Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent Cricket 2021

Comments

• Options
    Could it just be possible that Kent did so well last night because so many of their players played in The Hundred, not in spite of?
    No. Because most of them didn't play much! 
    Could it be because most of them were sitting around doing nothing in August? :smile:
  • Options
    Could it just be possible that Kent did so well last night because so many of their players played in The Hundred, not in spite of?
    Sorry if what I said is incorrect, but I was going by @Fanny Fanackapans comment that  'Last night Kent's 11 included NINE players who were involved in the Hundred'. 
    Involved as in taken away from Kent to various franchises. But then didn't play much
  • Options
    Hampshire v Somerset

Kent v Sussex

All southern group line-up for finals day.
    It's grim up north.....
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was very near you, that guy in the colourful hat was bonkers  ;)

Joe Denly baby!

I was impressed when Zak noticed that we didn't have enough fielders outside the ring, and stopped the bowler
    Are you in that photo @killerandflash, I can see 3 Charlton fans there, one was sitting to the left of the man in the hat. 
    He must of had a headache in the morning. 
  • Options
    Sorry if what I said is incorrect, but I was going by @Fanny Fanackapans comment that  'Last night Kent's 11 included NINE players who were involved in the Hundred'. 
    All 11 were called up for The Hundred. Billings, as captain, played in every game as would one or two others such as Milne and Qais Ahmad. Others like Denly, DBD and Blake played a few games whilst the likes of Cox and Leaning did nothing.

So, in answer to your question, there is no direct correlation between their selection for The Hundred and performance in a one off match in the Blast. But there is a direct correlation between losing those 11 and our woeful results in the Royal London.
  • Options
    All 11 were called up for The Hundred. Billings, as captain, played in every game as would one or two others such as Milne and Qais Ahmad. Others like Denly, DBD and Blake played a few games whilst the likes of Cox and Leaning did nothing.

So, in answer to your question, there is no direct correlation between their selection for The Hundred and performance in a one off match in the Blast. But there is a direct correlation between losing those 11 and our woeful results in the Royal London.
    I fully agree with what you have said, but surely the way forward is to accommodate both tournaments so that one does not affect the other.

• Options

I fully agree with what you have said, but surely the way forward is to accommodate both tournaments so that one does not affect the other.

The issue is that there are only so many weeks in a cricket season. We are trying now to fit four competitions in when it was a struggle to do so previously with three. We are also playing most of the County Championship matches at the two ends of the season which doesn't help the production of spinners or top order bats.

I can actually see, despite the protestations to the contrary of the ECB, in a few years time, The Hundred being extended by two teams and fixtures increased with The Vitality Blast being dropped. County Championship matches will be spread out more evenly and a meaningful 50 over competition will return.

The bigger counties who will host The Hundred will be offered a greater share of the ticket and merchandise sales as well as the day of match profits. The bribe from the ECB to to the likes of Kent, Northants, Worcs, Leics etc etc will cease and they will become minor counties, albeit possibly invited to continue to compete in the 50 over comp. The ECB will argue that Australia don't have 18 teams in the County Championship and their internationals are involved in the Sheffield Shield as and when they need to be so why shouldn't ours. and by reducing the number of counties to say eight, the standard would be raised.

• Options
    On a slightly different note, are any Lifers on here eligible to purchase tickets for Finals Day but not able to attend/not intending to use ? 

I should be able to purchase 2 in my name after 3pm on Tuesday but have a couple of others keen to go too so any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

It was a difficult decision to abandon our lads in the red shirt as they travel to Wycombe but this is a one off trip to Edgbaston that I don't want to miss it possible. 

Merci beauchamps ....
  • Options
    On a slightly different note, are any Lifers on here eligible to purchase tickets for Finals Day but not able to attend/not intending to use ? 

I should be able to purchase 2 in my name after 3pm on Tuesday but have a couple of others keen to go too so any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

It was a difficult decision to abandon our lads in the red shirt as they travel to Wycombe but this is a one off trip to Edgbaston that I don't want to miss it possible. 

Merci beauchamps ....
    Would love to be able to help Fanny but I'm not a Member and despite Seb being in the U18 team he's not entitled preferential treatment to purchase tickets either. That probably doesn't happen at Charlton!
  • Options
    We've announced the following squad for the CC match starting tomorrow:

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Merci beauchamps ....
    Would love to be able to help Fanny but I'm not a Member and despite Seb being in the U18 team he's not entitled preferential treatment to purchase tickets either. That probably doesn't happen at Charlton!
    Thanks, AA. 

