Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    Ashley Giles has rightly said that England can't stand in the way of players if they want to play in the IPL but "play" might not be the right word. Take the Sunrisers Hyderbad for example. With Jason Roy now enlisted to replace Mitchell Marsh, these are their 8 overseas players:

David Warner
    Jason Roy
    Jonny Bairstow
    Kane Williamson
    Jason Holder
    Mohammad Nabi
    Rashid Khan
    Mujeeb-Ur-Rahman

Now Warner is captain so unless he has a run of bad form he will virtually be a fixture. Rashid Khan will be too. So that leaves 2 places for the other 6 players. In a lot of games, one from the three other overseas bowlers will be picked so that leaves one place for Williamson, Bairstow and Roy.

That's a ludicrous list of overseas players.

I suppose even if Roy or Bairstow don't play regularly, they'll be able to watch the other star T20 players and see the local conditions

Slightly strange to replace Marsh a middle order allrounder with an opener
  • Options
    Ashley Giles has rightly said that England can't stand in the way of players if they want to play in the IPL but "play" might not be the right word. Take the Sunrisers Hyderbad for example. With Jason Roy now enlisted to replace Mitchell Marsh, these are their 8 overseas players:

David Warner
    Jason Roy
    Jonny Bairstow
    Kane Williamson
    Jason Holder
    Mohammad Nabi
    Rashid Khan
    Mujeeb-Ur-Rahman

Now Warner is captain so unless he has a run of bad form he will virtually be a fixture. Rashid Khan will be too. So that leaves 2 places for the other 6 players. In a lot of games, one from the three other overseas bowlers will be picked so that leaves one place for Williamson, Bairstow and Roy.

That's a ludicrous list of overseas players.

I suppose even if Roy or Bairstow don't play regularly, they'll be able to watch the other star T20 players and see the local conditions

Slightly strange to replace Marsh a middle order allrounder with an opener
    Injuries have restricted Marsh's ability to bowl these days. He was retained by Sunrisers but only played one game last year before being replaced by Jason Holder who then enjoyed a successful stint. Last year Bairstow started the IPL in the team but then they decided to play Warner/Williamson/Holder and Rashid Khan. That could well be the case this season so Bairstow and Roy might end up playing rock/paper/scissors for who doesn't have to carry the drinks!

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56734095

Ben Stokes out of the IPL with a broken finger. I imagine England aren't too upset
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56770996

Stokes out for 12 weeks with his broken finger

At least he'll be nicely rested for the T20WC and Ashes now
  • Options
    edited April 2021
  • Options

He should be back in time for the all important Hundred though which will give him the opportunity to injure himself again when not playing for County or Country. At least he didn't smash his fist on a locker doing it!
  • Options
    edited April 2021

A bit like Lyle Taylor going away on International Duty & getting injured. Stokes makes a shit ton of  money with the IPL but us punters back home miss out on him playing Test matches for England.....who pay him a decent whack as a Central Contracted player.

I'm probably in a minority but I'd ban English players who are centrally contracted from playing overseas. Might be a bit different during the off season (like years ago players playing on Oz) but County cricket started last weekend so our "season" has now started. 

I'd say to Stokes......" what do you think people will remember when they look back in 20 years time - you scoring a century in Bangalore for the Rajasthan Royals or scoring 135 no in an Ashes Test match at Headingley with the no 11 batman scoring just 1 run in a stand of 77".

I say ban then like they did the rebel tour in 1980. 

• Options

A bit like Lyle Taylor going away on International Duty & getting injured. Stokes makes a shit ton of  money with the IPL but us punters back home miss out on him playing Test matches for England.....who pay him a decent whack as a Central Contracted player.

I'm probably in a minority but I'd ban English players who are centrally contracted from playing overseas. Might be a bit different during the off season (like years ago players playing on Oz) but County cricket started last weekend so our "season" has now started. 

I'd say to Stokes......" what do you think people will remember when they look back in 20 years time - you scoring a century in Bangalore for the Rajasthan Royals or scoring 135 no in an Ashes Test match at Headingley with the no 11 batman scoring just 1 run in a stand of 77".

sure fire way of decimating the england team, say goodbye to seeing the likes of stokes etc ever play for england again. 
  • Options

sure fire way of decimating the england team, say goodbye to seeing the likes of stokes etc ever play for england again. 
    well, as it stands, he aint playing against NZ this summer - so the team is "decimated" and we are paying him for the privilege. Just like Taylor all over again. Sorry if I'd rather see players who want to play for England, rather than the Bangalore Beagles. 
  • Options
    When he’s finished his money spinning career , the chances for big bucks will be long gone .
    What will pay his bills and improve his lifestyle in 20 years time -that’ll be all the ridiculous franchise cricket around the world 
    Make hay why the sun shines 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sibley became the third England player to hurt his hand in the last few weeks (after Archer and Stokes) and will be out for a few weeks after fracturing a finger dropping a catch.

On the more positive front I see Bracey hit a ton for Gloucs. Another keeper but one who bats in the top three, I suspect it won't be long before we see him given the opportunity to show what he can do especially if the likes of Burns, Sibley and Crawley don't start producing domestically - none of them have made a major impact this season to date albeit from limited opportunities.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56822502

With all the excitement elsewhere, this seems to have been missed. An interesting change with Ed Smith being removed from his selection role, and control given to Silverwood.
  • Options
    I have for a while suggested that Root should be in our T20 side simply because a lot of the pitches in India will not be conducive to "see ball, hit ball" type batting. You need someone who is going to bat for the duration that everyone else can bat round and who will get us to the 170 plus mark batting first and see us home batting second.

