Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• So what’s your team for the first test v NZ in June 
  • edited March 2021
    Fair play Dan Lawrence.
  • Weird listening to the cricket social & hearing them chatting about stuff & then cutting in saying "oh, that's 50 for Lawrence" or " that's another wicket - Leach this time". 

Just so disconnected to what's going on out on the pitch. 
  • A weird series, when India win despite their top 5, other than Rohit, all being poor
  • Imagine how pee'd off whoever made the decision at Channel 4 is feeling right now. Jeez. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    So what’s your team for the first test v NZ in June 
    Bowlers will sort themselves out and very few options available on the batting front but@

Sibley/Burns
    Crawley
    Pope
    Root
    Stokes
    Buttler
    Foakes

If they decide to give the gloves to Foakes, because the gap between them isn't as great standing back, then Lawrence deserves to come back in for Foakes to bat at 5:

Sibley/Burns
    Crawley
    Pope
    Root
    Lawrence
    Stokes
    Buttler

• I would sooner play Buster Keaton than Keaton Jennings.
    Hilarious, even taking in to account his excellent record in the subcontinent. 
  • MrOneLung said:

How's stat?!

Andy Zaltzman

Test Match Special statistician on The Cricket Social

Moeen Ali played his first Test in 2014 and has five Test centuries.

No England batsman who has debuted since then has scored more than two centuries.

From same fella

A three-day Test follows a two-day Test, which followed a four-day Test. Before these games, England had not had a three-day Test in India since 1951-52. Since then, before these 3 Tests, 47 of their 53 Tests in India went to Day 5, the other six to Day 4.

• All very annoying after the euphoria of the first test (and successive wins before that, both home and away). 

I really don’t cope well with my two sporting loves, Charlton and the England cricket team, both being crap at the same time. But I suppose we’ve been here before, many times. In fact, “here” is normal service, anything good happening is an unexpected bonus. 
  • Charlton are having their worse run in our lifetimes ... 7 and counting in 12 seasons of third tier shit ..

The England cricket team have been worse in the past !!!
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

How's stat?!

Andy Zaltzman

Test Match Special statistician on The Cricket Social

Moeen Ali played his first Test in 2014 and has five Test centuries.

No England batsman who has debuted since then has scored more than two centuries.

From same fella

A three-day Test follows a two-day Test, which followed a four-day Test. Before these games, England had not had a three-day Test in India since 1951-52. Since then, before these 3 Tests, 47 of their 53 Tests in India went to Day 5, the other six to Day 4.
    It probably reflects that India are more ruthless now, whether that's down to the BCCI or Kohli, preparing result pitches even if it means that their own batsmen struggle and that Bumrah and Ishant were bystanders

Indeed Ishant must have a record low number of overs bowled for a frontline bowler playing in 4 Tests!
  • This won’t be popular with the Surrey folk on here but Pope seemed to get out in stupid ways this series. I would consider Lawrence over him at 6 at this stage. 

Foakes didn’t do enough with the bat to deserve to keep buttler out.
  • Burns 
    Crawley
    Lawrence
    Root
    Stokes
    Pope
    Buttler
    Stone/ Wood/ Archer
    Leach
    Broad
    Anderson 
  • edited March 2021
    This won’t be popular with the Surrey folk on here but Pope seemed to get out in stupid ways this series. I would consider Lawrence over him at 6 at this stage. 

Pope is having to play a role that is foreign to him and he doesn't know whether to stick or twist. It is his shot selection that is invariably getting him out. I did predict that he had as much chance of not being successful at 6 as he would at batting at 3 and that if he did struggle down the orrder he would be under pressure for his place. He is technically sound and has the highest First Class average of any English qualified player (50.40 including 9 hundreds and 12 fifties from 72 innings) but has batted like a rabbit in headlights on this tour. For that reason I would give him that spot at 3 and just tell him to go out and bat - and by that I mean bat as the batsman you are and not the batsman you think you should be.

Lawrence showed enough application to demonstrate he can be a Test player which is why I suggest he should be given an opportunity at 5 - he's batted four times at 3 and didn't look comfortable there scoring just 53 in total. Down the order he averaged 39.

Stokes - the one thing he proved here was that he can still bowl. Unfortunately, his batting has gone backwards for completely the opposite reasons to Pope. He knows how to finish and destroy an opposition, but as time has gone on and with his earlier exposure, not by just batting at 5 but by the fact that we are 3 down sooner rather than later, he is not batting with any freedom. So I would drop him down one.

Foakes is the best keeper in England. But here's the dilemma - he has been considered as a good player of spin but vulnerable to top pace. This tour has done everything to reaffirm his keeping but nothing to reinforce his batting  - 78 runs at an average of 15.6 is well, very average. This was his chance to grab with the position with both hands but he didn't and the person to benefit most will be Buttler. The latter's keeping has improved, especially standing back and let's face it he isn't going to have to take too many stumpings/catches with our wealth of spinners and given the probably nature of the tracks both here and in Australia. Buttler also has one thing that Foakes doesn't - he is someone who can take a game away from the opposition in a matter of an hour or so.

