Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Good response from Bowyer 

Why what’s he done? Talk is cheap. Let’s see what we get Saturday before we judge if it’s a good response from Bowyer.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Gunter is a good player but needs a rest. Away with Wales, playing out of position. 

He's had a rest... He barely played for Wales whilst on International Duty
     Had to travel and no doubt train with them.
    Although fit,He's no spring chicken. I agree he needs a break
  • Options
    I disagree that it is a match to forget. 
    For me it’s the opposite. 
    A team wins 6 on the spin and keeps 7 clean sheets, then goes away to a mid table side and scrapes a draw. 
    Four days later, they concede four to the bottom side. 

I suspect there is an issue among the lads. 
    Happy to be proved wrong, but we have gone from playing Championship football to playing dog shite, so for me - something is rotten in SE7. 
    Or missing the two centre backs that have been immense so far.
    I don’t think there’s anything rotten.
    There is, the midfield mix. It hasn't been right since last October. 

Some of it you can't blame Bowyer for, some you can. Its shoe horning players in, at the expense of the right mix.  Although to be fair some times he hasn't had a choice. 

Doughty, McGeady and Maddison all meant others werent playing to their strengths. 

Also I notice JFC is having a case of the "Gilbey's" already.  Gets pelters when he plays but becomes the next Stevie G when he is injured. 
  • Options
    I'm glad I went to bed.
  • Options
    Morgan and Aneke did well, Washington wasted good chances, Maddison.  Well what can you say about Maddison.  Everything broke down on him. Morgan showed how poor Marcus was.

The rest were well below par, slow and didn't adapt their game soon enough.

Sometimes you need to go long just to make the other team have a different problem to worry about.

We're a better team than we showed tonight and Ipswich got pumped too.

Lee Bowyer's Red and White Army

Bowyer refuses to go long though.
    I know I've said it numerous times, but I asked him why he didn't mix it up a bit, when it seemed the
    fannying around , passing sideways and backwards was clearly not working (like tonight) and he said that's the way he wants to play to keep possession.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Blucher said:

That was truly atrocious.

A diabolical first half, in which we were totally unable to cope with Burton’s high press and general intensity. Too much fannying around at the back cost us dear; to give the opposition one goal like that is terrible, to give them a second is quite unforgivable and I can’t remember us doing that in 52 years of watching Charlton. We lost out on every 50/50 ball and our players lack of movement meant that we were unable to break the lines and cause Burton any difficulty whatsoever. Smyth’s goal shortly before half time gave us a lifeline which, quite frankly, flattered us. 

We started the second half with a little more vigour (it could hardly have been less) but some further defensive ineptitude from a corner restored Burton’s two goal lead. The introduction of Albie Morgan made a big difference and his clever ball into Aneke and the latter’s cross was nearly put away by Washington from a couple of yards out. Aneke’s chest control and beautifully hooked volley from Albie’s instant cross put us back in game but less than 10 minutes later Burton effectively put the game to bed following more feeble defending.

We came close one more time but Burton ended up easy and thoroughly deserved winners. A pity that Pearce couldn’t get some minutes, as we really do need him back in central defence. On the basis of that performance, Charlie Barker may also be getting some game time before Inniss and Famewo are back in harness.

The only real positives on a generally abysmal night were the performances of two of our substitutes, Aneke and Albie Morgan. Our defence was hopeless and the midfield, with the exception of Morgan, very poor, with Maddison an almost complete passenger.

The effective approach which Burton deployed against us will certainly not go unnoticed in this division and we need to seriously up our game and be prepared to adapt it where necessary. It is important not to overact to a first defeat in nine games - we haven’t become a poor team overnight - but there is much to ponder before Saturday’s trip to Ipswich.

