Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Addicks59 said:
    Despite all the comments to the contrary pierce has NOT signed a new contract yet.
    He has... thats from him first hand. Had a 2 year deal offer from a league 2 side but decided to stay.
  • Options
    Addicks59 said:
    Jack tucker anybody.
    Yes please Young local and a very good talent, just the sort of player we should be going for 
  • Options
    Quite clearly stated on several outlets including one this morning on news now he has not signed a contract as yet.
  • Options

Tucker would be an excellent move but another like Mendes Gomes where I would expect us to be blown out the water by a Championship club. 
  • Options
    Addicks59 said:
    Jack tucker anybody.
    Yes perfect signing , one of the best centre seen this year to be fair did we not try and get him in Jan along with Gillingham winger ??
  • Options

"Portsmouth place opening bid of £200,000 for Gillingham defender Jack Tucker who is also wanted by Celtic, Rangers, Hull, Peterborough, Brentford and Reading."

Might just be agent talk but if any of those 6 clubs are interested, we've got no chance.

• Options
    Even with Covid I’m surprised the price is so low weren’t there after £2m a year ago?
  • Options

"Portsmouth place opening bid of £200,000 for Gillingham defender Jack Tucker who is also wanted by Celtic, Rangers, Hull, Peterborough, Brentford and Reading."

Might just be agent talk but if any of those 6 clubs are interested, we've got no chance.

Depends on if they can offer him a first team place and whether he wants to stay local. But we would be outsiders.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Even with Covid I’m surprised the price is so low weren’t there after £2m a year ago?
    That's what I thought? £200k sounds ridiculously low. 
  • Options
    Tucker is out of contract next summer. I can see Gillingham selling him because they won’t want to risk him going cross border and getting next to nothing like we did with Aribo.

A good but sensible offer and the guarantee of first team football and we could sign him, even if it’s a small chance with interest higher up the pyramid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Tucker would be an excellent move but another like Mendes Gomes where I would expect us to be blown out the water by a Championship club. 
     Are these not the kind of signings we should be making if TS is serious about getting out of this league?
  • Options
    Addicks59 said:
    Ipswich have upped there interest in Siegrist Dundee Swiss goalkeeper. 
    Siegrist Dundee is a hell of a name.
    Nicknamed Crocodile. Snap him up quickly.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Are these not the kind of signings we should be making if TS is serious about getting out of this league?
    Absolutely should be the signings we target, players that you wouldn't be replacing next summer because you'd be confident they can step up into the Championship. 
  • Options
    Jack Tucker would be a great signing, sort of player we need. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Locality and potential playing time are the things that may sway Tucker to us, but we really do need this type of signing to show intent, sure Steve and Co have things covered.
  • Options
    For a player of his potential £500k is absolutely nothing. If we want to operate in the same way Brentford do, you have to be prepared to take these gambles. 
    Two things about that… Brentford plays moneyball. CAFC fans seem to hate that concept. Second, Brentford eliminated its academy and spent all that money on transfers and wages. Is this what we want? Cuz that’s what we would need to do to replicate them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts
    I don't think anyone is suggesting we copy them in every single way. I think the general point is that if we want to both go into the Champ and then try and push for the Prem, buying players for 500k who are going to rise in value is what you need to do. It sounds obvious but you got to pick the right players, we can't afford to sign 10 of them and hope 4/5 come off. 
    If you sign ten and four or five get sold for ten times what you paid (the multiple someone mentioned earlier), assuming you paid roughly the same for each, you're quids in.  Even if four get sold for three times what you paid you're probably breaking even on that ten and you've had the use of good players.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MarcusH26 said:

Targeting yes, but with the best will do n the world we will be punching upwards regarding actually signing them given championship interest and other fish in the League One pond will also be interested.

We're NOT going to land every single one of our first choices. That's a given. It can't be helped - it's the reality of a sensibly run L1 club. 

