Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harsh on Williams today

Comments

• Options
    I was rewatching Sunderland Til I Die yesterday. Notable that when he was speaking to the psychologist they discussed how he had only performed at his best when he had a manager who encouraged him, due to his deep fear of failure. He is clearly a fragile soul.

Management is all about understanding what levers to pull for each individual. Not every person responds well to being challenged, some need an arm around the shoulder.

I'm not sure if Bowyer has the motivational dexterity to work with Johnny's type, or indeed the tactical dexterity to work with creative more free spirited maverick types.

It will be interesting to see how his relationship with Innis develops over time.
    The question is how long do you give a player? JW has been at the club 2.5 years now and how many true moments of magic have we seen? Surely this is a two way street? Bow might be saying it's now your time to step up mate and give me something back!
  • Options
    agim said:
    I was rewatching Sunderland Til I Die yesterday. Notable that when he was speaking to the psychologist they discussed how he had only performed at his best when he had a manager who encouraged him, due to his deep fear of failure. He is clearly a fragile soul.

Management is all about understanding what levers to pull for each individual. Not every person responds well to being challenged, some need an arm around the shoulder.

I'm not sure if Bowyer has the motivational dexterity to work with Johnny's type, or indeed the tactical dexterity to work with creative more free spirited maverick types.

It will be interesting to see how his relationship with Innis develops over time.
    The question is how long do you give a player? JW has been at the club 2.5 years now and how many true moments of magic have we seen? Surely this is a two way street? Bow might be saying it's now your time to step up mate and give me something back!
    I thought my anger would subside, but it is still pretty strong. Firstly, Williams is above League One level by a considerable margin. For some reason, Bowyer has got it in for him. It has been evident for a while and it looks to me like he is trying to get him to leave. Just like he did with Fosu.
  • Options
    He was off the pace when he came on, went down looking for free kicks which the ref saw and ignored and then bottled a tackle which could have been costly for us. Given Bowyer has already said he wants see more from him in training, I am not entirely surprised at him getting the hook although I agree it's a big step for a manager because it's a very public rebuke. You can't say 'in Bowyer we trust' every five minutes when it's going well and then start questioning whether he's up to it the minute it's not. 
    I agree that shouting "Bowyer out" over one or two incidents is daft. But there is nothing wrong with questioning an individual decision if you find it odd.     
  • Options
    From what I have seen, he can play more than he is being played. He does tire, but the way he plays is very busy. If it is clear he can leave in January, I would expect a Championship team to sign him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    If Williams is above L1 level why is he not capable of playing a full game at L1 level and why has no club tried to sign him? 
    How often does he even play well at L1 level? I don't understand these "He's way above this level" comments at all. Based on what? Not how he plays
    Fair comment. Yes he changed the play off final and has shown some glimpses of undoubted Championship quality, but they are far outweighed by performances offering very little. 
  • Options
    Williams starts for Wales. His coming on changed the Playoff final. 

We're taking a skillful attacking mid, who relieves pressure on our defence (as shown at the weekend) and actually carries the ball up field. He takes markers away from our strikers and gives us an outlet  We knew when we signed him that goals aren't his game. We also knew, he wasn't there to be a midfield enforcer. If you're starting both Pratley and Watson, you need a player that can actually attack a space- you already have two midfield enforcers to do the dirty work. 

Whilst I usually agree with Grapevine's posts, I find the obsession with stats from both his post and many others to be quite strange. Football is about far more than stats, as the majority of our fanbase were saying when Duchatelet and Driesen attempted to replicate Moneyball with our signings. 

For me its a simple equation, do we look better with Williams than without him? Would I rather he was starting for our opposition than us? The answer to both of those questions is no. 
    I think stats are very important, but reading beyond them is even more important.
  • Options
    We're going all the way back to the play-off final
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Chunes said:
    We're going all the way back to the play-off final
    How many times since then has Williams actually been allowed to play his game? As many have alluded to, Bowyer has history trying to shoehorn skilfull players into roles that do not suit their games, and then criticising them publicly for it
    What position was he playing in the final? I seem to remember him dribbling down the left. 

Williams has to take responsibility, I don't know why our fans wrap him up in wool and say nothing is his fault like doting mothers. Even if he is playing out of position (and it's not like he's playing right-back) then you would expect him to at least show quality in moments where he finds himself up the pitch with the ball. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Quote from one of the first team players this morning.

"Bowyer has f****** lost it"
    Would like to know if they meant gone batshit for the mistakes or actually lost it?

