Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Options
    3 Australian players have quit the IPL to return home and Ashwin has taken a break too. You wonder how long the England players will stay there, but then would they be allowed to return home anyway?
  • Options
    3 Australian players have quit the IPL to return home and Ashwin has taken a break too. You wonder how long the England players will stay there, but then would they be allowed to return home anyway?
    I don't think Zampa or Tye have played a game yet and Kane Richardson was dropped for yesterday's game albeit that he might have made his decision already. The likes of Buttler, Morgan and Bairstow are currently fixtures in their teams whereas Billings and Roy, for example, have yet to play a game so might be keener to return rather than stay in that bubble
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Whisper it but could we be seeing the re-emergence of a former England opener - Haseeb Hameed?

Things went so down hill for him that he couldn't buy a run for Lancs 2s let alone their first team and was subsequently released. At Notts last year he averaged 38.85 in what was very much a shortened season from seven innings. Following just 90 runs in his first half a dozen innings this year, he returned scored of 111 and 114* against Worcs last week.

Hameed still has to prove he can do it consistently and against the very best opposition but I think we all forget how young he still is - only just 24 - and if he has truly got over his previous issues then he has to be considered for selection. 
    Apparently it was the highest number of balls a batsmen has ever faced in a county championship match - 635.
    Didn’t Lara score 500? In less than 635 balls?

sorry, more than 635 balls?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Whisper it but could we be seeing the re-emergence of a former England opener - Haseeb Hameed?

Things went so down hill for him that he couldn't buy a run for Lancs 2s let alone their first team and was subsequently released. At Notts last year he averaged 38.85 in what was very much a shortened season from seven innings. Following just 90 runs in his first half a dozen innings this year, he returned scored of 111 and 114* against Worcs last week.

Hameed still has to prove he can do it consistently and against the very best opposition but I think we all forget how young he still is - only just 24 - and if he has truly got over his previous issues then he has to be considered for selection. 
    Apparently it was the highest number of balls a batsmen has ever faced in a county championship match - 635.
    Didn’t Lara score 500? In less than 635 balls?
    427 balls apparently.

Interestingly, looking at the Scorecard, he bowled 11 overs in Durham's innings and his economy was 4.27.
  • Options
    He scored 501 much to the annoyance of his sponsor Joe Bloggs Jeans as they could not produce any celebratory merchandise due to Levi’s trademark of 501 for clothes. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56978321

The Indian Premier League (IPL) has been suspended after an increase in coronavirus cases among players.
    A Sunrisers Hyderabad player tested positive before Tuesday's match against Mumbai Indians.
    Monday's match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Royal Challengers Bangalore was postponed after two KKR players tested positive.
    In a statement, the IPL said it had "unanimously decided" to postpone the season after an emergency meeting.
  • Options

Four England Twenty20 matches - two men's and two women's games - will be televised live on the BBC this summer as part of a comprehensive package across TV, radio and digital.

England men's second T20 against Sri Lanka on 24 June and the second match against Pakistan on 18 July will be shown on free-to-air television.

There will be live coverage of England women's third T20 against India in July and their opening game against New Zealand on 1 September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56971323

• Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/57132931

Archer out of the NZ series with his elbow problem. You wonder how much we'll see of him this year
  • Options
    clive said:

Four England Twenty20 matches - two men's and two women's games - will be televised live on the BBC this summer as part of a comprehensive package across TV, radio and digital.

England men's second T20 against Sri Lanka on 24 June and the second match against Pakistan on 18 July will be shown on free-to-air television.

There will be live coverage of England women's third T20 against India in July and their opening game against New Zealand on 1 September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/56971323

Bollox, Saw the headline the other day and thought that was something of a coup  but now reading  your post I see two of them are the women’s team. 
  • Options

Archer out of the NZ series with his elbow problem. You wonder how much we'll see of him this year
    Feels like they are trying to avoid an inevitable operation and he'll end up missing more cricket than if he'd have just had it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Feels like they are trying to avoid an inevitable operation and he'll end up missing more cricket than if he'd have just had it.
    They were talking about it 2 months ago, and just like many Charlton injuries you get the "he only needs rest" argument which then wastes several weeks/months before anything is done
  • Options
    I hope Mark Wood is fit as it's so important to have a speed merchant in our attack.
  • Options

agreed. Makes me think it's pretty bad long term injury, and that an operation has the risk of making it even worse, just as much as it might make it better. So managing the injury is preferable. 
  • Options

agreed. Makes me think it's pretty bad long term injury, and that an operation has the risk of making it even worse, just as much as it might make it better. So managing the injury is preferable. 
    Well it's not working seeing that after a long break the problem didn't go away

