Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• aaaaah diddums can't believe they didn't make a track suitable for us , that's not very sporting 

• If you look at areas that are under own team's control:

- Team selection. Why 3 pacers + Stokes?

- Won the toss and did not post a decent 1st innings score on a pitch helping both batsmen (lightning outfield) and bowlers
  • mendonca said:
    If you look at areas that are under own team's control:

- Team selection. Why 3 pacers + Stokes?

- Won the toss and did not post a decent 1st innings score on a pitch helping both batsmen (lightning outfield) and bowlers
    Fair points. Our batsmen really didn’t do themselves any favours. 
    BUT...when you think day night test with a pink ball you don’t expect it to be a spinfest that lasts two days. When Root is taking 5-8 against a team that apparently play spin so much better than us, questions have to be asked. 

I didn’t think England would get close to India on this tour with the rotation, COVID bubbles and everything else they mentally have to cope with however, I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised if in the India camp, they knew if they went into this test 1-1 and having to face Broad and Anderson with a pink ball there was a real risk they’d lose and hence, this pitch has been made to ensure that didn’t happen. 

With how quickly wickets fell I don’t think the number of spinners made a difference, you could’ve just bowled Ashwin/Patel and root/leach for the entire game and they would have taken all wickets. 
    If anything the mistake was Root not bowling earlier, as India finished Day 1 on 98-3 and if Root had bowled earlier, more wickets might have fallen on Day 1. Because England had 4 seamers, Root felt obliged to actually use them I assume

The team balance was wrong though, Archer at 8 is a joke, England seem obsessed with the idea that he's a decent Test batman. Bess would have provided spin and a better no 8, or bring Woakes in for one of the seamers
  • Just a grain of good news.  England women wrapped up the 3 Test ODI series in Dunedin today with a comprehensive 7 wicket win - chasing down the 192 after NZ had won the toss and batted first.
  • Looking forward to the cricket tod.... oh.  Oh yeah.
  • This afternoon on Countdown, the target in the numbers round is 49
  • watching continual over after over of spin bowling is just so f**king dull
  • watching continual over after over of spin bowling is just so f**king dull
    It was poor cricket, Richie and Bush completely dug England out yesterday. They failed to mention the match was played on a beach.
    It's not as if India's batting was worldly.
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:
    watching continual over after over of spin bowling is just so f**king dull
    It was poor cricket, Richie and Bush completely dug England out yesterday. They failed to mention the match was played on a beach.
    It's not as if India's batting was worldly.
    They only batted once? Aside from chasing 49 in 46 balls with no loss.
  • Just a grain of good news.  England women wrapped up the 3 Test ODI series in Dunedin today with a comprehensive 7 wicket win - chasing down the 192 after NZ had won the toss and batted first.
    Something happened that you will not see in men's professional cricket. A NZ batsmen walked when England didn't even appeal for a caught behind. Her partner tried to call her back but she wasn't having any of it and gave herself out!
    Something happened that you will not see in men's professional cricket. A NZ batsmen walked when England didn't even appeal for a caught behind. Her partner tried to call her back but she wasn't having any of it and gave herself out!
    Fair enough, she did middle it! I agree it was all a bit odd though. Maybe no-one bothered appealing as it was so obvious and she started walking off. 
  • We have to face the fact that the pitch was prepared solely for spin. We are all aware that Indian pitches are predominantly great for spin attacks anyway......but this was pure comedy!
    With greatest respect to Joe Root, when he can get a five fer eight, then you know something ain’t right......would like to think it wasn’t the case but as Cook said post match.....”something’s not right here.”

• A lot of the balls delivered took batsmen on both sides by surprise. The revolutions on the pink ball gave the impression that it would turn but the lacquer needed to retain the pink colour meant that the ball actually picked up speed and effectively went on with the arm. So batsmen end up playing for spin that wasn't there and the "kick" gave them no opportunity to change their shot.

The round arm actions of both Axar and Root also exaggerated the effect of the pink ball because they aren't traditional "up and over" bowlers and as a result push the ball through that much quicker. 

That's interesting.  Something (fairly) similar happened in a match I played in once.  I was fielding at point, the batsman swished at a short one and it ended up in the wicket keeper's gloves.  There was no reaction from the keeper, bowler, slips or gulley.  I looked around.  Nothing happened.  And nothing continued to happen, for a long time. But, as I had heard a noise, I eventually appealed, very sheepishly.  As soon as I appealed, the batsman turned round, tucked his bat under his arm and walked off.  

I spoke to him afterwards.  He said he knew he had hit it, but wasn't going to walk if no-one on the fielding side thought it was out.  

The issue you have described is different though.  If the fielding side don't appeal, the umpire cannot give it out.  So if the umpire has not given it out, it should (in theory at least) go down as 'retired, out'.  
  • Chizz said:
    Just a grain of good news.  England women wrapped up the 3 Test ODI series in Dunedin today with a comprehensive 7 wicket win - chasing down the 192 after NZ had won the toss and batted first.
    That's interesting.  Something (fairly) similar happened in a match I played in once.  I was fielding at point, the batsman swished at a short one and it ended up in the wicket keeper's gloves.  There was no reaction from the keeper, bowler, slips or gulley.  I looked around.  Nothing happened.  And nothing continued to happen, for a long time. But, as I had heard a noise, I eventually appealed, very sheepishly.  As soon as I appealed, the batsman turned round, tucked his bat under his arm and walked off.  

I spoke to him afterwards.  He said he knew he had hit it, but wasn't going to walk if no-one on the fielding side thought it was out.  

