 4 a minute ago, I don't know what brain fart I had but I meant 8.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Who said we do?

Every transfer ever made is a gamble, there’s zero guarantees in football. 

I’m not talking about punting on 3 or 4 gambles, I’m talking one specific player who is available for a reasonable amount of money. 
    But it was one player in Twine, or Randdel, or Williams as well.

Of course there is no guarantee otherwise why bother playing.  But someone like Stockley is as good as a guarantee you can get.

Like I have been saying all summer, and before, let's get out of league 1 then can we not only adopt models, we can also attract better, and keep our own, youngsters.

The only player, that we have signed, remotely fitting the model you suggest we are using is DJ amd he had six months league 1 experience. 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Mendes Gomes for £0.5m is daylight robbery… we’d better be in for him.

2 years time we’d be selling him for x10+ 
    Not so sure about him. Looks very lightweight. 
    Fair enough but I’d wager a good amount your wrong. He’ll easily play Championship and probably higher.

Very, very good technically and great physical attributes (good pace & size). Scoring a pen at Wembley shows he’s got some mental strength too.

Too get him for only 100k more than DJ would be superb value 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Maccn05 said:
    Mendes Gomes for £0.5m is daylight robbery… we’d better be in for him.

2 years time we’d be selling him for x10+ 
    Not so sure about him. Looks very lightweight. 
    Fair enough but I’d wager a good amount your wrong. He’ll easily play Championship and probably higher.

Very, very good technically and great physical attributes (good pace & size). Scoring a pen at Wembley shows he’s got some mental strength too.

Too get him for only 100k more than DJ would be superb value 
    If we haven't at least sounded out the prospect I'd be very surprised. I'd be equally surprised if we were successful though given the competition includes Championship teams.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Nixon spouting Luke McCormick is available on a free plus sell on from Chelsea, Wimbledon front runners according to him, we must be looking at him too? Was Bristol Rovers best player last season. 
  • Options
    Despite all the comments to the contrary pierce has NOT signed a new contract yet.
  • Options
    Ipswich have upped there interest in Siegrist Dundee Swiss goalkeeper. 
  • Options
    Khaled Narey available (just released by Hamburg, who are having a re-build). Decent Bundesliga 2 right-winger/right wing-back. Works hard, pretty quick, not flashy, very decent shot. 

Wonder if we even look at foreign players now? 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Khaled Narey available (just released by Hamburg, who are having a re-build). Decent Bundesliga 2 right-winger/right wing-back. Works hard, pretty quick, not flashy, very decent shot. 

Can't get work permits now due to b*e*
  • Options
    Addicks59 said:
    Siegrist Dundee is a hell of a name.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Nonsense, if we are happy to sponsor their visa they'd almost certainly get a work permit. Especially the wages a Charlton player would earn. Brexit isn't a closed door...
  • Options
    Addicks59 said:
    Siegrist Dundee is a hell of a name.
    Brother of crocodile.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Vfrf said:
    Vfrf said:
    Simonsen said:

Nonsense, if we are happy to sponsor their visa they'd almost certainly get a work permit. Especially the wages a Charlton player would earn. Brexit isn't a closed door...
    Not nonsense at all.

Not making a political point, it's just a fact.

EU players had no need for visa prior to Brexit, now they do.

Only international players from top countries would have a chance to get visas and it would be hard to justify that players of similar ability weren't available from the UK for a league one club.

It's no different to the situation for non-EU players before 2016

"However, many current Championship players would not meet the new criteria and, whilst the majority of League One and League Two and Women’s Championship players are UK or Irish nationals, prospective recruits from abroad will be unlikely to obtain an endorsement."

https://www.walkermorris.co.uk/publications/brexit-new-immigration-rules-for-football-players-are-you-ready-for-the-january-transfer-window/?utm_source=Mondaq&utm_medium=syndication&utm_campaign=LinkedIn-integration

The majority of your article was focused on the January 21 window as temporary measures due to the changes before adopting a more wholistic approach. As the article states clubs apply for a sponsorship licence which will be a T2 six-year sponsorship or a T5 temporary 12 month sponsorship (loans). Any club within the top four divisions of English football can apply for a license.

It may be more difficult to sign an unknown 2nd divison Danish medfielder maybe, but for a Ronnie Schwartz with plenty of minutes under his belt in a top European league - are likely to get sponsored.

I'm sorry but it's naive to assume that there won't be a flow of international players outside of Premier League/Top 6 Championship. With a club as reputable as Charlton, sponsorship won't be the challenge especially as I said above, with the wages we'll be offering which will easily hit the threshold for employment sponsorship.

It’s got feck all to do with Charlton’s reputation. As HI says in his post it will be very difficult to prove a player requiring a visa in league one is any better than anyone British. We won’t be signing seasoned internationals. 

Congratulations on your governmentpost of approving sponsorship licenses. Speaking as somebody who has sponsered a foreign national for a visa through a limited company, I know a little about the process and yes, company reputation does count. I also know that the size of the UKs football industry will command exceptions, as long as we're not signing complete nobodys, visa's will be granted. Not that Charlton tend to go for foreign nationals that is.
  • Options
    Sandgaard has already said publicly we're not going to replicate exactly what Brentford did.

He's said we're not scrapping our very successful academy for a start.

Does he think there are things they do well and we can learn from? Yes, he does but buying low and selling high isn't anything new.

And it's not moneyball, a different concept from a totally different sport.
    Brentford is very much run like moneyball. Their transfers all mainly come from a stats team in London a bit like Brighton...apparently it’s scary how far behind teams are with this process and stick to the old ways of scouting rather than looking at stats. Seems to be working/worked very well for both clubs. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Thanks Colin
    Yep.
    It's definitely him
    Careful. When I said that earlier in the week I got censored but you are right , it’s definitely him .
    I keep deleting them Beds because I don’t understand why you, Henry and others want to ‘out’ someone, particularly when they are posting nothing wrong or controversial. We as moderators know who a poster is and are happy for him to post, so that should be that. 

The Thanks Colin stuff was 7, 8 years ago and whilst amusing at the time, should now be left there please. 

Now let’s get back to the purpose of the thread. 
    There’s are purpose to this thread?!?! Good luck finding it 😉
    Yes, it's to find out.....

1) who killed JFK
    2) what's the best type of fish
    3) whether Amos is any good.
  • Options
    Jack tucker anybody.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!