Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fave Charlton Away Game (Excluding Sunderland @ Wembley)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Norwich away on St Geogres day 2005 was pretty special. Think we lost, but what a day. 
  • Options
    Halifax away in the cup (was it the year we won league 1?). Midday kick off. Most of us still drink from night before as had to set off about 4am to get there. Remember half time they had cans of beer set up on a picnic table. Felt like we were at someone’s garden bbq instead of a game. Won 4-0 to put icing on the cake. 
  • Options
    Weirdly one of my favourites was Fulham FA Cup away, when we lost 4-0
  • Options
    So many games, not easy to remember.

3-3 at Palarse 

4-4 at Burnley

Spanners in the snow

Chesterfield back in the 70's

Every Brighton game at the Goldstone

Southend in the 70's ... cannot even remember the result, just recall we all went in the Southend home end and stayed all game

Old Trafford FA Cup 1994

Norwich on St Georges Day

Wolves in the FA Cup, we took about 10k there

• Options
    A bit random but an Ipswich supporting mate got me a ticket to their game away at Millwall in Aug 2017. Amazing game in the end, was a 7 goal thriller with Ipswich nicking it 4-3 in the 88th minute. 
  • Options
    Arsenal 4-2 win Claus’ goal was sublime and the game had everything. I know that Arsenal peppered our goal with shots most of the game, it was just a case of us being more clinical and seem to remember their goalkeeper having a poor game too. Was not their regular maybe.

Closely behind our win at Palace with Rommedahl scoring in injury time. I really liked the Dane speedster and we only saw his brilliance in flashes, so that goal and win was super sweet against the Nigels.

Finally, 2-0 at the new Den with Grant’s brace and I think it was Paul Mortimer who played like Pele in the second half, dancing around them all and leaving them flat on their arses. Scenes outside afterwards were none too pleasant, what a surprise, but so pleased I was there to see that win.
  • Options
    Bristol Rovers 5 - 5 Charlton First real away game with my school friends.
    Villa 3 - 4 Charlton Just a great day out

• Options

Beating Spurs 3-2 at White Hart Lane back in 2004 is the stand out one for me.

2-0 up at half time thanks to a Shaun Bartlett brace. He got himself sent off for handball in the second half after we went 3-0 up through Jerome Thomas, they fought back to 3-2 but we held on.

Remember the atmosphere being so good in the away end, we were right next to the spurs fans.

Just tried looking for the highlights but couldn't find them. Pretty sure it was this game when Bartlett scored that diving header, I was only a kid at the time so may be wrong.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sheffield Wednesday Away
    FA Cup 4th Round 2014, on a Monday Night
    Ben Hamer started over the Standard Loan (crap) keeper
    Was almost thrown down several rows when Simon Church scored

Biggest moment was in injury time 2-1 up, crowded penalty box, you cannot see Ben Hamer (in his bright yellow kit) for the amount of players.  One of the Sheff Wed players has a punt from outside the area, its going into the top corner, until this big yellow arm appears from nowhere and punches it clear/over the bar.
    Excellent night

(side note:  Extra highlight was the mad dash from about 50 or so CAFC fans at Sheffield station desperately trying to catch the last train back to Manchester, and the train being on the platform furthest from the door, and at the end of another platform.  I've never seen my (at the time) 68 year old dad move so quickly.  the first fans arriving distracting the guard on the train so that all the fans running could get on)

The Magic of the FA Cup
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Random game that sticks in my memory was a midweek 4-2 win at Walsall 99-2000 season? Its the only time I can recall going to a game knowing we were going to win, it was such a good season, we went 2-0 up fairly easily, they pulled one back and we literally went up the other end and scored again, this happened again in the second half, we owned them. It was quite brilliant to watch. 

There was a social club os the ground, very welcoming and the locals held a demo against their board, we all joined in, an excellent evening all round.
  • Options
    Two Norwich games for me 

1988 - beat them 3-1 at Carrow Road - they were top of the league - Morts scored a worldie - I was in home end sat with my best mate who is a Norwich fan - we were staying Norwich for the w/e with his grandparents - went out that evening to pubs and clubs in Norwich and chatted with Ruel Fox and Rob Rosario in a club - they said Charlton had taken Norwich apart and the Norwich players were quite shocked at how well we played

