Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

39 days until pub gardens reopen

Comments

• I hope some pubs/ bars keep the waiter service. We must be the only country in Europe where we don’t have it as standard.
  • SamB09 said:
    I hope some pubs/ bars keep the waiter service. We must be the only country in Europe where we don’t have it as standard.
    My pub only serves drinks to the table (unless sat on one of my 3 bar stools!) always has & always will, but for some of the younger bars the bustling busy atmosphere in them with people stood elbow to elbow is part of the attraction.
  • I haven't been to a pub since lockdown 1. In fact I think the last time I had a drink in the 'outside world' was at the end of Feb 20. I didn't go when they were open later in 2020 because I just didn't feel safe. Actually I haven't had a take away for the same time and reason. So.... now I've had my first jab (about 3 weeks ago) how safe will it be?
    (I've not stopped drinking during this phase - far from it - just from the comfort of my woman shed)
    We were sticking to drinking in pub gardens, you only need to go inside for the toilet so wasn't concerned at all.
    23 days ......
  • SamB09 said:
    I hope some pubs/ bars keep the waiter service. We must be the only country in Europe where we don’t have it as standard.
    for me that was one of the worst parts to the pubs last summer. Trying to get the attention of a server, then waiting an age to get your drink, then never knowing whether you should give a tip. 

I know waiting at a busy bar can be a trial but most bars aren't that busy so i would rather be able to order and receive a pint from the bar than have table service. 
    But in a good bar the server would have asked you if you wanted another just before you realised you did 
    true. and the amount of times that has got me in trouble. 

the other thing i used to do being mainly an ale drinker and a true anorak in pubs is to taste and look at the beer pump badge. cant do that with all this waiter service. I mean you can but its a pain for them and for you. 
  • SamB09 said:
    for me that was one of the worst parts to the pubs last summer. Trying to get the attention of a server, then waiting an age to get your drink, then never knowing whether you should give a tip. 

I know waiting at a busy bar can be a trial but most bars aren't that busy so i would rather be able to order and receive a pint from the bar than have table service. 
    Oh yea thats true it has to be done right. Suppose like anything some places are better than others.
  • Sponsored links:

• SamB09 said:

But in a good bar the server would have asked you if you wanted another just before you realised you did 
    true. and the amount of times that has got me in trouble. 

the other thing i used to do being mainly an ale drinker and a true anorak in pubs is to taste and look at the beer pump badge. cant do that with all this waiter service. I mean you can but its a pain for them and for you. 
    Since they changed the measures pubs can serve different drinks in drinks in a testing rack of ales has become popular & is a good move all round , £2 & a little wooden rack is brought over with maybe 3-4 ales for you to try in 1/3 pint glasses with tasting notes so great for you and great for us when tight Pete asks to try them all for free then the first two again then just one more snifter of the forth one before settling which he’ll have a half of!
  • JamesSeed said:
    In the last few weeks I’ve literally started dreaming of going into pubs. On my daily long walk when I see a pub that looks decent I take a snap of it, especially if it looks ok inside. Me and a couple of friends (and the missus) are planning to walk to them on rotation for a drink, post lockdown.
    There’s something about not being able to go to them that has made me really want to go to them. And tbh I’ve tended to go to bars rather than pubs in the last twenty years, but I think that’s about to change. There are literally dozens of crackers on my list, all within two or three miles of my house. None of them are chains, and I’ll be happy to support them, even if it means coughing up for a ridiculously over-priced pint sometimes. So many pubs have closed in the last twenty years, so I think it’s time I supported the ones that have managed to survived by the skin of their teeth. It’s something to look forward to at least! Some have gardens, the others will have to wait a little longer. 

thats had a make over. actually looks like a proper pub. 

Before it looked like a posh west london delicatessen. 

The Surprise Pub London  Chelsea Pub Reviews  DesignMyNight
    Good detective work! They’ve cleverly made it look authentic. It’s put me off slightly. It’s still on the list though!
  • What a spot!
  • In at 30 (days) 2 pints of lager and a packet of crisps please.
    https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=YjgO_yB9K8s&list=RDAMVMYjgO_yB9K8s

This lot support Bad Manners, I had to endure this noise in Chatham around 10 years ago when I went to a gig down there.
  • se9addick said:
    I haven't been to a pub since lockdown 1. In fact I think the last time I had a drink in the 'outside world' was at the end of Feb 20. I didn't go when they were open later in 2020 because I just didn't feel safe. Actually I haven't had a take away for the same time and reason. So.... now I've had my first jab (about 3 weeks ago) how safe will it be?
    (I've not stopped drinking during this phase - far from it - just from the comfort of my woman shed)
    Honestly, it’s not really the same as it was before. I’ve been going to the pub when they’ve been open (and already have about 10 bookings for the first two weeks of April!) but having to book a table before, limited capacity, ordering in an App instead of at the bar, remembering to put your face mask on if you want to go to the toilet all sucks a bit of the life out of it. 

