Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harsh on Williams today

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    Going to keep saying this, but Williams made a huge positive difference when he came on, and subbing him off was absolutely ridiculous whichever way you look at it, even if him not diving into a tackle he'd never have won was maybe a little bit soft.

Bowyer didn't choose team over player. He ruined our shape and invited Shrewsbury on even more. He chose 'discipline' over everything else. 
    This is kind of my feeling on the substitution. 

Williams has struggled to impact games prior to Ipswich. In both the Ipswich and Shrewsbury games he was having a positive impact, to haul him off and then call him out for stepping out of one challenge is unfair. He had shown massive signs of improvement and was getting challenges in. He then jumped over one challenge that was a 50/50. 

- Morgan stepped out of quite a few challenges in running games, one led to a goal another led to a 1-1 with the keeper. Morgan has since stamped that out and is looking fantastic if still inconsistent at times (as shown by his two shanked clearances. 
    - Bogle was constantly out of position and ignoring Bowyer's instructions, so his sub and call out made sense.  
    - Williams jumped one 50/50, he didn't get a chance to show he could rectify that, it did nearly lead to a goal, but the whole defensive line were there to face the attack and failed to deal with it. 

The only reason I am torn is because I agree that you must treat players equally. You can't sub off Bogle and Morgan in the past, without doing the same to Williams. 

I also find it incredibly harsh to call out Morgan for his shanked clearance... It happens at every level... Anyone remember this from Jenkinson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAeGbjU3bY
  • Options
    That was a beaut.

Agree that he has started a precedent now.
  • Options
    We need to move on from this pretty quickly, arguing amongst ourselves doesn't help us.

Its been a pretty rubbish week , but we need to look forward and stay positive.

5 more matches in December to play for, feel like we need 5 wins from them to make up for points dropped in recent games.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    We need to move on from this pretty quickly, arguing amongst ourselves doesn't help us.

Its been a pretty rubbish week , but we need to look forward and stay positive.

5 more matches in December to play for, feel like we need 5 wins from them to make up for points dropped in recent games.
    To be honest, 2 wins and 3 draws is acceptable. or 3 wins and 2 losses IMO. The target has not changed of play offs as a minimum and we're still in the mix for that. 

Wimbledon - W
    Bristol - D
    Swindon - W
    Plymouth - D
    Peterborough - D
  • Options
    edited December 2020

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Leuth said:
    Going to keep saying this, but Williams made a huge positive difference when he came on, and subbing him off was absolutely ridiculous whichever way you look at it, even if him not diving into a tackle he'd never have won was maybe a little bit soft.

Bowyer didn't choose team over player. He ruined our shape and invited Shrewsbury on even more. He chose 'discipline' over everything else. 

I also find it incredibly harsh to call out Morgan for his shanked clearance... It happens at every level... Anyone remember this from Jenkinson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAeGbjU3bY
    That was a helluva goal ..... keeper beat all ends up!

Wenger shakes his head silently in disbelief - but no jumping up and down, berating the player or other histrionics. Bowyer please note.
    And great reaction from 2 of the subs who try to comfort a distraught Jenkinson. 

Your heart goes out to Jenkinson though. I've never scored an OG so spectacular ..... my handful were a couple of unlucky ricochets; a full stretch attempt to clear off the line that I couldn't keep out; plus a passback to the keeper wide of the near post that he somehow managed to fumble and divert into the net - but I got the blame! haha

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Management is all about understanding what levers to pull for each individual. Not every person responds well to being challenged, some need an arm around the shoulder.

I'm not sure if Bowyer has the motivational dexterity to work with Johnny's type, or indeed the tactical dexterity to work with creative more free spirited maverick types.

It's been a stressful, pressure-cooker year for Bowyer.
    He's knackered.

I think Bowyer just needs to go fishing.