We've never been members but are eligible for 2 tickets having attended at least one match in the group stage & then Friday evening's Quarter Final. 
  • Options
    Ollie Robinson captained the side in the Royal London but was 12th man for the QF. He is our top scorer in the CC and I sincerely hope that we an average of 38.28 he isn't the sacrificial lamb once again tomorrow.
  • Options
    I feel sorry for Finch, he came in and did well when the others were away earning big money in a rubbish competition.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Stewart said:
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was very near you, that guy in the colourful hat was bonkers  ;)

Joe Denly baby!

I was impressed when Zak noticed that we didn't have enough fielders outside the ring, and stopped the bowler
    Are you in that photo @killerandflash, I can see 3 Charlton fans there, one was sitting to the left of the man in the hat. 
    He must of had a headache in the morning. 
    No, I was one row back, standing to the right
  • Options
    Billings called up by England apparently, I assume he drops out?
  • Options
    Ollie Robinson captained the side in the Royal London but was 12th man for the QF. He is our top scorer in the CC and I sincerely hope that we an average of 38.28 he isn't the sacrificial lamb once again tomorrow.
    Forget that - Billings called up to carry the drinks once again for England
  • Options
    I would have thought Denly would have been out , unless they wanted him as the spinner 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I would have thought Denly would have been out , unless they wanted him as the spinner 
    I would be very surprised if that did happen although there is a argument for doing so given his average of 17 in the CC. It's just not something they do as form is only part of the selection process when it comes to the highest paid and most prestigious players at the County - our overseas, Cummins, for example, took 6 wickets at more than 100 apiece but didn't get dropped when there was every justification for doing so. The six week break from red ball and as you say fact that Denly can bowl his leggies do offer him extra protection.

I would suggest that the team might now look, in batting order, something like this:

Robinson
    Cox
    Crawley
    Denly
    Leaning
    DBD
    Stevens
    Podmore
    Milnes
    Gilchrist
    Logan

• Options
    In reality the Blast is all that really counts for us now, so they might be thinking of using this CC match to hopefully get Denly and Crawley to back some form anyway
  • Options
    In reality the Blast is all that really counts for us now, so they might be thinking of using this CC match to hopefully get Denly and Crawley to back some form anyway
    Bad news for us - neither Milne nor Qais Ahmad will be available for us from what I have read as they will have already  be at the IPL. This also means that Sussex will be without Rashid Khan which is some comfort. The English players involved in the IPL such as Jordan and Billings leave the day after Finals Day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    wmcf123 said:
    I would be very surprised if that did happen although there is a argument for doing so given his average of 17 in the CC. It's just not something they do as form is only part of the selection process when it comes to the highest paid and most prestigious players at the County - our overseas, Cummins, for example, took 6 wickets at more than 100 apiece but didn't get dropped when there was every justification for doing so. The six week break from red ball and as you say fact that Denly can bowl his leggies do offer him extra protection.

I would suggest that the team might now look, in batting order, something like this:

Robinson
    Cox
    Crawley
    Denly
    Leaning
    DBD
    Stevens
    Podmore
    Milnes
    Gilchrist
    Logan

Kent won the toss and elected to bat. Team as above but with Stewart in for Podmore. Robinson also drops to 6 and keeps with everyone else moving up one

Edit - see below. Billings playing and keeping. DBD left out
  • Options
    3-1

Cox out for a duck
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Robinson
    Cox
    Crawley
    Denly
    Leaning
    DBD
    Stevens
    Podmore
    Milnes
    Gilchrist
    Logan

Kent won the toss and elected to bat. Team as above but with Stewart in for Podmore. Robinson also drops to 6 and keeps with everyone else moving up one
    Too quick off the mark and didn't notice Billings is playing and keeping!!! DBD has been left out
  • Options
    Billings is on standby for England but not with the squad
  • Options
    Billings is on standby for England but not with the squad
    That makes more sense. I didn't see why England needed a spare keeper in their matchday squad, when Bairstow is fit and happy to take the gloves
  • Options
    DBD looked really good on Friday, and leaving him out today to me makes it clearer that Kent are using these matches to try and get some of their other players into form, 
  • Options
    Link for those who wish to watch the game live:

https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/fixture/leicestershire-vs-kent/#
  • Options
    Reluctantly, we've made the decision not to attend Finals day for several reasons, including the cost of tickets and with 3 of us intending to make the match, we'd have to purchase 2 followed by a single, with our party of 3 being seated separately. 

Many thanks for the offers of assistance in purchasing tickets but will now hope to travel to Wycombe whilst recording the Final matches to watch once we get home. 
  • Options
    Don’t bother checking the score 

that is all 
  • Options
    Milne and qais not playing is massive. Are we going to look at getting any replacements in ?