Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vaccine

Comments

• Options

Why you shouldn't get a second Covid jab too early

Prof. Anthony Harnden is on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation and he advises the government on the vaccine rollout.

He says: "The data suggests very strongly that the longer you leave that second dose, the better longer term protection you will have.

"There is a sort of sweet spot from about eight weeks onwards, and we wouldn't advise anybody to really have the second dose before then."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-57682233

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    From Clives I go this place is offering second jabs - it’s been less than 8 weeks than my first, so you think they’ll give me the second if I rock up?

“Coldharbour, Greenwich

• Location: William Barefoot Drive, Coldharbour Estate London, SE9 3JD
    • Day and time  : Friday 2 July, 10am – 4pm
    • Booking information: no booking required, this is a walk-in clinic offering first and second doses.
    • Further information: Pfizer vaccine only. You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number.”

I think so. I had my second yesterday after only 5 weeks and know of someone who got their second at the valley walk in after only 4. 
    Ok, might give it a shot (get it). Will it matter that I already have a second jab booked?

Edit - sorry for treating you like the oracle on this subject!
    aha no problem. It won't matter no, I doubt they'll even ask. Might be worth cancelling it once you've had your second though as it'll free up a slot
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Just when you thought it couldn't get even more complicated

European holidays could be off i to 5m Britons given Indian-made AstraZeneca jab

The jab, quietly authorised in the UK in February, is not yet approved in Europe or recognised under EU’s new vaccine passport scheme

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/eu-vaccine-passport-excludes-5m-britons-given-indian-made-astrazeneca/

I’ve had a jab from one of those batches. Not happy.
    How can you tell?
    Me too. I am not worried about the effectiveness though. Although it seems Spain (as well as Germany surprisingly) on the list of those who will recognise

You can tell from the batch number - Those who were given the Covishield jab will have the numbers 4120Z001, 4120Z002 or 4120Z003
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

European holidays could be off i to 5m Britons given Indian-made AstraZeneca jab

The jab, quietly authorised in the UK in February, is not yet approved in Europe or recognised under EU’s new vaccine passport scheme

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/eu-vaccine-passport-excludes-5m-britons-given-indian-made-astrazeneca/

How can you tell?
    Me too. I am not worried about the effectiveness though. Although it seems Spain (as well as Germany surprisingly) on the list of those who will recognise

You can tell from the batch number - Those who were given the Covishield jab will have the numbers 4120Z001, 4120Z002 or 4120Z003
    Thanks 
  • Options
    clive said:

Prof. Anthony Harnden is on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation and he advises the government on the vaccine rollout.

He says: "The data suggests very strongly that the longer you leave that second dose, the better longer term protection you will have.

"There is a sort of sweet spot from about eight weeks onwards, and we wouldn't advise anybody to really have the second dose before then."

Always thought they said a longer gap between doses boosted antibody levels but resulted in lower t-cell response and vice versa for a shorter gap.
  • Options

Its weird because I'd been led to believe that the approval was for the vaccine - effectively its formula and that it should make a difference where it is produced. I wonder if this is the EMA being weird about AZ again given that for the last 20 odd years something like 65% of all vaccines have been produced in india so it would be weird to suddenly get an issue with it now. India has all of the biggest vaccine production facilities in the world.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    clive said:

Always thought they said a longer gap between doses boosted antibody levels but resulted in lower t-cell response and vice versa for a shorter gap.
    There's a pop up vaccine centre at Staffs Uni on Saturday - first and second jabs of Pfizer and AZ - seconds jabs for Pfizer as long as three weeks since the first and AZ as long as 4 weeks.
  • Options

Checked this morning and I didn't have it from those batch numbers. I would be seriously pissed off if I had.
  • Options
    How do you find out what batch you had?
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    stonemuse said:

How can you tell?
    because the batch number is on my Vaccine Passport on the NHS App. Also, but I have not checked yet, the batch number should be on the little card they gave you when vaccinated. As @bobmunro says I'm a bit pissed off but I'm hoping that they will now apply for a licence or things will change so that AstraZeneca doses wherever manufactured are accepted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks Large. Just seen it's on the card they give you also. 

• Options

Its weird because I'd been led to believe that the approval was for the vaccine - effectively its formula and that it should make a difference where it is produced. I wonder if this is the EMA being weird about AZ again given that for the last 20 odd years something like 65% of all vaccines have been produced in india so it would be weird to suddenly get an issue with it now. India has all of the biggest vaccine production facilities in the world.
    I suspect it is just the EU being awkward again. There doesn't appear to be any concern about the effectiveness just that it hasn't been registered with the EMA (yet).

