Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Thread: Burton Albion v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 24th November 2020

Comments

• Pretty concerning that Bogle was subbed after 30 minutes for tactical reasons, when our other target man striker Aneke is made of glass.
    That tells you how bad Bogle was in those 30 minutes. 
    I dont think Bogle was overly bad... Maybe his movement off camera wasnt good enough - Was certainly challenging well at times, just the ball wasnt quite sticking enough... Would give the Burton players more credit than blame Omar for that
  • BFG94 said:
    Well, that was a waste of a tenner. Absolute shambles - did we ever pass the ball forward in the first half? All you heard from the match commentators was ‘Charlton play it backwards’ or ‘Charlton play it sideways’. How many goals have we conceded by fannying about at the back? Surely we have to do better on Saturday.
    I was saying to my daughter (and have for ages) all this passing round the back we will get caught out and concede at times because of it. Two of their goals came from misplaced passing across the back 5. 
  • Pretty concerning that Bogle was subbed after 30 minutes for tactical reasons, when our other target man striker Aneke is made of glass.
    Maybe Bowyer thinks he is more fragile than he is. He played a full season for MK Dons before joining us. He picked up a slight knock against Blackpool but is probably ready to start now. 

I think him coming on allowed us to bypass the press as we had an outlet. Even if Aneke didn't win clean ball, he stopped them doing so. He provided an outlet that was needed. 
  • Gunter is a good player but needs a rest. Away with Wales, playing out of position. 

• edited November 2020

Injuries,  almost feel like the norm and I don’t think we’ll ever have everyone available but it’ll give us an excuse all season with wait till everyone’s fit .
    The league is so shit I think we could get promotion some way or other by not producing our best for a lot of the season .
    To me it looks like there’s so much more we can produce but I’m not sure we will produce it that often .

edit : posted this on Saturday and feel it's appropriate to say again 
  • Bogle isn’t good enough IMO. Chucks can’t play 90 as LB keeps saying so people need to stop expecting him to start - instead we need to firmly be eyeing up decent strikers for January. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Terry talks so much shit, his commentating has been as shit as our performance on the pitch. Like having my demented nan on the mic.
    Think that is a bit over the top but I’d agree in that the commentating is pretty poor. What idea people get of the game who are only listening heaven only knows.
    I dont think Bogle was overly bad... Maybe his movement off camera wasnt good enough - Was certainly challenging well at times, just the ball wasnt quite sticking enough... Would give the Burton players more credit than blame Omar for that
    Burton handled him well, but  when Chuks came on he immediately looked a threat, winning headers in the air and looking much more dynamic in his play. When a direct swap makes such a change, especially when the player replaced was still fresh, that's pretty damning
  • Valley11 said:
    Gunter is a good player but needs a rest. Away with Wales, playing out of position. 

He's had a rest... He barely played for Wales whilst on International Duty
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2020
    Maybe our lot just believed their own results and took it for granted that we were entitled to a win.  Arrogance, pride before a fall, all that.  Burton knew where they stood and did what they needed to do.  I really hope they fight their way out of the relegation zone.  They deserve it.  A good shake up for us - hopefully will keep us honest.
  • We were too complacent from the start  , and couldn't match their work rate  . Bogle probably wasn't our worst player  . Stating the obvious , but Aneke   , Morgan and Pearce must start on Saturday. 
  • PopIcon said:
    Terry talks so much shit, his commentating has been as shit as our performance on the pitch. Like having my demented nan on the mic.
    Think that is a bit over the top but I’d agree in that the commentating is pretty poor. What idea people get of the game who are only listening heaven only knows.
    For me, it's the stuff like "you've got to be JOKING me!" that's just loudly pronounced out of nowhere instead of describing the action. I get, and understand, and tolerate the bias (even though it inevitably leads to inaccuracies). But pronouncing judgement on the ref/players/managers etc is distantly secondary to describing the action.

Also, mixing up Shinnie/Gilbey or Gunter/Matthews gets a bit tiring (especially if, as you say, you're only listening).
  • I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist because for the first game in 9 we have come away without a point.  I'll leave that for if we dont get anything from the next two.
  • Simonsen said:
    There wasn't some sort of genius master plan from Burton.....they just worked very hard, closed us down, marked their men and got in first. Basically, what every good team has done in English football since time began. You see defenders pissing about with it, so you immediately close them down and force errors. The defenders probably didn't want to go long because we had a midget playing up front with a bloke who couldn't win a thing and unfortunately Bowyer has to take some of the blame for setting us up like that to start with. 

It just looked like we turned up expecting a nice little 3-0 cruise and couldn't believe Burton would actually have the nerve to close us down repeatedly. 

That said, it was an odd game in so much that we had so many chances in that 2nd half but only scored one from a non-chance. 
    It's madness playing Smyth up front in this league (or probably any other one). The guy is a good player but he just doesn't have the build or height to play up front and hold the ball up and he just gets thumped all over the place by the hulking brutes that all teams have in the centre of their defences.

If you're going to play him, play him wide in midfield where he can make a positive contribution to the team.

