Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Rochdale | Tues 12 January 2021

Comments

• Cafc43v3r said:
    There have been lots of piss taking formations this last few days with Chuks at LB or Amos in midfield, but did anyone even jokingly predict Smyth at right wing back?
    Cafc43v3rCafc43v3r
    6:41PM
    Covered_End_Lad said:
    Curbs just said we are playing 3 at the back and 2 up top tonight, who is playing RWB??
    Smyth would be a "brave choice" /endSirHumphreyVoice
    That doesn't count, as we knew the team by then and Curbs had said it was 3 at the back, not leaving many other options  :D
  • Whatever you think of his ink, Maddison alongside Schwartz and Aneke would have been a game winner for me.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    There have been lots of piss taking formations this last few days with Chuks at LB or Amos in midfield, but did anyone even jokingly predict Smyth at right wing back?
    Cafc43v3rCafc43v3r
    6:41PM
    Covered_End_Lad said:
    Curbs just said we are playing 3 at the back and 2 up top tonight, who is playing RWB??
    Smyth would be a "brave choice" /endSirHumphreyVoice
    That doesn't count, as we knew the team by then and Curbs had said it was 3 at the back, not leaving many other options  :D
    I still didn't think he would actually do it!!!

I thought it was more likely JFC played on the left and Maatsen on the righ. 
  • 11 points in 11 games.  

During which the average place of a team played is 15th.

Played 4 of bottom 5 and beat just one of them. 

Not won in 5 games.

Let in 4 in one half v Rochdale.

Players out of position, injuries and suspensions.

I am more sad than mad. Just a dreadful run.

I agree with this, and I’m struggling to see the positives.  Yes, they deserve a bit of credit for coming back, but that game was just a mess.  It was pretty horrible to watch in the first half.  We got our act together in the second half, but you have no choice when you’re trailing by 2 goals

the performance offers more questions than answers.  It was reminiscent of a game in the park that ends up 15 a side and goes on for 3 hours.  

I still think we have big problems.  
  • Hope Bows has a better idea of his best available 11 and formation after that second half 
  • Sponsored links:

• Expected goals has us well ahead, but then none of Rochdale's goals were tap ins

Extremely telling picture, like I said, we were very unfortunate with some of their goals.
  • does anyone else think that maatsen needs a little rest from the first team
  • does anyone else think that maatsen needs a little rest from the first team
    Might be a clause in contract. Chelsea and Liverpool generally state that their players must start each game while on loan.
  • I wanted to come away from tonight believing that we had it in us to turn this corner. I’ll admit, it didn’t come the way I would have predicted, but I honestly believe if we have Shinnie, Watson, Inniss and Famewo back in that side with Schwartz getting fitter and a little bit of luck with injuries (huge if given recent luck) that we can really start to build momentum into the second half of the season. 

We genuinely played some excellent football today and it was a great game to watch. Bowyer must be kicking himself with the Smyth call.

Bowyer has made some strange decisions recently and isn’t infallible but in my eyes and I hope in the eyes of a level headed owner has earn’t this year as a free hit at promotion. 

I think Pearce out for the next game could be a blessing in disguise as he really looks off the pace.

Bring on Saturday. For what it’s worth if Schwartz only has 45 mins in him on Saturday, I’d start him with Chuks again and really go for the jugular.  
  • Seeing as everybody is so happy with the players that played the second half and want that to form the basis of the starting 11 going forwards (until the injured are back) shall we have a look tomorrow and see who's favoured line up on the prediction thread most resembles those personnel? Childish i know, but i reckon i'm in with a shout !!!! Catch up tomorrow, night night
  • I must say I was proud of that second half. The fight, the football we played, Schwartz first goal and Aneke bullying their defenders was terrific.

Sadly when you take the raw emotion out of it and we look at the table tomorrow we've dropped another two points against a poor team. At the moment we're probably 40/60 to make the play offs which with our squad is not good enough. Some reasons to be hopeful, Shinnie/Famewo back soon and could there be a partnership between Aneke + Schwartz? 
    Aneke completed 90 minutes which is a great news and i wouldn't be surprised to see it more, we absolutely need him.

However, Pearce is a liability and has been for a while, Bowyer continues to play players in weird positions and our defence is a complete shambles.

Final thing, can we cut our losses with Gilbey and accept he's a dud. He's just dreadful. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021

Rochdale xG of 0.47 while scoring four goals is simply ridiculous.

Use a Poisson distribution (which isn’t perfect but close enough for some rough analysis), stick in a mean of 0.47 goals and you get a 1 in 700 chance that a team scores four or more from the shots Rochdale had tonight.
  • edited January 2021
    I still think Bowyer is in trouble as defensively that was very poor against a team near the bottom, but the 2nd half was very good.

Let's hope the 2nd half performance gives everyone the lift that the team so desperately needs 
  • Just to defend Pearce amongst a bit of antI-Pearce chat, I thought his diagonal long balls to Aneke were excellent. 
  • There have been lots of piss taking formations this last few days with Chuks at LB or Amos in midfield, but did anyone even jokingly predict Smyth at right wing back?
    You're kidding me , Redrobo would have strung them up 
  • I'll try and keep this short.

I'll start by saying Bowyer got it wrong with starting Smyth at RWB, but he will know that better than anyone. Once we went to basics we looked a lot better and played some great football imo, JFC who I usually accuse of being average was making things really tick, like a charity shop Toni Kroos. Aneke was terrific, could have scored 4 or more genuinely, Williams energetic. I could go on but we all saw the same game. Special mention for Oshi, solid game and has earned the right to start. Pearce and Gilbey only negatives, Pearce is alarmingly panicked for such an experienced player, late challenges, typical hoofs and on a rewatch it was a yellow, can't fault his effort but it was one. Gilbey seems really poor, I won't write him off yet cause he put in some good tackles and showed some good awareness but he just doesn't offer enough for me.

Personally I am happy with the result as it's shut down a few comments on here. Clearly the dressing room is not lost, there is fight in this team, now you can say 'The players don't wanna lose!' but that's nonsense as some of you are willing to blame Lee for his tactics, he also needs credit where it's due, he has the respect of these players. We also showed we can play attractive football with the right players on the pitch, it's just our defense that is absolutely shoddy atm.

Finally I'll wrap it up with this & I'm not bothered how it comes across, to anyone messaging Sandgaard on twitter or any other social media platform trying to push Lee out, you are pathetic and I am embarrassed to be associated with you by the team I support.

We are well in this, 100%  behind Bowyer and the lads, on to the next one

Well said. I'm sure you ain't the only one dismayed by those keyboard warriors. Be good if TS could arrange for them to tell Lee Bowyer to his face. See how many show up.
  • Ben18 said:
    Just to defend Pearce amongst a bit of antI-Pearce chat, I thought his diagonal long balls to Aneke were excellent. 
    Some were fine but when you are up against it sometimes you need the ball for a period, when they scored their third he launched it straight back at them, it's stuff like that which frustrates me with Pearce
  • Rochdale are incredibly entertaining for the neutral at the moment. These are their results since the start of December, it seems they have a few injuries at the back and have gone for an all out attacking policy

4-0
    0-2
    1-4
    5-0
    1-4
    3-3
    4-4

That's 18 for and 17 against, 2 wins, 2 draws and 3 defeats giving 8 points, whereas in our last 7 matches we have 1 win, 4 draws and 2 defeats giving 7 points...