Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Charlton Athletic| Sat 1 May 2021| 3pm

Comments

• Our Thomas will have to spend to get out of this league. We need strikers like Peterboro that can go a whole season and bag a lot of goals. We need players with heart and guts who want to play. 

It will be interesting to see who Nigel brings in but this season is best forgotten and just be grateful that we got a great sensible owner who hopefully will come good with his cheque book!
  • a complete fluke that with two minutes to go we bring on Morgan. Midfielder who never gets a game. Play him in the middle for the start of next match adkins! 

we were piss poor. "lets match them" says adkins. why?! play your own game! awful throughout. Gunter, give me a break, i thought he might have something on Bowyer but now Adkins is playing him, god help us. 
  • LordDofB said:
    Those three missed penalties will prove to be the difference sadly.   
    Plus the last minute goal conceded last Tuesday and at Swindon and at Shrewsbury and at anywhere else I can't remember!
  • clb74 said:
    On the plus side I've got 2 new grounds possibly 4 next season.
    Not all doom and gloom.

Welcome to Charlton Life, Nigel.
  • Just annoyed that we male a decision to play "Beast" football and don't play our Beast.

Picking the team at this point in the season shouldn't be a political thing. Just pick the players most likely to get the points. Not the players you want to sign for next season.
  • edited May 2021
    I stopped watching midway through the second half, with brownies endless waffle and what was park football, I’d had enough.These are paid professionals turning in shite like that or was that the managers game plan. I didn’t think I could see worse football than Robinson’s how wrong was I. 
  • Davo53 said:
    Hartley Pete we have a quality midfielder in Shinnie but it’s no good bringing him on in the 91st minute and if he had played Aneke from the start I think we would be coming home with 3 points also I don’t think it’s fair blaming Famewo for the goal yes he shouldn’t have made the challenge but Accrington’s forward was still 35 yards from goal but Gunter kept backing away from him inviting him to shoot keep him 35 yards from goal body check him take the yellow danger over.
    He's done it all season the useless %£@+
  • Terrible game. League 2 level of passing & play. Endless punting the ball forward with no control & little creativity. Even Adkins had to admit how bad that was. There has been some poor football and performances this season. This match was up there with the worst of them. This match dire for the quality of football and absence of passing. Its good that Charlton have survived the season with a club intact. A very large rebuild needs to be made at the end of the season. Hopefully with a preseason and support from Thomas Sandgaard something reasonabling a coherent football team that passes the ball will emerge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Knives will be out for Adkins now, for a few at least, and yes he's not got everything right but he gave us a sniff of the play-offs and personally I think he's done well.

This squad is limited, too many not fit enough to play 90 mins (and some of our better players like Chuks and Conor) or coming back from injuries (Innis, Famewo), not enough quality or consistency in midfield (we rely too much on JFC). 

But before anyone wants to bury Nigel, we did go ten unbeaten and won at Sunderland.

The home form has killed us under both managers but the underlying problem was ESI and Duchatelet with some added salary cap crap on top.

It takes time to recover from that and, despite being the optimist that I am, that recovery will now have to resume next season in league one IMHO.

Now, where is that season ticket application form?
    This
  • Oh well, at least there won't be the endless arguments about who should get one of the 10,000 tickets we would get for Wembley.

• It was a poor performance by an average squad, season over. Will be interesting to see the calibre of player we buy this summer. Pressure will certainly be on next season.
  • The players are wretched. No excuse. Pub team in a pub league.  As bad as when we had donkey Doughty and Dailly as our oil tanker turning centre backs. That was bad, this is worse. Another season playing pub teams.
  • Worst part about that is we'll still probably be delaying contract talks cause we still "dont know what league we'll be in"
  • Who do we keep for next year of those who've been proper first teamers?
    Out the door: Millar, Maatsen, one of Gunter and Matthews, one of Shinnie and Gilbey, Pearce, Pratley, Watson, 
    Probables: Amos, try to get Famewo of which I'd say there's a fair chance seeing as he isn't good enough for the top flight with Norwich, maybe try to get Stockley if we're stuck here again, one of Gunter and Matthews, one of Shinnie and Gilbey, Purrington, Washington.
    Definites: JFC, Inniss, Morgan and any other youngsters who've appeared, Chucks, DJ.
  • I didn't want Nigel but... to be fair to him and give him a chance look at what he inherited! 

I'll judge him on the signings he makes and where we are by Xmas.

But....we need quality players to and TS needs to spend some dosh.
  • That was painful to watch

Minto and Curbs worrying about Pompey but we are 6 goals worse than Oxford there’s no way we will make that up if they win

We will finish 8th and frankly that’s where we probably should be 
    Oxford no longer matter to us

We have to win our final two games to go up, Portsmouth cant win their final game.

If we achieve our target, Oxford cant finish above us, if we dont achieve our target of two wins then we dont go into the Play-Offs as we wont go above Portsmouth.

