Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Stokes out now, it’s all over. Preceded by Sunil Gavaskar cutting into a cake with more technique than England are displaying here. 
  • I appreciate that we are trying to put pressure on their spinners but some of the shots we are playing have such a risk that the reward isn't worth it
  • Leuth said:
    MrOneLung said:
    India have enough runs already to win this
    This is a bit churlish. Seems like a good effort from England today. And they can't bat as badly again. Surely.
    I wouldn't put money on it. A reminder of England's last 5 scores:

Glad I didn't put that money on us getting a score Leuth!
  • Call me old fashioned, but I’d like to see Tony Greig and Alan Knott really take the game to the Indians now. A awash-buckling partnership of 250+ from them and we’re really back in it. Then there’ll be a massive storm before the ground staff can get the covers on. Underwood will bowl ‘em out on a sticky dog, job done. All down the pub to celebrate a famous win. 

Ah bollocks, just nodded off for a few moments there. Meanwhile back in 2021...
  • The Indian spinners aren't playing fair though are they? Where are all the full tosses and long hops?
  • So we are clearly mentally a broken team and the players and coaches will rightly cop plenty of flack. But at what point does Ed Smith start getting pelters? The whole rotation policy  during a pandemic doesn't work, Bairstow was a disaster waiting to(and did) happen and the manage management of both Bess and Lawrence has been poor. All stems from the Chairman if selectors surely.
  • I do wish Pope would put the reverse sweep away. Hit them down the ground like you did before
  • England all out for 240 my prediction 

india 7th and 8th wicket added 219 for India 
    That looks a long way away at the moment
  • But if you are going to come down the track make sure you get something on it!
  • Bairstow 3 ducks in 4 innings. If this doesn't confirm that he should stick to white ball cricket nothing will.
    The problem is, it won’t. 

Burns to open and Crawley at 3

and hopefully pope will develop a cricketing brain to complement his talent 
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I the only one that can't stand this Channel 4 coverage? I really don't want to hear the glee in the commentators voices when the oppo are doing well.
  • Two words. Keaton Jennings.
    Please God no.
  • Bairstow 3 ducks in 4 innings. If this doesn't confirm that he should stick to white ball cricket nothing will.
    The problem is, it won’t. 

Burns to open and Crawley at 3

and hopefully pope will develop a cricketing brain to complement his talent 
    As I keep saying Burns, Sibley and Crawley worries me because we keep losing two wickets for next to nothing. I've made my feelings known as to who I think should be batting at 3. The trouble is that Pope is now in danger of being dropped despite the fact that he is always fire fighting - his batting today was frenetic. Buttler will come back so will it be for Pope or Foakes if we revert to Burns/Sibley/Crawley?

Back to Sibley/Burns/Crawley:

Sibley averages 32.48 but in his last 3 series against Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India respectively, in 16 innings, he has scored just 296 runs in total at an average of 19.73 

Burns averages 30.73 but since 2019 he has played in 8 Tests and 13 innings against West Indies, Pakistan and India he scored just 311 runs in total at an average of 23.92  

Crawley has an average of 34.15. But that is somewhat skewed by that one fantastic innings of 267. Take that out and his average drops somewhat dramatically to 21.89

To my mind Crawley has to play simply because he is the only one of the three to make a massive contribution to winning a Test match, It's also obvious that he is far more at home against pace than spin which is what, predominantly he will come across in the Ashes. But for the reasons given above it should be with Sibley or Burns but not both.

Lawrence has impressed at times but he is no more ready to bat at 3 for England than Pope is. But, unlike Pope, has already been given the opportunity to do so
  • Foakes is 6 not out and he has scored more than four of our batsmen so far this innings. 
    Sums it up really. 
  • > wakes up 

> checks cricket score

>goes back to sleep 
    Please God no.
    It was tongue in cheek obviously, but he is no worse than the current incumbents and proven to be far better in Indian conditions.
  • Plans for Sunday

Watch the Test match
    Clean the car
    Clean the oven
    Mop the floors
    Clear out rubbish from the loft
    Please God no.
    It was tongue in cheek obviously, but he is no worse than the current incumbents and proven to be far better in Indian conditions.
    Horses for courses - which is why we picked Bairstow as evidenced by his 6 ducks in his last 9 innings against India. In fact, he has now scored 67 runs in 10 innings against them!
    Please God no.
    True. 
    But the Indian tour is coming to an end.
    Against pace he is not very good 
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the point is that Jennings would have been a logical 
    pick for this winter. Bumrah and Ishant have been largely irrelevant in this series
  • England have now had 70 consecutive partnerships of less than 50 in Tests
  • We have now had 71 consecutive partnerships less than 50 
  • England have now had 70 consecutive partnerships of less than 50 in Tests
    MrOneLung said:
    We have now had 71 consecutive partnerships less than 50 
    Will be 73 very shortly
    Please God no.
    True. 
    But the Indian tour is coming to an end.
    Against pace he is not very good 
    Yes, he had a problem against pace around 4th stump line.
    As I said, I believe he is as good an option as what we are using now. Perhaps he should have got his chance to prove himself again under these conditions.
  • How's stat?!

Andy Zaltzman

Test Match Special statistician on The Cricket Social

Moeen Ali played his first Test in 2014 and has five Test centuries.

No England batsman who has debuted since then has scored more than two centuries.

• edited March 2021
    Problem to be is at least twofold.....maybe 3 or 4-fold.

We cant play spin
    We dont have any good spinners 
    Openers get out too cheaply 
    Too many changes 

I don't watch county cricket so have no idea what the selection pool is like, but going by what I've seen recently I would -  

Drop Burns & Bess
    Keep Lawrence & Foakes 
    Butler & Bairstow are middle order "run getters" & you dont build an innings around them. 

Finally - the stat about 70+consecutive partnerships of below 50 is the "Golfie" stat of cricket. Awful. Like our "go 1-0 down & that's it" stat you just cant play Test cricket & have 7 innings where there is no meaningful partnerships. 
  • I would sooner play Buster Keaton than Keaton Jennings.
  • The bottom line is that we aren't very good at batting in red ball cricket. Full stop. And if anyone doubts that I would challenge them to name one current English player who has a better average, bar Root, than any of India's top six in Test cricket.
  • The decision to give that out was made by the players on behalf of the Umpire