Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I really hope so. These guys go mad for ice hockey which is a shit sport, yet can't find the time to watch Canada vs USA on a Sunday afternoon.

The coverage with Kevin Kilbane is pretty good too!
  • Options
    Canada won 3-0 in El Salvador last night to remain undefeated and are still four points ahead of both Mexico (1-0 win over Panama), and the United States.

The latter beat Honduras 3-0 in Minnesota, yet players had to be subbed at HT simply because they couldn't endure the cold.

Canada will qualify for the World Cup should they win their next game, as they're now eight points ahead of Panama with three games left to play... Their next game is away at Costa Rica on 24th March, although after that they only have to face Jamaica and Panama, so if they dont qualify it really is their own fault now. 

Temperatures dropped to -16C.

As well as tights and gloves, some players wore balaclavas against the cold and Honduras said two players had to be taken off "due to the extreme weather".

Visiting coach Hernan Gomez made three half-time changes, two of which were said to be because of the freezing conditions. Before kick-off Gomez had said staging the game in Minnesota was "inconceivable", adding: "The game hasn't started, but I can't wait for it to end. Because it's not for enjoying, it's for suffering."

Not quite sure how you're allowed to stage a game in that. 

Do what you have to do to extend that home advantage as far as possible… especially after missing out in embarrassing fashion last time around.
  • Options
    I see that Berhalter (USA coach) responded to the Honduran criticism by pointing out that when his team travels down to Central America to play in 35 degree heat and 90% humidity, they are expected to just deal with the dehydration and heat exhaustion.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Three games left in CONCACAF qualifying and Canada are eight points clear of Panama in the play-off position. Two more points guarantees their place in the draw. Their fixtures are:

Costa Rica (A)
    Jamaica (H)
    Panama (A)

Not easy away games but you would fancy them at home against the Jamaicans.

USA and Mexico are the most likely to join the Canadians. They play each other in Mexico next, you would have to expect the Mexicans to win in their own backyard. Following that you have:

Honduras v Mexico
    USA v Panama

Mexico v El Salvador
    Costa Rica v USA

Mexico’s path looks cleaner while the USA can guarantee progress to the draw with a home win over Panama. Should be doable but any slip ups and it’ll be a tense battle on the last day of qualifying.

And don’t rule out Costa Rica who are only a point behind Panama themselves. They have home matches against Canada and the US & will fancy their chances of getting top four.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I see that Berhalter (USA coach) responded to the Honduran criticism by pointing out that when his team travels down to Central America to play in 35 degree heat and 90% humidity, they are expected to just deal with the dehydration and heat exhaustion.
    True, but I don’t think there are any alternatives for Honduras (small country, where I assume the climate is the same wherever you are), whereas the US could’ve played the game elsewhere. Minus 16 degrees is a bit extreme and it’s not a surprise. Minneapolis is one of the coldest cities in the US. New York is around 0 degrees as an example and needless to say that Florida or California would be a lot warmer. But I get it - why not make the most of the home advantage.
  • Options
    To be honest despite the result, i'm not convinced even the USA players would've wanted to play in those conditions. I doubt any footballer would.
  • Options
    Iran and South Korea have both qualified for the World Cup in recent weeks, no real surprise

Looks like Australia will have to go via. the Play-Offs

Huge game next against Japan at home (a win will take them above Japan on GD), yet they their last game is then away to Saudi Arabia who have all but qualified, whilst Japan play at home to Vietnam.
  • Options

Poland have told FIFA they will boycott the match with Russia.

Sweden have also said they would not play Russia (regardless of venue) should they beat Czech Republic.
    The Swedish FA have asked FIFA to take action and cancel matches involving Russia
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sweden have also said they would not play Russia (regardless of venue) should they beat Czech Republic.
    The Swedish FA have asked FIFA to take action and cancel matches involving Russia
    Surely Russia will have to be kicked out. They can't be rewarded by going to the world cup because other countries boycotted their qualifiers.
  • Options
    Russia should be kicked out as should any of their sides in European competitions. Eurovision have led the way by kicking them out of this years competition but once again the football authorities sit around twiddling their thumbs.
  • Options

Surely Russia will have to be kicked out. They can't be rewarded by going to the world cup because other countries boycotted their qualifiers.
    Absolutely. Scandalous, absolutely scandalous, that FIFA have not already acted. They should hang their head in shame. 

