Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Got to feel a bit sorry for Tom Banton for whom everything is becoming a bit of a challenge:

Reserve player and in bubble for duration of England tour of South Africa without playing
    Pulls out of playing for Big Bash for Brisbane Heat in November due to being in bubbles over the course of summer and in South Africa
    Averages barely 20 in Abu Dhabi T10 comp
    Doesn't get selected for England T20 squad in India
    Goes to play in PPL where he scores 9 runs in 2 games 
    Has now caught Covid and is having to isolate in Pakistan

The kid is only just 22 but it seems that he's on the Franchise merry-go-round and can't get off it to actually clear his mind and start to score runs. T20 and even more T10 is so unforgiving and there is no opportunity to play yourself into form. Hope when he gets back here he can start to do that because he is a talent

• Got to feel a bit sorry for Tom Banton for whom everything is becoming a bit of a challenge:

Reserve player and in bubble for duration of England tour of South Africa without playing
    Pulls out of playing for Big Bash for Brisbane Heat in November due to being in bubbles over the course of summer and in South Africa
    Averages barely 20 in Abu Dhabi T10 comp
    Doesn't get selected for England T20 squad in India
    Goes to play in PPL where he scores 9 runs in 2 games 
    Has now caught Covid and is having to isolate in Pakistan

The kid is only just 22 but it seems that he's on the Franchise merry-go-round and can't get off it to actually clear his mind and start to score runs. T20 and even more T10 is so unforgiving and there is no opportunity to play yourself into form. Hope when he gets back here he can start to do that because he is a talent

Yes, a number of English players have found this out this winter, trying to get used to the local conditions and get some form during a franchise tournament is incredibly hard in the current bubble environment, especially with the pressure on you as the overseas import

I see Joe Denly got a 1st ball duck on Sunday, but then he was bowled by Mohammad Amir!
  • edited March 2021
    England have won the toss and will bat first.

ENG team: Sibley, Crawley, Bairstow, Root, Stokes, Pope, Lawrence, Foakes, Bess, Leach, Anderson
  • We’re gonna be needing a lot of overs from Root and Stokes.
  • India lose a review 2nd ball 
    ball going over 
    some early swing for Ishant 
  • edited March 2021
    T20 Sri Lankan bowler Dananjaya took a hatrick including golden duck for Chris Gayle on his first international for two years 
    Next over by Dananjaya and Pollard hits him for  6 sixes !! 
    Windies won comfortably chased 132 with 6.5 overs left
  • Here we go agsin
  • 10-1
    second ball of spin Sibley bowled Axar 
  • Bairstow looks like a wicket waiting to happen
  • 15-2
    crawley skys Axar 
  • Sponsored links:

• 15-2

Root in before the 10th over again.
  • Root goes to Siraj lbw 
    30-3 first ball after drinks 
  • Good news,  a loss or draw for England means Aussies miss out on World Test Championship final at Lords in June 
  • Good news,  a loss or draw for England means Aussies miss out on World Test Championship final at Lords in June 
    I know Oz are our traditional rivals, but I’d much prefer to see them in the final than India. I’ve gone on record a few times on this site as saying how much I can’t bear the Indian cricket team. I would cheer any other country on against them. 
    Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against India as a country and the people are lovely. It’s just when it comes to cricket I find them appalling.
    They’ve got all of the arrogance of the Aussies with none of the charm.
    All of the sense of entitlement of the English with none of the self-awareness or humour.

Also, New Zealand v Oz is a far tastier looking match up.
  • Each to their own LordRomf but never in a million years with the helms currently in Australian cricket could I have them in front of India , who yes are annoying but not in anyway as orrible as those cheating Aussie twunts 

• Each to their own LordRomf but never in a million years with the helms currently in Australian cricket could I have them in front of India , who yes are annoying but not in anyway as orrible as those cheating Aussie twunts 

I get what you mean Oohaah. And I grant you, the likes of Steve Smith and David Warner are pretty awful cricket people from a sportsmanship perspective. And yes, any disappointment for those two should be a joy for everyone else. I’m not talking about individuals though. There has been a pervading attitude of arrogance, dismissiveness and entitlement in Indian cricket for a number of years now. I find it intensely irritating. With the Aussies, there is at least some mutual pisstaking and it’s often in good spirit. When it comes to India, they can dish it, but can’t take it.

Oh, and if we were talking about individuals, I’d also mention Virat Kohli. Who is an immense bellend.

😀
  • Just caught up - Sibley yet again played for the spin that wasn't there. Crawley tried to be pro-active but coming down the wicket every ball is not the solution against a world class spinner and Root just got caught on the crease, Only surprise was that he didn't review it as seems to be the way for him and Bairstow every time they are given out.

The make up of the team is interesting if only for the fact that we've only gone in with one full time seamer. A 38 year old at that. 

Decent partnership here but this is a better wicket and one can't help thinking that 350 is a minimum requirement. 
  • You can always rely on Ashwin to lose India a review. As you can rely on Bairstow to do the same for England - albeit that this wasn't one of his worst!
  • England didn't lose the review. Perfectly justified, especially as the ball still missed the stumps after barely flicking the pad. Not convinced by Hawkeye there. Was that flick enough to divert the ball upwards?
  • Sponsored links:

• Has Jonny Bairstow ever won a review after being given out? 
  • I really don't understand why we didn't pick Woakes here to bat at 8 and to give us that extra seamer. This wicket also looks more receptive to seam and we've dropped two fast bowlers! Bringing Lawrence in at 7 and dropping Foakes one further down the order to 7 isn't a solution for this game or the future either. 

• Leuth said:
    England didn't lose the review. Perfectly justified, especially as the ball still missed the stumps after barely flicking the pad. Not convinced by Hawkeye there. Was that flick enough to divert the ball upwards?
    No we didn't and as I say, it wasn't his worst review but the fact that it was "Umpire's Call" has only given him the confidence to do it again next time he is plumb! 
  • In a world with 3 reviews for the batting team, it's almost impossible to imagine a batting side running out of reviews. I think it should be 2 batting reviews still tbh
  • edited March 2021
    So we have Lawrence in as an all rounder Batting at 7, and yet we are still gonna post a sub 200 score 
  • Leuth said:
    In a world with 3 reviews for the batting team, it's almost impossible to imagine a batting side running out of reviews. I think it should be 2 batting reviews still tbh
    Yes, but that's a bit unfair on the rest of the team given that two of them are reserved for Root and Bairstow. But you are right. They are meant for the obvious mistakes - the likes of the inside edge for LBW.

The biggest giveaway so far as the ability of players' judgement is concerned is the number of times bowling sides jump up and down as if the batsman is absolutely plumb and inferring that the Umpire is an idiot for not giving it out - and then they don't even take the review!
  • I still think Bairstow's review was completely justified! On this occasion at least
  • MrOneLung said:
    So we have Lawrence in as an all rounder Batting at 7, and yet we are still gonna lost a sub 200 score 
    The fact that Sharma and Siraj have bowled as many overs as Axar and Ashwin tells us that even the Indians think there is something in the wicket for the seamers. How have we left ourselves with just a 38 year old and a part timer bowler. How many overs does Stokes normally bowl in an innings and when was the last time he took the new ball?
  • Whisper it but Stokes is looking like Stokes can look when in form although as I type this he decides to have a "one day waft" at a wide one! Hopefully Pope can just occupy the crease and play himself into form too.
  • Leuth said:
    I still think Bairstow's review was completely justified! On this occasion at least
    On this occasion you have a point. 
    The thing is though that he was out.
    Yet another wasted decision by him.