Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if any of the players have been practising their crying, for when we get knocked out on pens.  ;)
    too busy practicing their acting for the pizza hut advert.

• Options
    Apparently Southgate has been quoted on saying he doesn’t see a team where Mount, Foden and Grealish all start.

WHY????
  • Options
    Apparently Southgate has been quoted on saying he doesn’t see a team where Mount, Foden and Grealish all start.

WHY????
    Because everyone knows the way to win a tournament is to play those players that are bang out of form. Wouldn't surprise me if he started Phillips too.
  • Options

WHY????
    Because its his style to play with two deeper midfielders, and he also won't drop both Sterling and Rashford.

It'll be something like:

Bellingham/Henderson, Rice, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Foden.

Grealish as an impact sub.

Wouldn't be too bad if it's Bellingham as I rate him, but I'd rather Grealish than Sterling, he's in much, much better form.

I'd prefer Sancho to Sterling too.
  • Options
    I'd be starting White to be honest, I've wanted him called up since his loan spell with Leeds. Excellent player and should start vs Croatia. (I don't expect him to for one minute)
    I wouldn't disagree with that, he's been making the step up every year and albeit against weaker opposition, didn't look out of place in the friendlies. 
  • Options

WHY????
    Any manager that says that shouldn’t be near a national team.

Nice guy but don’t know how he’s qualified for the England job.
  • Options

WHY????
    Because its his style to play with two deeper midfielders, and he also won't drop both Sterling and Rashford.

It'll be something like:

Bellingham/Henderson, Rice, Mount
    Sterling, Kane, Foden.

Grealish as an impact sub.

Wouldn't be too bad if it's Bellingham as I rate him, but I'd rather Grealish than Sterling, he's in much, much better form.

I'd prefer Sancho to Sterling too.
    He could play 4231 and fit those in though. Although most want Mount as one of the two so you can have two of Grealish and Foden, and still have room for Sterling/Rashford. 

I do think your team is accurate though, he wont go 4231 with 4 attacking players, he'll go 433 (if not 541) with 3 attacking players max. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Laddick01 said:

WHY????
    Any manager that says that shouldn’t be near a national team.

Nice guy but don’t know how he’s qualified for the England job.
    I’d like us to play with a bit of pace out wide against sides like Portugal or Spain, who can be stretched. But I can’t see the teams in our group giving us any room in behind, it’ll all be in front. So Foden and Grealish are the type of players that can do that and still makes things happen. I don’t wanna watch Rashford and Sterling being disposed or going backwards the whole time. It what worries me with Southgate, I think he’s too one dimensional.
  • Options
    You simply can't pick Sterling based on recent form. Hope I regret posting this but would not have picked him in the 26 ahead of JWP or even Lingard. Sterling is great at his best, currently he's way off that. Grealish to start for me, and Chilwell ahead of Shaw. 
  • Options

Reasons to be hopeful for the Euros:

In Harry Kane we have a genuinely world class striker, one of the best players in the world is an England striker, thats pretty exciting.

Grealish is a joy to watch, if he plays regularly (surely he has to) then he’ll have no problem playing the top international sides, with a potentially tricky last 16 game he could be the difference. Foden/Mount/Bellingham are also exciting excellent players and in coming into this in good form.

Lots of talk about too many RBs etc, but its good to have lots of options at full back. We also don’t have to listen to the tedious Trent debate on social media now he’s injured.

Reasons to be not so hopeful: 

CB looks very very dodgy, from the outside it doesn’t look like Maguire is going to be properly fit, a half fit Maguire starting a knockout game could end in tears. No problem with Stones, but Mings looks a liability, Coady isn’t interentional standard, and Ben White didn’t even make the cut of the first squad. I would go White myself, but its a slight risk. Pickford’s done well for England but he makes me so nervous and hasn’t had a great season at Everton. 

Last 16 draw is likely to be one of France, Portugal and Germany. Against all those teams its pretty close to a 50/50 in my opinion. I also suspect Southgate might persist with Sterling and Rashford as well which would be a shame. 