Various countries, including Germany (surprisingly?) and Spain indicating they will still accept it. The EU's vaccine programme leaves a lot to be desired so combined with Brexit, there's a lot of political grandstanding
  • Options
    clive said:

Vaccinations in London Care Homes

NHS statistics from 777 care homes in London that have reported data shows:

• Total number of residents in London's care homes is 22,825, the lowest of any region in England,
    • They have 35,181 staff members
    • 21,291 (93%) of residents and 26,904 (77%) staff members have had at least a first dose of the vaccine by 13 June
    • 343 care homes have reported 80% of staff and 90% of residents have had 1st dose (44%), while 179 care homes have had the second dose (23%)
    • 54% of homes have 80% of staff that have had the first dose
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-57573142
    Chart showing care home staff vaccination rates in England
    I’m staggered by those figures. I have no idea why this is so poor. Care home staff are poorly paid and there are a lot of immigrant workers filling those caring roles. We know that uptake of vaccine is lower among some ethnic groups but I wasn’t aware that young Eastern European workers who fill many of the care jobs were vaccine sceptic. This really needs to be addressed. Or is there another reason ? 
    There may be lots of reasons.  One is the age of care home staff, 65% of whom are in their forties or younger.  Across England, the graph above shows that 2 in 4 care homes have at least 80% of staff fully vaccinated and at least 90% of residents fully vaccinated.  That's probably not very far from the average across the wider population, where 'only' (I use that word with care) 63% of the adult population is fully vaccinated. 

In the wider population, where there is a higher percentage of older people, it's always likely that there will be more fully vaccinated than in a work environment.  And that disparity will be wider in occupations with a high percentage of younger workers (as in care homes).  

The 60% of care homes which fall outside this category will comprise three types of care home.  1 where fewer than 4 in 5 staff have been fully vaccinated. 2 where fewer than 9 in 10 residents have been vaccinated.  And 3 where both of these conditions exist.  

So, in categories 2 and 3, simply vaccinating more care home staff will not make a difference to whether a care home moves into this arbitrary 'protected' class. That's a long-winded way of saying that it doesn't matter how many staff are jabbed if more than 10% of the residents are not jabbed - by this measure, the home remains 'unprotected'.

It would be interesting to see how may residents are 'protected' by this measure.  That is, how many care home residents are included in the 40%.  Because, in many cases, a home may never be able to reach the target simply because some of the residents can't be jabbed.  For example, any home with fewer than 10 residents will fail to be 'protected' if just one of their residents is unable (or unwilling) to be jabbed.  In these cases, it doesn't matter who the care home staff are, what age they are, or where they come from: that home can't be 'protected'. 

Maybe the graph would be much more helpful if it were split in two, to show the proportion of homes where 80%+ of the staff are fully vaccinated and, separately, where 90%+ of the residents are fully vaccinated.  
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Checked this morning and I didn't have it from those batch numbers. I would be seriously pissed off if I had.
    My 2nd jab is listed.
    Luckily I have zero plans to travel abroad until all this uncertainty ends.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

My 2nd jab is listed.
    Luckily I have zero plans to travel abroad until all this uncertainty ends.
    Hopefully it'll all be sorted before our Europa League debut following this forthcoming season's FA Cup win.
  • Options
    My son caught it watching the football outside in a Bournemouth pub with some friends. His uni mate told him he was positive and my son did the test and he too was positive. 
    Was his mate at the pub already knowing he was positive?
  • Options
    Pop-up vaccine clinics latest

Guy’s Hospital

• Location: Burfoot Court Room, Counting House at Guy’s Hospital, Great Maze Pond, London SE1 9RT (view Site Map)
    • Day and time: Monday to Sunday, 8am to 7pm
    • Booking information: Walk-in, no appointment needed
    • Further information: This clinic is for anyone age 18 and over. The Pfizer and Astrazeneca vaccines are available at this clinic.

Second doses are available for people age 40 and older who had their first dose at least eight weeks ago, and for people under 40 who had their first dose 12 weeks ago.

You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number.

St Thomas’ Hospital

• Location: Gassiot House at St Thomas’ Hospital, Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7EH (view Site Map)
    • Day and time: Monday to Sunday, 8am to 7pm
    • Booking information: Walk-in, no appointment needed.
    • Further information: This clinic is for anyone age 18 and over. The Pfizer vaccine is available at this clinic.

Second doses are available for people age 40 and older who had their first dose at least eight weeks ago, and for people under 40 who had their first dose 12 weeks ago.

You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number.

