Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2021 Transfer Targets (last minute swoop for Jaiyesimi p184 - NOW it's all over.)

Comments

• ct_addick said:
    We got a sell-on for Grant and will likely get a fee for Doughty. Will be interesting to see if TS will reinvest that money
    On the Covid loss.
  • ct_addick said:
    We got a sell-on for Grant and will likely get a fee for Doughty. Will be interesting to see if TS will reinvest that money
    On the Covid loss.
    Yeah Sandgaard has always said that the money from Grant etc had to go back into the club running costs what with no fans at the moment
  • Ofoborh on the bench for Bournemouth, maybe the deal isn’t done. 
  • edited January 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    I hear deal with Bournemouth done.
    Tut, tut, tut. 

"deal with Bournemouth done" That's listable.
    He is right though the deal has been done.  7 year contract and a clause saying he doesn’t have to train or play if he doesn’t fancy it. Not bad for £10k a week. Oh and he can also leave on a free transfer if we ever lose a game or if a team whose name ends in “Football Club” come in for him.
  • ct_addick said:
    On the Covid loss.
    Yeah Sandgaard has always said that the money from Grant etc had to go back into the club running costs what with no fans at the moment.
    Boooooo. Sandgaard out !!
  • edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    If you sign a 19/20 year old on a 5 yr contract at, say £6k pw as they fall outside the cap then, when they become of age to be included does their inclusion come at full £6K or at the £2k average given they are already at the club (hope that makes sense!)
    You just risk pissing off the rest of the squad who will be on less, not to mention if they're a flop we're potentially stuck with them 
    I think the question is that if a youngster is on a contract, what happens next season if he is then of age. Will his wages be the low average or the full amount?
    The way I understand it, if a 20-year old signs a five year deal then their Contract wont effect the Salary Cap for the entirety of the five years 

The moment they come to sign a new deal (even if its on the same terms) because they're 25 they'll then impact it
    If that is true then I can't see any reason why you wouldn't sign them up on a 3 or 4 year deal. If you aren't out of the division in that time then you'd be in serious trouble anyway. 

As for pissing off other players.....tough. That happens in all walks of life, but especially sport. Unheard of for players to be earning exactly the same or even having the same type of contract (different lengths, image rights etc). Players like Pratley, Gunter & Watson have already had decent salaries in their careers. And if players do take umbridge then tell them to speak to their Union & get the salary cap quashed. Only themselves to blame to still be effectively under a form of wage constraint & restrictive practices. Thought Maggie got then abolished 30 years ago.
  • FAVADDICK said:
    It looks like we're trying to build for the future now which is good younh hungry players that don't affect the budget this year would be a very good way to go 
    Which is exactly why I don't see the rush in going up asap, I want to do it the same way other successful back to back promotion sides have done it. Experienced players on long term contracts who can make the step up and youngsters with potential who can as well. Right now we are looking at a squad that will be reset again for next season.

Signings like the Bournemouth and Exeter lads fit this criteria. Marathon not a sprint 
    There is arguably a need for some urgency because if we don't get promotion this season and the salary cap stays in place as it is, we will be stuck trying to rebuild a squad under very tight financial constraints.
  • Randall and the Bournemouth lad would be fantastic business 
    Don't know why but in my head I read this in the voice of Harry Redknapp
    Now try as Sam alladyce 
  • Redrobo said:
    If you sign a 19/20 year old on a 5 yr contract at, say £6k pw as they fall outside the cap then, when they become of age to be included does their inclusion come at full £6K or at the £2k average given they are already at the club (hope that makes sense!)
    You just risk pissing off the rest of the squad who will be on less, not to mention if they're a flop we're potentially stuck with them 
    I think the question is that if a youngster is on a contract, what happens next season if he is then of age. Will his wages be the low average or the full amount?
    The way I understand it, if a 20-year old signs a five year deal then their Contract wont effect the Salary Cap for the entirety of the five years 

The moment they come to sign a new deal (even if its on the same terms) because they're 25 they'll then impact it
    If that is true then I can't see any reason why you wouldn't sign them up on a 3 or 4 year deal. If you aren't out of the division in that time then you'd be in serious trouble anyway. 

