Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• Options
    What did we learn from today: Grealish should start (He probably won't), Mings probably shouldn't start (He probably will). Henderson was out of order taking the penalty kick and Southgate needs to clarify the penalty takers (maybe he will). Also players who will not even be taking part in the competition got good gametime. Finally, some England supporters are complete blanks. It has been explained why they take the knee, don't boo your own team for doing so. 
  • Options
    Why does Sancho always look bang average for England!?

Henderson clearly isn’t fit, JWP should go in his place
    We should have made 2 of the extra 3 players back up for Maguire and Henderson if taking them.

We can correct one now at least with an extra CB or JWP.

I'm not sure about going into the tournament with our centre backs being Stones, Maguire who's not fit, Mings who is poor, and Coady who is used to a back 3.

Almost forces us towards 3 at the back when I'd rather we stuck to 433.
  • Options
    Why does Sancho always look bang average for England!?

Henderson clearly isn’t fit, JWP should go in his place
    We should have made 2 of the extra 3 players back up for Maguire and Henderson if taking them.

We can correct one now at least with an extra CB or JWP.

I'm not sure about going into the tournament with our centre backs being Stones, Maguire who's not fit, Mings who is poor, and Coady who is used to a back 3.

Almost forces us towards 3 at the back when I'd rather we stuck to 433.
    4-3-3 has to be the way to go. If Southgate drops Grealish to accommodate a back three he can join the illustrious list of useless England managers.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    I just want a Grealish Mount Foden interchangeable front 3 

That would be filthy.
    Part of me worries that he's going to start with Rashford and Sterling alongside Kane.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

That would be filthy.
    Part of me worries that he's going to start with Rashford and Sterling alongside Kane.
    He can’t honestly believe that is our best option. Both are shockingly out of form.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    We were always the better team and we got the win, but it has to be said the most exciting thing about hat match was seeing Chris Powell on the bench.
    Should have brought him on for Shaw instead of Trippier...
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Laddick01 said:

That would be filthy.
    That doesn't worry me even if it might not be how I would go. I think Kane and two others where there are good options is not an issue and can be changed if it isn't working. I'd love to see Grealish, Mount and Foden, but it is too attacking. You need to have a holding spot for Henderson or Rice. Grealish would be a definite starter for me though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Game for Croatia: 

Pickford

James       Stones           Mings           Chilwell

Rice      Bellingham    Mount 

Foden                                            Grealish

Kane

Mings literally because we have no one else. 
  • Options
    Three right backs and he plays a centre half at right back.... just play Trippier ffs

Mings is minging.

Grealish won't start shamefully.  Mount, Rice, Bellingham should start.   I fear Calvin Phillips will instead of Bellingham.

Kane with I guess Sterling and Rashford unfortunately.
  • Options
    If Henderson was fitter, I'd put him in a centre half. But he isn't. You can get away with it more in internationals. Rice has played there for West Ham but has not looked good there I understand. Mings was poor today but again, we might get away with it. I'm not sure playing three at the back will help if you have to sacrifice key parts of your threat and it can still be subject to individual errors.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I don't understand why we picked 4 RBs but literally only have Mings, Coady and Stones as our fit CB options. 

Woeful management of the squad there. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure why it was decided the Champions League players couldn't play at least some part a week after their final. Stones could have had a half with a possible partner surely rather than throw it together cold! 
  • Options
    I don't necessarily blame southagte but it is all feeling very disjointed. Hopefully the first game with the full(ish) squad to pick from shows we have a plan, but if it all goes to shit I think you could easily make the case the signs are there already. Don't want to be a negative Nelly but not feeling too confident about what I've seen over the last week. 
  • Options
    I think it has been a bit shambolic. You want to see some of the team coming together for some of the last friendly at least. Not loads of players that won't even be in the squad. 
  • Options
    Game for Croatia: 

