Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Charlton Athletic| Sat 1 May 2021| 3pm

Comments

• Options
    Trying to rack my brain but in all my time following the club I can’t remember a game where we have been so hoofy and poor quality. Anyone?
    And this is where the rebuild has to start.

For all the midfielders that Bowyer signed and that Adkins has inherited, we still lack two key fundamentals ... a 'Guvnor' who can boss things (so that's Watson with pace and an eye for a pass greater than three metres) and players who can run at the opposition and deliver a final ball (so that's Millar, but with an end product.  Note ... it isn't Jaiyesimi).

Get those two things sorted and we'll be moving in the right direction.  Still a lot more to do, but the spine needs sorting and those midfield roles are the crucial first step.
  • Options
    agree 100% - midfield is the first area to address
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    What I want to see next season is; stupid mistakes minimised, clearances with composure so the ball doesn't keep coming back at you, a midfield that wins the battles/second balls and is fit enough to show for each other and a squad of players who can bloody play and don't need to be rested all the time.
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    I don’t know what you lot are going on about,i thought that was a lovely game of rugby but please Adkins can we play football on Tuesday.And just a quick one Scott Minto,I love you,but can you take your tongue out of Adkins arsehole for a minute and ask him why isn’t SHINNIE playing
    I expect the reason why Shinnie isn't playing is because he is out of contract in the summer. Its not as if he was "ours" anyway & might have already told the club he will be looking to go elsewhere.

To a lesser extent I reckon this goes for Aneke too.
  • Options
    I hate to say it but on our last two performances we don't deserve to go up and if we did with the majority of these players we would go straight back down, nobody knows apart from TS how much he can invest in team recruitment, would it be enough to compete in the championship ????? 
    I doubt it
  • Options
    Hopefully Burnley will sell Pope. That ought to fund a decent recruitment.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    We'll need 10+ signings, the order they’re confirmed in isn’t important. No doubt though that several key midfield signings will be part of the plan. The main thing is we get the bulk of our business done early, that’ll be a decent indicator on whether signings are our first choices.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    DOUCHER said:
    We'll need 10+ signings, the order they’re confirmed in isn’t important. No doubt though that several key midfield signings will be part of the plan. The main thing is we get the bulk of our business done early, that’ll be a decent indicator on whether signings are our first choices.
    Yes, you're right that the order is not important ... but midfield has to be the priority.  If we don't improve significantly in that area, the rest is largely irrelevant.
  • Options
    Morning golfaddick it doesn’t matter if he’s not here next season he is a quality player who needs to be in the side and help us in to the playoffs then when the seasons over thank him and wave goodbye
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    What I know is going to annoy me is seeing Aneke play much more next season for somebody else. If he could play more, he is the player I would have at the top of my list to try to keep but if he can only play 15 minutes here and half an hour there, there isn't much point! 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Croydon said:
    MattF said:
    Worst part about that is we'll still probably be delaying contract talks cause we still "dont know what league we'll be in"
    No one should be getting new contracts anyway.

I know you have a history of being extreme and OTT but even by your standards that is a weird one.

We have been very mediocre this season BUT if Swartz and Stockley had scored their penalties those extra 3 points(a win at Oxford and a draw with Posh) would've meant we still had it in our own hands to grab/mug/ steal a play off place with two games to go. 

Without checking the contract situation, we are too top heavy with senior players:
    Pearce,Watson, Gunter and Pratley; at least two seniors too many where you need young legs.

The fact that Adkins is finding the same problems as Bowyer with players not being fit to start or finish games, erratic form, and a Dozen gift wrapped goals to the opposition has continued even under the positivity of Nigel. Not quite so much but Famewo shocking pass back was under Nads. The players responsibility not the coaches, as no one teaches shit back passes. 

We need 8 or so new players brought in for our next campaign in League 1, and blend them in with the likes of JFC, Gilbey, DJ.

Inniss and Aneke injuries were so frustrating, they have a giant influence on this team but missing so many games and Chuks only able to play small cameos, has blown our chances with 2 games to go.

