Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fave Charlton Away Game (Excluding Sunderland @ Wembley)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Nearing the end of the 1980/81 season (I think) when we won away midweek at Fulham, the same night Pompey who were fighting for promotion with us, lost away. Cue great celebrations in the away end and on the way home - good old fashioned away game with mates & several beers
  • Options
    Palace 0-1 (Todorov) 2007
    Halifax away in the cup in 2011
    Plymouth away last time, down and back in a day, singing on the tube with hundreds of other Addicks and the drummer in the middle of the train!
  • Options
    Leyton Orient 0 - 3 Charlton  Easter 1964. 

Crystal Palace 3 - 3 Charlton Aug 1969 crazy game 

Blackpool 5 - 0 Charlton April 1972 .I was not there, ruined my wedding day though.  Also Hitler's wedding anniversary and England lost to Germany at Wembley in European or World Cup qualifying game .

Millwall 0- 2 Charlton Feb 1977 (Old Den)

Wolves  2-2 Charlton  November 1966

Ipswich 1- 4 Charlton February 1966

Leyton Orient 1 - 1 Charlton  April 1978 saved us and them from relegation. 

Arsenal 2 - 4 Charlton Feb 2004 ?

Peterborough 1- 5 Charlton Oct 2010

Chesterfield 0 - 4 Charlton March 2012

Blackpool 0 - 3 Charlton May 2015

Rotherham 1 -  4 Charlton  Jan 2016 ?

Leeds 1 - 2 Charlton May 2016

Blackburn 1 - 2 Charlton Aug 2019

WBA 2 - 2 Charlton Oct 2019 for the endless noise our fans created...

Stoke 3 - 1 Charlton. Feb 2019...last attendance at an away game..damn it.
    Why was losing 5-0 at Blackpool and Charlton getting relegated one of your favourite Charlton away games?
    It was quite obvious. He’s a massive Hitler fan 
    I remember that afternoon. I was 12 and as a ‘treat’ I got taken to see a Jaques Tati film at the National Film Theatre and came out to find Charlton had been relegated and England had lost. I’ve had better weekends 
  • Options
    Watching us stick five past Brighton in our promotion season. Can still visualise Perry Digweed's despairing dive as Mike Flanagan's header went past him into the back of the net - right opposite us in the away end. Who else scored for us?...George Shipley (I think), Alan Curbishley and I forget the others.

Winning a cup game at Craven Cottage some time in the 70s and watching Derek Killer Hales score. In fact I also remember an away game at Fratton Park, where we came back from 2-0 down at half time and Killer then levelled the scores. I believe that was his 29th of the season.

And finally, sitting surrounded by the Chelsea faithful Boxing Day (?) at the Bridge. Harris and goalie Bonetti get mixed up and Killer nips in to win the game 3-2. Cue a determined celebration on my part, and, yes, I got back home in one piece.

They don't make them like Derek Hales any longer.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Lots, but one always sticks in my mind Coventry away in cup, if memory serves me correct 2-0 down early on with their lot singing can we play every week. 

All turned around, I think to 3-2 to us and of course all Charlton going mental and returning the can we play you every week.

Bloody good drink on way home, perfect away day.
  • Options
    Winning 1-0 at Anfield and Old Trafford in the league takes some beating for someone who never thought they'd see that day.

Coventry in the Cup
    Blackburn in the Cup
    Barnsley 0-6
    Leeds Play off at St Andrews

So many great weekends away with my mates - even the draw at a soaking wet Yeovil was a cracking weekend, especially the home made scrumpy at the Halfway House.
  • Options
    Carlisle 2012. 
  • Options
    Pompey away most recently. Missed first 10 mins as one of the train crew went missing and had an extra hour journey because they couldn’t separate the train.

stopped off somewhere and had a 5 min window to sprint out the station and run to the local Tesco to get some beers. Straight in picked some beers up, skipped the queue and gave the women some money and sprinted out and made the train by about 2 seconds.
  • Options
    Rotherham 4-1 when Jose Riga came back in.

