Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Charlton Athletic| Sat 1 May 2021| 3pm

Comments

• paulfox said:
    I’ve watched every game on valley pass this season and have to say sadly, for the 1st time in 40 odd years I can honestly say I don’t have a favourite player at the moment which I think says a lot about our team. This season has turned to shit which is a travesty considering the takeover and the lift that should have given everyone. From Bowyer doing a shit  job, to the players doing a shit job it’s just all turned to shit proper Charlton style. To be honest it’s a complete f^%%#ing embarrassment. I really do wish the fans were in that stadium letting the players know how inept they have been in this shite league.I can’t even bring myself to give the benefit of the doubt due to COVID, because other teams have been ok, but we’ve just been shit!!!!!!!. To be in a very fortunate position with 3 games to go and show a complete lack of any quality and fight I just found astonishing today. Brain dead bottlejobs the lot of them. There is not one player I would be disappointed to see go, literally not one!!!!. I’m more pissed off about the shit football and disrespect for our shirt from this rabble than actually going up.!! Ok rant done now, I had too though!.😂🥵🤬🤬

Have to agree - feel no connection with these players.
  • paulfox said:
    I’ve watched every game on valley pass this season and have to say sadly, for the 1st time in 40 odd years I can honestly say I don’t have a favourite player at the moment which I think says a lot about our team. This season has turned to shit which is a travesty considering the takeover and the lift that should have given everyone. From Bowyer doing a shit  job, to the players doing a shit job it’s just all turned to shit proper Charlton style. To be honest it’s a complete f^%%#ing embarrassment. I really do wish the fans were in that stadium letting the players know how inept they have been in this shite league.I can’t even bring myself to give the benefit of the doubt due to COVID, because other teams have been ok, but we’ve just been shit!!!!!!!. To be in a very fortunate position with 3 games to go and show a complete lack of any quality and fight I just found astonishing today. Brain dead bottlejobs the lot of them. There is not one player I would be disappointed to see go, literally not one!!!!. I’m more pissed off about the shit football and disrespect for our shirt from this rabble than actually going up.!! Ok rant done now, I had too though!.😂🥵🤬🤬

Have to agree - feel no connection with these players.
    It’s gutting to say that though isn’t it?, and I’m not sure if we were in the ground I’d feel a lot differently. I hope I would but!!!???
  • paulfox said:
    Totally agree. The last two games have been utterly disgraceful considering the position we had got ourselves into. Is it simply a case of players not wanting to get injured (apart from not giving a shit)?
  • One consolation...we are not Southend.
  • With the players we have it is a miracle we sitting just outside the top 6.

I don’t think any of this team would have got into the Wembley team of 2019. 

The Goalkeeper, Defenders, Midfield & Forwards are all inferior to the promotion side. This is obvious to everyone associated with Charlton.

The big question is whether Thomas will invest in a complete overhaul of the playing staff.
    If he does we should be in for a very exciting 2021/22 season.
    If he doesn’t I’m afraid we are going to be stuck in this horrible league for a few more seasons.
  • Mentioned on other thread but been so impressed with Accrington this season. Thought, they were excellent yesterday and they get 100% out of every player they have. It’s a shame that we have run out of steam when it has mattered.
  • There are players available that haven't run out of steam
  • Mentioned on other thread but been so impressed with Accrington this season. Thought, they were excellent yesterday and they get 100% out of every player they have. It’s a shame that we have run out of steam when it has mattered.
    When most of your team are over 7 foot there only one way to play 
  • I think we’ve done really well to stay up.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2021
    The club isn’t in control of the match pictures from Accrington AFAIK. It is at the mercy of the local production team. That said, I think not to acknowledge the fact the goal had been missed and apologise afterwards was a very poor decision.

Not sure who is supposed to be calling out Adkins? 