I do think with all the stuff going on at the club it’s bound to have taken it’s toll on Lee, I’m pleased we’ve got another week before another match, hopefully he can go to his ‘happy place’ and I don’t mean turf moor! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was rewatching Sunderland Til I Die yesterday. Notable that when he was speaking to the psychologist they discussed how he had only performed at his best when he had a manager who encouraged him, due to his deep fear of failure. He is clearly a fragile soul.

Management is all about understanding what levers to pull for each individual. Not every person responds well to being challenged, some need an arm around the shoulder.

I'm not sure if Bowyer has the motivational dexterity to work with Johnny's type, or indeed the tactical dexterity to work with creative more free spirited maverick types.

It will be interesting to see how his relationship with Innis develops over time.
    I'm not sure we want a tough tackler like Inniss back in the team.
    Surely we should be letting the opposition have a free run at goal?  :-)
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Quote from one of the first team players this morning.

"Bowyer has f****** lost it"
    👀
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Where is this from mate?
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Would like to know if they meant gone batshit for the mistakes or actually lost it?

He can't expect perfection every game from his players, just as we should not expect it from him and the players. 
  • Options
    Think Bowyer is being a bit of a nob here tbh. He seems to be losing it a little. Im not comfortable with him publicly digging out the players or trying to prove a point by subbing them early. Pull them over to the touch line and bollock them by all means, but this just seems a bit odd. As others have said, he does have history, Bonne, Morgan, Bogle, MM, the fans and he was probably a bit too honest about Levitt after Northampton this season too! Keep it in house ffs. Feels like our season is unravelling a little bit...
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Would like to know if they meant gone batshit for the mistakes or actually lost it?

He can't expect perfection every game from his players, just as we should not expect it from him and the players. 
    Lost it as in, 'the plot'. I can also add "that tactics are non existence"
  • Options
    I recall thinking just before Williams was subbed that it was good we had him on the pitch to draw fouls and allow us to close out the game better. He may have pulled out of a tackle, but he won the ball back and won us a free kick! let him lie on the floor in fake pain for 30 seconds, allow the team to reset/organise and that is how you do it.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Think Bowyer is being a bit of a nob here tbh. He seems to be losing it a little. Im not comfortable with him publicly digging out the players or trying to prove a point by subbing them early. Pull them over to the touch line and bollock them by all means, but this just seems a bit odd. As others have said, he does have history, Bonne, Morgan, Bogle, MM, the fans and he was probably a bit too honest about Levitt after Northampton this season too! Keep it in house ffs. Feels like our season is unravelling a little bit...
    I've said end of January will be my judgement of how we're doing this season. Nothing's changed. We're still on target despite being touching distance of first a few weeks back. 

Autos are still achievable, but we need to get back to being a team. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:

I like Bowyer and really hope we can turn it around but when MK dons played us of the park last week I thought something similar. 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Lurker said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:

I like Bowyer and really hope we can turn it around but when MK dons played us of the park last week I thought something similar. 

last 15 mins of the first half vs MK we were getting in to the game and IMO were on top.
    Shinnie's departure screwed us for the rest of that game and, as Shrewsbury confirmed, we really miss his creativity (and tackling!) in midfield. Need him back asap.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Cheers, when you say first team player were they in the starting 11 on saturday?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    I've said end of January will be my judgement of how we're doing this season. Nothing's changed. We're still on target despite being touching distance of first a few weeks back. 

Autos are still achievable, but we need to get back to being a team. 
    Yeah, let's be honest, we cobbled together a squad within two weeks so we are doing very well! The division is pretty average this year, so hopefully we can get back on track. I wasn't distraught after Gills, but I'm starting to get a bit more concerned after the last couple of performances. Just think Bow needs to reign it in a little with his post match comments! COYA
  • Options
    Lurker said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:

"It was a disgrace, they walked through us"
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    J BLOCK said:

Cheers, when you say first team player were they in the starting 11 on saturday?
    Yep 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

Nothing like dangling a carrot and waiting for a response :)
  • Options
    Wonder if we won't see Jackson speaking to the press after Saturday's game
  • Options
    If true, Pratley is my guess.