Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January 2021

191011121315»

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    Gunter has cost us so many times this season. Inexcusable for a player of his experience. Time to start Matthews.
    Mostly when he's played at CB.

It's too easy just to blame the player though, we need to look at the context.
    He looked very solid after he first signed, especially during our 6 wins-on-the-spin run when Inniss and Famewo were impenetrable.

What does that tell you?

It tells you that he was superb until I said he hadn't made a mistake all season and ever since he's not been very good, although mainly playing out of position :-)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:
    Gunter has cost us so many times this season. Inexcusable for a player of his experience. Time to start Matthews.

He looked very solid after he first signed, especially during our 6 wins-on-the-spin run when Inniss and Famewo were impenetrable.

What does that tell you?

It tells you that he was superb until I said he hadn't made a mistake all season and ever since he's not been very good, although mainly playing out of position :-)
    It's all your fault then, @Covered End ..... We shouldn't blame the player, when we can blame you instead!  :smile:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    I’ve only seen their free kick once, but it goes in keepers side? Not having a go at Amos, but it seemed saveable 
    definitely should've done better, had a clear view of it
    I would be questioning why Amos is letting in all these goals, never having a save to make and yet conceding every week. He didn’t get anything (hand or foot) on any of their  4 goals last night.
    As a former keeper who played most Saturdays and Sundays behind a poorly organised midfield and defence, a lot of the goals come because the players in front don't do everything they can to limit the shooting opportunities of their opponents. Gilbey turned his back on the first instead of charging it down. Gunter didn't come out to close down Baah after he had skinned Smyth for the third, and Gunter turned sideways and shrank away from the ball for the third.
    If players are doing that every week and the keeper doesn't know which side of him the ball is going to be struck, then he will often get his position slightly wrong and be late trying to save the ball. He will be feeling very exposed compared to when we had Innis and Famewo in front of him, and that will affect his confidence and judgement.
    When a team is defending well in front of a keeper, he will know where to be to make a save. 
    Amos is still fairly confident at the moment though, as he is still coming for crosses and his ball handling is still spot on.
    Like you @foresthillred I too was always the last to be picked and put in goal and to this day, all the goals I conceded were down to errors by my defenders.

😉
    Oi! I was one of those nutters who actually chose to be a keeper. Skills honed by years of diving around saving tennis balls on a gravelly school playground.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    On the other hand, he won the ball back for Schwartz’s goal and I think was the assist for one of the other goals. 
    He's only half the player when he's played at CB. He needs to start at right back or on the bench. As bad as he was in that first 30 minutes, once we went to four at the back, he was great for the rest of the game.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

What does that tell you?

It tells me that players can have big dips in form. He was very solid at the start of the season but he's been costing us for a while now. 

"It's too easy to blame the player" ... For soft, basic, individual errors, who else can be blamed? 

I don't think Matthews is as brilliant as some do on here, but if a player is out of form, why is it even an argument? I thought there's supposed to be competition for places. 
  • Options
    75 more points to play for, no reason why we can’t get them all 😁
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Chunes said:

What does that tell you?

It tells me that players can have big dips in form. He was very solid at the start of the season but he's been costing us for a while now. 

"It's too easy to blame the player" ... For soft, basic, individual errors, who else can be blamed? 

I don't think Matthews is as brilliant as some do on here, but if a player is out of form, why is it even an argument? I thought there's supposed to be competition for places. 
    I think Oggy has a point here actually. Being played out of position in an unusual system is not remotely ideal. It's no coincidence that his best performances come as a RB playing on the right of an orthodox defence, where he's spent most of his career.

You could argue that maybe with his experience that he could/should be doing better, adapting quicker, but given that a really good defence generally consists of more than the sum of it's parts, it's hardly surprising consistency is a struggle.

Or to put it another way: he had absolutely no idea what Smyth was doing defensively any more than we did, which makes his own role exponentially harder.
  • Options
    Wibble?
  • Options
    Wibble?
    Don't forget the pencils  up your nose and your underpants on your
    head, bah! :)
  • Options
    I think Gunter is just a terrible CB and a fantastic RB if I’m honest. 

We never would have but Solly in the middle and we should stop putting Gunter there.

Barker must play.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Gunter is just a terrible CB and a fantastic RB if I’m honest. 

We never would have but Solly in the middle and we should stop putting Gunter there.

Barker must play.
    Fantastic RB? Jesus the bar is low.
  • Options
    i don't think he's either a terrible centre back or a fantastic right back - he'll do a job but we need to be shifting out the likes of him, pratley and watson really after this season and if we can get out of this division and open the cheque book, we'll be able to start properly re building - a lot of stop gap signings made this year 
  • Options
    He has impressed me at RB for his overall game (relative to the level of course). As a centre back, he looks a complete liability.