I was watching Accrington stream and didn't miss the goal. 
    That is interesting. Makes you wonder what pictures they were watching at The Valley, as I found it extraordinary they didn’t mention missing the goal.
  • Hopefully this is 2011 repeated.  That team required major surgery, and I recall that my POTY was'nobody'.  Tough act to repeat 2011-12, but next season will surely be better than this
  • Davo55 said:

An appalling match. We played Accrington at their own game and that was a big mistake. They are simply better at that kind of shit than we are.

This is a rubbish league and it’s undeniable that we look right at home in it. The team just isn’t good enough. Virtually no creativity, low intelligence, poor movement on and off the ball, low energy, devoid of tactical nous.

With Lincoln and Hull still to come, we need a miracle to qualify for the play offs and, to be honest, I really wouldn’t fancy our chances should we fluke a place.

We need a major overhaul in the summer. I just hope Sandgaard gives Adkins the resources to do that properly and give us some hope for next season. Let’s have a Charlton team worthy of the shirt. This group aren’t.

If this league is so shit and we are so good,how come everyone passes us of the field playing  football and we play hood ball ?
    The times Accrington players were able to drift into space and receive balls to feet was nearly as many as Crewe. Seems to me we are the problem.  
    I think you need to read again @addick1956. My post was all about how bad we are (ie NOT good).
  • edited May 2021
    Season done and sadly ended with a whimper, in game and on field management completely non existent, there was no captain out there today!

However, after getting out from Crooks, ESI and Douchbag in combo, then having to buy rejects and dross, under a salary cap from hell, guess we shouldn’t moan. 

So Happy days, we have a good start for next season, hopefully Mr Gallen, Roddy and Adkins have made notes of who is worth acquiring, ASFC Centre Backs are worth a look. 

Curbs once said “it takes three years to biuld a squad” to have gone up this season would have been a huge bonus.

The issue is we never seem to "build" a squad. Every year sees a major clear out and a new set of mostly over-the-hill, or injury prone, or bang average journeymen installed. If we want to build we should be moving heaven and earth (and money) to secure those few high quality players we do have, and then ensure that the recruitment strategy is aligned to the stated vision.
  • The club isn’t in control of the match pictures from Accrington AFAIK. It is at the mercy of the local production team. That said, I think not to acknowledge the fact the goal had been missed and apologise afterwards was a very poor decision.

Not sure who is supposed to be calling out Adkins? 

I was watching Accrington stream and didn't miss the goal. 
    That is interesting. Makes you wonder what pictures they were watching at The Valley, as I found it extraordinary they didn’t mention missing the goal.
    100% mate, just checked with the people I was watching with that I wasn't going mad.
    Didn't react as I though chucks looked offside initially. 
    How I was still paying attention after 95mins was a feat in itself.

Think it was because Albie was taking the free kick and I just really want him to do well. 
  • Davo55 said:
    Davo55 said:

An appalling match. We played Accrington at their own game and that was a big mistake. They are simply better at that kind of shit than we are.

This is a rubbish league and it’s undeniable that we look right at home in it. The team just isn’t good enough. Virtually no creativity, low intelligence, poor movement on and off the ball, low energy, devoid of tactical nous.

With Lincoln and Hull still to come, we need a miracle to qualify for the play offs and, to be honest, I really wouldn’t fancy our chances should we fluke a place.

We need a major overhaul in the summer. I just hope Sandgaard gives Adkins the resources to do that properly and give us some hope for next season. Let’s have a Charlton team worthy of the shirt. This group aren’t.

If this league is so shit and we are so good,how come everyone passes us of the field playing  football and we play hood ball ?
    The times Accrington players were able to drift into space and receive balls to feet was nearly as many as Crewe. Seems to me we are the problem.  
    I think you need to read again @addick1956. My post was all about how bad we are (ie NOT good).
    Same, my comment was as a club and our history I think Championship is our staple, don't have a right to be prem. 

