Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2022 World Cup qualifiers thread

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Confirmed play-off seeds:

- Portugal
    - Italy
    - Scotland
    - Russia

Confirmed play-off unseeded:

- North Macedonia
    - Austria

Confirmed play-offs (seed TBD):

- Sweden
    - Poland
    - Wales
    - Czech Republic

Potential play-off teams (to be decided tomorrow):

- Turkey OR Norway OR Netherlands
    - Finland OR Ukraine
  • Options
    These twelve teams will be drawn into groups of four (two seeded, two unseeded) to each play for one qualification place in a semi-final -> final format.

For example for one qualifying place you could have:

Scotland OR Austria vs Portugal OR North Macedonia 
  • Options
    These twelve teams will be drawn into groups of four (two seeded, two unseeded) to each play for one qualification place in a semi-final -> final format.

Am sure Italy and Portugal will be kept apart as well ;)
  • Options

I fully expect Italy, Portugal and Sweden to be at least two out of the three teams to make it through the play-off round. All three of them if they are kept apart.
  • Options
    Italy not qualifying automatically just makes it more annoying how we lost to then in the summer
    Still guts me
  • Options
    The playoffs, is it right only 4 teams qualify from 12?
    3 from 12.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    I wouldn’t expect anything from Sweden, they lost 2-0 to Georgia 
  • Options
    Billy Gilmour was great for Scotland again tonight, how the hell he hasn't been getting a kick for Norwich amazes me
  • Options

I fully expect Italy, Portugal and Sweden to be at least two out of the three teams to make it through the play-off round. All three of them if they are kept apart.
    Could still have Netherlands in there too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Could still have Netherlands in there too.
    Pretty impossible really

Turkey would need to win 14-0 and Netherlands would have to draw with Norway

If Turkey and Norway win on the other hand, Netherlands miss out on another World Cup
  • Options
    I think Netherlands could end up in the playoffs if they lose to Norway and Turkey fail to beat Montenegro. Not a particularly likely scenario, but not at all impossible.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    I think Netherlands could end up in the playoffs if they lose to Norway and Turkey fail to beat Montenegro. Not a particularly likely scenario, but not at all impossible.
    Cheers, didnt think of that scenario as had Turkey down for certain winners against Montenegro

Really dont get how Turkey are so good in Qualifying, they were mega shit at the Euros
  • Options
    Billy Gilmour was great for Scotland again tonight, how the hell he hasn't been getting a kick for Norwich amazes me
    Hopefully Chelsea can recall him in January and send him somewhere else.
  • Options
    Great wins for both Canada and the US. Still a long way to go in qualifying but you’d have to fancy they both have excellent chances at qualifying now.
    USA and Mexico will probably be the top 2, so Canada have to beat Panama to get 3rd and qualify.

If they finish 4th they go into a play off, which is ok if they draw a side from Oceania or Asia, but if it's the team from South America i don't think they'd win.
    Canada are at home to Mexico on Tuesday and there’s a strong chance of snow by then (we’re already several weeks late in the year for there to be none on the ground yet). Mexico, I would imagine, are a bit better than Canada but the cold will level things up a bit. Canada were better than I expected last night. They played some really nice stuff last night, albeit against weak opponents, but tried to walk it in at times. They have a very decent chance of qualifying but I agree any South American side would start as strong favourites against them. 
    I was there on Friday too Exiled! they're predicting snow and -11c for Tuesday night. Not sure how Mexico will enjoy that ha ha!
  • Options
    Terrible loan all round, Chelsea must be annoyed he's probably played less than he would have of he stayed and Farke can't have rated him.

Maybe Dean Smith will.

Gilmour and McGinn seem to have a really good partnership going.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Guaranteed Pot 1 in WC 2022: Qatar, Belgium, Brazil, France, England, Spain.

Could still join them: two of Argentina, Italy, Portugal, Mexico, Denmark

Guaranteed Pot 2: Germany, Switzerland, Croatia.
  • Options
    One group is going to be so much softer for having Qatar over any of the other 7.

Imagine being in Pot 4, thinking you've got no chance and getting Qatar, USA, and someone like Sweden.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would be good if a couple of those nations can miss out. Do not like the look of Uruguay and Colombia being in pot 3.
  • Options
    Would be good if a couple of those nations can miss out. Do not like the look of Uruguay and Colombia being in pot 3.
    Especially if we pick Germany from pot two
  • Options
    They’re both toilet. South American football is shocking. Outside of 3/4 possible European nations, there is nothing to fear.
  • Options
    I'm not at all worried about our WC draw, teams will want to avoid us, not us worrying about who's in pot 3!
  • Options
    It has cheered me up that Italy and Portugal have ended up in the playoffs.
  • Options
    They’re both toilet. South American football is shocking. Outside of 3/4 possible European nations, there is nothing to fear.
    Uruguay knocked us out in 2014 and Colombia came within a whisker in 2018. They're not 'toilet' and South American qualifying is the most tough and competitive around. Brazil and Argentina are looking pretty strong again too. We should have enough to beat the lot of them but you can't go writing off strong footballing nations. 
  • Options
    Terrible loan all round, Chelsea must be annoyed he's probably played less than he would have of he stayed and Farke can't have rated him.

Maybe Dean Smith will.

Gilmour and McGinn seem to have a really good partnership going.
    yeah I'd imagine they will be speaking to Smith/watching if/how Gilmour plays and potentially calling him back in January regardless.

can see Gerard trying to get him to Villa in Jan 
  • Options
    Guaranteed Pot 1 in WC 2022: Qatar, Belgium, Brazil, France, England, Spain.

Could still join them: two of Argentina, Italy, Portugal, Mexico, Denmark

Guaranteed Pot 2: Germany, Switzerland, Croatia.
    No doubt we will get Germany/ Croatia, Germany are a completely different team now following the shambles at the Euros so could be a tricky draw, although on the face of it we shouldn't fear anyone. 
  • Options
    Uruguay knocked us out in 2014 and Colombia came within a whisker in 2018. They're not 'toilet' and South American qualifying is the most tough and competitive around. Brazil and Argentina are looking pretty strong again too. We should have enough to beat the lot of them but you can't go writing off strong footballing nations. 
    That was 7 years ago, we'd beat them now. 

As things stand Uruguay won't even qualify anyway, they're currently 6th in a 10 team group.
  • Options
    Assuming the rules for setting up the groups are similar to previous world cups, I guess there's likely to be a rule that no more than 2 European countries go in one group, and no two from any other confederation? If so, given how many European countries look like being in pot 2, it's quite likely we'll get a European opponent from that pot and therefore not get a European from a lower pot? Just thinking here about where Scotland or Wales may end up in the event either of them makes it through the playoffs.