Pickford

Kane

I’d go with that. Although I’m starting to think maybe Walker alongside Stones would be better than Mings. Not sure we can afford an error in every game that Mings seems to present.
  • Options
    Has any other team been playing people who are not even in their squad?
  • Options
    I think we can see why Maguire is an important player. We have to accept centre half is a weakness and compensate offensively.
                             Pickford

Rice

Grealish       Mount 

Foden                                            Sterling

Kane

Rashford is a good player to bring on against tiring defenders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IMO sterling and rashford should not be starting given their form. So it's 2 from Sancho, foden, grealish. As much as foden + grealish are fantastic, I think it lacks pace to get in behind , so would start Sancho + Kane + foden or grealish in front three. 
  • Options
    Reckon we won’t see Grealish start against Croatia as we will play a back 5. I reckon he will come on against Croatia, make the difference and then he will be the main man for the rest of the tournament. My friend backed him to be player of the tournament at 75/1. Currently 40/1. If England win the tournament, Jack Grealish will be the star of it. World class player who could walk into any team in the world.
  • Options
    Grealish waa man of the match AGAIN
    Southgate cannot NOT pick him
    Surely.....
  • Options
    I think we can see why Maguire is an important player. We have to accept centre half is a weakness and compensate offensively.
                             Pickford

Rice

Grealish       Mount 

Foden                                            Sterling

Kane

Rashford is a good player to bring on against tiring defenders.

This is what I'd go for but put foden on the left and sancho in for sterling. I'd favour Shaw at left back as well but both are quality options.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Has any other team been playing people who are not even in their squad?
    I've not paid enough attention to the final squad, so while I knew Watkins, Ward-Prowse and Lingard hadn't made the cut, I hadn't realised that White and Godfrey also weren't in it, so that makes 3 starters and 2 subs today not in the squad

A bizarre match really, if Adkins in the final pre season match before the start of the season played a team which bore NO relation to the one we would actually play, people would be very confused. Yes the Champions League players need a rest, but if, for example the CB partnership for the Scotland game is Mings and Stones, surely they should have had some time together on the pitch today
  • Options
    Personally for me. 

Mings is a defender who relies a lot on his physical presence but needs to read the game better. 

If going with 3 at the back then for me Walker, Stones & Coady with Tripper and Shaw as wing backs. If Maguire isn't fit in time.  

Stones and Maguire at centre half if it's 4 at the back. 

I know 4-3-3 is the Plan A but wouldn't mind seeing a 4-2-3-1.

Kane
    Grealish, Mount, Foden
        Ward-Prowse, Rice 
    Shaw, Maguire, Stones, ??
                     Pickford 

With Foden and Grealish changing roaming the pitch and Mount given a free role to be a playmaker. 

For me RB is a hard one to call. 

And having Rashford, Sterling, Sancho, Bellingham to call off the bench is a luxury. 

I didn't understand Southgate's decision not to take Ward-Prowse, not only is he a world-class set piece taker, he is extremely fit not injury prone can hold his position or go box to box able to score/assist. Is captain of a premier League side with over 250 league apps and has previously captained the England U21's to success in a tournament.

Bellingham is a extremely talented youngster but I felt Henderson and Phillips being called over him is a gamble and bit harsh. 
  • Options
    Reckon we won’t see Grealish start against Croatia as we will play a back 5. I reckon he will come on against Croatia, make the difference and then he will be the main man for the rest of the tournament. My friend backed him to be player of the tournament at 75/1. Currently 40/1. If England win the tournament, Jack Grealish will be the star of it. World class player who could walk into any team in the world.
    In the semi-final against Croatia they pushed up on our wing-backs and we had absolutely no reply. So if we do start with 5-3-2, I hope we've sorted that out.
  • Options
    Game for Croatia: 

Pickford

Kane

Dan James has been terrible for Man U though... 
  • Options
    I'm fully expecting Southgate to pick Henderson and Rice (which is a bit like Bowyer picking Pratley and Watson) as he'll want to protect the defence, and I'm not expecting both Foden and Grealish to start (they should!).

Expecting a boring, pedestrian performance, the same as England have been for much too long.
  • Options
    Looks like White will be 26th man