Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fave Charlton Away Game (Excluding Sunderland @ Wembley)

Comments

• Options
    One of the Liverpool away games was a highlight.
    East Terrace went up to Steve McManaman (surrounded by a dozen mates), in a club afterwards and told him that he was f&%$£&% sh1t.
    Amazingly he walked away unscathed.
    I found him when the club closed and the lights came on standing up fast asleep against a pillar.
  • Options
    A Newcastle game when another mate decided it was a good idea to climb out the hotel window and onto the hotel roof.
  • Options
    was at most of those mentioned above and agree but a few more that haven't been mentioned: ipswich 5-1 i think, leaburn hattrick, millwall in the snow, west ham and man utd 86? carlisle 86, shef wed (jackson free kick) 2012? palace wole arthur waite stand 2000 ish?
  • Options
    A Newcastle game when another mate decided it was a good idea to climb out the hotel window and onto the hotel roof.
    Probably the bastard who set off our hotel alarm at 3am leading to us all freezing our tits off in the car park
  • Options
    the spurs game was a few years before 85 wasn't it - i was there - sure it was more like 82/3?

• Options
    Crewe 0 - Charlton 3
    belting day out and brilliant result 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    the spurs game was a few years before 85 wasn't it - i was there - sure it was more like 82/3?

1984-85 FA Cup. Ronnie Moore, Mike Flanagan, Paul Friar, Dave Madden, Robert Lee all played.

82-83 we were knocked out by Ipswich 2-3. Don McAllister, Terry Bulliivant,  Alan Simonsen  Derek Hales, Martin Robinson etc. 
  • Options
    4-2 v Arsenal
    3-2 v Coventry in cup
  • Options
    I was on the terraces at the famous 4-3 win (having been 3-0 down) at St. James's Park, Newcastle, January 18th, 1992.
    That was an amazing game.

Another very enjoyable day out took place nearly five years earlier, at The Dell, Southampton, on 25th April 1987, when goals from Jim Melrose and Robert Lee secured an important point in a 2-2 draw.
    The game took place on a very warm day. The campaign to return to The Valley was underway and, if my memory is correct, a group of Charlton supporters had walked from The Valley to The Dell.
    John Humphrey was sent off. Our goals led to wild scenes in the packed 'cage'.
    This well-earned point was indicative of the spirit evident in Lennie Lawrence's gutsy squad. That spirit would see the Addicks negotiate, successfully, the play-offs, culminating in the famous victory against Billy Bremner's Leeds Utd at St Andrew's, Birmingham.
    I was in the home end for the 2-2 at The Dell and again the following season when Garth Crooks got us a 1-0 win. Those points were crucial. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brighton 5-3. And Middlesbrough 3-1, both always same season I think
    Yes.

The Boro game was a brilliant day. Old Bill selling Bovril from the back of their police van at half-time and they let us in the seats when it started raining. Those coppers were superb and the team played really well.

Had another great day at Ayresome Park with the last minute Tommy Caton penalty winner.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    DOUCHER said:

1984-85 FA Cup. Ronnie Moore, Mike Flanagan, Paul Friar, Dave Madden, Robert Lee all played.

82-83 we were knocked out by Ipswich 2-3. Don McAllister, Terry Bullington  Alan Simonsen  Derek Hales, Martin Robinson etc. 
    ok fair enough - remember garth crooks getting showered with bananas by the corner of the covered end in the replay - how times have changed - the watford one must have been 83-84 
  • Options
    Yeovil in the rain - never been so wet.

Pompey in 2018 - stood up from the moment we got into the ground at 2.30 to when we left at 5. Best atmosphere ever.

Shrewsbury play off - pepper spray going off 10 foot in front of us.

Villa 4-3 - Nuff said

• Options
    That Pompey away game
    the Palace we’ll never play you again game 
    The palace fa cup replay in ‘69
    Ipswich 5th round fa cup
    The 3-3 away to palace in ‘68, my very first ever away game 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    I was on the terraces at the famous 4-3 win (having been 3-0 down) at St. James's Park, Newcastle, January 18th, 1992.
    That was an amazing game.

Another very enjoyable day out took place nearly five years earlier, at The Dell, Southampton, on 25th April 1987, when goals from Jim Melrose and Robert Lee secured an important point in a 2-2 draw.
    The game took place on a very warm day. The campaign to return to The Valley was underway and, if my memory is correct, a group of Charlton supporters had walked from The Valley to The Dell.
    John Humphrey was sent off. Our goals led to wild scenes in the packed 'cage'.
    This well-earned point was indicative of the spirit evident in Lennie Lawrence's gutsy squad. That spirit would see the Addicks negotiate, successfully, the play-offs, culminating in the famous victory against Billy Bremner's Leeds Utd at St Andrew's, Birmingham.
    I was in the home end for the 2-2 at The Dell and again the following season when Garth Crooks got us a 1-0 win. Those points were crucial. 
    i remember the 2-2 at the dell but mainly for my mate finding a £20 note floating along in the urinal 
  • Options
    portsmouth away one evening 91ish - train back was carnage and we stopped at a little station half way back and a blakey type train master got on and started banging on - he got showered with seats, lightbulbs, soap, bog rolls, the lot and got back off 
  • Options
    FA Cup both the Tottenham 1-1 draw and 1-0 win at Blackburn....... 
    Both the Anglo Italian Cup away games just because of seeing us play in Europe!!! 
    Many League games come to mind but one that really sticks out for me is the 3-1 win Norwich with Morts scoring one of his many wonder goals