I'm sure location, relative wealth and probably Adkins' positivity will help us grab a few that other teams want as well - but we're not going to win them all.
  • Options
    I can't help thinking that the anxiety expressed by some is a reflection of our transfer windows under previous regimes. I'm fairly positive that both SG, NA and TS have everything in hand and that we will have a squad that will be more than competitive at this level. The best players are worth waiting for.

• Options
    Thanks Colin
    Yep.
    It's definitely him
    Careful. When I said that earlier in the week I got censored but you are right , it’s definitely him .
    I keep deleting them Beds because I don’t understand why you, Henry and others want to ‘out’ someone, particularly when they are posting nothing wrong or controversial. We as moderators know who a poster is and are happy for him to post, so that should be that. 

The Thanks Colin stuff was 7, 8 years ago and whilst amusing at the time, should now be left there please. 

Now let’s get back to the purpose of the thread. 
    Which is what, actually?  Rumours or the history of the USSR?  I admit, I'm lost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Colin
    Yep.
    It's definitely him
    Careful. When I said that earlier in the week I got censored but you are right , it’s definitely him .
    I keep deleting them Beds because I don’t understand why you, Henry and others want to ‘out’ someone, particularly when they are posting nothing wrong or controversial. We as moderators know who a poster is and are happy for him to post, so that should be that. 

The Thanks Colin stuff was 7, 8 years ago and whilst amusing at the time, should now be left there please. 

Now let’s get back to the purpose of the thread. 
    Which is what, actually?  Rumours or the history of the USSR?  I admit, I'm lost.

• Options
    Big article on news feed now from NA about state of play and who is yet to sign new contracts.I have tried to transfer it over old man new technology comes to mind do not know if anybody more cleverer than me could post it over.
  • Options
    Well done charlton hero thanks
  • Options
    For a player of his potential £500k is absolutely nothing. If we want to operate in the same way Brentford do, you have to be prepared to take these gambles. 
    Two things about that… Brentford plays moneyball. CAFC fans seem to hate that concept. Second, Brentford eliminated its academy and spent all that money on transfers and wages. Is this what we want? Cuz that’s what we would need to do to replicate them.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts
    I don't think anyone is suggesting we copy them in every single way. I think the general point is that if we want to both go into the Champ and then try and push for the Prem, buying players for 500k who are going to rise in value is what you need to do. It sounds obvious but you got to pick the right players, we can't afford to sign 10 of them and hope 4/5 come off. 
    If you sign ten and four or five get sold for ten times what you paid (the multiple someone mentioned earlier), assuming you paid roughly the same for each, you're quids in.  Even if four get sold for three times what you paid you're probably breaking even on that ten and you've had the use of good players.
    Of course, but we're not going to be splashing 5mil in League 1. 
  • Options
    Don't know why people are surprised its slow in a tournament summer
  • Options
    Thanks for the post hero, think we have already worked out that we weren't going to be finished before pre-season, hopefully before the season starts would be great
  • Options
    edited June 2021

On the basis we won't be signing 10 this window, let's say we signed 5.  If 2 of them were really good and the other 3 struggled with the demands of 1st team league 1 football.  We could sell one for say 5 million quid, "jog one on" and keep the other 3 and repeat the process.

Sounds good in theory but if we are effectively 3 players short we will probably either still be in league 1 or needing the lottery of the play offs.  The profit from the sale would be swallowed up by the lose we make in league 1.

Peterborough have been very good at buying cheap, selling high and it took them 8 years to get promoted.  They have far lower fixed costs and expectations.

Get promoted and not only are you far more attractive to players you can afford to take 1 or 2 more risks.

For us now it's a bit of a pipe dream that's easy to advocate if it's not your money or your head on the block.

Maybe 1 or 2 but I can't see any more than that.  I do how ever expect a few Pope, Smith, Aribo types who are for tomorrow, not this seasons squad. 
  • Options
    It does feel like we were forced to act quickly with Stockley for some reason. Competition can lead to good impacts too!
  • Options
    Thanks for the post hero, think we have already worked out that we weren't going to be finished before pre-season, hopefully before the season starts would be great
    I think we will be 3 short of where we want to be on opening day.  2 late prem loans and a deadline day signing. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!