Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January 2021

Comments

• Croydon said:
    Schwartz VP interview:

”extremely happy with first goal”
    ”we deserved more than one point, well we wanted more. Difficult game. We can’t concede 4 at home”
    ”I was told to be close to Chuks, he’s a handful. It was a great strike”
    Comes across well. Bit quick to mention that it's his GF, and not a wife, stuck in Denmark though 😂
    Yeah, thought that was a terrific interview 
        Who gives a fuck weather if has a Girlfriend or wife, he scored a great Goal and hopefully one of many, we should have won and been 4th.tonight
    once our defence returns we should improve.
    terrible Red Card from a shite referee 👎
  • Thought we should have won the game. Much better 2nd half so hopefully things can start to improve 
  • Bowyer VP interview:

”Disappointed. We’re at home against lower half team.”
    ”I look at the positives, after Friday and losing by 2 at half time today. They showed fire. Didn’t crumble. Give the players a lot of credit”
    ”should have won it at the end. disappointed with the point, but everything they hit first half went in.”
    “The boys kept fighting”
    ”Most important thing is he got 45 minutes and took his goal well” (regarding Schwartz)
    ”it’s a risk to give 90 minutes to Chuks but couldn’t take him off”
    ”Said to the ref, just because someone makes contact doesn’t make it a red card. It’s a 50/50. It’s not a yellow card. Just use common  sense. No win situation for Pearce. Would have been annoyed if he hadn’t gone for it.”
    ”we keep adapting. We’ll be fine. Get them ready for Saturday. Make sure 18 players are ready at the highest level”
  • Massive question mark over Bowyers selections and tactics. God only knows what he’s thinking. At 2 - 4 there was no alternative for him but to be more adventurous. We got out of jail with that. We have the personnel to get into the playoffs I think but LB needs to stop picking players out of position and go into matches looking to win. 
  • Bowyer taking well here. Measured and calm. 
  • 11 points in 11 games.  

During which the average place of a team played is 15th.

Played 4 of bottom 5 and beat just one of them. 

Not won in 5 games.

Let in 4 in one half v Rochdale.

Players out of position, injuries and suspensions.

I am more sad than mad. Just a dreadful run.

Fuck me, really dire when you put it like that.
  • Southbank said:
    So , next Saturday, Inniss, Famewo, Pratley, Watson, Pearce, Maddison, Doughty, Shinnie all out. 6 of them at least would be in our first team, so until these injuries are fixed or alternatives signed, hard to see us not struggling further.
    Smyth playing rwb was a wrong call  but the squad weakness is hard to overcome.
    Team this Sat:
    Amos
    Matthews, Gunter, Oshilaja, Maatsen
    Millar JFC, Morgan, Williams
    Aneke, Washington
    Subs MB, Purrington, Barker, Schwarz, Shinnie/Gilbey, Smyth, Bogle
    If Aneke starts on Saturday I'll be amazed!!
    Yup, surely he’ll be on the next Saturday. 
    Go with Bogle and Washington against Bristol Rovers, Ronnie and Chuks have set them the benchmark - Start the latter two against Peterborough next Tuesday night
    I know Aneke is made of glass but it's got to be as close as that second half team as possible for me.

Though I'd happily see Washington play alongside Schwarz, as though sometimes his final ball is a weakness I actually really rate his movement and physicality. 

Washington and Schwartz would be a good option... I sometimes hate seeing Aneke or Bogle up there as think its too tempting for the defence to just lump it up to them rather than keeping it down and playing clever Football

To be fair to both Aneke and Bogle, neither are lumps, both can play with the ball to feet, Bogle is just a tad slower with his brain
  • Saturdays defence is certainly going to look interesting...

Even when we brought it back to 4-4 we showed how much we need to have that enforcer type player in Midfield as whilst Forster-Caskey and Morgan did extremely well that second half there were still periods where a team (in relegation form) waltzed through them.

Still dont think Bowyer should go, we saw second half how he's not lost the dressing room. BUT mistakes like putting Smyth at RWB he has to take responsibility for - Yes I get it that we've got issues with the likes of our injury list but dont shoot yourself in the foot when you dont need to
    Fair play FA, I know you like to support the manager through thick and thin but that was a well balanced post. Definitely agree on the enforcer, we need Pratley there. 