If it was up to me, I'd give Ukraine a free ticket to complete in the finals. 
  • Options
    Russia should be kicked out as should any of their sides in European competitions. Eurovision have led the way by kicking them out of this years competition but once again the football authorities sit around twiddling their thumbs.
    Bar them from everything in the sporting world. 
  • Options

Absolutely. Scandalous, absolutely scandalous, that FIFA have not already acted. They should hang their head in shame. 

If it was up to me, I'd give Ukraine a free ticket to complete in the finals. 
    The only reason I’d do that is because they’ve got Scotland 😂. You cant start rewarding teams for political reasons. Stick Palestine in the finals as well. Just no.
  • Options
    Gutless, immoral and corrupt. Some things don't change.
  • Options
    It just needs Germany England France to say they will not play against Russia or any other iteration of the Russian team and will also refuse to play against any team that does play them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
    I almost get where FIFA are coming from. 

I mean Nikita Mazepin is still allowed to drive for Haas in the Formula One, he just doesnt race under the Russian flag. Not to mention its doubtful that it'll happen because, the main Sponsor happens to be his Daddy, which they've now lost, so dont need to have him as a driver.

The only thing F1 has done, is its said that it won't visit the country.

The Russian Footballers, probably just want to play the game themselves, and dont want to get involved in the politics - If the games were in Russia, then it might be a different story, although I suspect they'd just be moved to a neutral venue (as per the Statement). 

Of course its in place as another sanction on Russia to force them to backdown over the Ukraine situation. But I'm sure this is probably one of the least things that'll bother the nutcase. 
  • Options

I mean Nikita Mazepin is still allowed to drive for Haas in the Formula One, he just doesnt race under the Russian flag. Not to mention its doubtful that it'll happen because, the main Sponsor happens to be his Daddy, which they've now lost, so dont need to have him as a driver.

The Russian Footballers, probably just want to play the game themselves, and dont want to get involved in the politics - If the games were in Russia, then it might be a different story, although I suspect they'd just be moved to a neutral venue (as per the Statement). 

Of course its in place as another sanction on Russia to force them to backdown over the Ukraine situation. But I'm sure this is probably one of the least things that'll bother the nutcase. 
    I don't think that's the right comparison to make though - if there was a Russian F1 team (sorry i don't know much about f1 maybe there is??) then I would be saying kick them out as well. 

The whole idea (i think) is to create tension between the people of Russia and Putin - take away their sport, financially sanction the Oligarchs - its all to destabilise them it's not about whether Putin personally would be bothered. 

Just my opinion though
    Yeah I suppose the easiest comparison to Mazepin, would be if Arsenal stopped playing Arshavin when he was with them.

I guess the one factor that FIFA seem to be forgetting, is that a lot of countries are banning Russian flights etc. so be curious to see how the players could get to the countries (involved in their Play-Off), especially if no visas were granted? 
  • Options

I don't think that's the right comparison to make though - if there was a Russian F1 team (sorry i don't know much about f1 maybe there is??) then I would be saying kick them out as well. 

The whole idea (i think) is to create tension between the people of Russia and Putin - take away their sport, financially sanction the Oligarchs - its all to destabilise them it's not about whether Putin personally would be bothered. 

Just my opinion though
    Yeah I suppose the easiest comparison to Mazepin, would be if Arsenal stopped playing Arshavin when he was with them.

I guess the one factor that FIFA seem to be forgetting, is that a lot of countries are banning Russian flights etc. so be curious to see how the players could get to the countries (involved in their Play-Off), especially if no visas were granted? 
    Yep spot on - just speaks to how poorly thought out the FIFA decision is - unless they are gonna play the games in China ??

Interested to know what Uefa's take on things are as well - we already know they have removed the CL final but what about Euros? qualifiers will not be far around the corner.
  • Options
    Nobody acceptable to the European countries will want to host a neutral match for Russia anyway
  • Options
    This is a mess but I guess it’s bigger than football. FIFA need to act quickly cos aren’t the play offs this month?
  • Options
    This is a mess but I guess it’s bigger than football. FIFA need to act quickly cos aren’t the play offs this month?
    This is FIFA we're talking about. They'll throw out Poland instead
  • Options
    And doubtless ban Ukrainian flags and other political displays.