Montgomery Hall, Kennington

• Dates and times
      Friday 2 July, 12 to 8pm – Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Saturday 3 July, 9am to 5pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Sunday 4 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over- Astrazeneca
      Monday 5 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Tuesday 6 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Wednesday 7 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 18 and over – Pfizer
      Thursday 8 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Friday 9 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Saturday 10 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Sunday 11 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Monday 12 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Tuesday 13 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Wednesday 14 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 18 and over – Pfizer
      Thursday 15 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Friday 16 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Saturday 17 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 18 and over – Pfizer
      Sunday 18 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Monday 19 July, 12 to 8pm – Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
    • Walk-in, no appointment needed. First doses or second doses after 8-week interval if aged over 40, 12 weeks if under 40. A booked appointment clinic will be running at the same time.
      No proof of address, NHS number or immigration status required.
    https://selondonccg.nhs.uk/what-we-do/covid-19/covid-19-vaccine/pop-up-clinics/
  • Options

This is just the EU directive, member states can accept people with indian vacine if they wish. the irony is the EU have been sending Indian made vacines to Africa.
  • Options

Concerns that millions of Britons who have received Indian-made jabs could be restricted from travel in the European Union have been downplayed.

The bloc's passport scheme does not recognise doses of the AstraZeneca jab produced by the Serum Institute of India - known as Covishield.

India is seeking emergency authorisation from Europe for the Covishield jab, according to sources.

Several European countries have already approved the Covishield jab for travel. These include Austria, Germany, Slovenia, Greece, Ireland, Spain, Iceland and Switzerland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57695835

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    From Clives I go this place is offering second jabs - it’s been less than 8 weeks than my first, so you think they’ll give me the second if I rock up?

“Coldharbour, Greenwich

• Booking information: no booking required, this is a walk-in clinic offering first and second doses.
    • Further information: Pfizer vaccine only. You do not need proof of address, immigration status, ID or an NHS number.”

I think so. I had my second yesterday after only 5 weeks and know of someone who got their second at the valley walk in after only 4. 
    Ok, might give it a shot (get it). Will it matter that I already have a second jab booked?

aha no problem. It won't matter no, I doubt they'll even ask. Might be worth cancelling it once you've had your second though as it'll free up a slot
    This was a waste of time, traipsed over to Eltham (from Peckham) and they’d run out of vaccine when I got there!

Think it was being run/supported by the Charlton Community trust as there were lots of staff members wearing Charlton shirts.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

“Coldharbour, Greenwich

This was a waste of time, traipsed over to Eltham (from Peckham) and they’d run out of vaccine when I got there!

Think it was being run/supported by the Charlton Community trust as there were lots of staff members wearing Charlton shirts.
    This location may be better for you

Montgomery Hall, Kennington

• Dates and times
      Friday 2 July, 12 to 8pm – Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Saturday 3 July, 9am to 5pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Sunday 4 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over- Astrazeneca
      Monday 5 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Tuesday 6 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Wednesday 7 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 18 and over – Pfizer
      Thursday 8 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Friday 9 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Saturday 10 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Sunday 11 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Monday 12 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Tuesday 13 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Wednesday 14 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 18 and over – Pfizer
      Thursday 15 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Friday 16 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Saturday 17 July, 9am to 5pm – Ages 18 and over – Pfizer
      Sunday 18 July, 12 to 8pm- Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
      Monday 19 July, 12 to 8pm – Ages 40 and over – Astrazeneca
    • Walk-in, no appointment needed. First doses or second doses after 8-week interval if aged over 40, 12 weeks if under 40. A booked appointment clinic will be running at the same time.
      No proof of address, NHS number or immigration status required.
  • Options
    Thanks @clive
  • Options
    se9addick said:

“Coldharbour, Greenwich

As it's Pfizer, the initial clinical trials were doing the second dose after 4 weeks, so if you're beyond that point then it might be worth giving it a go if you're not having to go too far out of your way.
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Finally had my first jab this morning. It was Sinopharm. My hand (surprisingly not my arm) felt a little numb twenty minutes after I had the vaccine. I was a bit worried but thankfully the numbing feeling went away gradually. Now 10 hours later I feel a bit tired. All is fine. I'm told I'll have to wait at least 21 days for my second jab.
    Nice one, @jessie.  How are things in the Middle Kingdom now re covid?
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    Finally had my first jab this morning. It was Sinopharm. My hand (surprisingly not my arm) felt a little numb twenty minutes after I had the vaccine. I was a bit worried but thankfully the numbing feeling went away gradually. Now 10 hours later I feel a bit tired. All is fine. I'm told I'll have to wait at least 21 days for my second jab.
    Nice one, @jessie.  How are things in the Middle Kingdom now re covid?
    Cases started to appear in one province two months ago then people all around the country realised the importance of vaccination. Now the situation seems to be under control with no/very few new cases each day apart from some imported ones.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

NHS England said national guidance has been clarified amid anecdotal reports that some people have been offered a second dose as early as four weeks after their first jab.

In an update to its green book advice for public health professionals on Thursday, Public Health England said a gap of at least eight weeks should be used - with the main exception being for those about to commence immunosuppressive treatment.

An NHS spokesperson said: "Every site should vaccinate in line with clinical guidance, which says second doses should take place between eight and 12 weeks after the first."

• Options
    A friend told me her son got COVID last week.  The worrying thing is, this is the second time he's had it.
    Different variant I assume?