Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2021

Unvaccinated people are 'variant factories,' infectious diseases expert says

People who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 not only risk their own health but are "variant factories," an infectious disease expert told CNN

"Unvaccinated people are potential variant factories," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, told CNN.

"The more unvaccinated people there are, the more opportunities for the virus to multiply," he added.

Variants evolve in the body of a person who is infected with the coronavirus. 

When it does, it mutates, and it could throw off a variant mutation that is even more serious down the road," Schaffner said. 

Viruses, including the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, endure mutations, and while some mutations may harm the virus, others could help it. For example, a mutation could help a virus be more transmissible. 

When the virus spreads to another person, the mutation will replicate and also spread, and if it's successful and continues to spread, it becomes a variant.

Unvaccinated people provide the opportunity for the mutation to continue to replicate, CNN reported.

• Options
    At what point does herd immunity kick in ?
    We now have over 45 million with the 1st jab and the 2nd jab will surely catch up in the coming weeks. 
    So at what point will herd immunity kick in.
    Anyone know 
  • Options
    We now have over 45 million with the 1st jab and the 2nd jab will surely catch up in the coming weeks. 
    Anyone know 
    It varies depending on the virus. For some viruses it's below fifty percent, for others it's eighty or ninety percent.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

People who have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 not only risk their own health but are "variant factories," an infectious disease expert told CNN

"Unvaccinated people are potential variant factories," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, told CNN.

"The more unvaccinated people there are, the more opportunities for the virus to multiply," he added.

When it does, it mutates, and it could throw off a variant mutation that is even more serious down the road," Schaffner said. 

Viruses, including the coronavirus that causes COVID-19, endure mutations, and while some mutations may harm the virus, others could help it. For example, a mutation could help a virus be more transmissible. 

When the virus spreads to another person, the mutation will replicate and also spread, and if it's successful and continues to spread, it becomes a variant.

Unvaccinated people provide the opportunity for the mutation to continue to replicate, CNN reported. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/unvaccinated-people-are-variant-factories-disease-expert-says-2021-7%3famp

Infected people are 'potential variant factories', not just infected, unvaccinated people. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Anyone know 
    It varies depending on the virus. For some viruses it's below fifty percent, for others it's eighty or ninety percent.
    Cheers. 
    So I believe about 85% Have had the 1st jab and the 2nd jab will catch up at some point. 
    So we could have herd immunity by the time winter arrives.
    I think this is a positive or am I missing something. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    stonemuse said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/unvaccinated-people-are-variant-factories-disease-expert-says-2021-7%3famp

Infected people are 'potential variant factories', not just infected, unvaccinated people. 
    Try reading it again ... then you might understand.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Anyone know 
    Cheers. 
    So I believe about 85% Have had the 1st jab and the 2nd jab will catch up at some point. 
    One of the key parameters that determine the herd immunity number is the reproduction rate.  With the alpha (Kent) and delta variants each increasing that number by approx 50% the herd immunity target has significantly increased.

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Anyone know 
    Cheers. 
    Being vaccinated doesn't provide complete immunity. A vaccinated person can become infected and pass it on. But vaccinated people (and previously infected people) have higher levels of immunity and are less likely to catch it and to pass it on. 

So, in any population, the more people that are vaccinated, the higher the levels of herd immunity. But 100% vaccination does not mean 0% infection. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Anyone know 
    Cheers. 
    Being vaccinated doesn't provide complete immunity. A vaccinated person can become infected and pass it on. But vaccinated people (and previously infected people) have higher levels of immunity and are less likely to catch it and to pass it on. 

