Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    Sensible decision to take White, I can't see JWP getting a game ahead of the other midfielders we have already in the squad 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Ben White has come up on the rails because Ming's is an accident waiting to happen,Maguire is a major doubt for the group stages, Cody is ok but not convinced he is England class, and Stones is well the Quintessential academy taught  defender who is instructed  to always dribble or play one two around his own area. John Stones is gifted on the ball at times but he does own the Copy write on cock ups from being caught in possession. At City you go and sit on the naughty step if you ever put your laces through a ball in your own area. 

Ben White can play  as a CB, in a 4 or 3, full back LOL ! Or more importantly play the defensive midfield role if  Rice has a knock.

I went for Ward-Prowse as 26 man, but I can understand White getting the nod in the circumstances. 

Because of the Covid 16 months we have had, how many of the contenders will be at their peak performance after the packed fixture list ? So maybe we can cover up our CB weaknesses ?

Ps. Ben White is in the small minority of players who get a full England cap when he had never played at any of the levels from Schoolboys up to U21.
  • Options
    I can understand White getting the nod too but hopefully with a view to him being part of a 4-3-3.
  • Options
    Ben White impressed in the two games, wouldn't have had him in the 26 but fair play, he came in and took his chance. Versatile and with the concerns over Maguire it makes sense to me. Henderson made his comeback yesterday, there's always a chance he'll break down but despite his lack of action over the last few months, he's clearly fitter than Maguire right now. With Rice, Phillips, Henderson and Bellingham, I don't see the need for JWP if Southgate is convinced Henderson can play his part. 
  • Options
    JWP gives you set piece options that could be useful from the bench but Southgate can't pick everyone.
  • Options
    JWP has excellent set piece delivery but I’d be pretty fucked off if the other 26 can’t take a decent free kick or corner….
  • Options
    You are talking about decent or one of the best in the case of JWP. Some would argue he is the best at this aspect and if we are having difficulties in a game, this may be a good option. But so might be something else.
  • Options
    JWP has excellent set piece delivery but I’d be pretty fucked off if the other 26 can’t take a decent free kick or corner….

Good point Gary, but I would prefer Pickford not to take Corners  :o
  • Options
    Personally feel Ben White needed to go and Maguire dropped due to fitness. If he cant play 3 games then why take him? JWP instead for me. 

Think JWP should feel a bit gutted as he plays consistently well but the CM options are pretty good!

Henderson looked okay in 45 minutes fitness wise and I am sure he will contribute...just not taking the penalties!! 

Need a higher tempo though going forward, really put teams under pressure and force the mistakes. 

Think Southgates contract is up end of the tournament and personally I would like to see him leave at the end, regardless of the outcome. 

Hes came in and done well developing younger players but it needs someone to come in now and really push them on.
  • Options
    I don't know who Ben White is, but he's got to be better than (disaster waiting to happen) Maguire!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Personally feel Ben White needed to go and Maguire dropped due to fitness. If he cant play 3 games then why take him? JWP instead for me. 

Think JWP should feel a bit gutted as he plays consistently well but the CM options are pretty good!

Henderson looked okay in 45 minutes fitness wise and I am sure he will contribute...just not taking the penalties!! 

Need a higher tempo though going forward, really put teams under pressure and force the mistakes. 

Think Southgates contract is up end of the tournament and personally I would like to see him leave at the end, regardless of the outcome. 

Hes came in and done well developing younger players but it needs someone to come in now and really push them on.
    If he wins it that would be a bit harsh.
  • Options
    I don't know who Ben White is, but he's got to be better than (disaster waiting to happen) Maguire!

He scored a volley against us from the edge of the box for Leeds as we got relegated from the championship.
  • Options
    I'm not say either way if it would be a good appointment but I think the reason Howe hasnt gone anywhere yet is he is inline for the job should Southgate leave
  • Options
    the only way 'yes man' Southgate is leaving the Eng job is if we fail to make it out the group
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    the only way 'yes man' Southgate is leaving the Eng job is if we fail to make it out the group
    Hundred percent. Especially as we are about 18 months of Qatar 2022. The fact we will come against Portugal, France or Germany in last 16 probably saves from not reaching semi final etc. Southgate is as safe as any England manager in history. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure in today's international game what a yes man manager is. Yes, Brian Clough would have told the FA what to do, but the current England manager's job is about picking the best team to win a tournament. Who does he say yes or indeed no to?
  • Options
    I don’t rate Mings, he’s a ball watcher.
  • Options
    Croatia only lost 1-0 to Belgium yesterday so it is likely to be a tough game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They are adults. They don't have to take the knee. Southgate's talking as if people are booing children. 

Also, we could equally argue that we're more determined to boo.
    @jimmymelrose Are you including yourself in that "we"?
    It might depend on my mood on the day and if someone like Southgate is talking such nonsense. He should concentrate on the football.

I agree that black lives matter but I am against the movement called 'Black Lives Matter.'

Booing only gives fuel to those who accuse those against it as being racist, so I would probably turn my back to the pitch.
  • Options

If he wins it that would be a bit harsh.
    Case for that but this team is full of very talented young players who need taking to that next level. As I said, he has done well blooding them and has done a good job overall.

A more attack minded manager wouldnt go amiss to make use of the talent at our disposal.  
  • Options
    Even so, you can't sack him if he wins it. :)
  • Options
    In all fairness, I didnt say he should be sacked only that he doesn't renew his deal to make potentially make way for someone to kick on with the team. Think he hinted from the off he may not renew his deal. 
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:

He scored a volley against us from the edge of the box for Leeds as we got relegated from the championship.
    Less than a year ago. His rise to the top has been very impressive, really helped by the loan system

2017/18 - on loan in L2 with Newport
    2018/19 - on loan in L1 with Peterborough
    2019/20 - on loan in the Championship with Leeds
    2020/21 - PL with Brighton
    Summer 21 - England squad for the Euros
  • Options

Reasons to be hopeful for the Euros:

In Harry Kane we have a genuinely world class striker, one of the best players in the world is an England striker, thats pretty exciting.

Grealish is a joy to watch, if he plays regularly (surely he has to) then he’ll have no problem playing the top international sides, with a potentially tricky last 16 game he could be the difference. Foden/Mount/Bellingham are also exciting excellent players and in coming into this in good form.

Lots of talk about too many RBs etc, but its good to have lots of options at full back. We also don’t have to listen to the tedious Trent debate on social media now he’s injured.

Reasons to be not so hopeful: 

CB looks very very dodgy, from the outside it doesn’t look like Maguire is going to be properly fit, a half fit Maguire starting a knockout game could end in tears. No problem with Stones, but Mings looks a liability, Coady isn’t interentional standard, and Ben White didn’t even make the cut of the first squad. I would go White myself, but its a slight risk. Pickford’s done well for England but he makes me so nervous and hasn’t had a great season at Everton. 

Last 16 draw is likely to be one of France, Portugal and Germany. Against all those teams its pretty close to a 50/50 in my opinion. I also suspect Southgate might persist with Sterling and Rashford as well which would be a shame. 

• Options
    I'd be starting White to be honest, I've wanted him called up since his loan spell with Leeds. Excellent player and should start vs Croatia. (I don't expect him to for one minute)
  • Options
    I wonder if any of the players have been practising their crying, for when we get knocked out on pens.  ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I'd be starting White to be honest, I've wanted him called up since his loan spell with Leeds. Excellent player and should start vs Croatia. (I don't expect him to for one minute)
    I think he could - Maguire won't be fit, Mings was poor last night and Coady is better in a 3.

If we play 4 at the back, White & Stones is probably the best choice.

We'll probably play Mings though.