Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Charlton Athletic| Sat 1 May 2021| 3pm

Comments

• Options
    LordDofB said:
    Those three missed penalties will prove to be the difference sadly.   
    Shwartz, stockley, whats the other one?
  • Options
    we don't even know if Aneke would even want to stay.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    LordDofB said:
    Those three missed penalties will prove to be the difference sadly.   
    Shwartz, stockley, whats the other one?
    Washington at Gillingham 
  • Options
    The blackpool home game was far worse than this
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    So. If we beat Lincoln on Tuesday, then Portsmouth and Oxford lose their final games and we beat Hull, we're in the playoffs. Simple.
  • Options
    Oh well we will go again tomorrow , the sun will still be shining and the birds will be singing!
  • Options
    Taking this game in isolation, we didn't look good enough to win, and we don't look good enough to be promoted either.

However...With the pandemic and everything else, this is the first season that I've seen every game...watching all of them means that you get a different perspective to being a regular at home only fixtures. Possibly slightly more critical.

What I don't understand is the mismatch between home and away form. The former really poor, the latter excellent. Had our home form been the same as our away form we'd be in 2nd place with about 84 points. Automatic promotion. If our home form had just been average, we'd have 78 points. Definite play-offs.

The hapless mid season spell, with Bowyer making 4-5 starting changes every game as well as "losing" some of the players, seems to have cost us about 10 points. 
  • Options
    Seasons over after todays result, we wont beat Lincoln or Hull and Pompey will beat Accrington, and Oxford will win. Yeah i know keep the faith and all that, i cant recall a top two going up that have been so weak, shows how bad the rest of the league is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Knives will be out for Adkins now, for a few at least, and yes he's not got everything right but he gave us a sniff of the play-offs and personally I think he's done well.

This squad is limited, too many not fit enough to play 90 mins (and some of our better players like Chuks and Conor) or coming back from injuries (Innis, Famewo), not enough quality or consistency in midfield (we rely too much on JFC). 

But before anyone wants to bury Nigel, we did go ten unbeaten and won at Sunderland.

The home form has killed us under both managers but the underlying problem was ESI and Duchatelet with some added salary cap crap on top.

It takes time to recover from that and, despite being the optimist that I am, that recovery will now have to resume next season in league one IMHO.

Now, where is that season ticket application form?
    Agree with all this bar one caveat, 5 of those 10 were before Adkins came in so it’s only a 5 game unbeaten run under his stewardship. 

Whoever was in charge it’s been quite clear for a long time that this squad doesn’t have the minerals to compete within the top 6 of the third division. 

Like you say, can’t wait to sign up for a season ticket next season and get back to The Valley.
  • Options
    Knives will be out for Adkins now, for a few at least, and yes he's not got everything right but he gave us a sniff of the play-offs and personally I think he's done well.

This squad is limited, too many not fit enough to play 90 mins (and some of our better players like Chuks and Conor) or coming back from injuries (Innis, Famewo), not enough quality or consistency in midfield (we rely too much on JFC). 

But before anyone wants to bury Nigel, we did go ten unbeaten and won at Sunderland.

The home form has killed us under both managers but the underlying problem was ESI and Duchatelet with some added salary cap crap on top.

It takes time to recover from that and, despite being the optimist that I am, that recovery will now have to resume next season in league one IMHO.

Now, where is that season ticket application form?
    Of course Nigel can only be properly judged when he has had time to build a side playing his style of football, but that doesn't mean that his decisions can't be questioned. No manager, whatever the circumstances, gets a completely free pass!

That's 2 poor performances in a row, both against clubs with a fraction of the resources we have, even after the ESI/Roland disaster, and who play completely different styles of football.
  • Options
  • Options
    Glad I missed this one. In the unlikely event we win the next 2 games I still wouldn't fancy us in the playoffs. We're just not good enough this season. 

Big rebuild in the summer with an ambitious owner is what we should all be looking forward to. 
  • Options
    Glad I missed this one. In the unlikely event we win the next 2 games I still wouldn't fancy us in the playoffs. We're just not good enough this season. 

