Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• I’m not a fan of the FIFA decision to give Poland a bye, even with my supporting ties to them, should be playing Slovakia. 

Very excited for the 3rd path of UEFA qualifying, one of the last 2 EURO winners will not make the World Cup, great drama 
  • edited March 2022
    It may have gone unnoticed but there were a couple of games in the Oceanic qualifying group tonight. Papua New Guinea v New Caledonia (finished 1-0) and New Zealand v Fiji (finished 4-0).
  • It may have gone unnoticed but there were a couple of games in the Oceanic qualifying group tonight. Papua New Guinea v New Caledonia (finished 1-0) and New Zealand v Fiji (finished 4-0).
    Win puts New Zealand through to the Semi-Finals of their Group as have already beaten Papua New Guinea 1-0 - Fiji vs Papua New Guinea is the big one, as the winners join New Zealand in the next round.

The other Group is an absolute mess due to COVID ... Four of the Six Group games have been cancelled, Solomon Islands vs Tahiti is the second and last game.

Tahiti only need to avoid losing 3-0 and they'll go through with the Solomon Islands - Otherwise who knows what'll happen, as Cook Islands will get second, but they're one of the sides with a COVID outbreak. 
  • Oceania is in chaos, at least in one of the two groups. After delaying qualification so long due to Covid, two of the competing nations have been forced to withdraw after their squads caught Covid.

Vanuatu reported that most of their squad tested positive in the tests done before their first game, then Cook islands had to withdraw from their second. New Zealand looking comfortable in the other group, they will play the winner of Tahiti vs Solomon Islands for the place in the global playoff.
  • Oceania is in chaos, at least in one of the two groups. After delaying qualification so long due to Covid, two of the competing nations have been forced to withdraw after their squads caught Covid.

Vanuatu reported that most of their squad tested positive in the tests done before their first game, then Cook islands had to withdraw from their second. New Zealand looking comfortable in the other group, they will play the winner of Tahiti vs Solomon Islands for the place in the global playoff.

I believe NZ will need to play a semifinal first, right? (either Solomon Islands or Tahiti)
    And then a final on 30th March, where the winner will go to the playoff vs. number 4 in Concacaf for a spot at the WC 2022.
  • Danepak said:
    Oceania is in chaos, at least in one of the two groups. After delaying qualification so long due to Covid, two of the competing nations have been forced to withdraw after their squads caught Covid.

I believe NZ will need to play a semifinal first, right? (either Solomon Islands or Tahiti)
    And then a final on 30th March, where the winner will go to the playoff vs. number 4 in Concacaf for a spot at the WC 2022.
    Yes, you're right, I'd missed a round. NZ play the loser of Solomon Islands v Tahiti in a semi, with the winner of that game playing the winner of Fiji v PNG in the other semi. Final round of group games on Thursday, semis on Sunday, final next Wednesday. Or alternatively, whichever squad manages to avoid getting Covid gets the place in the global playoff.
  • Danepak said:
    Oceania is in chaos, at least in one of the two groups. After delaying qualification so long due to Covid, two of the competing nations have been forced to withdraw after their squads caught Covid.

Yes, you're right, I'd missed a round. NZ play the loser of Solomon Islands v Tahiti in a semi, with the winner of that game playing the winner of Fiji v PNG in the other semi. Final round of group games on Thursday, semis on Sunday, final next Wednesday. Or alternatively, whichever squad manages to avoid getting Covid gets the place in the global playoff.
    If as expected NZ win this tournament - do they want to play Panama or Costa Rica? Who would they have a better chance again?
  • Danepak said:
    Danepak said:

If as expected NZ win this tournament - do they want to play Panama or Costa Rica? Who would they have a better chance again?
    Costa Rica aren't as strong as they once were but you'd pick Panama 100% of the time I think.

- Costa Rica world ranking 42.
    - Panama world ranking 63.
    - New Zealand world ranking 111.
  • Danepak said:
    Danepak said:

Costa Rica aren't as strong as they once were but you'd pick Panama 100% of the time I think.

Would you put your hat on that? 
  • Sponsored links:

• That said, Panama do have a marginally better home record in qualifying than Costa Rica.

Panama - 3 wins, 2 draws (still to play Canada & Honduras)
    Costa Rica - 3 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss (still to play USA & Canada)

Panama home results:

1-0 win vs USA
    1-1 draw vs Mexico
    0-0 draw vs Costa Rica
    2-1 win vs El Salvador
    3-2 win vs Jamaica

Costa Rica home results:

0-1 loss vs Mexico
    1-0 win vs Panama
    2-1 win vs El Salvador
    1-1 draw vs Jamaica
    2-1 win vs Honduras
  • It’s a one-off game in Qatar though, so home record not of importance.
  • Danepak said:
    Danepak said:

Would you put your hat on that? 