I can't help thinking that this is the beginning of end for Archer in red ball cricket.  If his elbow is a permanent issue, the T20 leagues would seem to be a much easier option physically, and I think he's a better white ball bowler than red ball bowler anyway
  • Options
    I hope Mark Wood is fit as it's so important to have a speed merchant in our attack.
    Need to handle him carefully to make sure he's fit and firing in the winter.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him rotated over the summer.
  • Options
    A bit of a "who's available" type of squad really.
  • Options
    Just been invited to Lords by client for first day of NZ test - but need my boss to approve it grrr
  • Options
    • Seats are set according to strict social distancing guidelines and cannot be moved

• You must remain in your allocated seat and not move to other empty seats. Stewards will be monitoring seating areas throughout the day

• Your seats may be distanced up to three seats apart from others within your group. Rest assured that there will not be other groups in the seats between your allocated selection

• The Ground has been divided into three zones, with the Grand Stand and Compton Stand in Zone B and the Mound Stand and Edrich Stand in Zone C. You will not be able to visit the other zones or meet other guests from other zones

• You will not be permitted to re-enter the Ground if you leave at any time – please consider this if you usually make lunch arrangements outside of Lord’s

• Bars and catering units will be open within each zone. Please be aware that Lord’s operates a no cash policy at these outlets – debit/credit card payments and mobile payments are accepted

• It is encouraged, however, you do not need to wear a face covering while in your seat (this is subject to change according to Government advice at the time of the match)

• You may bring in food and drink as per the usual Lord’s Ground regulations.
  • Options
    • Seats are set according to strict social distancing guidelines and cannot be moved

• You must remain in your allocated seat and not move to other empty seats. Stewards will be monitoring seating areas throughout the day

• Your seats may be distanced up to three seats apart from others within your group. Rest assured that there will not be other groups in the seats between your allocated selection

• The Ground has been divided into three zones, with the Grand Stand and Compton Stand in Zone B and the Mound Stand and Edrich Stand in Zone C. You will not be able to visit the other zones or meet other guests from other zones

• You will not be permitted to re-enter the Ground if you leave at any time – please consider this if you usually make lunch arrangements outside of Lord’s

• Bars and catering units will be open within each zone. Please be aware that Lord’s operates a no cash policy at these outlets – debit/credit card payments and mobile payments are accepted

• It is encouraged, however, you do not need to wear a face covering while in your seat (this is subject to change according to Government advice at the time of the match)

• You may bring in food and drink as per the usual Lord’s Ground regulations.
    Yes - I have read up about the regulations in Lords - looks like they have things worked out
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just been invited to Lords by client for first day of NZ test - but need my boss to approve it grrr
    Best of luck mate, would be a lovely.day out!!
  • Options
    Bracey is likely to keep wicket
  • Options

Hameed has been called up along with Sam Billings following an freak injury to Foakes as a result of him slipping in the changing rooms
  • Options
    Feels a bit early to assume Hameed is "back", as it were.

Billings as back up WK/batsmen makes sense though.
  • Options
    Feels a bit early to assume Hameed is "back", as it were.

Billings as back up WK/batsmen makes sense though.
    Certainly not "back" but, with the cupboard as bare as it is so far as players challenging is concerned and the doubts that prevail about our current top 3, an opener who averages 43.80 for England and 52.67 this season for his county in what have been challenging conditions for batsmen, has to be under consideration. 
  • Options
    I guess, but then that average is from what, 4 matches?
  • Options

Hameed has been called up along with Sam Billings following an freak injury to Foakes as a result of him slipping in the changing rooms
    poor bloke cant get any bloody luck.

Huge opportunity for bracey now though. 
  • Options
    I guess, but then that average is from what, 4 matches?
    3 Test matches and 6 innings
    6 County Championship matches and 10 innings this season

Hameed was 19 when he made his Test debut. His selection was more on the back of what coaches saw rather than what he had achieved during his career. Similarly the likes of Gower and Vaughan had bang ordinary stats in the County Championship but proved that they could step up in the Test arena. And Zac Crawley has a First Class average of 32.54 but was picked for the same reasons albeit from a very promising start he has struggled of late for England. Why shouldn't Hameed be given another go if the top 3 go through a bad patch?

• Options

poor bloke cant get any bloody luck.

Huge opportunity for bracey now though. 
    Absolutely gutted for Foakes.
    In my opinion he's the best keeper England have and this was a golden opportunity to prove it.
    As you say a great opportunity for Bracey.