The issue you have described is different though.  If the fielding side don't appeal, the umpire cannot give it out.  So if the umpire has not given it out, it should (in theory at least) go down as 'retired, out'.  
    I recall on one occasion getting caught down the legside but the wicket keeper didn't realise and no one went up for the catch, so I stood my ground. I think I was on nought at the time and went on to get a decent score. I can't remember the actual score I got; it probably wasn't very many. Mind you, I considered 20 a big score.
  • edited February 2021
    We have to face the fact that the pitch was prepared solely for spin. We are all aware that Indian pitches are predominantly great for spin attacks anyway......but this was pure comedy!
    With greatest respect to Joe Root, when he can get a five fer eight, then you know something ain’t right......would like to think it wasn’t the case but as Cook said post match.....”something’s not right here.”

Root is a good bowler; if he wasn’t a batter and captain, with a bad back, he’d bowl a lot more.  

As an aside, I haven’t heard Cook say anything of interest. 
    I can remember an English opener walking without an appeal in an Ashes Test.  I’ve been struggling to remember who it was but I think it was Don Kenyan.
  • Sponsored links:

• just caught up with this shambles of a test 

selectors bringing in 3 seam bowlers plus Stoaks - what are they thinking, that all of a sudden India are gonna provide a seam friendly pitch?!

nice that Root got 5 wickets but why was Bess just a spectator? second innings Root became our front line bowler with Leach. 

Bairstow is fucking useless at test cricket now and i have no idea why he was brought into the side. 

what is with the sweep when taking on spin? the sweep shot from inside their crease does not work. you have to try and go towards the pitch of the ball. these blockheads stand and the Indians deliver - yet another wicket. 
  • Chizz said:
    Just a grain of good news.  England women wrapped up the 3 Test ODI series in Dunedin today with a comprehensive 7 wicket win - chasing down the 192 after NZ had won the toss and batted first.

I recall on one occasion getting caught down the legside but the wicket keeper didn't realise and no one went up for the catch, so I stood my ground. I think I was on nought at the time and went on to get a decent score. I can't remember the actual score I got; it probably wasn't very many. Mind you, I considered 20 a big score.
    Happens the other way round too if the batsman is too honest. School vs OCs ‘81. Innocuous ball down legside taken by keeper, no appeal. OCs gun opener walks off in the direction of the pavilion. I’ll let you guess his identity @thai malaysia addick
  • wmcf123 said:
    We have to face the fact that the pitch was prepared solely for spin. We are all aware that Indian pitches are predominantly great for spin attacks anyway......but this was pure comedy!

Root is a good bowler; if he wasn’t a batter and captain, with a bad back, he’d bowl a lot more.  

He most certainly did say exactly what I mentioned.
    He didn’t expand on that ......just a few words saying “something wasn’t right”
    As for your comments re Root’s bowling figures.......really!
  • wmcf123 said:

He most certainly did say exactly what I mentioned.
    He didn’t expand on that ......just a few words saying “something wasn’t right”
    As for your comments re Root’s bowling figures.......really!
    Doesn’t mean that he’s said anything interesting . 

Yes - I stand by it .  If Root had been bowled as much as Moeen Ali, which I am glad he wasn’t as he wouldn’t have focused on his batting to such an extent, he’d have got as many wickets.  He’s brainy, he hits good areas on the wicket and he has some variety .  
  • The Pakistan Super League is yet another of the seemingly ubiquitous T20 competitions, broadcast live, and with highlights packages on Sky Sports. 

As with many of these tournaments, the broadcaster has an international group of commentators from most of the world's cricketing nations. 

I would imagine that being the lone English commentator in a bubble in Pakistan is not the most attractive gig for a cricket broadcaster. So, the voice you might expect to hear commentating on, say, Islamabad v Quetta might be either a young broadcaster, setting out on his career or, perhaps, an ex country player from a Pakistani family. 

And I think if most people were to write down the names of the two, least likely people they think would commentate on Pakistan domestic cricket, those lists would probably consistently come up with two names of former England captains. 

One of them is busy in the House of Lords these days. 

It's the other one. 
  • Chizz said:
    The Pakistan Super League is yet another of the seemingly ubiquitous T20 competitions, broadcast live, and with highlights packages on Sky Sports. 

As with many of these tournaments, the broadcaster has an international group of commentators from most of the world's cricketing nations. 

I would imagine that being the lone English commentator in a bubble in Pakistan is not the most attractive gig for a cricket broadcaster. So, the voice you might expect to hear commentating on, say, Islamabad v Quetta might be either a young broadcaster, setting out on his career or, perhaps, an ex country player from a Pakistani family. 

And I think if most people were to write down the names of the two, least likely people they think would commentate on Pakistan domestic cricket, those lists would probably consistently come up with two names of former England captains. 

It's the other one. 
    And somewhat sad that he has had to do so. He probably hasn't actually commentated for 20 years but is superb as a link man. We all have to eat.
  • Chizz said:
    The Pakistan Super League is yet another of the seemingly ubiquitous T20 competitions, broadcast live, and with highlights packages on Sky Sports. 

It's the other one. 
    And somewhat sad that he has had to do so. He probably hasn't actually commentated for 20 years but is superb as a link man. We all have to eat.
    Ah yes, poor David Gower, on universal credit and forced to go to foodbanks  ;)
  • AshBurton said:
    Chizz said:

Happens the other way round too if the batsman is too honest. School vs OCs ‘81. Innocuous ball down legside taken by keeper, no appeal. OCs gun opener walks off in the direction of the pavilion. I’ll let you guess his identity @thai malaysia addick
    Caswall?
  • lolwray said:
    AshBurton said:
    Chizz said:

Caswall?
    Kevin Ginn. Caswall later knocked off the runs though. (Sorry, wrong thread for this really)