The players we have don't deserve championship. 
  • MattF said:
    Worst part about that is we'll still probably be delaying contract talks cause we still "dont know what league we'll be in"
    Personally don’t think there are many, if any, contract talks we have to have with existing players.
  • This match,in hindsight,was crying out for someone who could just play a ten yard pass to a team mate,Watson could have done that,and may just have been the calming influence needed.Regarding players to be kept,I would certainly keep Chucks,look at his goal scoring record,even for the limited times he plays.We have the basis of a good defence,Amos,Matthews,Purrington, Innis ,Pearce as back up,so we need 2 centre backs and  2 covering full backs.Midfield,JFC,Shinnie,Morgan and Gilbey ,sadly Pratley and Watson both36 will probably leave,Pratley has done a great job for this club,and Watson at times has looked class.I assume loans will go back,which leaves DJ,and Aneke,Washington and Ronnie.I think Adkins needs to look at how our out on loan players have performed.One thing is certain,I do not ever want to watch a Charlton team playing the way we did yesterday.
  • The equation seems to be:
    For a chance of a clean sheet - start Innis
    For the chance to take the lead - start Chucks

Lots of us on here have been saying it fir weeks:
    We are just not good enough. 
  • Sponsored links:

• i don't think our players can be criticised for effort and commitment but they just aren't quite good enough - id like to know the reason shinnie and chucks have played so little since Adkins arrived - our best striker and most creative midfielder - if due to injury /. physio advice, fair enough , if not then that has to be questioned.

i just hope we go all out and attack for the last 2 games now - get them 2 in the team along with morgan and lets have a go - if we get exposed at the back as a consequence so be it but surely worth a try as we've been pants all season ar home anyway.

Regardless, a complete overhaul needed and yes, promotion preferable this year but having a promotion season or attempt at least and a bit of joy and momentum building in the stadium next year won't be a bad thing as opposed to a season of consolidation at best if we went up now.

I trust TS and think he now has his 'building blocks' in place and with no salary cap, we are about to rock !!!! COYR !!!!! 
  • please no pratley, watson, gunter or pearce in the last 2 games  
  • My own conspiracy theory:  How many of those players would we keep if we somehow got promoted?  Not many.  How many would we retain or renew if we stayed in L1…probably more…so where is the incentive for them to push hard to make the playoffs?  I’m not saying it’s a collective effort to under perform but on an individual basis…I cannot see any incentive for them to bust a gut…
  • Trying to rack my brain but in all my time following the club I can’t remember a game where we have been so hoofy and poor quality. Anyone?
    my dad claims a worst ever on a regular basis but yesterday i would agree with him - that was bad and the lack of time on the ball was very reminiscent of most of the games i've played in in adult football - kick and rush on a crap pitch 
  • CafcWest said:
    My own conspiracy theory:  How many of those players would we keep if we somehow got promoted?  Not many.  How many would we retain or renew if we stayed in L1…probably more…so where is the incentive for them to push hard to make the playoffs?  I’m not saying it’s a collective effort to under perform but on an individual basis…I cannot see any incentive for them to bust a gut…
    If they played well and ‘busted a gut’ for us to get promoted then we would be keeping them in the Championship.
  • If the Club do have the money to rebuild the squad for next season, I hope we get players who are not as brittle as glass and break after a couple of games Also players who are fit enough to play 90mins+ game after games not just one game in 10.
  • edited May 2021
    I think in the end it shows that it was definitely the squad that was the problem. That's two managers who both have promotions on their CV and done a job in difficult circumstances in the league above with relegation threatened teams but can't get this lot to play 

I won't miss any of them if they go, Aneke and JFC only probs. Decided with Stockley we play too one dimensional with him on.

It's crazy how much we actually need next season, first on my list would be Joe Pigott without a doubt, could have the same impact as Lyle and better than any forward we have right now, would love to see him back 
  • I don’t know what you lot are going on about,i thought that was a lovely game of rugby but please Adkins can we play football on Tuesday.And just a quick one Scott Minto,I love you,but can you take your tongue out of Adkins arsehole for a minute and ask him why isn’t SHINNIE playing
  • edited May 2021
    I still think 74 points will be enough because it always is. What has changed is I don't think we will get them.