Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    2-0 Canada..! Looks to have been a smart move from the Canadian FA to get this match played.
    Something akin to turning off the hot water in the away dressing room showers. 
  • Options
    Goal for Mexico in the 90th minute and there’s a scuffle in the net to get the ball back… nervy few minutes coming up for the home crowd.
  • Options
    Well, they survived, just. FT 2-1
  • Options
    Excellent couple of results for Canada. Now top of the CONCACAF group. 
  • Options
    Great win for Canada! Thrilling run we are on…
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Canada 1-0 up at HT and currently now top of the group.

USA drew 1-1 with Jamaica earlier, Michail Antonio got the Jamaica goal.
    Stunning strike.
  • Options
    Alphonso Davies is such a good player. Left back for Bayern but plays practically as a forward for Canada.

I hope they qualify as he's a player who deserves to play at a world cup.
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Great win for Canada! Thrilling run we are on…
    Feels great to be top of the group - still work to do against some tricky opponents but we're in a good spot!
  • Options
    Congratulations to Canada, great win! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Canada 1-0 up at HT and currently now top of the group.

USA drew 1-1 with Jamaica earlier, Michail Antonio got the Jamaica goal.
    Stunning strike.
    Amazing how his career has developed - a great goal.
  • Options
    Canada playing Mexico when it's -8 is the equivalent of England playing the West Indies in May, at Durham!
  • Options
    Great so far from Canada, hope they can finish the job as they should be qualifying with that squad now.

Its bloody tight at the top, they've got United States at home so get through that and they SHOULD manage to make it as then they're done facing both them and Mexico - Not bad so far considering they're the one side unbeaten.

They just need to stop drawing so many.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Argentina qualified for the World Cup last night... Unbeaten in 27-games now over 2-years

Second Round of Qualifying has been completed in Africa. Ten teams left... They'll be drawn against each other in a Home / Away style game with the five winners going to the World Cup

Algeria | Tunisia | Nigeria | Cameroon | Mali | Egypt | Ghana | Senegal | Morocco | Congo.

If I'm not mistaken... as things stand there wont be a team making their debut at the World Cup.

Unless there are a few shocks through the Play-Offs as Asian still have a couple of teams in contention, Europe have North Macedonia, and then anyone in Oceania not called New Zealand.

Edit: Yup I am mistaken... Mali haven't reached the World Cup before.
  • Options
    Argentina qualified for the World Cup last night... Unbeaten in 27-games now over 2-years

Second Round of Qualifying has been completed in Africa. Ten teams left... They'll be drawn against each other in a Home / Away style game with the five winners going to the World Cup

Algeria | Tunisia | Nigeria | Cameroon | Mali | Egypt | Ghana | Senegal | Morocco | Congo.

If I'm not mistaken... as things stand there wont be a team making their debut at the World Cup.

Unless there are a few shocks through the Play-Offs as Asian still have a couple of teams in contention, Europe have North Macedonia, and then anyone in Oceania not called New Zealand.

What about Qatar?
  • Options

What about Qatar?
    See... Knew I'd be mistaken regardless

Was looking through the teams still in Qualification at the time so they completely skipped my mind
  • Options

What about Qatar?
    They're boycotting the World Cup, due to the corruption behind its awarding and the gross human rights abuses in the construction of the stadiums...
  • Options
    European play off draw is this afternoon.

Seeded nations: Italy, Portugal, Sweden, Scotland, Russia, Wales

Unseeded nations: Turkey, Poland, Ukraine, North Macedonia, Austria, Czech Republic.

For political reasons, Russia cannot draw Ukraine.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Big result for CONCACAF. Whoever finishes 4th in qualifying (Canada, USA, Mexico, Panama) are likely facing a play-off against New Zealand.

AFC v CONMEBOL is looking like Japan / Australia v Colombia / Peru / Uruguay
  • Options
    Big result for CONCACAF. Whoever finishes 4th in qualifying (Canada, USA, Mexico, Panama) are likely facing a play-off against New Zealand.

AFC v CONMEBOL is looking like Japan / Australia v Colombia / Peru / Uruguay

Ironic as Australia left OFC because they got sick of always having to play-off vs a South American side to get to the World Cup.
  • Options
    For ease I dont know why they just dont have: CONCACAF v COMMEBOL | AFC v OFC

Could even take away a guaranteed spot from UEFA and have a UEFA v CAF Play-Off
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    The draw for Oceania Qualifying has finally been made with a mini-competition in March.

Neither American Samoa or Samoa have entered this time round sadly.

Instead Tonga will play Cook Islands in a one game Play-Off with the winners advancing to the Group Stages, where they'll play against: Solomon Islands | Tahiti | Vanuatu.

The other Group will consist of New Zealand | New Caledonia | Fiji | Papua New Guinea

Top two from each Group will advance to the Semi-Finals in a Knockout style competition.

The overall winners (New Zealand) will then of course face the fourth placed team from CONCACAF if they want to reach the World Cup itself, currently that will be against Panama next June.

And on that note... I'll grab me hat
  • Options
    Canada won 3-0 in El Salvador last night to remain undefeated and are still four points ahead of both Mexico (1-0 win over Panama), and the United States.

The latter beat Honduras 3-0 in Minnesota, yet players had to be subbed at HT simply because they couldn't endure the cold.

Canada will qualify for the World Cup should they win their next game, as they're now eight points ahead of Panama with three games left to play... Their next game is away at Costa Rica on 24th March, although after that they only have to face Jamaica and Panama, so if they dont qualify it really is their own fault now. 
  • Options
    Canada won 3-0 in El Salvador last night to remain undefeated and are still four points ahead of both Mexico (1-0 win over Panama), and the United States.

The latter beat Honduras 3-0 in Minnesota, yet players had to be subbed at HT simply because they couldn't endure the cold.

Canada will qualify for the World Cup should they win their next game, as they're now eight points ahead of Panama with three games left to play... Their next game is away at Costa Rica on 24th March, although after that they only have to face Jamaica and Panama, so if they dont qualify it really is their own fault now. 

Temperatures dropped to -16C.

As well as tights and gloves, some players wore balaclavas against the cold and Honduras said two players had to be taken off "due to the extreme weather".

Visiting coach Hernan Gomez made three half-time changes, two of which were said to be because of the freezing conditions. Before kick-off Gomez had said staging the game in Minnesota was "inconceivable", adding: "The game hasn't started, but I can't wait for it to end. Because it's not for enjoying, it's for suffering."

Not quite sure how you're allowed to stage a game in that. 

• Options
    Went into a bar here in Vancouver during the Canada El Salvador game. 3 people were watching the game. There really doesn't seem to be that much excitement.
  • Options
    Went into a bar here in Vancouver during the Canada El Salvador game. 3 people were watching the game. There really doesn't seem to be that much excitement.
    Be different for the actual finals though surely. Although with the time difference most of the games will be early morning