Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fave Charlton Away Game (Excluding Sunderland @ Wembley)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Maidstone away for the FA cup replay was  good fun.
  • Options
    That’s going back a while! Indeed it was. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/13269/the-week-that-was-tue-9th-january-1979-charlton-1-maidstone-1/p1

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Since i moved back to London i've only been to a few away games so my memories are of the 70's early 80's.

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    Since i moved back to London i've only been to a few away games so my memories are of the 70's early 80's.

That was my prime time for away games too before family came along to divert me  ;)
  • Options
    Watching the Chelsea v Barnsley match tonight , reminded me of Charlton beating Barnsley 6 nil away, got to be up there as one of my favorites, what’s yours?
    Yep, I definitely agree with Barnsley away.

I'd also add Oldham away to that, 7th April 2012. Real backs to the wall stuff after Kettle chucked around red cards like confetti. 
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers, January 1993 while they were sharing at Bath City. Nothing very memorable about the game, but I remember hearing the Covered End Choir singing "What's it like to have no ground" for the first time, after all that time hearing it from the other end of Selhurst and Upton Park.
  • Options
    QPR 1-4 1970 - My first away game. We hadn’t won an away for over 30 games. I think we were bottom, and QPR near the top
    Bristol Rovers 5-5 1978 
    Maidstone 1-1 1979 - Hales/Flanagan fight. 
    Man. Utd. 0-1 1986 - felt like forever we had to hang on after Mark Stuart scored
    Newcastle 0-3 1987 - fighting to avoid relegation, an unexpected win, and I think it was Carl Leaburns first goal
    Leeds 1-2 (St. Andrews) 1987 - up there as one of the most nerve wrecking games I’ve been to. 
  • Options
    Another good one - away at Chelsea in April 2001 - Bartlett put us 1 up mid way through first half - we defended the entire 2nd half, rarely got out of our half, and held on for a 1-0 win - Chelsea fans were livid afterwards
  • Options
    Another good one - away at Chelsea in April 2001 - Bartlett put us 1 up mid way through first half - we defended the entire 2nd half, rarely got out of our half, and held on for a 1-0 win - Chelsea fans were livid afterwards
    Another one, when benty scored and we were the first (or only) team to take any points at stamford brisge that year. Maybe Carvalho got sent off or scored or something. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only one candidate here. Leeds playoff at Birmingham on the Friday night. Greater than either of the Wembley playoff games. 
  • Options
    Only one candidate here. Leeds playoff at Birmingham on the Friday night. Greater than either of the Wembley playoff games. 
    Yes and no to that one. The ultimate outcome and Shirtliffe’s winner was incredible. The quality of the game not so much and the sheer fear coming out of the ground weren’t so great.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Yes and no to that one. The ultimate outcome and Shirtliffe’s winner was incredible. The quality of the game not so much and the sheer fear coming out of the ground weren’t so great.
    Yup 
  • Options
    The 4-3 win at Villa Park in 1999 which staved off relegation for one more week has to be the one for me.

1-0 CAFC (Barry og)
    1-1 AV
    1-2  CAFC (Mendonca)
    2-2 AV
    2-3  CAFC (Robinson)
    3-3 AV
    3-4 CAFC (Mills)

Last 10 mins with 10 men after Andy Petterson sent off.

I was living in Birminhgam at the time and was driving around the city for days afterwards with Charlton scarves fluttering from the windows. The locals must have wondered what was going on!
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Birmingham were our bodyguards.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Reminds me of Liverpool away, 2004(?) - 1-0 Bartlett - bloody good day out - A loud rendition of Valley Floyd Road in a pub beforehand with a piper!

Think Gerrard dived in the area... and got booked for it! Lots of pissy, outraged Liverpool fans afterwards. 
  • Options
    boggzy said:
    Reminds me of Liverpool away, 2004(?) - 1-0 Bartlett - bloody good day out - A loud rendition of Valley Floyd Road in a pub beforehand with a piper!

Think Gerrard dived in the area... and got booked for it! Lots of pissy, outraged Liverpool fans afterwards. 
    Was in that pub, the Arkles, beforehand. A historic win. Around that same period we also led 1-0 up there until late when they scored twice. Anfield deservedly has a poor reputation for atmosphere most times these days (except European nights) but the sheer roar when they scored those two late goals was something else. 

Only goal roar I’ve heard louder was the jocks when they knocked two past us in 3mins a few years back at Hampden. Deafening!
  • Options
    I didn't count this as an away game as such but I agree with you. It was certainly a much better match than the last Wembley game, which seemed to feature about 3 serious efforts on goal in total. 
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    I ran all the way from St Andrews to New St Station afterwards - couldn’t do that now - wouldn’t be able to run 100 yards !!

That and Chelsea 1988 are the games I have felt the most frightened when leaving the ground
  • Options
    Wimbledon away at Selhurst in the league cup, in midweek, won 5-4, with Bowyer getting a hat trick. Then on the Saturday, winning 5-1 away to Ipswich, with Leaburn getting a hat trick. What a week !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    boggzy said:

Was in that pub, the Arkles, beforehand. A historic win. Around that same period we also led 1-0 up there until late when they scored twice. Anfield deservedly has a poor reputation for atmosphere most times these days (except European nights) but the sheer roar when they scored those two late goals was something else. 

Only goal roar I’ve heard louder was the jocks when they knocked two past us in 3mins a few years back at Hampden. Deafening!

They were quiet at both of those Easter games but incredibly loud in our cup game in there in '96. That was a good away day, I was allowed 2 days off school, seeing a Charlton player on Goal of the Month (Kim Grant's chip) was a real treat, and someone let out a massive fart in the minute's silence which had hundreds of people laughing.

Highlights from 19:33 here:
    https://youtu.be/pNqxlH0X6MI
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Birmingham were our bodyguards.
    PA Announcer set the scene by reminding everyone about Ian Hambridge. In my admittedly cloudy memory said something along the lines of  remembering the young lad that died last time Leeds were here.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

boggzy said:

RedPanda said:
    boggzy said:

They were quiet at both of those Easter games but incredibly loud in our cup game in there in '96. That was a good away day, I was allowed 2 days off school, seeing a Charlton player on Goal of the Month (Kim Grant's chip) was a real treat, and someone let out a massive fart in the minute's silence which had hundreds of people laughing.

Possibly just play vid from 12.06 - 12.45 on loop.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lde3khcxruE

I'd never seen this before but sure many have or it's featured on previous threads. Bob's view.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:
    boggzy said:

Who produced this highlights reel of Kim Grants career... and why?!
  • Options
    Still remember Leeds away in May 2004, 3-1 down with about 15 minutes to go and
    up popped Euell with a brace, one a penalty to get a draw 3-3, a result that consigned
    them to relegation... revenge for that embarasing 1-6 defeat at The Valley the previous
    year.
  • Options
    I dont think anyone has mentioned the 3-0 away to Blackpool, last game of 2013-14? Great atmosphere in the away end and a Callum Harriott hatrick
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    The 4-4 against Ipswich away is one I'll always remember. 2-0 down, got back to 2-2 then went 4-2 down before pulling it back to 4-4. Nearly won it late on too.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Toolbox in the snow - Nothing compares to it, as Prince nearly said.

Coventry 3-2 in the Cup 2000.  Pringle jumping over Newton's equaliser was one of the best things he did in a Charlton shirt.