• Danepak said:
    It’s a one-off game in Qatar though, so home record not of importance.
    Its been bizarre to have the OFC Qualifying Tournament in Qatar as well

Although I imagine it cant have been held in New Zealand what with their strict COVID regulations?
  • Danepak said:

Although I imagine it cant have been held in New Zealand what with their strict COVID regulations?
    We’ve just eased it as of today. No outdoor gathering restrictions.
  • Danepak said:

All these qualifiers are not allowing spectators either unfortunately.
  • edited March 2022
    Danepak said:

All these qualifiers are not allowing spectators either unfortunately.
    Can't imagine there's much interest in Qatar to go and watch the likes of Fiji v Papa new guinea anyway!

Out of interest, what kind of attendances do Qatari league matches get?
  • There was some interest in the NZ matches.
    Attendances depend on the team, there are 3 maybe 4 'big' clubs here that can get up to 10k a couple of times a season, but in general the numbers are fairly low for the league,  Cup finals are usually full though. Too many Barca, ManU supporters here and everything is shown live on tv.
  • edited March 2022
    Japan have just qualified after beating Australia 2-0 away from home.. Their substitute came on and scored 2 goals in the last few minutes. 

It also confirms Saudi Arabia’s qualification 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2022
    Australia are heading via. the Play-Off route again then

Which'll probably end up being the United Arab Emirates, as they'll basically secure their spot if they beat Iraq today

The problem is the fact they'll then have to play the fifth placed team from South America

Which is currently Peru, but could yet be one of six teams

Going to be funny if New Zealand go to the World Cup, and Australia dont.
  • There was some interest in the NZ matches.
    Attendances depend on the team, there are 3 maybe 4 'big' clubs here that can get up to 10k a couple of times a season, but in general the numbers are fairly low for the league,  Cup finals are usually full though. Too many Barca, ManU supporters here and everything is shown live on tv.
    Besides Qatar, do you expect Saudi Arabia to have a big turnout in numbers at the tournament? I know it’s a neighbouring country but wasn’t too sure if there was much following for the international side in the region at all.
  • edited March 2022
    Lebanon lost to Syria, so desperately need Iraq to beat United Arab Emirates to avoid elimination; Syria were already out

Solomon Islands have beaten Tahiti 3-1 - So it looks like Tahiti will face New Zealand in the Semi-Finals, whilst the winners of Papua New Guinea vs Fiji will face the Solomon Islands - Of course that could all yet change, as New Zealand havent mathematically won their Group.

But c'mon, they really have done.

Strangely, the Solomon Islands could possibly prove harder opposition for New Zealand (if they face off in the Final) than we realise. The last two times they've faced each other in the Nations Cup; New Zealand have only won by a single goal, one of those games they won 4-3
  • cafctom said:
    There was some interest in the NZ matches.
    Besides Qatar, do you expect Saudi Arabia to have a big turnout in numbers at the tournament? I know it’s a neighbouring country but wasn’t too sure if there was much following for the international side in the region at all.
    Not sure there's much love lost between Saudi and Qatar.
  • iaitch said:
    cafctom said:
    There was some interest in the NZ matches.
    Not sure there's much love lost between Saudi and Qatar.
    Qatar aren't close with the UAE either.
  • Come on Austria.
    I notice sky sports seem to be showing the game so that’s bound to subscription only but S4C has the game as well and that seems to be a free to air channel which has the added bonus of everybody talking in Welsh so the likelihood of getting wound up by inane comments by numpty pundits is going to be pretty low.
  • Come on Austria.
    I notice sky sports seem to be showing the game so that’s bound to subscription only but S4C has the game as well and that seems to be a free to air channel which has the added bonus of everybody talking in Welsh so the likelihood of getting wound up by inane comments by numpty pundits is going to be pretty low.
    I don't care about the commentary. I want Wales to lose. I have no more affinity to Wales than I do to Austria. Most importantly we don't have complete lazy wasters of Austrians in the Charlton team.
  • edited March 2022
    I want Wales to win but I won't be devestated if they don't. Much like Gunter's attitude with Charlton I suspect. With such high stakes, I am looking forward to the game.
  • edited March 2022
    New Zealand beat New Caledonia 7-1 in their WCQ group match tonight. Believe it or not it was actually 1-1 for a short while.

Don’t know why they bother tbh. It’s like England being asked to qualify from a group containing only San Marino, Liechtenstein and Andorra.