1996 - beat them 2-1 - I think Bradley Allen got the winner - again with my Norwich mate, this time sat in executive seats behind the directors box with 2 of my Charlton supporting mates as well - had started drinking mid morning, and we were well tanked up when we got to ground - our seats included a free bar, so we were mess when the game started - when we scored the winner we went berserk (well 3 of us) which prompted Delia Smith to ask security to move us !!! We got moved to sit behind press seats, but that was ok, because we were able to get in players lounge somehow afterwards - we lasted about 15 mins in the players lounge before getting chucked out because of ‘unacceptable behaviour’ - in essence one of my Charlton mates throwing up all over the floor of the toilets, and me tipping half a pint of lager over my Norwich mates head
  • Options
    Upton Park August 2002
    In no particular order of preference:
    Away victory
    Lovely summer's day
    Residing, as this correspondent did back then, in NW Kent I had a clutch of Hammers drinking buddies, in sincere expectation of a facile home win they'd dared me and my Addick chum to join them for post match boozing/pisstaking in their usual haunt The Central.
    I got a txt message at fulltime from Hammers mate suggesting that The Central would not be a sensible venue for we Charlton fans.
    Unbeknownst to said Boleynites my expected compadré for the fixture had bailed on me late on the Friday afternoon.
    I was having a rant to nobody in particular when my most shapely and appealing colleague pipes up "I've always fancied going to a proper football match, have you got a spare ticket now?"
    "Indeed I have but you do realise I'm going to West Ham?  The visiting supporters' bit is crummy, the neighbourhood ain't special and the home supporters are mostly awful thugs on day release from Wormwood Scrubs.  With the best will in the world, even the Charlton supporters we'll be surrounded by have little to recommend them to a football (ahem) 'virgin'"
    She reminded me she'd grown up in Eltham surrounded by Millwall's acolytes, so a few Hammers and Addicks presented few qualms.
    The prospects for the afternoon just got better and better
    Couple of liveners in the Hamilton Hall pre match, reminded me of the proximity of Brick Lane.  "Do you like Indian food?" "Certainly do, why?"  "Couple of streets that way are loads of curry restaurants, we can come back this way after the game, there's a terrific little boozer tucked away in Bangla Town and we can then go get some properly spicy food, whaddaya reckon?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/2224584.stm

Vainglorious as it is to mention it here, twasn't just Jensen and Fortune who scored that day.  Me colleague's curiosity for football was satiated, happily her interest in me remained enthusiastic for a good couple of years.

• Options
    Bit of a random one that's not been mentioned. V Hartlepool, 2011. We absolutely battered them. Rob Elliott was in the stand with us. They also had a really good cask beer on, was about £2.60 a pint.
  • Options
    Upton Park August 2002
    In no particular order of preference:
    Away victory
    Lovely summer's day
    Residing, as this correspondent did back then, in NW Kent I had a clutch of Hammers drinking buddies, in sincere expectation of a facile home win they'd dared me and my Addick chum to join them for post match boozing/pisstaking in their usual haunt The Central.
    I got a txt message at fulltime from Hammers mate suggesting that The Central would not be a sensible venue for we Charlton fans.
    Unbeknownst to said Boleynites my expected compadré for the fixture had bailed on me late on the Friday afternoon.
    I was having a rant to nobody in particular when my most shapely and appealing colleague pipes up "I've always fancied going to a proper football match, have you got a spare ticket now?"
    "Indeed I have but you do realise I'm going to West Ham?  The visiting supporters' bit is crummy, the neighbourhood ain't special and the home supporters are mostly awful thugs on day release from Wormwood Scrubs.  With the best will in the world, even the Charlton supporters we'll be surrounded by have little to recommend them to a football (ahem) 'virgin'"
    She reminded me she'd grown up in Eltham surrounded by Millwall's acolytes, so a few Hammers and Addicks presented few qualms.
    The prospects for the afternoon just got better and better
    Couple of liveners in the Hamilton Hall pre match, reminded me of the proximity of Brick Lane.  "Do you like Indian food?" "Certainly do, why?"  "Couple of streets that way are loads of curry restaurants, we can come back this way after the game, there's a terrific little boozer tucked away in Bangla Town and we can then go get some properly spicy food, whaddaya reckon?"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/2224584.stm

Vainglorious as it is to mention it here, twasn't just Jensen and Fortune who scored that day.  Me colleague's curiosity for football was satiated, happily her interest in me remained enthusiastic for a good couple of years.

Away win, beers, curry, bunk up - my perfect day
  • Options
    Actually, got a uncle who is a really smug Liverpool fan. Thinks he's Kenny Dalglish. Saw them get battered by Wimbledon, that was funny.
  • Options
    Leyton Orient 0 - 3 Charlton  Easter 1964. 

Crystal Palace 3 - 3 Charlton Aug 1969 crazy game 

Blackpool 5 - 0 Charlton April 1972 .I was not there, ruined my wedding day though.  Also Hitler's wedding anniversary and England lost to Germany at Wembley in European or World Cup qualifying game .

Millwall 0- 2 Charlton Feb 1977 (Old Den)

Wolves  2-2 Charlton  November 1966

Ipswich 1- 4 Charlton February 1966

Leyton Orient 1 - 1 Charlton  April 1978 saved us and them from relegation. 

Arsenal 2 - 4 Charlton Feb 2004 ?

Peterborough 1- 5 Charlton Oct 2010

Chesterfield 0 - 4 Charlton March 2012

Blackpool 0 - 3 Charlton May 2015

Rotherham 1 -  4 Charlton  Jan 2016 ?

Leeds 1 - 2 Charlton May 2016

Blackburn 1 - 2 Charlton Aug 2019

WBA 2 - 2 Charlton Oct 2019 for the endless noise our fans created...

