Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sports Personality of the Year: Contenders revealed for 2020 BBC award

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Not been about personality for years. Considering Ryan Giggs won it, the whole thing lost credibility ages ago.
    It lost credibility when Mr Personality Nigel Mansell won it.
    If it was ever about personality as in having a bubbly, outgoing, cheerful take on life as opposed to being a personality - i.e. well known/famous (which it never was) then it lost it in 1960 when David Broome won it...  ;):D  
  • Options
    BBC try to big themselves up on this but hardly cover any sport compared to the past.
  • Options
    Because Sky and BT have the rights. 
  • Options
    I was reading the other day how few women have won this - only 13 in 66 years and that includes two royals (ahem). 

I was surprised that the poster girl Jessica Ennis-Hill never won, although has a second and three thirds. I've not even heard of Hollie Doyle.

The show has lost its pzazz imo.  Mo Farah didn't even turn up to collect his winner's trophy.  
    No woman has won it in the last decade and this is the reason why Judy Murray wants there to be a separate award for women. Whether anyone likes it or not women aren't as good as men in the majority of sports. 

That said, Hollie Doyle is a superb rider and certainly, in my opinion, the best British female flat jockey of all time. She's had this season 139 winners from 919 rides - she's 3rd overall in the Jockey's Championship and would not get the number of rides she is getting unless she was very good. She is more than capable of holding her own in a male dominated sport. 

No female this year has got anywhere near her achievements in 2020. Whether she should be the SPOTY winner is another question. 
  • Options
    No Johnathan Rea ?   6 Times World Superbike champion . 
  • Options
    The lack of recent female winners both reflects the fact that men's support is still much bigger than women's, but also the lack of British success in individual women's sport outside the Olympics, and Olympic years tend to be hyper competitive for the prize. There's no female equivalent of 3 time winner Andy Murray for example

If Dina Asher-Smith had won the 100m at the 2020 Olympics, that would have made her red hot favourite
  • Options
    I was reading the other day how few women have won this - only 13 in 66 years and that includes two royals (ahem). 

I was surprised that the poster girl Jessica Ennis-Hill never won, although has a second and three thirds. I've not even heard of Hollie Doyle.

The show has lost its pzazz imo.  Mo Farah didn't even turn up to collect his winner's trophy.  

That said, Hollie Doyle is a superb rider and certainly, in my opinion, the best British female flat jockey of all time. She's had this season 139 winners from 919 rides - she's 3rd overall in the Jockey's Championship and would not get the number of rides she is getting unless she was very good. She is more than capable of holding her own in a male dominated sport. 

No female this year has got anywhere near her achievements in 2020. Whether she should be the SPOTY winner is another question. 

If Hollie Doyle won it then I would be seriously pissed off if I was 1st overall in the Jockey's Championship. 

Would Lewis Hamilton have been nominated if he'd come third in the F1 championship? Or Ronnie O'Sullivan if he'd come 3rd in the World Championship?

Personally I'd never heard of her but I've done a bit of reading on her and it sounds like she's done great. She's small and strong and readily admits that she doesn't have to watch her weight like the male jockey's and when you look at it like that there really isn't any physical reason why a woman can't succeed at being top class jockey. She's young and has plenty of time on her side, so good luck to her. But she still only came 3rd, so in that context it smacks of tokenism.

Difficult to see past Hamilton this year. I'm no fan of Formula 1 but there is a serious lack of options. No idea at all why Jordan Henderson has been nominated. Liverpool in the team category, sure, but Henderson as an individual? No way. 
  • Options
    clive said:
    Perhaps Henry Cooper maybe the only winner who had a bit  of 'personality'
    Botham, Flintoff, Gazza, Stokes, Wiggins........ 
  • Options
    I suppose the question with Hamilton is whether this should be held back until next year when he's probably won his 8th title to go fully clear!
    Be interesting to see Lewis driving in a competitive motorsport with evenly matched cars. 

You mean like "a star in a reasonably priced car"?  He nearly won that as well :-) 
  • Options

Did you see his geography skills on I'm a Celebrity? I'm pretty certain he just got lost on the way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CIS4TsVF42-/?igshid=1f9henj94ylwt

Tyson withdrawing himself from the SPOTY list. 
  • Options
    Difficult year with a reduction in sport, but not much selection there. 

Hamilton clearly has the best achievement but Personally i’ve never classed motor racing or super biking as sports, so struggle with that one. People don’t generally warm to him either.