The Doughty injury, Maddison a C+D winner in League one being in a bad place, Aneke's lack of minutes, both Inniss and Famewo being injured at the same time, Bowyer having not a plan B but an A-Z of different tactics, positions and formations. Problem was the players weren't as good as Lee and just couldn't adapt to the different instructions.

Good luck in getting it right for the 21/22 season, Nigel, Thomas, Steve and Jed.

It was a Clint Eastwood season:
    Good,bad and after Crewe and Accrington;
    to name just two poor matches, ugly.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9534447/Burnley-Aaron-Ramsdale-45m-rated-England-keeper-Nick-Pope-sold.html

Isn't the sell on in excess of 20%?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I'd be moving heaven & earth to sign Famewo. 

Like all our players yesterday was shaky but no way will he make Norwich's Premier squad so another one season loan for the young CB with Cafc unless the canaries think he is ready for a Championship loan ?

Just cut out the crap pass backs Akin !
  • Options
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9534447/Burnley-Aaron-Ramsdale-45m-rated-England-keeper-Nick-Pope-sold.html

Yes and it will head to a bank in Brussels  >:)
  • Options
    This match,in hindsight,was crying out for someone who could just play a ten yard pass to a team mate,Watson could have done that,and may just have been the calming influence needed.Regarding players to be kept,I would certainly keep Chucks,look at his goal scoring record,even for the limited times he plays.We have the basis of a good defence,Amos,Matthews,Purrington, Innis ,Pearce as back up,so we need 2 centre backs and  2 covering full backs.Midfield,JFC,Shinnie,Morgan and Gilbey ,sadly Pratley and Watson both36 will probably leave,Pratley has done a great job for this club,and Watson at times has looked class.I assume loans will go back,which leaves DJ,and Aneke,Washington and Ronnie.I think Adkins needs to look at how our out on loan players have performed.One thing is certain,I do not ever want to watch a Charlton team playing the way we did yesterday.
    All our players are capable of that but they chose not to (or were told not to)
  • Options

Am I the only one who can't see why Ramsdale is so rated? 

A Pope sell on fee would be really lucrative, especially as the original fee was so low. Range Rovers all round!
  • Options
    The Peterborough and Plymouth matches we passed the ball so well including on the deck !
    This was the same group of players that were hapless and played hoofball yesterday and were hesitant against Crewe.

In the Peterborough game we couldn't find the killer pass around the box( credit to good defending by posh) but we passed well in the build up and the moves were sublime in the Plymouth game in transition despite the poor marking and defending by the Devon team. 
  • Options

Can't see how that can be seeing as Roland owns the ground but not the club.
  • Options
    The club isn’t in control of the match pictures from Accrington AFAIK. It is at the mercy of the local production team. That said, I think not to acknowledge the fact the goal had been missed and apologise afterwards was a very poor decision.

Not sure who is supposed to be calling out Adkins? 

I was watching Accrington stream and didn't miss the goal. 
    Generally there would be a straight feed of all live coverage to Quest and to the two club's own services, enabling them to choose their own replays. Quest don't want to be at the mercy of local coverage. It's probable that Minto etc would be watching the direct feed rather than the Valley Pass coverage. It's also why the goal could be shown straight after, it came in on the live feed and was therefore recorded. If Accrington had sent the replay out, then to show the goal would have taken longer to source.

This is why sometimes Steve Brown has referred to seeing a replay, at away grounds he will be watching the local feed.

Replay selection has been poor all season. It's also clear that our commentators have no info on what replay pictures are being shown and, I would guess, no Comms with the Valley Pass production.

I still feel we are lucky to have the choice to pay a tenner to see games and in the same way that we have third division players we sometimes have a third division production. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think in terms of the video production they have to learn that because you can show a replay, it doesn't mean you should. Less is often more and the times when you need to show are often apparent.
  • Options

Can't see how that can be seeing as Roland owns the ground but not the club.

Definitely not ! but Roland did make millions, allegedly accordingly to top foreign journalists, when Michy Batshuayi went from Standard Liège to Marseille for 4 million and the sell on when he went to Chelsea for £33.2 million. Owner and agent in Belgium !