Off the back of the thrashings at Hull and Huddersfield in the space of a week, the win gave us renewed hope at the time of staying up in The Championship. Huge result at the time.
  • Options
    Leeds at St Andrews survived
    Carlisle 86 promoted
    Cardiff 84 getting away was difficult!
    Newcastle 92 3-4 
    Arsenal 2-2 89
    Man Utd 0-1 86
    Thread made me think back to a certain time of no responsibilities apart from getting into work after too many beers. St Andrews can't be beaten but there were some good days and nights. Loads more that could make a whole load more lists.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Too many to mention  , first away game in premier league up at Newcastle was good 0-0 with only 10 men . Forest last season was decent great city and brilliant support all game in a 1-0 win .
  • Options
    Watford 4-3 on NYD was class.
  • Options
    Rotherham 4-1 when Jose Riga came back in.

Off the back of the thrashings at Hull and Huddersfield in the space of a week, the win gave us renewed hope at the time of staying up in The Championship. Huge result at the time.
    That was a good one. We got a bit lucky when they hit their penalty over but overall we totally outplayed them. Makienok 2  Vetokele and Lookman with the goals. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Watching us stick five past Brighton in our promotion season. Can still visualise Perry Digweed's despairing dive as Mike Flanagan's header went past him into the back of the net - right opposite us in the away end. Who else scored for us?...George Shipley (I think), Alan Curbishley and I forget the others.

I'm going for Curbishley 2 Shipley Lee Flanagan. 

The Flanagan header was on the run at the near post from a brilliant John Humphrey cross also on the run. Like you say, we were right in line with the cross and header.

Martin Keown scored for Brighton. Pretty sure he was playing up front as they were short of a striker. 
  • Options
    Pompey 2018 - non stop singing throughout. Great feeling.

Liverpool when we won 1-0 and I sat/stood with my Liverpool supporting mate in the away end. When he jumped up shouting "Penalty!" after he thought a Liverpool player was fouled in the box was fun :joy:

Plenty of away games up north with @Pico, Tony, Ian and John.  Great memories. 
  • Options
    2012 Bournemouth 0 Charlton 1 Dreadful game where Kermogant scored in injury time - great celebrations

2007 Souhampton 0 Charlton 1 played most of the game with ten men after Semedo sent off and Iwelumo scored in the last minute. Met up with my brother afterwards who is a Soton season ticket holder and he could barely speak afterwards. Very enjoyable...

• Options
    edited February 2021
    The list is endless ...

1960’s

Palace in the cup 2-0
    QPR 4-1

1970’s
    Fulham in the cup 2-1?
    Wolves in the cup 0-3
    Brighton in the rain 1-0
    Gillingham in the Kent Cup 1-0
    Chesterfield (can’t remember the score)
    Chelsea 3-2

1980’s
    Brighton 5-3
    Carlisle 3-2
    Man Utd 1-0
    Liverpool 0-2

then there were kids .... 😭
  • Options
    The next one 
  • Options
    Probably not my favourite away game but I loved it all the same. The FA Cup away defeat at Wolves in 75/76. The first time that I went to an away game, on my own, as a 13 year old. 
    Have to admit that I preferred the 3-2 win in 2000, our first win at Molineux in over 40 years. 

• Options
    Carlisle 86 promoted
    Newcastle 92 3-4 
    Arsenal 2-2 89
    Man Utd 0-1 86
    Thread made me think back to a certain time of no responsibilities apart from getting into work after too many beers. St Andrews can't be beaten but there were some good days and nights. Loads more that could make a whole load more lists.

I reckon for the majority of the 1,500? of us at St Andrews, we all seem to believe this was THE game in our attending history.
    Survival both on and off the pitch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So many games away from home were so good for different reasons. I recall the cup game in the 70s at Fulham when killed got the winner. It was crammed in the away end. Late 70s used to go with my dad a lot. For some reason the Gillingham game away when again killed got the winner evokes strong memories in me. Don't know why but I guess it was the whole experience of supporting chat and going to football with my dad. Great memories and been to do many of the games that others are mentioning. Charlton family!
  • Options
    Chelsea May 88- Was 9 at the time but still remember it going off near us in the bottom corner and being kept in the ground for what seemed like an age after the game but did not care as it was just huge relief that we had stayed up (again!). 
    My dad parked the car what seemed like miles away from Stamford Bridge and walking back convinced that we were going to be mobbed by pissed off Chelsea fans.