That being said, it’s significantly better than the pubs not being open and I can wait, after June the population should be vaccinated to an extent that most restrictions should be lifted. 

How is the experience in a boozer?  One of my mates is in a pub 5 days a week(pre COVID of course) and gave up as he did not enjoy how it was.
    For somebody like this who turns his back on the pub I fear for the future of boozers, I do not think people are going to rush back into them.
  • se9addick said:
    I haven't been to a pub since lockdown 1. In fact I think the last time I had a drink in the 'outside world' was at the end of Feb 20. I didn't go when they were open later in 2020 because I just didn't feel safe. Actually I haven't had a take away for the same time and reason. So.... now I've had my first jab (about 3 weeks ago) how safe will it be?
    Honestly, it’s not really the same as it was before. I’ve been going to the pub when they’ve been open (and already have about 10 bookings for the first two weeks of April!) but having to book a table before, limited capacity, ordering in an App instead of at the bar, remembering to put your face mask on if you want to go to the toilet all sucks a bit of the life out of it. 

That being said, it’s significantly better than the pubs not being open and I can wait, after June the population should be vaccinated to an extent that most restrictions should be lifted. 

How is the experience in a boozer?  One of my mates is in a pub 5 days a week(pre COVID of course) and gave up as he did not enjoy how it was.
    For somebody like this who turns his back on the pub I fear for the future of boozers, I do not think people are going to rush back into them.
    The government need to do something about beer duty as well business rates. When I was young if you wanted a drink you went to the pub. Now youngsters think £4 in a pub or £1 from Sainsbury. Not very social but cheaper to be a sad git drinking at home
  • Bloody hell, I've been logging on every day for the last 3 weeks, only to find it's still 39 days. If this is not accurate, I demand that the author of this thread logs on every morning and updates the title...............
  • Bloody hell, I've been logging on every day for the last 3 weeks, only to find it's still 39 days. If this is not accurate, I demand that the author of this thread logs on every morning and updates the title...............
    This is disgusting TS needs to make a public apology 
    I would if I could, but it's only editable by the mods after a certain time period.
    All the twos 22.
    Yes 22 days to go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't wait for a change of scenery. 
  • New rules to help pubs, cafes and restaurants reopen outdoors safely in England on 12 April have sparked anger from industry groups.

All customers will have to sign in on entry, not just one member of the group like before. It is also unclear whether payment at the bar will be permitted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56608632

• 11 days to go.
    Announce the pubs.
    PS The Royal Oak is looking good, they were painting the outside today.
  • Macronate said:

Booked an afternoon slot at the Kings Arms, Bexleyheath terrace for 14th April.

Please let the weather be kind.

I know the landlord Pete. Really top bloke and he’s done wonders with that pub. The food in there is great as well.
    we did their 'big night in' quiz, was really good + we've also booked a couple of slots in there when it's open again

I see the Rose in Bexleyheath is up for sale for £950k - shame, hope it stays as a pub as always liked it in there, they used to sponsor my Sunday side
  • edited April 2021
    clive said:

New rules to help pubs, cafes and restaurants reopen outdoors safely in England on 12 April have sparked anger from industry groups.

All customers will have to sign in on entry, not just one member of the group like before. It is also unclear whether payment at the bar will be permitted.

Bloody hell, you've got to sign in, that will take at least 10 seconds maybe 20.
    I'm outraged and I think I'd prefer to wait even if it takes another few years.
  • clive said:

New rules to help pubs, cafes and restaurants reopen outdoors safely in England on 12 April have sparked anger from industry groups.

This bit got me:

"It is also unclear whether payment at the bar will be permitted".

Less than 2 weeks to go & I imagine That's a really important bit of information that makes a huge difference to staff costs & potential revenue for pubs

• edited April 2021
    Why will payment at the bar be permitted when you’re not allowed in the pub? Well hopefully to use the loo. I don’t care where we pay as long as we can get in a garden and a fresh pint. 
  • Curb_It said:
    Why will payment at the bar be permitted when you’re not allowed in the pub? Well hopefully to use the loo. I don’t care where we pay as long as we can get in a garden and a fresh pint. 
    Pay when ordering on the app. Got to hand it to Spoons, they know how to get their stuff to the customer.
  • Redrobo said:
    Curb_It said:
    Pay when ordering on the app. Got to hand it to Spoons, they know how to get their stuff to the customer.
    A few of the pubs have introduced that feature here in Oz post COVID - it’s absolutely class.

As others have said pubs need to go past the days of people queuing at the bar and get waiting staff onto the floor - I am 100% sure they would make as much money if not more.