Only other permutation is we draw one, win one game

In which case we need Portsmouth to lose their final game, and we'd need a swing of four goals in our favour to over come their Goal Difference - In that case we would need Oxford to lose else a draw would see their GD come into account, a win for Oxford would put them 6th.
    You've miscalculated badly.

Oxford are 3 points above us with a 6 better goal difference. if they win their last game by 1 goal we'd have to win our 2 games by a combined 8 goals to go above them. Not happening.

More likely is Oxford and Pompey both drop the points we need them to but we also drop points and fail to capitalize. Our last two matches are very very tough. 
    Exactly what will happen I reckon!
  • Sponsored links:

• That was painful to watch

Minto and Curbs worrying about Pompey but we are 6 goals worse than Oxford there’s no way we will make that up if they win

We will finish 8th and frankly that’s where we probably should be 
    Oxford no longer matter to us

We have to win our final two games to go up, Portsmouth cant win their final game.

If we achieve our target, Oxford cant finish above us, if we dont achieve our target of two wins then we dont go into the Play-Offs as we wont go above Portsmouth.

Only other permutation is we draw one, win one game

In which case we need Portsmouth to lose their final game, and we'd need a swing of four goals in our favour to over come their Goal Difference - In that case we would need Oxford to lose else a draw would see their GD come into account, a win for Oxford would put them 6th.
    Think you're wrong their mate. Oxford can get 74 points same as us AND they have a better GD. If they win their game by even just 1 goal we will have to win our last 2 by a combined +7. Ain't going to happen. The chances of both Pompey AND Oxford both not winning AND us winning our last 2 games (which happen to he against the top 2 in form sides) are slim to zero. In fact, the bookies would laugh you out the door if you wanted odds on it. 
  • It was anyone’s game to win but I did feel that chuks does suit that kind of game especially as Jayden wasn’t winning much of the ball. Chuks is the best player in the final third at keeping the ball and making something happen. Our passing was poor for large parts of the game and we gave the ball away far far too easily. Nothing to lose now but just play an attacking game on Tuesday and just go for it. I would start with chuks this time.
  • Another massive overhaul needed. Sandgaard will back Adkins but I’m sure the teams coming down from the Championship (apart from Wycombe) will get a big financial backing too.
  • I don't have it in for Adkins, especially with the shit he was left with.

I'd love, love, to be able to ask him if he forgot Gilbey was on the pitch when he was making subs. 
  • Amother draw that feels like a loss. Too many this season. Still think we have a chance - for seventh.
  • I will really be surprised if NA manages to do what Chris Powell did years ago with an almost complete new team.
    But hope that I'm wrong. Only two players impressed me today (Chucks and Albie who only touched the ball once I think). Pay a tenner and the camera misses the goal, brilliant. Same old excuses by Nigel and Lee we can't play at Accrington and Fleetwood because it's windy and the pitches are crap. Received a card today about season ticket for 2021/22, they're having a laugh!
  • edited May 2021
    LordDofB said:
    Those three missed penalties will prove to be the difference sadly.   
    Certainly the one against Oxford will be. Look at the difference if we had won that game & not drawn it. They would virtually be out of it & we would be in the box seat.
  • Henry Irving said:
    Knives will be out for Adkins now, for a few at least, and yes he's not got everything right but he gave us a sniff of the play-offs and personally I think he's done well.

He can only be judged on next season in my opinion.  He has to have time to build his own squad over the Summer.  I just ask that he buys players who can play on a regular basis, and not be injured all the time (well, no known history of bad injuries)

• Knives will be out for Adkins now, for a few at least, and yes he's not got everything right but he gave us a sniff of the play-offs and personally I think he's done well.

This squad is limited, too many not fit enough to play 90 mins (and some of our better players like Chuks and Conor) or coming back from injuries (Innis, Famewo), not enough quality or consistency in midfield (we rely too much on JFC). 

But before anyone wants to bury Nigel, we did go ten unbeaten and won at Sunderland.

The home form has killed us under both managers but the underlying problem was ESI and Duchatelet with some added salary cap crap on top.

It takes time to recover from that and, despite being the optimist that I am, that recovery will now have to resume next season in league one IMHO.

Now, where is that season ticket application form?
    all true but still when a slightly better manager and team comes along we fold. Darren Ferguson and Peterborough did a number on us. Crew's Midfield had so much room we might as well not of been there. Today with our tactics to match them? why, when they are obviously well rehearsed on it. 

I'm not one of those that has the knife out and you are right that behind the scenes have contributed to a poor team. At the same time i am one of those who cant just let poor tactics, player selections and performances just slide by. 
  • Another massive overhaul needed. Sandgaard will back Adkins but I’m sure the teams coming down from the Championship (apart from Wycombe) will get a big financial backing too.
    Not sure about that, Weds are under embargo at the moment, I think, due to late account submission (surprise, surprise) and Derby are basically in the same position were last year, with a dodgy takeover waiting to go through. I think both clubs would be in turmoil if they went down and if we get quality business done early, I think we could jump the gun on them. I'm more worried about Wigan, Ipswich and Sunderland (if they stay down) as they all have supposedly well off new owners.