Always nice to see cars parked at pitch side!!
  • Options
    2-2 v Arsenal at Highbury, Morts and McKenzie 

1-1 v Chelsea, battle at the bridge game

3–2 Coventry away, FA cup 2000

2-0 Reading away, August 2019 (my first away day for 19 years...)
  • Options

The 2-2 at Highbury was a classic game. That was proper football.....hard, physical but with moments of great skill and brilliant goals from our two and Paul Davis' diving header. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Carlisle 86 promoted
    Newcastle 92 3-4 
    Arsenal 2-2 89
    Man Utd 0-1 86

I reckon for the majority of the 1,500? of us at St Andrews, we all seem to believe this was THE game in our attending history.
    Maybe it was an age thing too but after Elland Road and then looking over at them all to our left and looking back at how few we were. Certainly a moment of reflection lol. The noise from them when Sheridan scored was mad. Looking back I think it was the three games in one week that made it so special. The lowest low to the maddest high in 18 minutes of drama after all week spent wound up to the max about whether we would stay up or not. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Simonsen said:

The 2-2 at Highbury was a classic game. That was proper football.....hard, physical but with moments of great skill and brilliant goals from our two and Paul Davis' diving header. 
    Had that Davis goal down as the best scored against us in my mind for years. Watched it yesterday and it was certainly one of the best of the many that I've seen fly past our keepers over the years. Morts magic just like Everton, City and Norwich. Another game that is still so memorable for the atmosphere of proper packed terraces. On the way out was so crushed that as I stepped down a flight of terrace I was held up in the press of bodies and my feet didn't touch the ground until we were out on the road. I wasn't little then, looking back quite frightening really but at the time all I could think of was we'd got a much needed point and had done Arsenal over. Little did we know how that final match would play out at Anfield.
    Chelsea was mad on and off the pitch, not sure which was more violent!
  • Options
    Lifers that have given the thumbs up for Coventry cup match. I’m sure there was an additional buzz of SCP selected for England? 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

I'm going for Curbishley 2 Shipley Lee Flanagan. 

The Flanagan header was on the run at the near post from a brilliant John Humphrey cross also on the run. Like you say, we were right in line with the cross and header.

Martin Keown scored for Brighton. Pretty sure he was playing up front as they were short of a striker. 
    This is one of my favourites too, and I just looked it up, you remembered all that right, down to Keown up front. That’s pretty damn impressive. I never even remembered that Curbs got two that game. I can though remember the music we were playing as we rolled across the Downs, and everyone at the end singing about how we were gonna be running round Brighton with our willies hanging out...

It was bitter sweet for me though. We’d left the Valley a few weeks earlier and I was boycotting. Down at the Goldstone it still felt like “my” Charlton, but next week I still couldn’t bring myself to go there. Eventually my Dad persuaded me, and I was back for Sheffield Utd early in December. 
  • Options
    Carlisle 86 promoted
    Newcastle 92 3-4 
    Arsenal 2-2 89
    Man Utd 0-1 86

Yes - Charlton turnout was terrible that night - I was very surprised when I walked into the ground and saw how few of us there were, especially when you looked across and saw the army that Leeds had brought

Good shout @theenorth for the 2-2 at Arsenal - Mackenzie scored a superb goal that night - good away turnout I recall as well - they had to open another bay for us in the Clock End
  • Options
    Wolves away 1976 FA cup , my first away game. We lost 3 0, my dad supported Wolves and he took me. I’m welling up writing this like a soppy cunt.

Chelsea in 88 obviously. What a day from the meet at the St Martin’s onwards 

Boro away in about 86. For various reasons. Mainly we ended up stranded in Redcar for 2 days with no money and a car we crashed into a sand dune. 

Liverpool . The game of ruining Stan Boardman at half time

Millwall in the snow

Boro cup quarterfinal. Great trip (RIP Duncan)

my god it’s been great.
    @Greenhithe I might be wrong but I have it in my head you were completely off your nut at this one!

sure I remember sitting on the Hogswort Express waiting to leave and you sneaking in through a side entrance to the station with a box full of booze. And then in the buffet car on the way home you smashing loads of those little milk cartons on your own head.

Apologies if I’ve made all that up!
    😂. Now you mention it I was doing exactly that. I was extremely refreshed and misbehaving. As for the train up there. We were all told it was a dry train.  So me an a mate ordered 2 large milk shakes from mcdonalds, bought about 8 miniature vodkas each and put them inside the milkshakes. Only to get to the train and no one was bloody checking.