Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

Comments

• Options
    Yeah woeful tonight. Defence was shocking but I guess it's a makeshift defence. Poor individual performances. Only Morgan and Aneke looked capable tonight. Draw a line and move on from this. Ipswich well beaten at home so big game Saturday. Need a response.
  • Options
    Far too depressing to comment on that so just one question from me.

What the eff was Maatsen wearing on his feet tonight? If he slipped over once, he slipped over 20 times. 

Word of advice, young man. Wear some boots with proper studs. 
  • Options
    Just going to leave this here.

Would Lapslie have made a positive difference to that midfield?
  • Options
    That was without doubt the worst Charlton performance I have had the misfortune of watching under Bowyer. Let’s just hope it’s a one off and we bounce back against Ipswich on Saturday.

Every team is capable of having an off day (Villa v Liverpool for example). Hopefully that was ours. 
    You've certainly missed a good few then, its up there thats for sure but still dont think its the worst

Losing 4-0 to Leeds on the last day of the season probably the one for me, regardless of how good the opposition were
  • Options
    Southbank said:
    Not surprising we let in goals with a makeshift defence and three individual defensive errors. We will get murdered by Ipswich if we defend like that again. Hopefully Pearce will be fit to start on Saturday.
    The problem first half was lack of intensity, pedestrian build-up and lack of pace.
    On Saturday I would bring Purrington and Pearce in, play Maatsen left side of the diamond and Smyth right side for their pace. Morgan instead of Maddison.
                                     Amos
           Matthews Pratley Pearce Purrington
           Smyth Morgan Watson Maatsen
                        Washington Aneke
    Subs MB, Gunter, Oshilaja, Shinnie, Gibley, Matthews, Bogle

Pratley was all over the place. So slow on the ball, weak in the air, off with his marking. 
  • Options
    Lack of desire at the start set the tone and the game got away from us. When your striker beats 3 players putting the keeper on his back to create an open goal and it hits your strike partner and bounces into the arms of their keeper, you know it’s game over
  • Options
    Just going to leave this here.

Would Lapslie have made a positive difference to that midfield?
    He would have run around a lot, that's for sure
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It does irritate me that a lot of our fans are content to blame this on injuries - every club suffers them and that's what we have a squad for.

Shipping 4 goals against the bottom team who'd only won a single game this season is piss poor however you dress it up. We're in L1 ffs.

No excuses please Lee - just ensure no repeat on Saturday.
  • Options
    Just when I forgot how much I can hate us , that little baby comes along to remind me 

5%  Automatic promotion 
    75%  Play offs 
    20%   7th-12th 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Come back Ben Purrington... left back slot is yours again.
    I was waiting for a fellow CL member to lower their kecks and shit all over their feet in this precise manner

You lead a very strange life
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Waste of a game in hand, against bottom of the league. 
    It's not a game in hand.

Every club in the division played tonight, except Fleetwood v Sunderland tomorrow - which will then mean we drop out of the play off positions.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Dog shit awful no other word for it. 

Pratley and Gunter not centres backs and certainly not ball playing ones. It put us in trouble and the midfield could not handle being pressed which caused more panic. 

A big wake up call but we ain’t suddenly a bad team from one performance alone and trust in bowyer to get a response. 
  • Options
    Range Rover. Torturing Charlton fans since January 2020. 
  • Options
    On borrowed time not playing players in key positions in their proper positions, whether your hand is forced or not. No recognised centre back in both positions in 2 games is asking for trouble.

All fell apart today by a team who knew how to get at us.

What a wasted chance to try and get some momentum built against the upcoming game with Ipswich. 

Such a Charlton result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’d take a steady eddy Purrington performance over Maatsen tonight. Fcuking Bambi on ice 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Almost like a Les Reed performance in how clueless we were. Shinnie, Maddison, Gilbey, all hiding and did not want the ball. Morgan & Aneke were practically a two-man team when they came on. 

Some of the worst goals I've ever seen us concede

LB has had weeks to work with the squad on a style of play and we've taken a gigantic leap backwards!

Can't believe I stayed up til 5am watching that
    That is the concerning bit. 
  • Options
    I guess in the long run it won't ruin us, got tonked by Scunny last season down here and they went down and we went up. I'll say this much though, 3rd time I've watched us play Burton now and every time, even when we won the other 2 we make them look like world beaters, it's bizarre. Just noticed we have only played them 4 times ever.

Shocking all over the pitch, a right back and a defensive mid at centre back when we have a player on the bench who has proven he is a top end league 1 centre back, bonkers. 

Every player looked poor bar Albie and Chuks. I don't normally get angry watching Charlton but everytime we went backwards or did a side pass I couldn't help but get a bit annoyed

Ah well on to the next
  • Options
    also what has Bowyer got against wide midfielders or wingers?  Maatsen and Matthews had no support when going forward (apart from when Morgan came on) - Maddison is a total waste of space and I don't know who ws supposed to be on the left side of midfield as there was never anyone there
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    A match to forget really, apart from an excellent goal from Chuks. Lots of individual errors, and the defence as a unit having an absolute mare, so we end up losing 4-2.
    Your thoughts?
    I'd LIKE to forget it, but sometimes these horror shows are hard to forget.  (I'm still haunted by the home defeat to Southport in the 70s).  Burton played well and would argue that they pressed us into making those awful mistakes - but they were awful mistakes.  Could have finished 4-4, mind.

A reminder, I guess, why we need proper centre halves.  But more generally a game plan to deal with the pressing game
  • Options
    PWR but wondering how many watching live said we had to bring on Albie after half time ? 

The game was crying out for his energy and ability to pick a telling pass. 

Burton thoroughly deserved the 3 points though. 

Mr F said they came out winners by having the better attitude  but that doesn't give credit to their lads who ran and ran, albeit they had 12 men most of the time as did the Gills. 

I KNOW Bow has to rotate the squad with Sat/Tues games coming thick and fast but for gawd's sake, give Maddison a run out with the U23s to get him sharper....

Pretty disappointed, to say the least but when I read the overly optimistic posts on the prediction thread, I wondered whether they might come back to bite us on the bum, as per Saturday's game. 

Need to regroup and give a few of them a kick up the backside before they face the Tractor Boys. 

1 point out of a possible 9 would be my worst nightmeire. 
  • Options
    Chris Powell had Dagenham and Bowyer has Burton. Lucky that was behind close doors as would have got plenty of abuse for that showing.

Everything felt off from the start. Why bring Pearce and Deji along if they aren’t going to be used. Need to spark some motivation and creativity into that side ASAP.

Rubbish.

• Options
    There are pub teams a man down that would probably give Maddison a miss on that showing.

To a man though, we were about as sharp as a blunt pencil.
    Needless fails,sloppy passing. God only knows how many injuries we've picked up after that shoddy display.
    Will listen with interest as to what Bowyer puts it down to.