Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

Comments

• Options
    I thought that Saturday was bad but that performance tonight was truly awful. 
    Bowyer has to take some of the blame with his team selection. 
    If Pearce was fit enough to be on the bench then he should have started.
    How many starts does Bogle need before Bowyer realises that he isn't good enough?
    Albie needs to start. He's got more ability and vision than the rest of the midfield put together. 
  • Options
    Worrying result. Made a bottom of the table team team look like world beaters. Not sure what shape Bowyer was working on but it ain’t working. Shocking and a waste of 10 quid. 
  • Options
    I think Bows believed the current hype...that we should have stayed up in Championship / great wins on the bounce / wins will keep coming, hence why a bit of arrogance in the lineup ignoring Pearce and Barker.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Terry talks so much shit, his commentating has been as shit as our performance on the pitch. Like having my demented nan on the mic.
    Nice to see the focus on the right areas after a shit performance!!
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Come back Ben Purrington... left back slot is yours again.
    No thanks  :s
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    I was waiting for a fellow CL member to lower their kecks and shit all over their feet in this precise manner
  • Options
    Will post later.......I'm off to cheer myself up by watching Maggie Thatch on BBC4.
  • Options
    Awful from the team and Bowyer tonight. Bowyer needs to learn we are not going to play like Barcelona at these small grounds. Too much pissing about at the back has killed us today. We starting winning matches well when we are playing more direct but for some reason we are trying to play it from the back again.  Maddison needs to play behind the strikers not on the wing. It's also time for Bogle to have a rest unless he as injured in the first half. Matesen could barely stand up today, needs to get a new pair of boots. 

I am sure we will get it right but tonight was pathetic. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really poor from 6 or 7 players.

Washington, Morgan and Aneke have to start. The defensive changes for Saturday are obvious. Maddison shouldn’t be anywhere near the 1st team.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Wouldnt go that far... Morgan, Aneke, Washington and Amos are probably the only players who are guaranteed a place on Saturday, wouldnt be surprised if Aneke even starts from the bench but wouldn't expect knee jerk reactions from Bowyer

Certainly hope not as then we'll truly know that he's lost the plot
  • Options
    Back down to earth with a bang. Just dreadful. 
  • Options
    Good idea of Bowyer's to show Thomas not all the rebuilding required is off the pitch
  • Options
    This could be this seasons "Scunthorpe moment" let's hope, like that it's all forgotten come May.

Look on the brightside we were totally shit, but still only lost because of 2 total balls up at the back.  Amos and Pratley don't, and won't, do that every week.  We could have scored 3 or 4 on another day. 

No one who started had a good game, some of them will get pelters.  Some deserved some not.

I still think we will go up. 
  • Options
    That was by far the worst I've see n us play for a long-time. Defending was shambolic, midfield non-existent, especially in the first half, overall a game to forget, BUT LB needs to look at this and get it sorted for Saturday, and Pearce needs to start as does Aneke! We couldn't string 2 passes together Pratley was just awful, Gunter not much better, Maatsen had a stinker he couldn't stay on his feet from the first minute. Playing out from the back when we are being pressed that high doesn't work, a forgettable performance and evening.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    That was without doubt the worst Charlton performance I have had the misfortune of watching under Bowyer. Let’s just hope it’s a one off and we bounce back against Ipswich on Saturday.

Every team is capable of having an off day (Villa v Liverpool for example). Hopefully that was ours. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Not surprising we let in goals with a makeshift defence and three individual defensive errors. We will get murdered by Ipswich if we defend like that again. Hopefully Pearce will be fit to start on Saturday.
    The problem first half was lack of intensity, pedestrian build-up and lack of pace.
    On Saturday I would bring Purrington and Pearce in, play Maatsen left side of the diamond and Smyth right side for their pace. Morgan instead of Maddison.
                                     Amos
           Matthews Pratley Pearce Purrington
           Smyth Morgan Watson Maatsen
                        Washington Aneke
    Subs MB, Gunter, Oshilaja, Shinnie, Gibley, Matthews, Bogle

• Options
    If you stay tuned in to Valley pass, you usually get the interviews with the managers shown.

Could be "fun" listening to Bowyer.
  • Options
    Games like tonight (and Saturday for that) are the games you have to be winning if you are to go up! 

Bowyer got it wrong from the first minute, and there was no real reason to have changed the lineup- seemingly to shoehorn Gilbey in! 

Defence was shocking, and to have gifted the first two goals - from arguably the leagues most experienced players in gunter and pratley - is ludicrous... no excuses! 

Felt bogle was unfairly brought off, he hadn’t been given any service regardless of score - he will be upset with that, especially as aneke did little when coming on and given more service! 

Gilbey really was absent, as was shinney - felt Watson just wanted to come deep and pass sideways , was poor! 

Smyth looked decent but again, littler service! 
    Maddison was very bipolar - looked to beat his man but was impossible against such a sodden and compact midfield! 

Maatsen showed his youth and inexperience- very much a reserve team performance! 

HAVE to do better, especially in the run up to Xmas and jan! 
    Bowyer to blame
  • Options
    Goals for Chuks and Smyth
    Assist from Morgan

That's the good.

The bad was simple, Gunter and Pratley are liabilities at centre back and Amos was punished for a mistake at last 
  • Options
    Only positive was there were no fans there who have to trek back on a cold November night having watched that shit.

The scoreline looks bad because of how many goals we gifted them. To offer up a 2 nil lead with those hilariously bad individual errors was unforgivable. Glad Smyth got off the mark by forcing it in from up close and Anekes goal was superb. Ultimate super sub.

Gunter and Pratley can't be a centre back partnership again. Sooner see Barker start there alongside Pearce at the weekend, need some proper CB's in there. Get some minutes into Oshilaja if not, but can't have two centre backs on the bench whilst we shed 4 goals. 

Morgan has had a couple of very good games in the pizza cup and at Gillingham and has been rewarded with being dropped. Changed the game when he came on, got an assist, passed to a Charlton player and got an assist for his troubles. Has to be a regular starter now, stop pissing about with him Bowyer.

Typical Charlton, can't decide if we showed Burton too much respect or no respect at all, because they were well up for it and we weren't. Interesting to see which of us or Ipswich can respond to being beat.
  • Options
    Just to clarify as shit as everyone was it was defence that really let us down.

To concede 4 relatively easy goals is inexcusable.
  • Options
    Have  to say as good as pratley has done for us, please let that be his last game at centre back, absolutely atrocious all round display.Gunter, Amos and maatsen compounded the situation. We got what we deserved tonight,Any team needing a leg up must prey to play Charlton. Pretty awful tonight lads.😬😤.
  • Options
    10 Different levels of shite. I know we dont have CB's fit, but we lost that game in the first 10minutes, and that because Bowyer got the shape and setup wrong.
    This. We looked all wrong from the start. 

Players didn't seem to know positioning or their job on the pitch. Totally disjointed.
    You are making it unnecessarily complicated, Bowyer. Too clever by half - and we were 2-0 down and the damage done before trying to sort it out.

Remember KISS? Keep It Simple Stupid.