Believe it or not Batshuayi was given a 5 year contract by Putin's bitch.
  • Options
    What we lacked was a midfielder to get on the ball and dictate. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    ozaddick said:
    What we lacked was a midfielder to get on the ball and dictate. 

Both JFC and Gilbey struggled yesterday despite being two of our better players over the last 12 matches so why not put on Shinnie and Morgan with Aneke for 25 minutes or so when Pompey were 3-1 up and a draw was not good enough.

No knifes out from me for Adkins just like I backed Bowyer until he appeared beaten in a post match interview, but putting on Shinnie and Morgan in added time when we are 1-0 down was a strange decision. The fact that Morgan put in a good ball despite only being on the field for 3 minutes surely backs up the decision to put on Albie and Shinnie who can play the ball on the deck or quality balls to Aneke or Stockley in the air for at least 25 minutes. 
  • Options
    There is no sense having knives out for Adkins. He needs the chance to show what he can do with his squad next season. I think he went about things the wrong way to a degree in our last two games though and shouldn't be free of any criticism.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    MattF said:
    Worst part about that is we'll still probably be delaying contract talks cause we still "dont know what league we'll be in"
    No one should be getting new contracts anyway.

I know you have a history of being extreme and OTT but even by your standards that is a weird one.

We have been very mediocre this season BUT if Swartz and Stockley had scored their penalties those extra 3 points(a win at Oxford and a draw with Posh) would've meant we still had it in our own hands to grab/mug/ steal a play off place with two games to go. 

Without checking the contract situation, we are too top heavy with senior players:
    Pearce,Watson, Gunter and Pratley; at least two seniors too many where you need young legs.

The fact that Adkins is finding the same problems as Bowyer with players not being fit to start or finish games, erratic form, and a Dozen gift wrapped goals to the opposition has continued even under the positivity of Nigel. Not quite so much but Famewo shocking pass back was under Nads. The players responsibility not the coaches, as no one teaches shit back passes. 

We need 8 or so new players brought in for our next campaign in League 1, and blend them in with the likes of JFC, Gilbey, DJ.

Inniss and Aneke injuries were so frustrating, they have a giant influence on this team but missing so many games and Chuks only able to play small cameos, has blown our chances with 2 games to go.

The Doughty injury, Maddison a C+D winner in League one being in a bad place, Aneke's lack of minutes, both Inniss and Famewo being injured at the same time, Bowyer having not a plan B but an A-Z of different tactics, positions and formations. Problem was the players weren't as good as Lee and just couldn't adapt to the different instructions.

Good luck in getting it right for the 21/22 season, Nigel, Thomas, Steve and Jed.

It was a Clint Eastwood season:
    Good,bad and after Crewe and Accrington;
    to name just two poor matches, ugly.
    We haven't missed out on playoffs due to two missed penalties, it's because we've been playing poorly for the majority of the season. 

As far as I'm aware, Amos, Inniss, DJ, JFC, Washington, Matthews and Gilbey don't need new contracts, along with a few of the youngsters. I'm just saying I wouldn't renew those who are out of contract.  Even Chuks, who is great, but we can't carry players who can't play 90 mins. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Nobody has ever explained why Chuks can't play 90 minutes in a satisfactory way or maybe more to the point, is this going to be for the rest of his career or a short term thing.
  • Options
    The club isn’t in control of the match pictures from Accrington AFAIK. It is at the mercy of the local production team. That said, I think not to acknowledge the fact the goal had been missed and apologise afterwards was a very poor decision.

Not sure who is supposed to be calling out Adkins? 

I was watching Accrington stream and didn't miss the goal. 
    That is interesting. Makes you wonder what pictures they were watching at The Valley, as I found it extraordinary they didn’t mention missing the goal.
    And Brownie mentioned seeing replays of things when the replays weren’t shown on the CAFC stream.
  • Options
    Davo53 said:
    I don’t know what you lot are going on about,i thought that was a lovely game of rugby but please Adkins can we play football on Tuesday.And just a quick one Scott Minto,I love you,but can you take your tongue out of Adkins arsehole for a minute and ask him why isn’t SHINNIE playing
    My big bruv has a lovely turn of phrase :smiley::D