• agree with all the points about the defensive errors and stupidity in not using Barker, Pearce or Oshilaja - but it was in midfield that we lost it - no-one showed for the ball, moved in to space or created options and the back 4 were put under increased pressure and in possession either went sideways (and gifted them 2 goals) or resorted to long balls.  
    Was going to post something similar. Think defense needs to take their share of the blame but midfield was really poor as well. Gilbey looked way off the pace. Shinnie had an off night, and without the ability to play to those two, Watson is wasted in his ability to dictate play.

It was the same on Saturday as well. We can keep it between the keeper, two center backs, and holding midfielder, but moving it up the pitch is harder. That's what worries me the most. We've got some technically good midfielders, but teams know that and will press us in the middle third and look to overrun midfield. And with that, we struggle to move the ball forward. 

When that happens, you have the choice of going long, which we started doing when Chuks came on, and he is a very good target man. Or going wide, which we tried to do but Smyth was playing centrally (which was baffling) and Maddison was playing poorly (which was not, he has not looked up to it yet). 

Wholesale changes needed for Satruday. Bring in Pearce and Deji and Chuks from the start. If fit, I'd have JFC in midfield alongside Watson and Shinnie. Morgan and Washington wide. 
  • edited November 2020
    Simonsen said:
    There wasn't some sort of genius master plan from Burton.....they just worked very hard, closed us down, marked their men and got in first. Basically, what every good team has done in English football since time began. You see defenders pissing about with it, so you immediately close them down and force errors. The defenders probably didn't want to go long because we had a midget playing up front with a bloke who couldn't win a thing and unfortunately Bowyer has to take some of the blame for setting us up like that to start with. 

It just looked like we turned up expecting a nice little 3-0 cruise and couldn't believe Burton would actually have the nerve to close us down repeatedly. 

That said, it was an odd game in so much that we had so many chances in that 2nd half but only scored one from a non-chance. 
    It's madness playing Smyth up front in this league (or probably any other one). The guy is a good player but he just doesn't have the build or height to play up front and hold the ball up and he just gets thumped all over the place by the hulking brutes that all teams have in the centre of their defences.

If you're going to play him, play him wide in midfield where he can make a positive contribution to the team.
    Or play him up front with the bloke (Aneke) who is guaranteed to win headers

Dont see the issue with his height when Leo Messi is smaller
  • Burton will have come out trying to win their last 20 games..... They achieved that objective once in those 20 games. They came out with the same objective tonight and firmly put us on our arse. So why has that happened.... over to LB.. because it is not because Burton have been transformed in to a super side.

Let’s not pick on Madison and Bogle, pretty much everybody was culpable in that shambles. Aneke, great goal and looked lively, but also had his time lumbering around looking lost.  

Put it behind us, and go again. I still believe we are the good team we saw a few weeks ago, rather than shower of shit, in last two games. 
    I don't knock his lack of effort. I just don't think that he is good enough. If the ball doesn't stick and that seems to be the case more often than not, then he doesn't offer much.
    The difference between him and Chuks is clear to see. 
  • PopIcon said:
    I watch the games with the sound down.

• Sponsored links:

• Just going to leave this here.

Would Lapslie have made a positive difference to that midfield?
    No
  • edited November 2020
    Simonsen said:

Or play him up front with the bloke (Aneke) who is guaranteed to win headers

Dont see the issue with his height when Leo Messi is smaller
    No sorry, disagree. It doesn't matter who he partners up front, he's just not got the physique or stature to do it successfully.

And Messi might be a slightly better player than Smyth.
  • edited November 2020
    Burton will have come out trying to win their last 20 games..... They achieved that objective once in those 20 games. They came out with the same objective tonight and firmly put us on our arse. So why has that happened.... over to LB.. because it is not because Burton have been transformed in to a super side.

Let’s not pick on Madison and Bogle, pretty much everybody was culpable in that shambles. Aneke, great goal and looked lively, but also had his time lumbering around looking lost.  

Put it behind us, and go again. I still believe we are the good team we saw a few weeks ago, rather than shower of shit, in last two games. 
    I think the difference was that Burton set out to nullify us rather than beat us. That was how they thought they could beat us. They probably tried to beat Northampton on Saturday. The issue was their tactics were working and after they scored their first, Bowyer should have changed things. 

The passes the back four made were not opening them up and were not necessarily a pass to somebody in a better position. You keep doing that you lose the ball through a poor pass or through pressure. We needed to bypass the press tonight. But we were not winning enough second ball.

Aneke was the right sub as he was a target. It allowed us to play more direct. But we were 2 nil down when it was made. When we attacked them, they did look vulnerable. Bowyer got it wrong tonight but hopefully he will get it right on Saturday. Ipswich may not try to nullify us although after watching tonight they probably will try the high press. We need a contingency to counter that quickly if it happens.  
  • Found Maatsen's performance baffling, what's happened to him in the past 2? Genuinely think I could've done better than him out there tonight ffs. Onto the next one, think Saturdays game is a perfect opportunity for us.