It is amazing how a bit of a loss of form and nobody mentions Sterling who would have probably got into any country's eleven a few months back. He isn't injured and is a supremely talented player. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is interesting to read what is being said on here along with media channels re the best England starting 11. Most seem to be in favour of Mount, Foden & Grealish  starting myself included. However most people are suspecting it will be Mount, Rashford and Sterling. If that is the starting line up and we fail to win I really wouldnt want to be Southgate trying to justify his selection policies.

Imo there is no way Southgate can not start Grealish he is one of the few England players that looks likely to create something whenever he is on the ball. Mount offers alot going foward and is miles ahead of either Sterling or Rashford in terms of covering defence. Foden will always create chance and can also score goals. In my mind there is no chance these 3 should not be starting. We will see come Saturday
  • Options

WHY????
    He will soon change his tune when we are 1-0 in the 2nd round. 
  • Options
    Grealish has got 7 caps for England (starting 6 of them) and i'm sure he's been our MOTM in every one of those 6. 

Madness if Southgate chooses to start Rashford or Sterling over him. Even Rashford himself said this about Grealish "We will win more games with him in the team"
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I do really like Southgate. An intelligent man. 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Well that was unexpected. Brilliant piece of writing. 
  • Options
    I'd hate to break it to you guys but I doubt that's purely his own writing. 
  • Options
    It’s still a superb piece to read, whether or not Southgate wrote every line. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It is a brilliant read and says all of the right things. No doubting he is a nice bloke. Hopefully he doesnt have to write something equally compelling to justify his team selections that are coming up 😁
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    You may be right of course, but Southgate is well known to be a highly intelligent person who is well educated and literate.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the only input from anyone else is from Southgate (sensibly) handing it over to someone to check for errors and approve for publishing.
  • Options

Very funny. No surrender to the bourgeoisie!

Makes some good points too. You can be sure a lot of the boo-ers who don't want to see politics in football are the same ones who sing no surrender and sing about the war.
  • Options

Exclusive: Gareth Southgate could start four full-backs in Euro 2021 opener with Luke Shaw at centre-back

The England manager would likely deploy Shaw in that role if he switches to three at the back, though nothing has been decided yet

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/euro-2021/2021/06/09/exclusive-gareth-southgate-could-start-four-full-backs-euro/

Seems like Southgate wants our defense to be like this against Croatia: 

Pickford

Walker - Stones - Shaw 

James                                            Chilwell

This is going to be a very long tournament with Southgate in charge. Such a conservative manager. 

• Options
    That’s a wind up surely 
  • Options
    That’s a wind up surely 
    Not really. I thought we would play a back 5 against Croatia. Mings is terrible. Thus we don’t have any natural LCB to replace Mings. Thus Shaw is second best option.
  • Options
    That’s a wind up surely 
    It's not what I would have gone with but I can understand the logic. If Southgate goes with it, you have to question why White, Mings and Coady are all in the squad though. 
  • Options
    That’s a wind up surely 
    It's not what I would have gone with but I can understand the logic. If Southgate goes with it, you have to question why White, Mings and Coady are all in the squad though. 
    Exactly, why call up White if he's going to be behind two full-backs in the CB position? 
  • Options
    If true its ridiculous. Someone said earlier Southgate looks at a game and says " how can I try not too lose" when he should be saying "how can i win this game" sure if he want put Rice and another defensive midfield player in front to shore up the defence, but the play the creative youngsters up front and tell them to rip the other team a new one. It wont happen though if he starts Mount and Foden in games I would bet that they pass more sideways and backwards passes in this tournament than they have all season combined
  • Options
    That’s a wind up surely 
    Exactly, why call up White if he's going to be behind two full-backs in the CB position? 
    Agreed, Maguire not being fit leaves us with an issue, but Southgate must surely have either been planning this or Mings' performance put him off. Either way, if we play 1 CB in a back 3 when we have 4 fit ones in the squad it's ludicrous.