Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sports Personality of the Year: Contenders revealed for 2020 BBC award

The nominees are cricketer Stuart Broad, jockey Hollie Doyle, boxer Tyson Fury, Formula 1's Lewis Hamilton, footballer Jordan Henderson and snooker star Ronnie O'Sullivan.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/55101008

Comments

• Dont agree with Ronnie O'Sullivan 

Nothing to do with how I  feel about him either as i feel he should have been nominated in the past, but surely its based on what u have achieved over the sporting year, and he has won 1 ranking event, yes it was his 6th World Championship, but 1 ranking event for someone with his ability isnt great.
  • Marcus Rashford has been the bookies favourite for months. 
  • Will swerve this I think as can't bear to watch the tax dodger win. 
  • Hamilton should win it, but given it's a public vote i wouldn't be at all surprised if Liverpool fans get a campaign going and vote en masse for Henderson.
  • edited December 2020
    I'd love to see Broad win it but i doubt he will . Tyson is a great boxer and massive personality so if he wins i'd be happy.  Never heard of Hollie Doyle. Hamilton gets enough publicity Meh. Ronnie doesn't even like the sport he represents most pf the time , so it's no for me. Jordan Henderson's team has done well but i suspect he's not even the best footballer in his street let alone the country. 

Tyson or Broady it is. 
  • edited December 2020
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Marcus Rashford has been the bookies favourite for months. 
    He is getting a special award on the night 
  • Hamilton should win it, but given it's a public vote i wouldn't be at all surprised if Liverpool fans get a campaign going and vote en masse for Henderson.
    All Liverpool fans vote for Henderson 

All other fans vote for Hamilton or Fury 
  • Does the term "personality" not come into it then? I know Rashford is already getting a special award, but if nominated he would have been by far and away be the SPOTY for me.

Hamilton will probably win (and fairly enough), maybe Fury (great comeback stuff), but I'll be voting for Hollie Doyle for her sustained success in what has generally been a male-dominated sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• Andy Murray a previous winner as well and has zero personality, its about sporting achievement over the year
  • My biggest irritation about this award is the fact that people cant grasp the simplicity of the word "Personality"

Every year you'll see on Social Media idiots complaining that someone shouldnt be up for the award because they have a terrible personality - Seriously go look it up in the Dictionary, actually I'll save everyone the trouble!!

(1) the combination of characteristics or qualities that form an individual's distinctive character.
    (2) a celebrity or famous person.

Rightly the award should have nothing to do with your characteristics!!!
  • edited December 2020
    Perhaps Henry Cooper maybe the only winner who had a bit  of 'personality'
  • yay, it's the annual thread where people can't grasp that the word personality has more than 1 meaning. things would be much simpler if they just called it Famous Sportsperson of the Year

No idea who Hollie Doyle is and Jordan Henderson seems like an odd choice but I guess they're kinda limited given that there hasn't been too much sport this year

It's hard to see past Hamilton tbh
  • Should be either Rashford or Lewis imo; the former if you judge it on personality, the later if you judge it on sports
  • Tyson Fury for me.  To come back from the depths he has and win the heavyweight title the way he did.
  • edited December 2020
    rina said:
    yay, it's the annual thread where people can't grasp that the word personality has more than 1 meaning. things would be much simpler if they just called it Famous Sportsperson of the Year

No idea who Hollie Doyle is and Jordan Henderson seems like an odd choice but I guess they're kinda limited given that there hasn't been too much sport this year

It's hard to see past Hamilton tbh
    Hollie Doyle is a female flat jockey, who’s won some group races this year in England and France. She also had rides at the Breeders Cup meeting. She’s done wonders for the sports profile.
  • Lump on Henderson, he’s a shoe in for the vote
  • Sponsored links:

• Ronnie, for the greatest backing-of-chat in sports history
  • edited December 2020
    Andy Murray a previous winner as well and has zero personality, its about sporting achievement over the year
    Agree, and as such it has to be Lewis Hamilton. 

He didnt just become a World Champion. He did it for a 7th time. And became statistically the greatest driver in the history of the sport.

If Jordan Henderson won over him (or Fury for that matter) it would be a disgrace.

EDIT - Indeed a fair few Liverpool fans on Twitter are made up for him, but are saying Hamilton should win it hands down.
  • I suppose the question with Hamilton is whether this should be held back until next year when he's probably won his 8th title to go fully clear!
  • I suppose the question with Hamilton is whether this should be held back until next year when he's probably won his 8th title to go fully clear!
    Be interesting to see Lewis driving in a competitive motorsport with evenly matched cars. 

• Horse racing is a sport competed on an equal basis between the sexes. 

No way should Holly Doyle be on this list. 
    It is tokenism of the highest order.

Henderson is a shoo in to win 
  • Not been about personality for years. Considering Ryan Giggs won it, the whole thing lost credibility ages ago.
    It lost credibility when Mr Personality Nigel Mansell won it.
  • edited December 2020
    I suppose the question with Hamilton is whether this should be held back until next year when he's probably won his 8th title to go fully clear!
    Be interesting to see Lewis driving in a competitive motorsport with evenly matched cars. 

I suppose the question with Hamilton is whether this should be held back until next year when he's probably won his 8th title to go fully clear!
    Basically that’s his climb up the ladder from karting, through Formula Renault, Formula 3, and Formula 2. In which is record was probably the most dominant of all time.

Likewise would be good to see how Jordan Henderson grabs hold of a game playing in midfield for Barnet.
  • Can't believe Henderson is even nominated, if you took him out of that team last season they'd still have won the league.

Not really a fan of players from team sports winning, although in some cases like with Ben Stokes last year and Jonny Wilkinson when we won the Rugby world cup are decent exceptions.

Basically that’s his climb up the ladder from karting, through Formula Renault, Formula 3, and Formula 2. In which is record was probably the most dominant of all time.

Likewise would be good to see how Jordan Henderson grabs hold of a game playing in midfield for Barnet.
    F1 is not particularly competitive as you know and I'm not clear why you draw a parallel with a team sport - that's pretty nonsensical. 

Why it fails as a spectacle is nothing to do with the quality of the drivers and everything to do with the mismatched cars. Technology does not play such a big part in any other 'sport' yet F1 fans can't get this most basic of arguments.

Fyi I have been watching F1 since the 70s and found it less and less exciting to watch. The races used to be much more exciting to watch when I watched it in the 70s.

I'm not questioning the ability of Lewis but more the shortcomings of F1 as a sport. 

In any individual sport if you give the best drivers an additional advantage by giving them the best equipment they'll do even better. 

• I was reading the other day how few women have won this - only 13 in 66 years and that includes two royals (ahem). 

I was surprised that the poster girl Jessica Ennis-Hill never won, although has a second and three thirds. I've not even heard of Hollie Doyle.

The show has lost its pzazz imo.  Mo Farah didn't even turn up to collect his winner's trophy.