Excellent summary again, @Blucher said before, but always enjoy/look out for your posts. We see the game through the same lens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Difficult to see how poor Bogle was on tv as you can’t always see the movement, or lack of. You have hope in players like Maddison and Maartsen when they get the ball in advanced positions as they have the quality and showed that on occasion, but so many mistakes tonight. Lots of players went missing completely tonight. People have already mentioned the defence situation and obvious shambles for the goals. This needs addressing one way or another as that just can’t be repeated for a third game running. Albie and Chuks made an impact which is good, though the whole game was like pushing water uphill and only ourselves to blame.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Ipswich are out of sorts too so hopefully there's a reaction come Saturday. 
  • Options
    Saturday is going to finish 7-7 at this rate...
    That is pure comedy.
  • Options
    Morgan and Aneke did well, Washington wasted good chances, Maddison.  Well what can you say about Maddison.  Everything broke down on him. Morgan showed how poor Marcus was.

The rest were well below par, slow and didn't adapt their game soon enough.

Sometimes you need to go long just to make the other team have a different problem to worry about.

We're a better team than we showed tonight and Ipswich got pumped too.

Lee Bowyer's Red and White Army

Bowyer refuses to go long though.
    I know I've said it numerous times, but I asked him why he didn't mix it up a bit, when it seemed the
    fannying around , passing sideways and backwards was clearly not working (like tonight) and he said that's the way he wants to play to keep possession.
    You know my thoughts on Bowyer
  • Options
    Pretty concerning that Bogle was subbed after 30 minutes for tactical reasons, when our other target man striker Aneke is made of glass.
    Bowyer has said it wasn't tactical - Bogle just wasn't doing what he'd been asked.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    One thing I would say especially now we can make more is time to have a more settled starting 11, too much chopping and changing find your 11 players and make the others earn their spots. I do think too much tinkering leads players becoming complacent.
    This is something I've touched on before.

I get the thinking  behind rotating the squad - it keeps players fresher and all the squad are involved.
    Players are content. Every player knows they are going to play at some point.

But the shirt isn't earned.

I might be old school, but I firmly believe you have 'to earn the shirt' ........ you fight to keep your place, knowing that if you let your standards slip, there's a hungry player desperate to play in your place. It's competitive, it gives you that edge and you have to be 100% on your game.

Where's the hunger and competition for the shirt in rotation?

I agree, but the rotation of the squad is an outcome of Bowyer not knowing our best XI yet, mainly because we were under a transfer embargo until about three games into the season. That was always going to have impacts and I think this is one of them, were basically still learning things about this group of players that would normally be worked out during pre-season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2020
    Well that sucked. Gifted them goals but even without the help they wanted it more. Match report;

http://thefootballfansview.com/2020/11/24/match-report-burton-albion-4-2-charlton-athletic/
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    PopIcon said:
    Terry talks so much shit, his commentating has been as shit as our performance on the pitch. Like having my demented nan on the mic.
    Think that is a bit over the top but I’d agree in that the commentating is pretty poor. What idea people get of the game who are only listening heaven only knows.

Also, mixing up Shinnie/Gilbey or Gunter/Matthews gets a bit tiring (especially if, as you say, you're only listening).
    Easily done. They've all got beards.

• Options
    cabbles said:
    Davo55 said:
    A shockingly clueless performance that would not have looked out of place on Blackheath one Sunday morning. Virtually all the players hugely below par. Only Chuks and Albie can hold their head up after that, and perhaps Conor too. Everyone else should be ashamed. And that includes Lee Bowyer, who was tactically inept. Playing out from the back does NOT mean interminable inaccurate passing around the back line. Going direct does NOT mean simple pumping it for Chuks to go after. He was far too slow to identify the problems and far too slow to respond.

Burton knew what our game plan was and countered it very easily, and finally put the kind of pressure on our makeshift central defence that betrayed their inexperience in those positions. They thoroughly deserved their victory and in doing so, cast serious doubts on our promotion pretensions.

