Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of the Year: Contenders revealed for 2020 BBC award

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Has to be Lewis , smashed basically every record in the sport and done a lot off the track too. Team of the year surely has to be Mercedes too . 

However I can see some vote stuffing from Liverpool fans for Henderson. 
  • Options
    I would say that Fury has come across like a total melt in that comment, but then again my general rule would be not calling the Heavyweight champion of the world a total melt..... 

But anyway back to a few things that come up every year with this

1) The personality bit. I agree with the comment above that it’s about the achievement of a sportsman/woman. If you check the thesaurus of personality on google take the second option:

Celebrity, Star, Name, Superstar.

That’s our answer to the likes of Mansell, Steve Davis etc.

2) Then my point around Hamilton that lit the fuse with me earlier. Suffice to say I work quite closely with Lewis but best leave it there. Whenever any social post or article comes up on him, you can guarantee the following comes up:

a) The watch case. Think I’ve said enough on that.

b) Tax. It’s an obsession with him. Move back to the UK and you get your knighthood and sports personality. But I don’t see this every time David Beckham, Nigel Mansell, Jenson Button, Nick Faldo .....(the list goes on) come up. Do people realise he owns two homes in the UK. His Uk tax bill is huge and probably beyond a lot of the list above. But for some reason everyone lasers in on him

c) Philanthropy. He doesn’t give enough to charity etc etc like person X Y or Z. He has constantly been one of the biggest donors to a number of UK children’s charities including Great Ormond Street. He gave 400,000 to the Australian Bush Fire charity. People said it wasn’t enough. Federer / Nadal pledge 250,000 between them. Heroes.

The double standards with the guy is beyond parody. If Lewis had declared himself the people’s champion and pulled out, what would we have got as a public response? I think we all know,

I think Jordan Henderson will win due to the Liverpool fans voting en masse like with Giggs. 

But it shouldn’t be. 
    DNS

2 serious questions:

Who do you think is the greatest driver - being objective and not just on stats?

LH has strong views on human rights - do you know why he races in countries with a poor human rights record
  • Options
    I would say that Fury has come across like a total melt in that comment, but then again my general rule would be not calling the Heavyweight champion of the world a total melt..... 

1) The personality bit. I agree with the comment above that it’s about the achievement of a sportsman/woman. If you check the thesaurus of personality on google take the second option:

2) Then my point around Hamilton that lit the fuse with me earlier. Suffice to say I work quite closely with Lewis but best leave it there. Whenever any social post or article comes up on him, you can guarantee the following comes up:

b) Tax. It’s an obsession with him. Move back to the UK and you get your knighthood and sports personality. But I don’t see this every time David Beckham, Nigel Mansell, Jenson Button, Nick Faldo .....(the list goes on) come up. Do people realise he owns two homes in the UK. His Uk tax bill is huge and probably beyond a lot of the list above. But for some reason everyone lasers in on him

c) Philanthropy. He doesn’t give enough to charity etc etc like person X Y or Z. He has constantly been one of the biggest donors to a number of UK children’s charities including Great Ormond Street. He gave 400,000 to the Australian Bush Fire charity. People said it wasn’t enough. Federer / Nadal pledge 250,000 between them. Heroes.

The double standards with the guy is beyond parody. If Lewis had declared himself the people’s champion and pulled out, what would we have got as a public response? I think we all know,

I think Jordan Henderson will win due to the Liverpool fans voting en masse like with Giggs. 

But it shouldn’t be. 
    DNS

2 serious questions:

Who do you think is the greatest driver - being objective and not just on stats?

LH has strong views on human rights - do you know why he races in countries with a poor human rights record

1) Greatest Driver? It's so hard comparing across generations. 5 or 6 come to immediate mind (in no particular order)

a) Hamilton. b) Schumacher c) Senna d) Clark e) Fangio f) Lauda

I struggle with Schumacher due to the blatant cheating. If you are the only guy to get DQ'd from an entire season then that rules you out. Senna - genius and had he not have had the accident then it could have been different. But then again his first title was in the most dominant car EVER.

Hamilton has so much going for his case. A crazy good junior CV. Insane skills in the wet (see also Senna). Won in cars that were not the best (the 2009 Mclaren was a hopeless piece of kit). The only black driver out of 775 F1 drivers in history is frightening and whatever the views nobody can claim he hasnt broken down barriers.

Personally I think I go with 

1) LH / Fangio
    2) Senna
    3) Clark

Second Question:

A very good one. And one that isnt simple. If he pulls out of a certain race on those grounds, then he breaks the agreement the teams have with the FIA. Theoretically he also could lose his license.

All he can do in that sense is back donations to specific causes outside of the public eye (which he does). If he does it publicly, then it will rile the FIA up and you have problems again.

I think when he retires he will be the opposite of a Button / Rosberg and you will barely see him near an F1 paddock again.
    Thanks; interesting insights
  • Options

Doing what, personal PR on football forums?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CIS4TsVF42-/?igshid=1f9henj94ylwt

Tyson withdrawing himself from the SPOTY list. 

Top man.
    He withdraws himself from an award that is voted for by the people, because he is the self proclaimed people's champion? 

I guess that makes sense in Britain in 2020...  

Doubt many of his fans pay much attention to it to be honest.  I've not watched it for years.  

He's a breath of fresh air in the bland media trained sporting world these days and massive respect for him to pick himself up from where he was with his mental health and demons and achieve what he has this year. Very inspirational.

I respect him for the fact that he doesn't need the twee SPOTY to validate his worth and as he says he receives the plaudits from his fans and the boxing world which is enough for him.