As for pissing off other players.....tough. That happens in all walks of life, but especially sport. Unheard of for players to be earning exactly the same or even having the same type of contract (different lengths, image rights etc). Players like Pratley, Gunter & Watson have already had decent salaries in their careers. And if players do take umbridge then tell them to speak to their Union & get the salary cap quashed. Only themselves to blame to still be effectively under a form of wage constraint & restrictive practices. Thought Maggie got then abolished 30 years ago.
    Dont forget Naby only left in the summer after his first contract expired!! - He never signed a Contract Extension with us, we got lucky in the end that it turned out as well as it did for us - We've had plenty of dross under Roland that signed on three / four year deals

There is no guarantee that any player signed on a deal that long will work out, and then they dont have to go anywhere, we've seen from the like of Jack Rodwell (Sunderland) how Footballers can dig their heals in and ensure a contract is honoured by the club and rightly so
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd rather take the gamble on a 3 or 4 year contract with maybe 1 or 2 not working out than the ever churning squad that we've had to put up with over the past 8 years or so. Not many players stick around after their initial contract (look at Taylor) so I think it's best you tie them down for a longer period of time.
    It comes down to the fine balance again - With Gallen in control you'd hope if we are dishing out three / four year deals its to the right people if thats what we start doing - I completely agree with you though, these endless pissy one / two year deals arent going to build the sort of squad that can carry on the momentum of promotion from League One to the Championship
  • edited January 2021
    I'd rather take the gamble on a 3 or 4 year contract with maybe 1 or 2 not working out than the ever churning squad that we've had to put up with over the past 8 years or so. Not many players stick around after their initial contract (look at Taylor) so I think it's best you tie them down for a longer period of time.
    This is the way to do it. You can't hit on every signing but you have to back your scouting team to do the job they're paid to do. If you pick up five players at a million quid each and two of them go on to be sold for 5-10 million each while you can recoup a million or two in total on the other three, you've still made money on them as a collective group.
  • Joel Randall is a very good player.  Decent with both feet and certainly has an eye for goal. 

Passing looks pretty solid and he has lovely technique when striking the ball.

Right footer but plays left wing and there are similarities with Grealish as someone already said.  Would be a good signing and would like to think Matt Taylor would put in a good word
  • Another player who has caught the eye is Scott Twine of Swindon (on loan from Newport I think).

Couple of glorious goals and another player with lovely technique.  Another 21 year old
  • Liam kinsella from colchester? 

J ust went down a wiki rabbit hole, his sister is a pretty decent gymnast too. Both look like their dad
  • edited January 2021
    The salary cap is a nice idea in theory, making it more of a level playing field and trying to curb excess spending and silly wages, but when has life been a level playing field and since when do people doing the same job in similar companies get paid the same, or rather have their salary capped?
    Imagine City brokers being told your salaries are being capped at x and the exceptional ones end up being paid the same as crap ones? And isn’t it somehow a restraint of trade or something? 

It sure is.
    Just like FFP has turned out to be a bad idea that simply keeps currently rich clubs rich. Given many of those clubs got that way via sugar daddies, FFP simply locks out all other potential sugar daddies in the future from doing the same thing, thus acting as an illegal constraint of trade.
    In the USA such things as salary caps in football were also challenged and would have been eliminated in the courts until Congress passed a bill protecting the NFL from all such suits. Clearly when you tell a business or market that "you can only play people X and spend Z" that it is an illegal scheme to protect those at the top, limit competition and limit wages of labour. The argument that FFP or wage limits "protects" teams from losing too much money has been proven laughably false.
    FFP has only benefitted perhaps the top 10-12 clubs of Europe. For everyone else it acts as a cap on their futures.
  • I’ll be amazed if either signing comes off as there are bigger fish in for both players, but isn’t it just great that we’re actually looking to sign young and exciting players. 

There needs to be a major gutting of the squad this summer. The likes of Williams, Pearce, Watson, Pratley, Bogle, and potentially a few more will most likely be gone. 

If we can do some of the rebuilding now it saves the massive overhaul next summer.  
    And that was before tonight’s game!
  • 4 defenders please 
  • This season's over.
    We ain't going up. 
    Rather than make rash decisions now wait until the summer and rebuild the squad 
  • Sponsored links:

• This season's over.
    We ain't going up. 
    Rather than make rash decisions now wait until the summer and rebuild the squad 
    This
  • Inclined to agree, as hard as that feels to say it.
  • Who was the player Bowyer said we almost signed before tonight? 
  • Frustrating for Bowyer, ownership issues resolved, now a salary cap making it difficult. I’m sure he’d replace several players now with new signings if he could.