Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wrestling thread

Comments

• Options
    Signed a 3 year deal in Jan 19, so would be done Jan 22. Last year in a contract maybe he's putting some feelers out. 
  • Options
    Have been watching the dark side of the ring. New Jack is an absolute fruit loop, how he managed to stay out of prison I don't know. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Talal said:
    Have been watching the dark side of the ring. New Jack is an absolute fruit loop, how he managed to stay out of prison I don't know. 
    Some indie mud show guy issued a challenge to any fan of Jim Cornett new Jack tried to take him up and he pissed his pants and ran off.

New Jack does have issues as Mass Transit and Vic Grimes might agree. 
  • Options
    Hall of fame tonight, NXT Takeover tomorrow.  Wrestlemania week is here!!
  • Options
    Changing the subject, but I caught the Mickey Rourke film The Wrestler last night... thought.it was superb. Recommend it
  • Options
    Anyone else find the Hall of Fame a bit ridiculous nowadays?

Molly Holly....She was OK in her time. But ‘hall of fame’ worthy?

And I’ve absolutely no idea why Ozzy Osborne is getting inducted 😂
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I know, it's like the CAFC one in a few years where we get to induct that pitch announcer from the Dowie season who used to yell "FIVE... MORE... MINUTES!!!"
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Molly Holly was great, but she is also getting inducted for the effect she has had on the current women’s division. If you hear them talk almost all of them were inspired by Molly Holly. She always took it seriously and took some serious bumps in a time when most of the women were just used as eye candy or toilet break matches. It was her idea to have a title vs hair match because she wanted people to pay attention to her Wrestlemania match. If not for her you might not have the quality women’s wrestlers today so it seems pretty well earned. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Molly Holly was great, but she is also getting inducted for the effect she has had on the current women’s division. If you hear them talk almost all of them were inspired by Molly Holly. She always took it seriously and took some serious bumps in a time when most of the women were just used as eye candy or toilet break matches. It was her idea to have a title vs hair match because she wanted people to pay attention to her Wrestlemania match. If not for her you might not have the quality women’s wrestlers today so it seems pretty well earned. 
    Exactly this. She deserves to be in the Hall of Fame IMO

I don't think the Women's title was even supposed to be defended at that mania until she told them she was willing to have her head shaved for there to be a women's match at the show.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Point taken that she made a statement with that action she took in that instance.

I still think its bit of a stretch to suggest that single moment was enough to completely change the course of the Women's Division though. 

All the women's wrestlers talk about how inspired they were by anyone that goes into the Hall of Fame. They were saying the same about Beth Phoenix a few years ago, who was just another OK-ish competitor. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

Point taken that she made a statement with that action she took in that instance.

I still think its bit of a stretch to suggest that single moment was enough to completely change the course of the Women's Division though. 

All the women's wrestlers talk about how inspired they were by anyone that goes into the Hall of Fame. They were saying the same about Beth Phoenix a few years ago, who was just another OK-ish competitor. 
    The Wrestlemania thing was just an example of her impact, I wasn't saying that that moment on its own affected the current division, it was her whole time in WWE that the current crop found inspirational. This isn't just since her HoF induction either, Sasha Banks listed Molly Holly as her favourite wrestler a long time ago, and Bayley has been fangirling about her for years. Molly was delivering (or trying to where allowed) proper wrestling at a time when WWE was more interested in pushing the women in cat fights or trying to get them into Playboy. I think part of the reason she left was because WWE started pushing more into the fitness model territory and hiring fewer actual wrestlers. A lot of the current roster were big wrestling fans growing up and if all they ever saw was Torrie Wilson and Stacy Keibler clawing at each other there wouldn't have been much for them to want to emulate, Molly is very significant in that. I think Beth Phoenix was a little more than ok-ish as well. She was a great wrestler, and she was pretty essential in an era when the division was mostly jank and used horribly. Phoenix won her first title after we'd had to sit through half a year of Melina and Candice Michelle as champions, that's HoF worthy in itself as far as I'm concerned!
  • Options
    Garrymanilow said:
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:

The Wrestlemania thing was just an example of her impact, I wasn't saying that that moment on its own affected the current division, it was her whole time in WWE that the current crop found inspirational. This isn't just since her HoF induction either, Sasha Banks listed Molly Holly as her favourite wrestler a long time ago, and Bayley has been fangirling about her for years. Molly was delivering (or trying to where allowed) proper wrestling at a time when WWE was more interested in pushing the women in cat fights or trying to get them into Playboy. I think part of the reason she left was because WWE started pushing more into the fitness model territory and hiring fewer actual wrestlers. A lot of the current roster were big wrestling fans growing up and if all they ever saw was Torrie Wilson and Stacy Keibler clawing at each other there wouldn't have been much for them to want to emulate, Molly is very significant in that. I think Beth Phoenix was a little more than ok-ish as well. She was a great wrestler, and she was pretty essential in an era when the division was mostly jank and used horribly. Phoenix won her first title after we'd had to sit through half a year of Melina and Candice Michelle as champions, that's HoF worthy in itself as far as I'm concerned!
    In a business where being selfish is often rewarded, Molly always went out of her way to help people improve in the ring and wasn't afraid to put someone over or make herself look silly. She even paid for Beth Phoenix' training so she could become a wrestler. 

As you said, many women's wrestlers have named her as an inspiration way before her HoF induction. She more than deserves her place for making the women's division mean something when it was treated like a joke most of the time. 

I agree that the HoF has quite a few people who don't deserve to be in it, but I don't believe Molly is one of them. 
  • Options
    Hall Of Fame in the thunderdome was pretty silly.

It's an awful HOF but great to see Jushin and Bischoff inducted.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I don't think it's just "nowadays" that it's ridiculous. Koko B Ware was inducted over a decade ago and Drew Carey is in there too. 
  • Options
    Trump is in it ffs
  • Options
    Just as an aside, I love the amount of times they got the word "high" into RVD's intro and montage
  • Options
    Mr. Happy said:
    cafctom said:

I don't think it's just "nowadays" that it's ridiculous. Koko B Ware was inducted over a decade ago and Drew Carey is in there too. 
    If it was a wrestling Hall of Fame Koko Ware should be in.  The bird man and jobber to the stars shouldn't.  Another year rolls by without the midnight express going in.  Obvious why but even so. 

Re Molly Holly when JR was VP of talent relations they had some proper women wrestlers like Molly, Trish, Jackie and Lita.  Then that clown John Laurinaitis took over and started recruiting through swim wear catalogues, some of the "talent" he sent to OVW couldn't even hit the ropes. 

Guess who is back as head of talent relations? 

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Look a poor card this years Mania, was always going to be the case without the extra income of ticket sales etc. The two main events look good for the titles. Really interested in the triple threat and Drew v Lashley.

Rest of the card feels like just a typical B list PPV. 
  • Options
    Look a poor card this years Mania, was always going to be the case without the extra income of ticket sales etc. The two main events look good for the titles. Really interested in the triple threat and Drew v Lashley.

Rest of the card feels like just a typical B list PPV. 
    That's what happens when you hot shot your TV.  God knows how you put the genie back in the bottle. 

Vince didn't make his billions by giving away Hogan Andre on free TV.  Even when he did it was to sell the rematch at Mania 4.

TV used to sell the live events and PPVs now it is the product.  The product is much worse as a result. 

• Options
    The plan for the triple threat title match seems so obvious to me that I hope they do something different than I'm expecting
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My excitement for Wrestlemania is about 10% of what it would have been even just 2-3 years ago.

Nobody is tuning in to see Apollo Crews, Sheamus, Riddle etc. 

Drew McIntyre vs Lashley for the WWE title is the sort of thing I’d find bland for a B-level PPV, let alone the biggest show of the year.

Watched highlights of Wrestlemania 32 last night, which had a card decimated by injuries but at least they were able to put together matches like Ambrose vs Lesnar, and Styles v Jericho that felt big going into them.
  • Options
    The end of JBL’s speech got me good! Wow! 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    My excitement for Wrestlemania is about 10% of what it would have been even just 2-3 years ago.

