Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• I don't get why that wasn't out? apart from the fact the on field umpire said it wasn't? 

The "benefit" of "Umpire's Call"
    I thought if it's 'in line' and hitting the stumps then it's out whether the umpire called it or not? 

Depends how close to missing it was, there's a bit of margin of error, so if only just clipping, there's not enough to overturn the umpire's call, if it's hitting a 3rd of the way down the stump etc, then there is.
    what a crock of $hit. I thought I understood this game. 
  • I don't get why that wasn't out? apart from the fact the on field umpire said it wasn't? 

I thought if it's 'in line' and hitting the stumps then it's out whether the umpire called it or not? 

Depends how close to missing it was, there's a bit of margin of error, so if only just clipping, there's not enough to overturn the umpire's call, if it's hitting a 3rd of the way down the stump etc, then there is.
    what a crock of $hit. I thought I understood this game. 
    There are 42 Laws of cricket.  That comment could be made after each and every one of them. 

Only if more 50% of the ball is hitting the stumps and that must have been, admittedly, very close to being the case there.
  • Think when Pant is dismissed the England team should all laugh out loud ...
  • My word Bess is all over the place - a full bunger followed by two half trackers. Where has his stock ball gone?
  • Bess is a liability

Only if more 50% of the ball is hitting the stumps and that must have been, admittedly, very close to being the case there.
    That one was very close to 50%. Indeed it was a lot more out than the Rohit one where we benefited from Umpires call!
  • So, just to be clear, we went into this Test match with a 38 year old and an all rounder who hasn't bowled a lengthy spell for at least 18 months as our seam attack plus a spinner who wasn't considered good enough to be picked on a pitch that was going to turn square in the last Test. Even though we asked the spinner who went home to stay and play in that match!

Bess is still only 23 and needs time to mature. Whether he will get even that opportunity on the county circuit, with our pitches as they are, is the debate, 
  • edited March 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    Bess is a liability
    Getting India ahead with every ball, looks so low on confidence.

Bit of a vicious cycle - was he playing badly so dropped, or is he low on confidence from being dropped... think one is probably piling on top of the other to be honest.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we'd have been better with Broad than Bess.
  • Of course, the real irony of our pitches is that we aren't allowed to prepare wickets that suit spinners too much. A seamer friendly track with associated overhead conditions for someone bowling at 75mph is fine though. In any event, so many of our games finish inside three days anyway. 
  • Sponsored links:

• .killerandflash said:
    I don't get why that wasn't out? apart from the fact the on field umpire said it wasn't? 

That one was very close to 50%. Indeed it was a lot more out than the Rohit one where we benefited from Umpires call!
    I hadn't realised, 'til they showed that clip, that they took the mark from the base of the bails. That makes it even more out because surely the mark should be half way down the bails?
  • You cannot convince me that Amar Virdi wouldn't have been much, much better than Bess, who's surely playing his last Test for a good old while
  • Leuth said:
    You cannot convince me that Amar Virdi wouldn't have been much, much better than Bess, who's surely playing his last Test for a good old while
    Just hope Bess doesn't go the same way as Simon Kerrigan. At least we are giving Bess an opportunity to bowl. Kerrigan was sent to Coventry by Cook in his one and only Test
  • Really? Another no ball from a spinner!!!
  • India have enough runs already to win this
  • MrOneLung said:
    India have enough runs already to win this
    This is a bit churlish. Seems like a good effort from England today. And they can't bat as badly again. Surely.
  • Yorkshire will be seeing a lot of Bess next summer as you can’t see him being picked for England 
  • Leuth said:
    You cannot convince me that Amar Virdi wouldn't have been much, much better than Bess, who's surely playing his last Test for a good old while
    Virdi last "played" in the Team Buttler v Team Root warm up game in Sri Lanka in January. He didn't bat and despite 13 players giving the opportunity to bowl, Virdi did not get to deliver a single ball. Bess, on the other hand, bowled 16 overs which was twice as many as any of the other dozen.

One could say that Virdi would be coming into this Series somewhat undercooked having not bowled a ball in anger for six months!
  • Leuth said:
    Virdi last "played" in the Team Buttler v Team Root warm up game in Sri Lanka in January. He didn't bat and despite 13 players giving the opportunity to bowl, Virdi did not get to deliver a single ball. Bess, on the other hand, bowled 16 overs which was twice as many as any of the other dozen.

One could say that Virdi would be coming into this Series somewhat undercooked having not bowled a ball in anger for six months!
    Bess also offers more with the bat...
  • Leuth said:
    MrOneLung said:
    This is a bit churlish. Seems like a good effort from England today. And they can't bat as badly again. Surely.
    yesterday was just the mere hors d'oeuvre

we will get less than 200 and India will knock em off like they are batting on a day 3 pitch rather than 4th innings pitch
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I wouldn't put money on it. A reminder of England's last 5 scores:

• Leuth said:

Bess also offers more with the bat...
    He might but 0-49 versus 3 and out suggests otherwise!
  • edited March 2021
    Our two seamers:    34-17-52-4
    Our three spinners: 41-3-135-1
  • Our two seamers:    34-17-52-4
    Our three spinners: 41-3-135-1
    Telling stats. Our spinners have really misfired in this one. 
  • Leuth said:
    MrOneLung said:
    I don’t see why not. We’ve done it for the last six innings in a row. 
  • Can feel this game slowly being granted away from us. When they were 50 odd behind and 6 down you felt we had a chance to go into the second innings roughly at parity. 

Gone now.
  • Poor stokes, we've got our team selection horrifically wrong again.
  • Stokes is a spent force. Presumably Jimmy is being held back for the new ball and the other end will be taken by Leach?
  • Stokes looks completely shagged out there, a ridiculous workload today
  • WHOA, pant runs down the wicket and smacks jimmy with a new ball back over his head