To demonstrate this, here are the scores from the IPL games played at Chennai to date:

159-9 (20)
    160-8 (20)
    187-6 (20)
    177-5 (20)
    152 all out
    142-7 (20)
    149-8 (20)
    143-9 (20)
    150-5 (20)
    137 all out 
    204-4 (20)
    166-8 (20)
    137-9 (20)
    138-4 (19.2)
    120 all out
    121-1 (18.4)

That's an average from 16 innings of 153

The best T20 batsmen in the world are playing here and they are struggling to put bat to ball. Equally, the likes of Roy, Billings and Malan can't get a game at the moment so aren't even gaining the experience of playing on pitches where you cannot throw your hands at the ball.

The difficulty with Malan is that he is a "two gear" batsman with two many dot balls whereas Root will constantly rotate and keep the score going without sacrificing his wicket trying to make up for lost ground.

• Options
    I mentioned that Roy, Malan and Billings can't get games but, of course, Liam Livingstone has gone home after not be being selected for any matches citing "bubble fatigue" as the reason.

One England player who is currently a fixture is Mooen Ali. Ironic because he has struggled to get into the England side recently but even more so because he is batting at 3 for the Chennai Super Kings. And he's not doing badly either with scores of 36 (24), 46 (31), 26 (20) and 25 (12) making a total of 133 at an average of 33.25 and strike rate of 153. He's also taken 4-77 off 10.
  • Options
    The problem is that Malan has made himself a fixture and I’m not sure England think they can afford him and Root in the same side.  I would pick Root as his bowling is extremely useful on more helpful pitches.  Roy is the doubt for me; his t20 record isn’t anything like as good as his ODI stats
  • Options
    I see Alastair Cook has just smacked Olly Stone for a 6

Get him in the T20 side  :D
  • Options
    I see Alastair Cook has just smacked Olly Stone for a 6

Get him in the T20 side  :D
    isnt he one of the few international englishman to record a t20 century?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    India had the single most number of new Covid cases of any country yesterday since the worldwide crisis started - 315,802

The IPL "bubble" will need to be totally secure because, as with other franchise tournaments that have been hit, there is a danger that it will end up being abandoned should there be an outbreak. The T20 WC isn't guaranteed to take place either.
  • Options
    We could all see this coming when they were packing out the stadium against us a few months ago.
    I couldn't believe it. I sat there googling their Covid figures and thinking wtf.
  • Options
    We could all see this coming when they were packing out the stadium against us a few months ago.
    I couldn't believe it. I sat there googling their Covid figures and thinking wtf.
    That was weird. A restricted crowd in a massive stadium, but no attempt to spread the people out, which rather defeats the object. It would be like only allowing 2500 into the Valley, but having them all sit in the lower Covered End!
  • Options
    It's a bit like the ECB telling clubs that spectators are only allowed to watch amateur games if they are in a designated drinking area - as opposed to sitting in isolation on the edge of the outfield. And I have complained to the ECB about this and also brought it to the attention of both a friend of mine who happens to be an MP as well as my own MP.
  • Options
    It's a bit like the ECB telling clubs that spectators are only allowed to watch amateur games if they are in a designated drinking area - as opposed to sitting in isolation on the edge of the outfield. And I have complained to the ECB about this and also brought it to the attention of both a friend of mine who happens to be an MP as well as my own MP.
    That won’t work, why don’t you just text the PM like everyone else does 😉
  • Options
    Whisper it but could we be seeing the re-emergence of a former England opener - Haseeb Hameed?

Things went so down hill for him that he couldn't buy a run for Lancs 2s let alone their first team and was subsequently released. At Notts last year he averaged 38.85 in what was very much a shortened season from seven innings. Following just 90 runs in his first half a dozen innings this year, he returned scored of 111 and 114* against Worcs last week.

Hameed still has to prove he can do it consistently and against the very best opposition but I think we all forget how young he still is - only just 24 - and if he has truly got over his previous issues then he has to be considered for selection. 
  • Options
    Whisper it but could we be seeing the re-emergence of a former England opener - Haseeb Hameed?

Things went so down hill for him that he couldn't buy a run for Lancs 2s let alone their first team and was subsequently released. At Notts last year he averaged 38.85 in what was very much a shortened season from seven innings. Following just 90 runs in his first half a dozen innings this year, he returned scored of 111 and 114* against Worcs last week.

Hameed still has to prove he can do it consistently and against the very best opposition but I think we all forget how young he still is - only just 24 - and if he has truly got over his previous issues then he has to be considered for selection. 
    Does an average of 38 warrant an England call up?

one good match this year with the rest being below average. I’m hopeful that this is a new beginning for him and I’m sure the selectors are aware of his scores this week and will be watching with interest. Time to kick on otherwise he will be just another  county player with a small number of caps.
  • Options

I really hope you are right, when he came into the England team, I thought he was going to be there a long time, but it all went wrong so quickly, nice to see a lot of county cricket being played this early in the season, with hardly any rain interruptions.
  • Options

Does an average of 38 warrant an England call up?

one good match this year with the rest being below average. I’m hopeful that this is a new beginning for him and I’m sure the selectors are aware of his scores this week and will be watching with interest. Time to kick on otherwise he will be just another  county player with a small number of caps.
    I'm not for one minute suggesting that he should have a recall right now but Hameed's average this season in the CC is actually 57.40 from 6 innings and that includes one 50  and two 100s. But, in the land of the blind, if he carries on like that, he will be King especially when one considers the form of our current top 3, namely Burns, Sibley and Crawley who have two 50s between them from 13 innings to date.
  • Options

Apparently it was the highest number of balls a batsmen has ever faced in a county championship match - 635.