Stoke 3 - 1 Charlton. Feb 2019...last attendance at an away game..damn it.
    Why was losing 5-0 at Blackpool and Charlton getting relegated one of your favourite Charlton away games?
  • Options
    Lots of mentions for the Yeovil 1-1 in the rain, but spare a thought for the 3-2 on Boxing day 2011. Went 1-0 down to a Jonathan Obika bicycle kick, equalised twice including a Yann free kick, and then Danny Green finally scored his first Charlton goal in injury time for the win. In addition to that, the Wendies were 1-0 up against Walsall and then somehow managed to concede twice in injury time to lose 2-1. It was a very good couple of minutes right at the death. That was the point when it really felt like it was going to be a special season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Millwall in the snow and Ipswich away with Karl’s hat trick 
  • Options
    Lots of mentions for the Yeovil 1-1 in the rain, but spare a thought for the 3-2 on Boxing day 2011. Went 1-0 down to a Jonathan Obika bicycle kick, equalised twice including a Yann free kick, and then Danny Green finally scored his first Charlton goal in injury time for the win. In addition to that, the Wendies were 1-0 up against Walsall and then somehow managed to concede twice in injury time to lose 2-1. It was a very good couple of minutes right at the death. That was the point when it really felt like it was going to be a special season
    Yeah I seem to remember our rivals all wasting winning positions whilst we'd done the opposite

Thats when I started to believe we were going to win the title
  • Options
    The 4-3 at St james Park against newcastle after being 3-0 down after 30 minutes was a high for me - there was a 2-1 win at Middlesborough a few years earlier when they pegged us back near the end and we came back to nick a winner when they loked more likely, but that Newcastle game was a high.
  • Options
    Watford away on new years day whenever that was, also one of my favourite games ever.

Closely followed by Sheff W away midweek in the FA cup about 8 years ago, right before we got knocked out by the other Sheffield who at the time were the league below us. 

2 trips to Sheffield in a couple of weeks for me. Depressing. 
  • Options
    Yeah I seem to remember our rivals all wasting winning positions whilst we'd done the opposite

Thats when I started to believe we were going to win the title
    Bournemouth away, we won it in the 92nd minute just as Huddersfield conceded a 92nd minute equaliser and Sheffield United let in a 92nd minute pen to lose 3-2 (after Harry Maguire had been sent off for giving the pen away). That was a hilarious minute.
  • Options
    Two Norwich games for me 

1988 - beat them 3-1 at Carrow Road - they were top of the league - Morts scored a worldie - I was in home end sat with my best mate who is a Norwich fan - we were staying Norwich for the w/e with his grandparents - went out that evening to pubs and clubs in Norwich and chatted with Ruel Fox and Rob Rosario in a club - they said Charlton had taken Norwich apart and the Norwich players were quite shocked at how well we played

1996 - beat them 2-1 - I think Bradley Allen got the winner - again with my Norwich mate, this time sat in executive seats behind the directors box with 2 of my Charlton supporting mates as well - had started drinking mid morning, and we were well tanked up when we got to ground - our seats included a free bar, so we were mess when the game started - when we scored the winner we went berserk (well 3 of us) which prompted Delia Smith to ask security to move us !!! We got moved to sit behind press seats, but that was ok, because we were able to get in players lounge somehow afterwards - we lasted about 15 mins in the players lounge before getting chucked out because of ‘unacceptable behaviour’ - in essence one of my Charlton mates throwing up all over the floor of the toilets, and me tipping half a pint of lager over my Norwich mates head
    The 2nd of these for me... remember the other goal being an absolute screamer on the turn from 20 yards by Mark Kinsella.
  • Options
    Wolves away 1976 FA cup , my first away game. We lost 3 0, my dad supported Wolves and he took me. I’m welling up writing this like a soppy cunt.

Chelsea in 88 obviously. What a day from the meet at the St Martin’s onwards 

Boro away in about 86. For various reasons. Mainly we ended up stranded in Redcar for 2 days with no money and a car we crashed into a sand dune. 

Liverpool . The game of ruining Stan Boardman at half time

Millwall in the snow

Boro cup quarterfinal. Great trip (RIP Duncan)

my god it’s been great.
    @Greenhithe I might be wrong but I have it in my head you were completely off your nut at this one!

sure I remember sitting on the Hogswort Express waiting to leave and you sneaking in through a side entrance to the station with a box full of booze. And then in the buffet car on the way home you smashing loads of those little milk cartons on your own head.

Apologies if I’ve made all that up!
  • Options
    Chelsea 88 was one of those weird games where I knew how important it was that we didn’t lose, but I had this inner confidence that we would be fine - well that’s how felt walking to Stamford Bridge - when I got there and saw the amount of people milling around and then walked onto the terrace and saw how many people were in the ground, I will admit feeling a tad nauseous !!!

That game is one of the most frightened I have been leaving a football ground, a lot of Chelsea fans were looking for trouble, and I wasn’t looking forward to the tube journey - luckily a Charlton mate of mine saw me in the crowd on the way out, we ducked out of the scrum of people and legged it to his car - on the way back, he made the mistake of going down the Old Kent Road, and there were Millwall everywhere as they had got promoted that day - luckily they didn’t notice the Charlton sticker on the rear window