Bit of a nothing year. 
  • Options
    Ronnie
    Look what he's managed despite his well publicised demons. Most naturally gifted snooker player ever. I've seen him live, the speed and accuracy with both left hand and right is amazing. His total clearance in just over 5 minutes a few years back (a good few years back I think) was sublime.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of motorsport, but I think this should be Hamilton's year (again). I'm not in favour of holding it over for the 8th win. As likely as it is, there's no guarantees especially in a sport so dangerous. Also, I don't like the idea of reserving places because it makes it tougher on those next year.

I do think the shortlist underscores what a generally poor year it's been for sport. We'll never know what would have been, but I think had it been a normal year we might have seen and Olympian winner.

• Options
    Difficult year with a reduction in sport, but not much selection there. 

Hamilton clearly has the best achievement but Personally i’ve never classed motor racing or super biking as sports, so struggle with that one. People don’t generally warm to him either.

Bit of a nothing year. 
    You will definitely struggle this year for a winner..... Snooker is a game not a sport, then you have someone riding a horse (same concept as a car), Fury has buggered off. That's half the entrants straight up.

Stuart Broad isnt even Englands best bowler never mind the best player in the world.

Totally get that if you arent an F1 nut like me you're gonna be struggling with this one.
  • Options
    I kinda think the Beeb gave Rashford a special award to try and have both Hamilton and Rashford together on stage at the end. Admitedly I see his incredible contribution to society sitting outside the sports sphere, but I still expected him to be both nominated and win.
  • Options

Top man.
  • Options
    Andy Murray a previous winner as well and has zero personality, its about sporting achievement over the year
    Agree, and as such it has to be Lewis Hamilton. 

He didnt just become a World Champion. He did it for a 7th time. And became statistically the greatest driver in the history of the sport.

If Jordan Henderson won over him (or Fury for that matter) it would be a disgrace.

EDIT - Indeed a fair few Liverpool fans on Twitter are made up for him, but are saying Hamilton should win it hands

Andy Murray doesn't have zero personality, he just doesn't always show it. There have been lots of good comic relief etc sketches and he takes the piss out of himself and is v self-deprecating, unlike many others I could mention e.g. who don't want a company using his name despite them having been using it long before he was even born!
  • Options
    Ronnie
    Look what he's managed despite his well publicised demons. Most naturally gifted snooker player ever. I've seen him live, the speed and accuracy with both left hand and right is amazing. His total clearance in just over 5 minutes a few years back (a good few years back I think) was sublime.
    But surely SPOTY 2020 should be about what they have achieved in the sporting world in 2020

Lewish Hamilton, Multiple Grand Prix Wins
    Jordan Henderson Premier League, and Club World Cup.
    Hollie Doyle Multiple horse racing wins

Ronnie O'Sullivan, 1 ranking event win and didnt do great in non ranking events either, not even top in the rankings list and as you say that 147s was years ago(he should have been nominated then), this year in the big events other than the World Championships he hasnt achieved anything in the big events.

The Masters(he didnt even want to enter)
    UK Championship he fell in the 2nd round
    Chanpion of Champions lost in the semis

The coral series which there are 3 events 

Event 1 is top 32 on the 1 year list
    Event 2 is top 16 on the 1 year list
    Event 3 is top 8 on the 1 year list

He didn't even qualify for 2 out of 3 of those.

I just think surely its what you have achieved in the year not over your lifetime in the sport otherwise why have it every year lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boring, who cares
  • Options
    Andy Murray a previous winner as well and has zero personality, its about sporting achievement over the year
    Agree, and as such it has to be Lewis Hamilton. 

He didnt just become a World Champion. He did it for a 7th time. And became statistically the greatest driver in the history of the sport.

If Jordan Henderson won over him (or Fury for that matter) it would be a disgrace.

EDIT - Indeed a fair few Liverpool fans on Twitter are made up for him, but are saying Hamilton should win it hands

Andy Murray doesn't have zero personality, he just doesn't always show it. There have been lots of good comic relief etc sketches and he takes the piss out of himself and is v self-deprecating, unlike many others I could mention e.g. who don't want a company using his name despite them having been using it long before he was even born!
    Oh my days, are you serious here. Epic fail.

1) The Hamilton Watches piece. If you think that was Lewis personally you need to give your head a wobble. 

2) As a leader of one of the largest sports marketing agencies in the UK, let me allow you in to something. Sports stars and celebrities trademark their names. We advise all our talent to trademark their names. It is a total no brainer when you are worth so much - and its to prevent people making money from your image and IP.

Almost every single top tier sportsman and woman will have done the same. Usually to allow potential to launch product. Schumacher, Messi, Ronaldo all done the same.

