Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2021 (excluding Ashes)

Comments

• Much better looking team tbh. At least, form wise! 
  • Actually I'd be tempted by Curran at 6 given his form (and lack thereof with the ball)
  • Leuth said:
    Actually I'd be tempted by Curran at 6 given his form (and lack thereof with the ball)
    To me Curran at Test level has to be a batsman who bowls. Put him at No 6 and tell him to play like a batsman rather than a tail ender who can slog a few down the order, as I think his batting is good enough for that to at least be an option
  • Hameed's hair and beard situation is virtually a carbon copy of my own. Feeling vindicated tbh
  • Curran 5-1-28-0
    Robinson & Anderson 12-5-15-0
  • Charlton fan in our row in the new upper Compton. I’m end of row and stood up to let them in. I said as they’re Charlton it was fine. The younger of the 2 had a Charlton hoodie and votv in pocket. Anyone on here? 
  • Curran 5-1-28-0
    Robinson & Anderson 12-5-15-0
    Curran's gentle paced with poor consistency of length and line not up to troubling quality batsmen like Rohit and Rahul, the frequency of his selection in red ball cricket is baffling
    Anderson's figures today are statistically good but the batsmen have had to play less than half his deliveries
    Ollie's quality tho
  • Very poor start for England.Wasnt expecting anyrhing else to be honest.
  • Leuth said:
    Actually I'd be tempted by Curran at 6 given his form (and lack thereof with the ball)
    To me Curran at Test level has to be a batsman who bowls. Put him at No 6 and tell him to play like a batsman rather than a tail ender who can slog a few down the order, as I think his batting is good enough for that to at least be an option
    Probably agree thats where he needs to be long term. But in a pure batting terms he would be unlikely to make my top 10 options to bat number 6.
  • 100-0

Doesn't look a great decision by Root to put India in - especially if the wicket starts to turn when we have to bat last on it
  • Sponsored links:

• Kohli said they would have bowled too.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Kohli said they would have bowled too.
    I'm not saying it was an awful decision but you live or die by them. We haven't actually troubled the Indian batsmen much apart from Pujara who looks like an accident waiting to happen at the moment anyway.

Certainly we haven't been 150-2 off 50 overs too many times in the recent past but with conditions set to improve for the next couple of days I would hope that we do. It's that final day that concerns me.
  • another cliché from ye olden days of cricket .. win the toss, think about putting the oppo in  .. THEN BAT
  • I haven’t picked up a cricket bat in 25 years but I wouldn’t mind facing curran 
  • Can't see Curran playing too many more Tests. Wood might be running out of time as well. England need more bowlers like Robinson, not like Wood. Yes blah blah pace in Australia, didn't see McGrath getting dropped for home Tests now did you
  • I see a young chap named Cook scored a century for Essex today, maybe worth a place in the England team
  • Bar closed at 6…. Hmmmmm match continuing till 6.50…. 
  • Curran is the weak link bowlers build pressure for him to jsut throw it away literally. I understand he has the potential to be a fantastic player but Mahmoud is such a bigger threat.
  • Curran is the weak link bowlers build pressure for him to jsut throw it away literally. I understand he has the potential to be a fantastic player but Mahmoud is such a bigger threat.
    With Mahmoud in place of Curran, you have a  really long tail, that's the problem
  • Sponsored links:

• Quality innings by Rahul. Impressive how this series he's really been able to knuckle down and play the Sibley/Cook way when necessary, as it's not his natural game
  • Lords need to address the entrances as that queue for the north gate was horrific from 10.30, almost queuing back to St. John’s Wood. Capacity at that end has significantly increased but infrastructure has not. The teams on the gates are brilliant but do not have the tools to get through the crowds at that pinch point. Thankfully the toss and start were delayed or they’d have been soooo many people singing the nash on St. John’s road. Also, we had tickets on the new app but the computer asked to see the print outs. Many people didn’t have them. We had email versions but took ages to load up which didn’t help the queues. 

The app ticket also give NO information about how to get to your seat (no staircase or entrance gate which is fundamental) and the new signage for the Compton upper was dreadful where the arrows point in the wrong direction. The temp bar doesn’t serve much either. Great view though. 

• Lords need to address the entrances as that queue for the north gate was horrific from 10.30, almost queuing back to St. John’s Wood. Capacity at that end has significantly increased but infrastructure has not. The teams on the gates are brilliant but do not have the tools to get through the crowds at that pinch point. Thankfully the toss and start were delayed or they’d have been soooo many people singing the nash on St. John’s road. Also, we had tickets on the new app but the computer asked to see the print outs. Many people didn’t have them. We had email versions but took ages to load up which didn’t help the queues. 

The app ticket also give NO information about how to get to your seat (no staircase or entrance gate which is fundamental) and the new signage for the Compton upper was dreadful where the arrows point in the wrong direction. The temp bar doesn’t serve much either. Great view though. 

I was in the Upper Edrich last month, and yes the upstairs bar was rubbish, hence most people were going downstairs

From memory, I printed my ticket but also had it on the App which worked fine. The whole point of the App if that you don't need to print a ticket...

I'm in the Lower Edrich tomorrow (and have printed my ticket!)
  • lolwray said:
    Curran is the weak link bowlers build pressure for him to jsut throw it away literally. I understand he has the potential to be a fantastic player but Mahmoud is such a bigger threat.
    With Mahmoud in place of Curran, you have a  really long tail, that's the problem
    Curran is what we used to call a bits and pieces player see dermot Reeve and Derek pringle 

As a bowler does he have the potential to bowl a side out eg take 5 or 6 wickets in an innings? No 

Can he score a test match century here and there ? Probably not

As an all rounder he doesn't compare to stokes or Ali or even Woakes 

He should concentrate on the IPL circus 
    I might sound harsh but I know I am right 

Largely agree. Useful player to have in and around the squad and on his day has a habit of making things happen. But probably not there yet. Should be looking to turn himself into a Kallis allrounder of he wants to play tests. But I imagine he is happy enough on the white ball circuit.
  • I'm aiming to get there 10am tomorrow, so gives an hour from SJW tube to get in.
    I may go 15m earlier after the heads up.
    Alternating between Lower Grandstand & Lower Compton tomorrow. 
  • lolwray said:
    Curran is the weak link bowlers build pressure for him to jsut throw it away literally. I understand he has the potential to be a fantastic player but Mahmoud is such a bigger threat.
    Curran is what we used to call a bits and pieces player see dermot Reeve and Derek pringle 

As a bowler does he have the potential to bowl a side out eg take 5 or 6 wickets in an innings? No 

Largely agree. Useful player to have in and around the squad and on his day has a habit of making things happen. But probably not there yet. Should be looking to turn himself into a Kallis allrounder of he wants to play tests. But I imagine he is happy enough on the white ball circuit.
    He’s definitely a poor man’s woakes, performs pretty much the exact same role. Still, it’s worth remembering he’s still only 23. A lot more to come from him. 
  • Woke up early I'm in already. 
  • Don't forget to wear something red today, as a celebration of the Lord's #RedForRuth day.  

You can find out about it here https://ruthstraussfoundation.com/events/redforruth2021/ - and make donations to enable parents to open up to their children about their terminal diagnosis, grief, death and dying, here https://ruthstraussfoundation.com/donate/ 
  • lolwray said:

Their respective bowling stats aren't too dissimilar though Kallis's is still better and he bowled a heavier ball. Their Test and First Class batting averages are world's apart though - Kallis 55.37 and 54.10 as opposed to Curran's 26.66 and 28.01 respectively - are world's apart. Stokes would probably be a better comparison but Curran is a long way off being that too.