Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• LB - "We've made two bids for Randall at Exeter but don't think he's in our price range" 
  • sammy391 said:
    confirmed two bids for Joel Randall...
    Another was ready to come down, and would have started - still available- wonder if it’s the Bournemouth fella
    Sorry I cant help but smile (and lol!) your post for this comment

Memories of Dowie and Stephens :)
  • edited January 2021
    LB - "We've made two bids for Randall at Exeter but don't think he's in our price range" 
    Sounds like we've bid about £1m, edit: Exeter want £1m

• Would make sense going after that Exeter player then...

Isn't Gilbey meant to be the box to box midfielder who scores goals?
    Yeah I'd agree with that - I wonder if Gilbey and even Washington are in a similar brackett to Levitt - We had to sign someone, we just had to else we were going into League One in a similar boat to the one Wigan found themselves in

Had the Takeover happened sooner, would we have put the handbrake on and would we have gone looking for better? - They're gone now, they should be confined to the history books (if that) as I'm tired of talking about them myself, but throughout this bad run of form it feels still as though ESI are now being forgotten about with the season we're having.

They're the reason we had to try and make some in roads into strengthening when we did, when Gilbey and Washington came in, we certainly didnt know if Sandgaard's takeover was going to make it through - Feels too rosey, just because they've pissed off that everything can proceed and mend with speed, it aint gonna happen, its going to be a slow recovery unfortunately from the mess that ESI created, let alone recovering from the one that Roland left us in
    Gilbey is on a 3 year contract, yes he's been poor recently, but it seems a luxury to bring in another person in the same position. Especially as Gilbey and Washington came in before the salary cap came into force so their full salary won't count
  • Rich Cawley also has a fair idea who the player is that Bowyer has mentioned today

Isnt mentioning names though so be surprised if it was the Bournemouth lad

at least he recognises we need more up top - can't start with the 3 muskateers  ever again and expect anything from a game

Isn't Gilbey meant to be the box to box midfielder who scores goals?
    Yeah I'd agree with that - I wonder if Gilbey and even Washington are in a similar brackett to Levitt - We had to sign someone, we just had to else we were going into League One in a similar boat to the one Wigan found themselves in

Had the Takeover happened sooner, would we have put the handbrake on and would we have gone looking for better? - They're gone now, they should be confined to the history books (if that) as I'm tired of talking about them myself, but throughout this bad run of form it feels still as though ESI are now being forgotten about with the season we're having.

They're the reason we had to try and make some in roads into strengthening when we did, when Gilbey and Washington came in, we certainly didnt know if Sandgaard's takeover was going to make it through - Feels too rosey, just because they've pissed off that everything can proceed and mend with speed, it aint gonna happen, its going to be a slow recovery unfortunately from the mess that ESI created, let alone recovering from the one that Roland left us in
    Stop with all this pish posh logic and context, where’s the tribalism?!
  • edited January 2021
    LB - "We've made two bids for Randall at Exeter but don't think he's in our price range" 
    Sounds like we've bid about £1m, edit: Exeter want £1m

Very hard to get deals done for good players in January. Reckon this might be one that gets done in the summer if no-one jumps in and pays over the odds now.
  • Not surprised Exeter are holding out for £1m+ , don't think we've got any chance if a Championship club comes in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    sammy391 said:
    Another was ready to come down, and would have started - still available- wonder if it’s the Bournemouth fella
    Come down, if that's the words that were used, implies they're from oop north? Wouldn't be the bloke from Bournemouth if so.
  • sammy391 said:
    Come down, if that's the words that were used, implies they're from oop north? Wouldn't be the bloke from Bournemouth if so.
    I think that's probably reading too much into it.
  • Redrobo said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Would make sense going after that Exeter player then...

at least he recognises we need more up top - can't start with the 3 muskateers  ever again and expect anything from a game
    I thought Bogle was excellent and if Smyth had been alert he would have had an assist.
    We didn’t lose this match because of the front three either. We lost it from two mistakes. They should not have been made, and it is unusual for a team to score from so little chances. We were a tad unlucky.
    Shit pitch and you can see why they play it long. Their pitch must be worth 10 points a season!
    It is easy to say buy, buy, buy. But the answer in January is who,who,who.

bogle was excellent? come on, you don't really believe that do you? they would have scored eventually anyway and we wouldn't have with them 3 up top  
  • sammy391 said:
    Come down from the championship? Nah, you’re probably right.

then again, bowyer probably thinks Bournemouth is up north
  • Who is this mystery player then? 
  • Sponsored links:

• With regards to Randall Id agree that £1m is a bit steep but look at Brentford with Watkins... They brought him in for £1.8m I think it was and got a ridiculous fee

We surely need to be looking beyond the £1m fee now and consider the prospect of what we could get for him in the future as in the world of FFP, thats the only way we're getting back to the Premier League
    Watkins had played a lot more games for Exeter.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=74516

It's a lot of money to pay for a player who's next even had a full season of first team football - but each player needs to be judged individually, and TS will have to spend to achieve his ambitions.
  • J BLOCK said:
    I didn’t read that as a dig at TS tbh. Think it was just frustration from Bows that it didn’t get done
  • mart77 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I didn’t read that as a dig at TS tbh. Think it was just frustration from Bows that it didn’t get done
    But TS will be a big part of any deal that gets done, due to him holding the purse strings. It's either him or Gallen he can be having a go at. 

Strange comment to make either way. 
  • J BLOCK said: it
    mart77 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    But TS will be a big part of any deal that gets done, due to him holding the purse strings. It's either him or Gallen he can be having a go at. 

Or ged roddy getting involved in transfers. 
  • edited January 2021
    This season's over.
    We ain't going up. 
    Rather than make rash decisions now wait until the summer and rebuild the squad 

I would agree with you in most cases, except the two players most under discussion are young and considered excellent and are not really expensive at all in the scheme of things (assuming we get them below the ask price.) Usually, nothing but bad deals happen in the winter transfer market, as you say, but in this case, because so many teams are short of cash, we can get solid players that might not be available at such prices under normal economic circumstances. I believe we should strike while the iron is hot and when other clubs are desperate. We are not desperate.
    mart77 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Or Parkes who does all the paperwork. It could be directed at any number of people.
    mart77 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Maybe they're not sure of signing another player if they aren't sure Bowyer is the man to lead us going forward.

Or maybe he'll sign tomorrow and that comment will all be forgotten about 
  • edited January 2021
    I wouldn't read too much into that comment, we now know post match Lee can come out with the wrong wording, had we won I doubt we even hear about the signing till he's signed.

Here's the issue with the fee, that is now the going rate for talents at that level, a million is a lot of money, but not in the footballing world. If Randall carries on his form and plays the rest of the season his value shoots up and all of a sudden we are definitely out of the running. 

Easy to say sign this player and this player when it isn't our money. It may come to bite us in the future but a million for a kid with a handful of games for a league 2 side does seem out of our range, despite the comparisons by their fans to Watkins 
  • So if we sign Randall which LM do we stick at RM?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    So if we sign Randall which LM do we stick at RM?
    Millar