• Options
    Pompey away in 2018- was the moment that I finally felt something special was going to happen that season, just such an electric atmosphere throughout
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    2-1 Carlisle in 81- promotion, spent the evening in Blackpool with a girl I met in the 2-0 win there a few months earlier at Blackpool (we are still good friends to this day) in march, drove straight to work for 7.00am start.
    5-5 Bristol Rovers 78
    1-0 Palace 2000
    2-2 Blackburn when Leaburn scored in the last minute. year about 1990
    4-3 Villa - the same day Jimmy Glass scored for Carlisle to keep them in the league.
    2-1 Wednesday FA CUP 2014, their fans were obnoxious before and afterwards.
    2-1 Sunderland 86 when Rob lee scored both, lived in Scotland then was a great drive down and had the evening in a pub in Marsden called the Marsden grotto an amazing pub built into the cliffs.
    3-2 Coventry, they were 2-0 up after 20 mins and they were baiting us with the can we play you every week song, we returned it with interest after Hunt scored the third.
    1-3 defeat at Man Utd FA cup.

Edited to add this...Ipswich away 1981 2-0 defeat they were top of the league1 and we were top of league 3. we gave them a run for their money but never forget the packed end all singing "Shut up your face" by Joe Dolce...Great day out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-1 Carlisle in 81- promotion, spent the evening in Blackpool with a girl I met in the 2-0 win there a few months earlier at Blackpool (we are still good friends to this day) in march, drove straight to work for 7.00am start.
    5-5 Bristol Rovers 78
    1-0 Palace 2000
    2-2 Blackburn when Leaburn scored in the last minute. year about 1990
    4-3 Villa - the same day Jimmy Glass scored for Carlisle to keep them in the league.
    2-1 Wednesday FA CUP 2014, their fans were obnoxious before and afterwards.
    2-1 Sunderland 86 when Rob lee scored both, lived in Scotland then was a great drive down and had the evening in a pub in Marsden called the Marsden grotto an amazing pub built into the cliffs.
    3-2 Coventry, they were 2-0 up after 20 mins and they were baiting us with the can we play you every week song, we returned it with interest after Hunt scored the third.
    1-3 defeat at Man Utd FA cup.
    We drank with Wednesday Dan's in the Garrison hotel after the game as we stayed there the night. They were fine, especially considering Church punches the winner in the net.

We went for a couple of pints in one of the pubs that was near the old Wadsley Bridge station, There were a few decent fans in their but every time I went to the bar/toilet there were a few idiots saying things, same as we left and walked down the hill to the ground. Similar happened when we went back to the car for the long drive home.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    DOUCHER said:

82-83 we were knocked out by Ipswich 2-3. Don McAllister, Terry Bullington  Alan Simonsen  Derek Hales, Martin Robinson etc. 
    Never forget the Ipswich cup game, it was the day I got married, always get reminded I went out of the post marriage celebrations at HT and full time to find out the score....Up to that point it was the first game I missed that season, a few weeks later moved to Scotland.
  • Options
    Apart from the more obvious ones 

First away day outside London Dec 84 Oxford away 5-0 loss , think coach broke down on way back and Steve Dixon went and got us all a load of chips from the chippy and we found out we were gonna play Spurs in the FA Cup ....
    I remember it being so cold that Vince Niedzwicki fella or whatever his name was offered me a £5 for my Charlton silk scarf........ no deal !

Newcastle away May Bank holiday 1987  0-3 win  Miller , Leaburn and was it Crooks all got their first Charlton goals that game and the great escape was on .

Bury away League Cup Sep 1992 first leg 0-0 , midweek trip stayed up there overnight ,  with PBS amongst others,  drinking very early on and so smashed fell asleep during game and got the hump when steward wouldn’t let us out at the end , only to be informed by him it was half time !!!!

Stevenage away October 2011 a 2-0 loss my eldest sons first away game .

• Options
    Their cup final in the snow, 0-2.
  • Options
    Chesterfield away April 2017.
    A cracking crawl from town centre to ground.  Bellowing out "Chrissy Powell's red n white army" till half time then buggering off doing the crawl in reverse.
    Fell asleep in two boozers before sobering up at the station on hearing @clb74 moaning that he'd almost broke his leg falling over the steps to the platform!!!
    I miraculously got home via The Dolphin off the Euston Road, ending up at Walthamstow tube then back to Victoria.  Bromley via Croydon sobered me up a second time.
    The day was marred by me losing my programme.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    From a pure game viewpoint.
    St Andrews '87
    Highbury 4-2
    palice 1-0 2004
    Spanners in the snow
    Hull 6-0

• Options
    Coventry 2-3 cupset 
    Villa 3-4 hope
    Fulham 4-0 singing
    Carlisle 0-1 promotion
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    The 5-1 loss at Maine Road when we got there at halftime. Lee Harmsworth.

West Ham away - Melrose.

Brighton away - 5-3, Curbishley screamer

Yep....all of those would make my Top 20. 

The Man City game would probably be in my Top 5. Like you and many others, I got in at half time due to the rail problems. The fleet of black cabs through Moss Side must've looked weird to the locals! The atmosphere in the ground was unreal....as was the noise when they scored.