He can't expect perfection every game from his players, just as we should not expect it from him and the players. 
    Lost it as in, 'the plot'. I can also add "that tactics are non existence"
    Im sorry havent read past this point to see what others have said or whats been expanded on but if this is even true whatever first team player is saying this hasnt been here long at all or showed even a tiny bit as much loyalty or passion as bowyer has along with the fact bowyer has worked miracles since the very first time he came in with us

hes given us many many great times over the recent past with playoffs and wembley and sticking with us throughout the rubbish with ownership who knows what wld have happened had he left!! and i know whos side i pick over what is no doubt a player throwing his toys out the pram describing him because of something he doesnt like about bowyer when things have got a little tuff lately 
    no doubt them and there agent are bigtime charlies thinking there something special like a few we have had lately

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Quote from one of the first team players this morning.

"Bowyer has f****** lost it"
    Would like to know if they meant gone batshit for the mistakes or actually lost it?

He can't expect perfection every game from his players, just as we should not expect it from him and the players. 
    Lost it as in, 'the plot'. I can also add "that tactics are non existence"
    Im sorry havent read past this point to see what others have said or whats been expanded on but if this is even true whatever first team player is saying this hasnt been here long at all or showed even a tiny bit as much loyalty or passion as bowyer has along with the fact bowyer has worked miracles since the very first time he came in with us

hes given us many many great times over the recent past with playoffs and wembley and sticking with us throughout the rubbish with ownership who knows what wld have happened had he left!! and i know whos side i pick over what is no doubt a player throwing his toys out the pram describing him because of something he doesnt like about bowyer when things have got a little tuff lately 
    no doubt them and there agent are bigtime charlies thinking there something special like a few we have had lately

I can assure you it's true. And the player has been here a while. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Regarding the quote that Bowyer has lost it, leaves me thinking and
    wondering what was the agenda here, what sort of quote was it, are
    we talking of a players revolt, a personal opinion, what was the point
    or aim in raising this in the first place.
    Maybe if a players collective, are they trying to get the fans to take it up
    and expand the possible rumor in the hope of getting their word out there
    while not actually owning the situation.
    Just seems a bit strange, and i do believe it is true, which is sad for the club.
  • Options
    Nailed on now for Saturday at 5pm to be reading that the players have stopped playing for Bowyer and are trying to get him sacked
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    It is quite normal for players to do this when things are getting tougher. Firstly, there will be players who feel they can't say anything when things are going well, you can't keep them all happy, but a few bad results make it easier. It is also quite possible that Bowyer is pissing off a few new ones and this is not good at all.

I think somebody senior could put their hand on his shoulder and help him get back on track, but I am not sure he has that or would even be receptive to it. The problem Thomas has is if this issue is not addressed, it will affect morale and of course results.

There are people saying wait until the end of January, but we are still well placed for promotion now. We may not be if we wait. Thomas has a lot of money in this and will surely be more proactive rather than wait for a growing crack to potentially turn into a chasm. Bowyer needs to sort this out now and accept the blame for his part in it. He is the same person he was and he needs to get back into that space or sadly go if he can't.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Williams is ranked 16th by CL members on the stats, in a CAFC team which most agree aren't playing that well.
    It's not good for a player apparently too good for L1 and should be in The Championship.

He was ranked 7th out of 11 for the Pompey game.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/90580/statbank-shrewsbury-1-1-charlton#latest
  • Options
    Maybe some of us think more can be got out of a player of his ability.
  • Options
    It is quite normal for players to do this when things are getting tougher. Firstly, there will be players who feel they can't say anything when things are going well, you can't keep them all happy, but a few bad results make it easier. It is also quite possible that Bowyer is pissing off a few new ones and this is not good at all.

I think somebody senior could put their hand on his shoulder and help him get back on track, but I am not sure he has that or would even be receptive to it. The problem Thomas has is if this issue is not addressed, it will affect morale and of course results.

There are people saying wait until the end of January, but we are still well placed for promotion now. We may not be if we wait. Thomas has a lot of money in this and will surely be more proactive rather than wait for a growing crack to potentially turn into a chasm. Bowyer needs to sort this out now and accept the blame for his part in it. He is the same person he was and he needs to get back into that space or sadly go if he can't.
    So you say "we are well placed for promotion now" and yet you want to sack Bowyer.
    Give me strength.
    I'm out.
  • Options
    We are a big side in a shit league. Bowyer is showing signs of losing it and acting in a way by singling out players for public criticism that will lose you the dressing room. This needs sorting out to increase our chances of getting promotion.

I am not saying sack him, I am saying he needs to sort this out urgently or be sacked. We are in league One FFS! Do you actually watch and understand how shit this league actually is?