Simply fucking dreadful.
    Completely agree with this.  I wasn’t happy after Saturday, and I thought they would put it right with a more inventive and creative performance tonight.  How wrong was I.  It was so bad it’s difficult to know where to start.  As others have mentioned, the injuries at the back have thrown us, but I thought Pratley and Gunther were woeful tonight.  This sense of Pratley being Mr Dependable needs to be reigned in.  He gave away a pen at Lincoln, was at fault for a goal against Donny and looked ropey on Saturday, and was really put through the mill tonight.  Gunther not much better.  I think Louis Mendez did a bit on Bowyer saying he wasn’t too concerned with the injuries at the back and how he thinks those two are more than capable of stepping in.  Absolutely not.  No pace, Pratley playing for fouls and passing it sideways, Gunther exposed and was probably one of the worst out there tonight.  Maatsen was poor, but he’s young, and to his credit he was still trying to get forward late on.  Hopefully he’ll learn more tonight than he has in all the games he’s played so far.

The midfield is so pedestrian.  They all take turns to drop deep and do very little.  Shinnie, Gilbey, Watson.  None of them had a clue tonight.  Maddison was poor.  Only when Morgan came on did it look like we had any guile.  Up top was just as bad, apart from Aneke.  As you say Davo, only Aneke and Morgan came out of tonight with any credit.  The rest should take a long hard look at themselves.  Bowyer as well.  He doesn’t know his best team yet, and I get he’s dealing with all our centre backs being out, but we’re not Man City/Liverpool.  Rotating is all well and good, but the players on the pitch have to have an identity, shape and a game plan.  At the moment, it seems like he’s just guessing with this team selection.

Honestly, watching that felt like being back in Luzon/Peeters/Frayere era.  1 point from these 2 games is really poor.  Really poor 

credit to Burton.  They closed us down, went for it and got their rewards, albeit through some mistakes, but I would take their approach over our backwards/sideways shit show any day 
    At the end of the day that's the way Bowyers telling them to play.

• Options
    That was bad 

I'm sure everyone has picked holes in the fuck ups. Bright shining lights were Morgan who made something happen everytime he touched the ball he is going to be an integral part of this side. And Chukademus Aneke who is proving to be the monster we all knew him to be and. What. A. Goal 

Hopefully Lee Bowyer was gambling on Burton being as shite as their league position suggests and giving the centre halves time to recover. Lesson learnt 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Valley11 said:
    Gunter is a good player but needs a rest. Away with Wales, playing out of position. 

He's had a rest... He barely played for Wales whilst on International Duty
    I don’t think you quite understand the demands of international football when you’re a senior player. Away from home for ten days. Living in hotels. Then back to Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday being a makeshift centre half in the up and under of League 1. 
    He was superb against Portsmouth but in my opinion, needs a break.
  • Options
    siblers said:
    I'm sure that there will be a reaction. Unfortunately, it's more likely to come from Ipswich, just as Burton reacted to their home defeat to Northampton. 
  • Options
    siblers said:
    I'm sure that there will be a reaction. Unfortunately, it's more likely to come from Ipswich, just as Burton reacted to their home defeat to Northampton. 
    Here they come people
  • Options
    These stats don't tell the whole story, but another game during which we have dominated possession and not won. 

(The low battery warning seems very fitting)

You're dead right there. Optimiser 10% is the most telling stat on that page  :(
  • Options
    Pretty concerning that Bogle was subbed after 30 minutes for tactical reasons, when our other target man striker Aneke is made of glass.
    That tells you how bad Bogle was in those 30 minutes. 
    I dont think Bogle was overly bad... Maybe his movement off camera wasnt good enough - Was certainly challenging well at times, just the ball wasnt quite sticking enough... Would give the Burton players more credit than blame Omar for that
    Bogle is never where he should be when his strike partner has the ball. Smyth fires one across the face, and hven in the box. He holds the ball up ok (nowhere near as good as Chuks), but he's never in a goal scoring position, and I think that's what annoyed Bowyer this evening.