• Options

But it shouldn’t be. 
    DNS

2 serious questions:

1) Greatest Driver? It's so hard comparing across generations. 5 or 6 come to immediate mind (in no particular order)

a) Hamilton. b) Schumacher c) Senna d) Clark e) Fangio f) Lauda

I struggle with Schumacher due to the blatant cheating. If you are the only guy to get DQ'd from an entire season then that rules you out. Senna - genius and had he not have had the accident then it could have been different. But then again his first title was in the most dominant car EVER.

Hamilton has so much going for his case. A crazy good junior CV. Insane skills in the wet (see also Senna). Won in cars that were not the best (the 2009 Mclaren was a hopeless piece of kit). The only black driver out of 775 F1 drivers in history is frightening and whatever the views nobody can claim he hasnt broken down barriers.

Personally I think I go with 

1) LH / Fangio
    2) Senna
    3) Clark

Second Question:

A very good one. And one that isnt simple. If he pulls out of a certain race on those grounds, then he breaks the agreement the teams have with the FIA. Theoretically he also could lose his license.

All he can do in that sense is back donations to specific causes outside of the public eye (which he does). If he does it publicly, then it will rile the FIA up and you have problems again.

I think when he retires he will be the opposite of a Button / Rosberg and you will barely see him near an F1 paddock again.
    Hard to disagree with any of that.

Would agree with Senna's first title, but you could say the same with Button and Ross Brawn's techno masterpiece.
  • Options

Top man.
    He withdraws himself from an award that is voted for by the people, because he is the self proclaimed people's champion? 

Doubt many of his fans pay much attention to it to be honest.  I've not watched it for years.  

He's a breath of fresh air in the bland media trained sporting world these days and massive respect for him to pick himself up from where he was with his mental health and demons and achieve what he has this year. Very inspirational.

I respect him for the fact that he doesn't need the twee SPOTY to validate his worth and as he says he receives the plaudits from his fans and the boxing world which is enough for him.

So why make a big deal out of it on instagram then? 

I am pleased he has put some of his problems behind him, though.    

• Options
    Does George Russell starting on pole (I think he lead both practice days) add weight to just how superior Hamilton's car is? It doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic driver, but he has by far the best car?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Does George Russell starting on pole (I think he lead both practice days) add weight to just how superior Hamilton's car is? It doesn't mean he isn't a fantastic driver, but he has by far the best car?
    Russell isnt starting on pole... He's in P2

Trouble is you've had other drivers like Fisichella, Badoer, Sato who have all jumped into a Ferrari at very stages... Each of them going into an improved car from the one they'd spent the majority of their season in and did just as badly.

The car will of course help but you've also got to have a huge pair of balls to go a lot faster than what you're used to
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Russell isnt starting on pole... He's in P2

Trouble is you've had other drivers like Fisichella, Badoer, Sato who have all jumped into a Ferrari at very stages... Each of them going into an improved car from the one they'd spent the majority of their season in and did just as badly.

The car will of course help but you've also got to have a huge pair of balls to go a lot faster than what you're used to
    Yes, just seen that, not sure why I thought he was!!
  • Options
    BBC SPOTY was a show I watched as a kid I don't think I have seen more 5 minutes of one in the last 30 years. However it is great for sportspeople to celebrate each others achievements.

Personally I think Tyson Fury's destruction of Wilder earlier in the year was amazing and sealed an unlikely comeback, think he deserves it but he is a mix of the joker and the bigot so unlikely to win. If he isn't removed that is.
  • Options
    Aside from the fact it’s obviously not a total wagon - it also proves something that all the drivers are in agreement on from what I can see.

George Russell is potentially a future world champion. I rate him higher than Norris.

He is very, very good.

Also maybe Bottas isn’t quite as shit as some make out.

Race pace will tell us a lot as Bottas generally hasn’t been great and Verstappen loookee great on Friday 
  • Options

Top man.

I think this stems from them removing him from the shortlist in 2015 after he voiced his homophobic views. Then basically gave him zero coverage for a while. It is his payback to the BBC.

He is an odd chap.
  • Options
    This is a great insight into his talent as a child. He was prodigiously talented in karting and moved into the extremely powerful JICA class at 13. He was crazy young for it. The other kids had been in it for a while and were much older than him.

Not only did he win but he annihilated the entire field in monsoon conditions 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BfCZqdsNKAA
  • Options
    Definitely Lewis Hamilton for me, no-one else comes near.
  • Options

Bang standard delusional egomania from this meathead.  If he's "the people's champion" he'll win the vote hands down right?
    He's jammed so far up his own arse he has no idea it's a public vote not a corporate bestowed fancy.
    BBC probably thoroughly relieved that they won't have to pander to this thoroughly objectionable and highly unpredictable oaf.
  • Options
    George Russell's drive in the Merc must make the car a shoo in for the title. 
  • Options
    Loads of money must have come in for Henderson, he was around 33/1 when I looked earlier, now 6/4
  • Options

Top man.

The BBC slaughtered him a few years back so I guess he wants to tell them to stick it.

Understandable from his viewpoint.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henderson favourite now 
  • Options
    Enjoyed Klopp’s comment about winning team of the year in Manchester 

thought Exeter should have got team of the year though
  • Options
    Who on earth is that singing, she must be drunk., she's murdering the song.
  • Options
    Hahahaha Ronnie didnt even make top 3, despite the whole snooker world tweeting all day for everyone to vote for him
  • Options
    Well done Lewis Hamilton.
  • Options
    Now this is a man who should be voted for spoty

Not 1 ranking event win
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Bang standard delusional egomania from this meathead.  If he's "the people's champion" he'll win the vote hands down right?
    He's jammed so far up his own arse he has no idea it's a public vote not a corporate bestowed fancy.
    BBC probably thoroughly relieved that they won't have to pander to this thoroughly objectionable and highly unpredictable oaf.
    Give it a rest 
  • Options
    Hamilton made history this year. He had to win it.