So, in any population, the more people that are vaccinated, the higher the levels of herd immunity. But 100% vaccination does not mean 0% infection. 
    No I fully understand that.
    But once you have had both jabs even though you can catch it and pass it on the symptoms should be very mild.
    Not having to go to hospital or need a ventilator so therefore the NHS should not get put under any more pressure that it can cope with.
  • Options
    Had second AZ yesterday and absolutely no side effects so far.
    Just been told by my mates down in Andalusia that they are now using the single dose Janssen vaccine for the latest batch of vaccinations locally. Certainly going to speed things up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    Had second AZ yesterday and absolutely no side effects so far.
    Just been told by my mates down in Andalusia that they are now using the single dose Janssen vaccine for the latest batch of vaccinations locally. Certainly going to speed things up.
    How effective is it compared with double jabs?
  • Options
    Anyone know 
    We’ll never reach herd immunity for Covid.
  • Options
    Re herd immunity, the problem here is that virtually nobody under 18 has had the vaccine and the kids all mix at school, and are often asymptomatic... It spreads like wildfire until all kids either have had it or are vaccinated. If the kids get it there's a chance it will spread to parents etc.
  • Options
    The plan here in Spain is to give all Secondary students the vaccine in September when they return to school. Makes sense and hopefully that way the schools will stay open and cases remain low.
  • Options
    Just moved my 2nd vaccine (and my wife's) forward from 19th August to 29th July. A few friends have done the same.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Just moved my 2nd vaccine (and my wife's) forward from 19th August to 29th July. A few friends have done the same.
    Lots doing that moving them forward.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    How many weeks after first jab is that @Scoham ? Best to leave it minimum of eight weeks.
  • Options
    I'm sure I read somewhere that no second jabs should be given before 8 weeks.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    How many weeks after first jab is that @Scoham ? Best to leave it minimum of eight weeks.
    Eight weeks for mine, it's the minimum the system allows.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I don’t think you can actually move it to less than either weeks on the website. If you want it sooner than 8 weeks your only option is to rock up to a walk in clinic.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know 
    Same as the flu then.
    We just have to live with it
  • Options
    Pop-up vaccines latest

Plumstead

• Days and times: Wednesday 7 July, Thursday 8 July, Friday 9 July 9am – 6pm
      (closed 1-2pm)
    • Booking information: no booking required, this is a walk-in clinic offering first and second doses.
    • Further information: Pfizer vaccine. You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number. Second doses will only be offered if it is at least eight weeks since the first dose.

Deptford/Greenwich West

• Location: The Wallace Health Centre, Clarence Rd, London SE8 3BX
    • Day and time: Friday 9 July 10am – 4pm
    • Booking information: no booking required, this is a walk-in clinic offering first and second doses.
    • Further information: Pfizer vaccine. You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number. Second doses will only be offered if it is at least eight weeks since the first dose.

Greenwich Peninsula

The Den, Millwall Football Club

• Location: Millwall Football Club, The Den, Zampa Road, London, SE16 3LN
    • Day and time: Saturday, 10 July, 8am – 8pm
    • Booking information: Walk-ins allowed, but we would advise booking to guarantee your place. Eventbrite booking link to follow.
    • Further information: This service is available for everyone aged over 18 who hasn’t had their first dose. The vaccine in use will be Pfizer. There will be no alternative vaccine available on the day.

Charlton Athletic Football Club

• Day and time: Tuesday 6 July, 8am to 8pm
    • Booking information: Walk-in, no appointment needed
    • Further information: This clinic is for anyone age 18 and over who lives in the borough of Greenwich. Pfizer vaccine only. You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number. Second doses will only be offered if it is at least eight weeks since the first dose.
    https://selondonccg.nhs.uk/what-we-do/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine/pop-up-clinics/
  • Options
    We live with the flu in so much as there are annual jabs and plenty of days missed through illness and excess deaths. The question of course is "what is the alternative?" which is the same that applies here. Hopefully, there are lesson learned about hygiene and staying at home if you are ill.
  • Options
    Anyone know 
    Same as the flu then.
    Covid-19 is a Corona virus. Flu is an influenza virus. Stating the obvious but not the same. Both are respiratory diseases but Corona viruses are more transmissible the influenza. An analysis of infection rates and outcomes indicates that COVID-19 is hazardous not only for the elderly but also for middle-aged adults, for whom a fatal COVID-19 infection is two orders of magnitude more likely than the annualized risk of a fatal automobile accident and far more dangerous than seasonal influenza.
  • Options
    Anyone know 
    Same as the flu then.
    Covid-19 is a Corona virus. Flu is an influenza virus. Stating the obvious but not the same. Both are respiratory diseases but Corona viruses are more transmissible the influenza. An analysis of infection rates and outcomes indicates that COVID-19 is hazardous not only for the elderly but also for middle-aged adults, for whom a fatal COVID-19 infection is two orders of magnitude more likely than the annualized risk of a fatal automobile accident and far more dangerous than seasonal influenza.
    I tried looking up figures for hospital admissions related to serious car accidents so I could get some perspective on my risk from Covid.