Drew McIntyre vs Lashley for the WWE title is the sort of thing I’d find bland for a B-level PPV, let alone the biggest show of the year.

Watched highlights of Wrestlemania 32 last night, which had a card decimated by injuries but at least they were able to put together matches like Ambrose vs Lesnar, and Styles v Jericho that felt big going into them.
    I don't think I have watched a mania for 10 years, in full.  I have got the 1st 28 on DVD, or had I have lost a few discs over the years.

Even then they seemed to rely on the old boys for star power.  HBK, HHH, Cena, Taker etc. 

Have the WWE actually made a single "star" since OVW shut?   Was Reigns really actually "over"?  Or did they just push him to the moon.  For me he is probably more intresting now than he ever has been.

I'll keep an eye out for JBLs speach, The brains HoF speach is still the GOAT though :-) 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

I don't think I have watched a mania for 10 years, in full.  I have got the 1st 28 on DVD, or had I have lost a few discs over the years.

Even then they seemed to rely on the old boys for star power.  HBK, HHH, Cena, Taker etc. 

Have the WWE actually made a single "star" since OVW shut?   Was Reigns really actually "over"?  Or did they just push him to the moon.  For me he is probably more intresting now than he ever has been.

I'll keep an eye out for JBLs speach, The brains HoF speach is still the GOAT though :-) 
    Frustratingly they’ve had a lot of talented people on their books over recent years but seemingly want to do everything possible to stop them becoming as big as they could be.

Roman Reigns could have been this good about 5 years ago if Vince hadn’t been so stubborn to insist that he had to be a face, even though it just wasn’t working.

The product has become so sanitised and predictable that if you were to miss a month of programming you probably wouldn’t miss anything of note whatsoever.

It’s the very reason why an alternative like AEW (or NXT) has such an appeal.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

They've made quite a few in NXT, especially the women if you credit the men to the indies.

I think Reigns would be getting some serious heat if they had a crowd. He would have been my wrestler of the year last year.

Rollins v Cesaro is my pick for match of the night if they give them enough time. 'Manias have been pretty shit for the past few years in fairness. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cafctom said:

Frustratingly they’ve had a lot of talented people on their books over recent years but seemingly want to do everything possible to stop them becoming as big as they could be.

Roman Reigns could have been this good about 5 years ago if Vince hadn’t been so stubborn to insist that he had to be a face, even though it just wasn’t working.

The product has become so sanitised and predictable that if you were to miss a month of programming you probably wouldn’t miss anything of note whatsoever.

It’s the very reason why an alternative like AEW (or NXT) has such an appeal.
    The talent (as in athletic ability) is undeniable.  Bruce knows how to get people over, Hunter knows how to get people over.  Vince got the Ultimate Warrior over ffs.  At least with Cena he got over, then got stale, Roman never got over. 

Yes the Rock, Austin, Foley etc did some really goofy, phony shit, but AFTER they got over.  The peoples elbow, Mr Socko and Austin missing all the kicks when stomping a mud hole were awful.  The people doing it were so over no one cared.

There is no one over like that now.  People like Foley and Regal wouldn't even get through developmental now. 
  • Options
    The two that I think they really missed a trick with were Dean Ambrose and Finn Balor.

Ambrose had that edge not too dissimilar to a Steve Austin. Listening to him talking about why the Lesnar match failed to deliver was pretty heartbreaking really. He was prepared to be beaten within an inch of his life that night to try and get over, and nobody in the back cared to make it happen to get him over. 

Finn Balor on the other hand had a gimmick (the demon) which had real appeal to it that all types of fans could have got on board with - the smart fans in NXT, kids, women etc. 
  • Options
    I would say that the one star they did a good job in elevating (albeit unexpectedly) was Becky Lynch.

She went from being a mid-carder going through the motions to main-evening Wrestlemania in the space of eight months. 
  • Options
    Brawn Strowman is a face who could have been big five years ago, but they fluffed it.