Luckily there isnt already a 'Messi Footwear' or the golden child of football would have had an issue.

I know this case first hand. Lewis' TEAM (no Lewis doesnt embark on a bit of commercial / brand partnership work midweek), made the correct decision to put in an application to trademark his name. Surprised they havent done it sooner. With the aim in the future of being able to deliver fashion items, including watches, glasses etc.

The application was placed against 'Lewis Hamilton'. Not 'Hamilton Watches'.

Hamilton Watches took umbridge to a watch being made under 'Lewis Hamilton'.

The court case was an exceedingly simple affair, which effectively laid out some clarity around what product lines can be delivered. 

The cheeky bastards then tried to negotiate a round about deal to make a watch with his name on in a deal. I assume his team will tell them to fuck off.

So not quite as cut and dried as your version.
  • Options
    'Epic fail'?  Do you think that is a little (or a lot) over the top, lol? I responded to a comment about Murray having no personality, commenting on why I thought he did. And compared him to Lewis Hamilton, who as many others on here and elsewhere have made similar comments about his 'personality. I made a jokey reference abut the court case and my my comments seem to have bizarrely lit a touch paper! 

I hope your detailed reply has calmed you down. Maybe I am not the first (or last) to make reference and you are frustrated by our limited knowledge of the case?

I purposefully didn't comment about his achievements, only the 'personality' element. Personally, I agree it is about achievement not about personality per se and the name is a bit misleading/inaccurate. Maybe Star or Person didn't sound right when it was first created?

Goodness know what the BBC would call it if it were a new award in today's mindful climate
  • Options
    Surely it's about time George Digweed got some recognition for his achievements 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Horse racing is a sport competed on an equal basis between the sexes. 

No way should Holly Doyle be on this list. 
    It is tokenism of the highest order.

Henderson is a shoo in to win 
    Yep, I love my racing, but she is only listed as she's a woman. 
  • Options
    Jordan Henderson is like 4 blokes in a rowing boat giving every inch of their being to win an Olympic gold and then giving the award to the little cox at the front who shouted a bit.

if he wins it he’ll have to be carried up their by Van Dijk, Mane, Salah and co to match why he was nominated in the first place. 
  • Options
    Little cox at the front.
    *snigger
  • Options

Top man.
    He withdraws himself from an award that is voted for by the people, because he is the self proclaimed people's champion? 

I guess that makes sense in Britain in 2020...  
  • Options
    Jordan Henderson is like 4 blokes in a rowing boat giving every inch of their being to win an Olympic gold and then giving the award to the little cox at the front who shouted a bit.

if he wins it he’ll have to be carried up their by Van Dijk, Mane, Salah and co to match why he was nominated in the first place. 
    Jordan Henderson by Premier league winners and England International standards, as a player, is bang average. 

But his captaincy is so important, I don't think there is another current player like him.  He isn't in Liverpool, or England's, best 11 but for some reason they both look worse when he doesn't play.  

It seems to be a dying art, every team used to have at least 1.  
  • Options
    I would say that Fury has come across like a total melt in that comment, but then again my general rule would be not calling the Heavyweight champion of the world a total melt..... 

But anyway back to a few things that come up every year with this

1) The personality bit. I agree with the comment above that it’s about the achievement of a sportsman/woman. If you check the thesaurus of personality on google take the second option:

Celebrity, Star, Name, Superstar.

That’s our answer to the likes of Mansell, Steve Davis etc.

2) Then my point around Hamilton that lit the fuse with me earlier. Suffice to say I work quite closely with Lewis but best leave it there. Whenever any social post or article comes up on him, you can guarantee the following comes up:

a) The watch case. Think I’ve said enough on that.

b) Tax. It’s an obsession with him. Move back to the UK and you get your knighthood and sports personality. But I don’t see this every time David Beckham, Nigel Mansell, Jenson Button, Nick Faldo .....(the list goes on) come up. Do people realise he owns two homes in the UK. His Uk tax bill is huge and probably beyond a lot of the list above. But for some reason everyone lasers in on him

c) Philanthropy. He doesn’t give enough to charity etc etc like person X Y or Z. He has constantly been one of the biggest donors to a number of UK children’s charities including Great Ormond Street. He gave 400,000 to the Australian Bush Fire charity. People said it wasn’t enough. Federer / Nadal pledge 250,000 between them. Heroes.

The double standards with the guy is beyond parody. If Lewis had declared himself the people’s champion and pulled out, what would we have got as a public response? I think we all know,

I think Jordan Henderson will win due to the Liverpool fans voting en masse like with Giggs. 

But it shouldn’t be.