It's really difficult to compare because they are obviously not the same thing and affect different age groups. But my rough estimate is that around 50 - 70 people end up in hospital every day and 5 - 6 of them die as a result of traffic accidents. 

Currently around 5 - 10 times that number are suffering the same fate as a result of Covid. 
  • Options
    Vaccine pop-up clinics latest

Oaks Park Medical Centre

• Day and time: Saturday 10 July, 9-2pm
    • Booking information:  Book on 020 8175 0473.
    • Further information: Pfizer vaccine. For people aged 18 and above. You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number. Second doses will only be given if it is at least eight weeks since your first dose.

West Wickham & Shirley Baptist Church

• Day and time: Tuesday 13 July, 8.30-1pm
    • Booking information:  Walk-in, no appointment needed
    • Further information: AstraZeneca vaccine. For people aged 40 and above. You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number. Second doses will only be given if it is at least eight weeks since your first dose.

Plumstead

• Days and times: Friday 9 July 9am – 6pm (closed 1-2pm)

Deptford/Greenwich West

• Location: The Wallace Health Centre, Clarence Rd, London SE8 3BX
    • Day and time: Friday 9 July 10am – 4pm

Greenwich Peninsula

The Oval, Surrey County Cricket Club

• Location: The Kia Oval, Surrey County Cricket Club, Kennington, SE11 5SS
    • Day and time: Saturday 17 July, 9am – 8pm
    • Booking information: Walk-in and appointments.
    • Further information: This service is available for everyone aged over 18. This clinic will be providing first doses and second doses of Pfizer and Astrazeneca for anyone who had their first dose at least 8 weeks ago.

No proof of address, NHS number or immigration status required.
  • Options
    It is probably a good idea to try not to catch Covid or the Flu. 
  • Options
    Pop - up vaccine clinics latest

Bromley Civic Centre

• Day and time: Monday to Sunday, 8.30-5pm
    • Booking information:  Book on the National Booking System or walk-in. Find your NHS number here. We recommend to book in advance. A walk-in service will be available but booked appointments will have priority.

Pfizer vaccine – First dose only. Over 18 = 9-15 July, 21-24 July, 27-31 July, 3-8 August, 10-15 August, 17-31 August, 1-26 September

Astra Zeneca vaccine – First and second dose. Over 40 = 16-20 July, 25-26 July, 1-2 August, 9 August
    • Proof of age may be requested. You do not need proof of address or immigration status. Second doses will only be given if it is at least eight weeks since your first dose.

Bexley Civic Centre

• Location: Bexley Civic Offices, 2 Watling St, Bexleyheath, DA6 7AT
    • Day and time: Monday 12 July – Thursday 15 July, at the following times:
      Monday, 10am –2pm
      Tuesday, 10am – 2pm, 3:30-7:30pm
      Wednesday, 10am – 2pm, 3:30-7:30pm
      Thursday, 10am – 2pm
    • Booking information: Walk-in, no appointment needed.
    • Further information: First and second dose Pfizer available. Second doses will only be given if it is at least eight weeks since your first dose. 

Woolwich Riverside

• Location: Outside Clockhouse Community Centre, London SE18 5QL
    • Day and time: Tuesday 13 July, 10am – 4pm
    • Further information: Pfizer vaccine only. You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number. Second doses will only be offered if it is at least eight weeks since the first dose.
  • Options
    Whole family over the weekend have tested positive for covid
    3 out of 4 of us have been double jabbed while my boy is only 14 so no jabs for him.
    can say the experience is still not very pleasant only my daughter seems to escaped not really feeling to bad, all I’m saying you still don’t want to catch it even if your double jabbed and it keeps you out of hospital
  • Options
    Justafan said:
    Whole family over the weekend have tested positive for covid
    3 out of 4 of us have been double jabbed while my boy is only 14 so no jabs for him.
    can say the experience is still not very pleasant only my daughter seems to escaped not really feeling to bad, all I’m saying you still don’t want to catch it even if your double jabbed and it keeps you out of hospital
    Do you know which variant?