So for NZ:

1. Burns/Sibley
    2. Crawley
    3. Pope
    4. Root
    5. Lawrence
    6. Stokes
    7. Buttler
    8. Woakes/Curran (S)
    9. Archer/Wood/Stones
    10. Leach/Virdi
    11. Anderson/Broad

• Interesting - and pretty damning - article about England’s mismanagement of their spin options for the last 3 years: 
    https://wisden.com/series-stories/india-v-england/dom-bess-bears-the-brunt-of-years-of-spin-mismanagement
  • This won’t be popular with the Surrey folk on here but Pope seemed to get out in stupid ways this series. I would consider Lawrence over him at 6 at this stage. 

Pope is having to play a role that is foreign to him and he doesn't know whether to stick or twist. It is his shot selection that is invariably getting him out. I did predict that he had as much chance of not being successful at 6 as he would at batting at 3 and that if he did struggle down the orrder he would be under pressure for his place. He is technically sound and has the highest First Class average of any English qualified player (50.40 including 9 hundreds and 12 fifties from 72 innings) but has batted like a rabbit in headlights on this tour. For that reason I would give him that spot at 3 and just tell him to go out and bat - and by that I mean bat as the batsman you are and not the batsman you think you should be.

Lawrence showed enough application to demonstrate he can be a Test player which is why I suggest he should be given an opportunity at 5 - he's batting four times at 3 and didn't look comfortable there scoring just 53 in total. Down the order he averaged 39.

Stokes - the one thing he proved here was that he can still bowl. Unfortunately, his batting has gone backwards for completely the opposite reasons to Pope. He knows how to finish and destroy an opposition, but as time has gone on and with his earlier exposure, not by just batting at 5 but by the fact that we are 3 down sooner rather than later, he is not batting with any freedom. So I would drop him down one.

Foakes is the best keeper in England. But here's the dilemma - he has been considered as a good player of spin but vulnerable to top pace. This tour has done everything to reaffirm his keeping but nothing to reinforce his batting  - 78 runs at an average of 15.6 is well, very average. This was his chance to grab with the position with both hands but he didn't and the person to benefit most will be Buttler. The latter's keeping has improved, especially standing back and let's face it he isn't going to have to take too many stumpings/catches with our wealth of spinners and given the probably nature of the tracks both here and in Australia. Buttler also has one thing that Foakes doesn't - he is someone who can take a game away from the opposition in a matter of an hour or so.

So for NZ:

1. Burns/Sibley
    2. Crawley
    3. Pope
    4. Root
    5. Lawrence
    6. Stokes
    7. Buttler
    8. Woakes/Curran (S)
    9. Archer/Wood/Stones
    10. Leach/Virdi
    11. Anderson/Broad

Very well argued. It should not be a case of Pope vs Lawrence at number 5 or 6, as I’m hopeful that both have a big future as Test players. I’ve long admired Pope’s defensive technique (except against the best quality spin in India, but he’ll be able to work on that). So why not give him a shot at 3? 

Lawrence showed enough application to demonstrate he can be a Test player which is why I suggest he should be given an opportunity at 5 - he's batting four times at 3 and didn't look comfortable there scoring just 53 in total. Down the order he averaged 39.

So for NZ:

1. Burns/Sibley
    2. Crawley
    3. Pope
    4. Root
    5. Lawrence
    6. Stokes
    7. Buttler
    8. Woakes/Curran (S)
    9. Archer/Wood/Stones
    10. Leach/Virdi
    11. Anderson/Broad

Agree largely with you here, though at home I'd be tempted by Anderson & Broad rather than one or the other.
  • I've not seen Virdi play, what are people's thoughts on him?
  • edited March 2021
    I've not seen Virdi play, what are people's thoughts on him?
    Canters is your man for that but he has to be the next man on the rank because the cupboard is so bare
  • Sponsored links:

• Virdi is much, much better than Bess but has limited batting and fielding ability. Gives it an almighty rip. Reminds me of me really 
    @cantersaddick it is your time.....
  • Next summer will be an important one for Pope. After a poor India tour, for the first time there's a slight question mark against him, especially as he wasn't that great last summer either

If anything it's HOW he batted rather than the lack of runs which was of concern, it looked a bit desperate
  • Admittedly most of my opinions on Virdi come from a YouTube stream of a game against Sussex where it was turning pretty square, but he looked irresistible 

So for NZ:

1. Burns/Sibley
    2. Crawley
    3. Pope
    4. Root
    5. Lawrence
    6. Stokes
    7. Buttler
    8. Woakes/Curran (S)
    9. Archer/Wood/Stones
    10. Leach/Virdi
    11. Anderson/Broad

Not saying we didn’t bat well but Before the first test against India, Buttler had the worst batting average out of him Foakes and Bairstow. 

He has now got the best average out of the 3 
  • /Leuth said:
    Virdi is much, much better than Bess but has limited batting and fielding ability. Gives it an almighty rip. Reminds me of me really 
    But I thought you were a gun bat and top fielder too? 

Virdi is an off spinner but I recall seeing some footage of you bowling and thought you were a leggie? That was also on the somewhat uneven surface of your back yard so would need confirmation from your CL team mates that the "it" that rips when you bowl is the ball and not something else to be truly convinced of your ability to turn the ball square. 
  • Leuth said:
    Admittedly most of my opinions on Virdi come from a YouTube stream of a game against Sussex where it was turning pretty square, but he looked irresistible 
    Nothing like you then 🤣
    He had a very, very good winter, if you look back at the tours of Sri Lanka and India.
  • Leuth said:
    Virdi is much, much better than Bess but has limited batting and fielding ability. Gives it an almighty rip. Reminds me of me really 
    I hear he’s a massive Naby Sarr fan too