Deji played decent again I thought. Normally a weird thing to say when you ship 4 but it was the right side of the defence that was the problem. 
  • You judge a decision when it's made not with hindsight, so given how bizarre the starting formation was I'd like to think Bow will be grilled at length by GR and TS on what basis it was chosen.  I hope for his sake his explanation is robust.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds like Bowyer’s taken a chill pill 
  • edited January 2021
    For the neutral that was definitely an entertaining game.

And Bowyer didn't dig anybody out after the game.
  • Bowyer out
    Bowyer in
    Bowyer out
    Bowyer in
  • se9addick said:
    Sounds like Bowyer’s taken a chill pill 
    To be fair that second half was the effort we all want to see from the players

My only complaint with Bowyer is he let Gilbey off the hook a little bit.

I dont have issue with him calling out players (maybe he's been told to cut it out, or the players have had an honest meeting with him) but I respected Bowyer more on Friday night for mentioning Maddison jumping out of a tackle because he did the same to Williams.

Just what was silly as again even I cant argue with it was the harsh comment about not caring about a player being injured - Hasnt Bowyer himself mentioned a story about getting injured early on for Leeds in his career which briefly damaged his eyesight (?) where I'm swear he said about his career being at risk so he should know how that must feel
  • Talal said:
    Think Oshilaja deserves some praise. That's two games now he's been decent and far better than Pearce. Given how his confidence could quite understandably have been very low I don't think we could've asked for much more. 
    Think him, JFC, and Chuks make for a very good spine along with Amos (who I thought let in a couple of ones he'll be disappointed with tonight but is overall a very good goalkeeper).
  • Sponsored links:

• Soon as Gilbey came off we looked 100x the team of the first half. Aneke brilliant, as was JFC and Schwartz showing what he's all about. Let's build on this next game. Play like we did second half and we will win a lot more than we lose. 
  • Are we in Jimmy Trotter territory again? Defence leaking like a sieve...but plenty of creative play and goals.

Good to claw back from 1-3 down to 4-4. As to why this is happening: the way the team is set up and the balance of the squad generally are a bit odd IMO. We've got 11 defenders who've played first team games this season so far, against 14 midfielders with another 3 out on loan. I'd rather it was the other way round...To have 17 midfielders at the club seems a few too too many, given the wage cap. Bowyer (and Jackson) were both midfielders themselves, so maybe that's their preference, but it leads to a lopsided composition of the side in some games. 

Didn't think anyone had a really poor game tonight, so, despite the result, scoring their performances will be a bit of a struggle.
  • Are we in Jimmy Trotter territory again? Defence leaking like a sieve...but plenty of creative play and goals.

Good to claw back from 1-3 down to 4-4. As to why this is happening: the way the team is set up and the balance of the squad generally are a bit odd IMO. We've got 11 defenders who've played first team games this season so far, against 14 midfielders with another 3 out on loan. I'd rather it was the other way round...To have 17 midfielders at the club seems too many, given the wage cap. Bowyer (and Jackson) were both midfielders themselves, so maybe that's their preference, but it leads to a lopsided composition of the side in some games. 

Didn't think anyone had a really poor game tonight, so, despite the result, scoring their performances will be a bit of a struggle.

• Still a bit odd for Bowyer to say "I didn't want Adam Matthews, he's a right back". Generally speaking you see more full backs playing wing back than wingers. Matthews also gets forward a fair amount anyway. 
  • We are now leading goal scorers in League one. 

Just saying ....
    Played more games than most. Wait for everyone to have played the same.
  • Entertaining and disappointing, should never have Smyth as RWB can't see the logic in it.

Thought Chucks was great, JFK ran all night, Morgan did well, great to see Schwartz get off the mark with a
    stunner, Deji solid performance, Millar did well if not a little greedy at times, Gilby who!!!

• Bowyer has no idea of his best team or his best formation. 
    Making it up as he goes along. 
    Shocking 
    He does have an idea of his best team......unfortunately a lot of it is in the treatment room......or has that point escaped you?
    I thought managers were paid to manage when there were injuries?