Big rebuild in the summer with an ambitious owner is what we should all be looking forward to. 
    If we can beat Lincoln and Hull on the trot, we're probably good enough for the playoffs 
  • Options
    Bang average squad thrown together, and it shows. Anyone of our players ‘could’ be a lot better if they were playing with better players and I sincerely hope so as some of them will still be here next season.
    We need a minimum of five young upwardly mobile Championship quality players to be competitive next season, together with one or two youth players pushing to get in the side.

Surprised that we have been in the mix to be honest.
  • Options
    Have any of our donkeys posted one of those "onwards" "we go again" twatter posts yet?

Oh thank fuck for small mercies they are boycotting sochall meedya!
    Isn't there a Twitter ban? Couldn't have picked a better weekend for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    At least we can begin the rebuilding immediately the season ends, rather than waiting three weeks when we lose the play off final to Sunderland.
  • Options
    Trying to rack my brain but in all my time following the club I can’t remember a game where we have been so hoofy and poor quality. Anyone?
  • Options
    Honestly the worst game of football I've ever seen and somehow we were the worst of the two teams by a long long way. Outfought, outpassed, outskilled. Again we didn't even deserve the point. Complete clear out needed, again. Just a shame it will be building to another year in this league.
  • Options
    We are painful to watch. Hopefully Adkins clears these poor excuses for footballers out and gets players in that are fit to wear the shirt. 
    I can, in a medium please.
  • Options
    I’ve never believed in this lot. We have 3 or 4 good players but not an especially strong team. We lack too many of the fundamentals required to be real promotion contenders. Bowyer knew this and was pilloried for saying it, but he spoke truth and it’s showing now. 

It’s not over, Pompey may well drop the points we need them to, but I see the chances of us beating both Lincoln and Hull, even if they are dead rubbers for them, with our utterly pitiful home form, at <15%.

I said last week, but much as I dread the thought of watching at least another 46 games of league one dross, I don’t think missing out on promotion would be the worst thing. This team is miles and miles away from being ready to step up to championship. Would need a complete turnover of almost the whole squad to turn it into a team that could stay up in the championship. Easier said than done, of course, but better to do a partial rebuild in the summer, hopefully get promoted, and then only need another partial rebuild for the championship.  More likely to be able to sustain the success then.

I’m disappointed by it all because of course I wanted to get promoted, but I’ve never expected it this season - the turmoil was too much last summer plus the the whole wage cap issue. The cards have just beeen stacked against us.

This summer will be a big test of Sandgaard’s spending power and the scouting system. The foundation is there for us this time - we should be setup to have a proper tilt at it next season. 
    Good final paragraph.  We'll see what Sandgaard is made of in the summer transfer market.
  • Options
    In successive games we have failed to beat Crewe who outplayed us and Accrington who out muscled us. Whatever formation plays they are not good enough to beat mediocre league 1 teams.
    So there must be a clearout and I suggest as follows
    Keep definitely Amos.Maynard Brewer,Iniss,Morgan  Gilbey(who I think will improve)and DJ
    Keep possibly Shinnie,Washington and JFC
    All the rest should go and if they on contracts should be paid off.
    The squad is too old and recruitment should mirror Chris Powell's first close season, hungry ,young,quick lower division players. Big test for Gallen and Adkins but this season has shown what is needed, there are some good players out there,we need to get them
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Whoever is in charge of replays needs to be tortured 
    Tortured is obviously going too far but it's another argument for me to add for why 10 quid a match is overpriced. The quality of camera work is generally poor and the picture quality is poor compared to normal TV. Not worth more than 3-5 quid.
  • Options
    Normally a point today would be a excellent result .. given the way they play the pitch conditions and the very tough winds ... it was difficult to play football which stopped us playing our own game .. but saying that as a defensive unit we were excellent and restricted them .. much better then we did at the valley ... the system worked but NA has to work with what he got and we don’t have wingbacks so it was always going to be tough for players playing in wrong positions 
    but again we were let down by another poor decision by a very poor ref .. clear foul on Pratley leading to their goal like Peterbro winner when another poor decision cost us there ... 

but we still have a sniff against two teams who have nothing to play for now ... like to see a couple of under 23 on the bench next two games .

• Options
    The only plus from today was I cashed this out before we equalised.